• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 5.03 "Unleashed" - Aired 10/15/2003 (WB-US)

Flannen

Flannix
Angel helps a newly infected werewolf named Nina, who is being hunted by a mysterious and wealthy organization. Nina is offered shelter at Wolfram & Hart, but when it turns out that the hunters have a mole in the company, Nina's sanctuary may become a trap.
Source: TV.com

Discuss this episode here!

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
Just re-watched this, & I love that final scene. It's not very often that we get to see the gang relaxed & enjoying each others' company. More important than the werewolf story (even though I do like Nina) is that the gang reconnected, even briefly, especially after taking over W&H.

Jules

Bite Me
Black Thorn
So there are different types of werewolves, that's one way to differentiate between the shows. I like Nina, I dont think I'll like her as Angel's love interest but I'm a die hard Bangel. You can understand the connection though, there both good people with a dark side and Angel will be a good mentor.

I love that Fred saw through Spike's act, especially about why he wouldnt ask Wes!

Having the bad of the episode be that they were going to eat the werewolf was different. Angel letting the bad guys have that Doctor just shows how much they are slipping from being the good guys.

I loved the end scene as well, it was so sweet and Lorne's so funny!

Step

Townie
Fred killed this episode, she was great.

I really like seeing Fred and Spike interact, it's funny.

Seeing Angel willingly gave up that guy was really weird to me =/
He has obv changed since he went to W&H but I didn't think he'd actually do that lol.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
I don't find it that difficult to see Angel giving them the doctor. After all, he allowed Drusilla and Darla to kill off the leading people in Holland Manners' wine cellar. A bit of ruthlessness helps the drama twist in directions you might not expect. Note that that episode was before there was any thought of Angel taking over Wolfram & Hart.

This episode reminded me of "The Freshman", a movie about a university freshman who gets dragged into a plot to hold expensive feasts of the endangered species of the world. If you saw the movie, the part where the Komodo Dragon escapes and terrorizes a mall was shot at Woodbine Mall - I sometimes used to eat lunch there when I worked in Rexdale, part of west Toronto.

PassionBecoming

Minuscule Redheaded One
Sineya
-Yeah, probably good to be extra careful when working in the belly of the beast (W&H). Love the picnic idea. Haha.
-Wesley is so jeeaaaallllooousss. Heh. And Fred with the awkward.
-"Everyone here got something out of it." Gunn has a point. I don't think they sold their souls (directly), but there will be a price to pay.
-Fred talking about plates. Maybe that's the ploy: keep the Fang Gang busy and they won't have time to deal with things outside the firm. And making Spike be stuck there a distraction. Hmm.
-Haven't seen a werewolf on these shows in awhile. Angel has no qualms about taking it out - would Buffy had killed it in that same situation? Not sure.
-I wonder what ghost Spike does all day. That has to be so boring.
-Haha. I was wondering when Spike and Wesley ever crossed paths! though I lost my mind for a minute.
-There are breeds of werewolves? Huh. I suppose over time they evolve...
-Spike needs to quit being cantankerous. I would like to throw something at his non-corporeal self.
-I don't recall Oz being all weird and sick before he turned, but I suppose maybe that doesn't happen after a few full moons.
-The thing with the hamburger is freaky and gross.
-Traffic cameras. Goog thinking, Lorne.
-Nina's house looks super cute!
-Ugh, don't go up there, little girl!!!
-Tranq guns are your friends!
-That would be such a terrifying feeling. Learning you're a beast and what you wanted to do to your family. :(
-She thought Angel was a frankenstein. Hahahahaha
-Equal-opportunity saver. Yay for puppy saving!
-Why is Angel letting this one girl/werewolf get under his skin so much?
-"This isn't a good time." "No, it never is."
-Weird ninja guys. Interesting. And creepy.
-He's singing Rick Springfield!!!!!!!!
-Glad Fred is observant. And knew Spike was helping. :)
-They EAT werewolves?!?! Eeeewwwww. And raw apparently.
-Well, there's two problems dealt with.
-"I'm buying." "Ladies and gentleman, Hell just froze over." Heehee. Cheap Angel.
-That ending made me all happy inside. Nice to see the gang being normal and happy. :)
-Which probably means this next episode is not going to be fun to watch.

Charmander

Potential
I found it pretty morbid that Angel let the Doctor get taken away. It would have perhaps been more fitting if the guy organising the werewolf buffet had got bitten instead. I liked the episode though and Nina was an interesting character. It helps that the werewolf costume was less goofy than the one they used on Buffy (Which explains why they brought in different werewolf types rather than just having the audience assume that werewolfs just happen to look different now).

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
I noticed a metaphor in this episode:
Angel Investigations helping Nina while ignoring Spike and his 'ghost issue' mirrors parents with a disabled child and 'typical' child helping thier disabled child while ignoring thier typical child because the disabled child obviously needs more help.

I felt really bad for Nina when they served her up, also felt bad for Spike when they ignore him :(

I loved the scene where Angel explains to Nina how being a vampire is similar to being a werewolf, even though they are both different creatures. :)

Sidenote: Fred was really hot in this episode ;)

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
Picnic :p

Fred, you like Knoky...:p

Fred, no need to explain...

Angel, you signed a contract...

Poor lady :(

Werewolf :eek:

Angel :D

I like seeing Fred in her natural habitat :)

Spike :eek:

Fred, please don't swear, it doesn't look good on you...

Wes and Spike, when was that ??? o_O

Poor Spike :(

So there are different types of werewolves ??? o_O

Poor girl :(

So being a werewolf comes with super hearing ??? :confused:

Nina is not OK...:(

Angel... :rolleyes:

Superhearing must suck :(

Amanda, go check on your aunt...

Werewolf :eek:

Don't :eek:

Oz looked better than that as a werewolf...

I can see why Nina is horrified...

Nina, that's you :(

Socially awkward Angel came back for a bit :)

Nina, Angel is not a Frankenstein, he wasn't made of parts and he looks nothing like Boris Karloff...

Spike, not helping...

Spike :eek:

Three nights a month is nothing :)

Fred knows about the time Angel rescued a puppy :D

Angel is quiet complicated...

Angel, you are not OK...

Angel has gained a bit of weight...

Fred got better at lying... :)

No :(

What has Nina even done to deserve this ??? :(

At least Fred's back :)

Tell him...:mad:

Screw those cannibals... :mad:

Nina... :(

Fred, save the Spike...

Nearly indestructible, emphasis on nearly :p

Angel has a nice place :)

Next time: Spike and hell...

Mr Trick

Scooby
I don't find it that difficult to see Angel giving them the doctor. After all, he allowed Drusilla and Darla to kill off the leading people in Holland Manners' wine cellar. A bit of ruthlessness helps the drama twist in directions you might not expect. Note that that episode was before there was any thought of Angel taking over Wolfram & Hart.

This episode reminded me of "The Freshman", a movie about a university freshman who gets dragged into a plot to hold expensive feasts of the endangered species of the world. If you saw the movie, the part where the Komodo Dragon escapes and terrorizes a mall was shot at Woodbine Mall - I sometimes used to eat lunch there when I worked in Rexdale, part of west Toronto.
Also the doctor was hardly innocent since he was the mole and the one responsible for Nina being put in danger. Not saying that justified Angel's decision but if it was a choice between saving Nina or the doctor it's no surprise he chose Nina.

This is a good episode. I'm not so keen on Nina becoming a love interest for Angel either though.

Top Bottom