• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 5.04 "Out of Mind" - Aired 10/17/00 (WB-US)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
The increased strength and speed given to Riley by the Initiative are starting to tear his body apart. He must be operated upon immediately to repair the damage, but that will mean giving up his enhanced fighting ability and any chance of keeping up with Buffy.
Source: TV.com

Discuss this episode here!

Sineya
I thought the begining of this was kinda funny, Buffy trying to do her slaying in the cemetary but Riley and Spike keep jumping in before her lol :D
Loving Buffy's new workout space at the back of the Magic Box, I always wonder what that symbol is painted on the wall though..any ideas???

I guess this episode is mainly about Riley, which doesn't really do it for me, as I've never really like him :rolleyes: lol
I don't get the bit where Spike is having his chip removed though, Harmony says she can see the chip but the dr doesn't remove it as he says he can't do it, as he's not that kind of dr, was he just saying that so he didn't remove the chip or could he really not remove it, if so, why? seeing as Harmony could see it?? :rolleyes: lol
The end bit where Spike realises he actually loves Buffy is quite funny and a good twist I think :D

Black Thorn
I'm not enjoying Harmony in these episodes, she's just acting a little too silly for me. I can see where Riley is coming from, that he doesnt feel as close to Buffy anymore, but killing himself just so he can be her physical equal seems a little silly. Their scene in the cave reminds me a little of the Buffy/Angel scene in Amends, but were that scene meant the start of Buffy/Angel being together again, I think this highlighted the end from Buffy and Riley.

Wesley Pryce
Wesley Pryce
Love can make you silly,so i think it makes sense :)
Wow, not many comments on this episode. Guess it wasn't well received?! It's a Riley focused episode, so I'm sure that had something to do with it... *yawn*.

I'm getting bored with Harmony. As for Riley going AWOL, well, I think I give that another enthusiastic *yawn*. All in all a pretty ho hum boring episode. Except for the Spuffy dream at the end. That was super!

Guys, I like Harmony! I think she is cute and entertaining as a not-so-bad bad guy.

Ugh but Riley needs to go away, he's so boring and annoying.

And ooooh shirtless Spike!!! What a lovely Spuffy dream!

AnthonyCordova

Harmony Battlecruiser
Sineya
I don't get the bit where Spike is having his chip removed though, Harmony says she can see the chip but the dr doesn't remove it as he says he can't do it, as he's not that kind of dr, was he just saying that so he didn't remove the chip or could he really not remove it, if so, why? seeing as Harmony could see it??
Yeah, that didn't make sense to me either. Wouldn't Harmony have known that the doctor didn't remove it? She was watching the whole time. She said she could see it, so you think she would have seen that the doctor actually did nothing.

Just noticed that Alyson nearly walks the wrong way out of the door at the beginning. :p
I can see why some people would find Harmony annoying but I can't help but love her. Making her into a vampire was a brilliant decision! This would be an extremely mediocre episode without her and Spike.
And about the Doctor saying that he'd removed the chip, he waited for Harmony to go behind him to put out her cigarette before pretending to hide the chip. It's still a stretch that neither of them would ask to see it, or that Harmony wouldn't be able to still see it in his brain, but I guess she isn't too smart.

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
Buffy's purple scarf looks like it came from Spike's closet.

Spike hits demons because he can :p

Nose blood is a fact of life, I've never tasted it and don't have the desire to.

Spike, good luck with that...

Willow and Buffy are having a debate about a college lecture, pigs must be flying somewhere :D

Willow, you are a witch in a magic shop :p

Why does Giles have a sick mask ??? o_O

Tara, you are better than you think you are :)

Buffy has her own training gym :D

Looks like Spike doesn't ship Joey and Pacey together...

Spike, don't offer Harmony hideout...

Harmony, how dumb are you ??? :rolleyes:

Briley post-sex scene, and they are having sex again :mad:

Dawn, good strategy ;)

Poor Joyce :(

Ben, something's off about him...

Dawn caught Riley's heart condition by playing with the doctor thingy :eek:

Good to see Joyce doing OK :)

Chicken with mustard ??? o_O

Buffy's right, nobody can handle a heart attack :(

Dawn, I can't see how the CIA and Fidel Castro are remotely related to The Initiative.

Riley plays basketball outside of his dorm ???

Riley :mad:

I feel bad for Riley :(

How is The Hellmouth homey ??? o_O

Harmony :rolleyes:

Spike loves cash and would do anything for it, a bit like Anya...

Nice planning, Harmony and Spike ;)

How did they even put the chip in without Spike turning into a vegetable in the first place ??? o_O

Riley, touch her, she is still here...

Buffy, dump him, you guys don't match.

A man's sex organ is his brain, it has some truth to it.

Harmony, don't bother him :mad:

Riley, you are not OK, you need help.

Harmony, don't smoke, it's surgery...

Spike, you have been found.

The chip has not been removed, Spike was tricked...

Riley seems to be doing better now :)

Spuffy making out, must be a dream...

Next time: Glory's in town.

For me, the ending gives Buffy a Mary-Sue vibe in the sense that Spike wakes ups one day and realises he's in love with Buffy.

The scene where the doctor tells Harmony she can't smoke and Harmony's reply "Oh yeah, says who!?" and he just points at the -no smoking- sign and she immediately apologizes and puts out her cigarette is pretty funny.

So I actually like Riley a lot prior to this episode, but I mark this as the beginning of his downfall. We see him refusing a life-saving procedure in desperation to stay on equal-power footing with Buffy, and this is just the start of his insecurity issues that will plague them.

Buffy is very likable in this episode. I feel bad for her having to put up with the situation (on top of what's going on w/ her mom), but she says all the right things to Riley.. he just never believes it.

Dora

Scooby
So Spike tried to kill Buffy then a few hours later he wakes up and is in love with her....that makes no sense, A spell? something to do with the monks and Dawn? he was always protective of Dawn ? even after he tried to rape Buffy , Buffy knew he would not attack Dawn and protect her

Top Bottom