• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 5.04 "Out of Mind" - Aired 10/17/00 (WB-US)

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Even Spike didn’t realize he was subconsciously into her until that dream.
It's lazy writing in my view, or perhaps it's the moment Spike is affected by the spell that inserts Dawn into the world, as he literally wakes up one day and realises he's in love with Buffy then from that moment on that's all his storyline is about.

genghiskhan
genghiskhan
It kind of reminds me of Romeo to be honest, where one minute he's moping over Rosaline then instantly he falls in love with Juliet and forgets about her.

Ceadsearc03

Townie
It's lazy writing in my view, or perhaps it's the moment Spike is affected by the spell that inserts Dawn into the world, as he literally wakes up one day and realises he's in love with Buffy then from that moment on that's all his storyline is about.
I agree. And then they kind of retcon it like “oh all the time Spike and Drusilla were together after Becoming Part 2 it was all about Buffy.” There really wasn’t enough build up and then we suddenly go from killing her to ... being in love with her and sniffing her sweaters?

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I agree. And then they kind of retcon it like “oh all the time Spike and Drusilla were together after Becoming Part 2 it was all about Buffy.” There really wasn’t enough build up and then we suddenly go from killing her to ... being in love with her and sniffing her sweaters?
I strongly dislike how the writers tried to throw Sprusilla under a bus in order to make Spuffy fly. A ship needs to stand on its own two feet, not attempt to downgrade other former ships in order to make itself look better. Spike was happy with Drusilla and Buffy was happy with Angel; aside from a few moments here and there, Spuffy made both Buffy and Spike miserable.

katmobile

Potential
I strongly dislike how the writers tried to throw Sprusilla under a bus in order to make Spuffy fly. A ship needs to stand on its own two feet, not attempt to downgrade other former ships in order to make itself look better. Spike was happy with Drusilla and Buffy was happy with Angel; aside from a few moments here and there, Spuffy made both Buffy and Spike miserable.
I think Sprucilla was messed by the renaissance of Angelus and Bangel ditto really. Beside Spuffy made Spike a better person and I don't think it made Buffy miserable the misery of it was a symptom not a cause other bad crap caused that. It may not have helped but it didn't make her miserable.

Ceadsearc03

Townie
I think Sprucilla was messed by the renaissance of Angelus and Bangel ditto really. Beside Spuffy made Spike a better person and I don't think it made Buffy miserable the misery of it was a symptom not a cause other bad crap caused that. It may not have helped but it didn't make her miserable.
I don’t think Spike was the initial cause but her relationship with him definitely made Buffy feel worse in S6. And back to this episode - in S5 - she certainly wasn’t happy having him around at the time.

I would be fine if they said Dru was upset with Spike because he made a deal with Buffy but to imply it was more than that was irritating and didn’t make sense.

genghiskhan
genghiskhan
To be honest, I just took it that Dru had one of her vision things and didn't believe it until he made a deal with Buffy.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I would be fine if they said Dru was upset with Spike because he made a deal with Buffy but to imply it was more than that was irritating and didn’t make sense.
I agree. Originally in Lovers Walk, Spike said that it was the deal with Buffy that caused issues with Dru "It was the truce with Buffy that did it. Dru said I'd gone soft". It was kind of played as if Dru had caught Spike cheating on her "I told her it didn't mean anything, that I was thinking of her the whole time".

Fool For Love tries to retcon that, but what I find most irritating is how Buffy, and other lead female characters in other shows suffer this too, is suddenly treated as this most desirable woman that men just can't help falling for.

I don't hate the idea of the Spuffy ship itself, but I just can't ship it because of the way the idea was executed. Had they not made Spuffy Spike's sole purpose from Season 5 onwards, then I might not dislike it so much, but as it stands, in my view they took a great male character and turned him into Buffy's lapdog because apparently all men find her attractive and are falling over themselves to be with her. Th only two that don't are Giles (her father figure) and Oz (Willow's first boyfriend who was generally useless).

Top Bottom