• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Discussion of 5.05 "No Place Like Home" - Aired 10/24/00 (WB-US)

jls

a big cat
One of my fave episodes of S5!

Haven't read all the comments yet, but I have to say that Buffy and the monk's escape from Glory in the warehouse was veeeeery unbelievable :rolleyes:.
As if Glory could be put off by a little bit of building falling on her and a broken heel?! Maybe she turned into Ben for a little while when the building fell on her, and we didn't see? That's what I'll tell myself.

spikenbuffy

"Hi honey, I'm home"
Staff member
Great episode, one of my top 5 episodes of S5.

- Buffy is just so beautiful in this episode, I have always loved her clothes that suit really well her new goldilocks hair style/colour.
- Great scene with the spell that Buffy has done to see through if Joyce 's sickness is natural or not.
- Spike famous line "Out for a walk bitch" plus "And you have stupid hair" lol :D.
- Great entrance of Glory, one of the best in Buffyverse, she really kick Buffy's ass. Buffy is afraid I love that.
- It's the first appearance of Glory, she's just crazy but classy with her amazing red dress that she wears in this episode, she's always classy with her beautiful dresses in S5.
- Anya '' Please go " to a client :D.
- Anya has a job now, good for her
- Love how Willow wrapped paper on an object, Willow "Does this look right to you" Anya "Sure, if you wrapped it with your feet":p. Just love their banter which will lead to Triangle.
- Warlock Giles lolll. Hell I love that moment :D. Buffy doesn't know what to say and giles just stares at her in a silent and awkward moment.:D
- Buffy is worried about Joyce :(
- Dawn "Oh Buffy helped" about the fact that Buffy made a breakfast for Joyce :mad:.
- Dawn says to riley what Buffy has told on him :mad:
- Ben first appearance
- Giles's smile is so lovely :cool:. "Did you see that, customers, real live customers, they came in and I gave them things and they gave money and then they left, it's brilliant!! " I just love that guy :cool:.
- Giles and the others are exhausted after their first day at work in the magic box. Giles ''I think I liked it better when demons would just crash here and tear the place apart. Just seemed so much simpler" loll so funny Giles :D.
- Dawn never existed before OMG, heartbreaking moment for Buffy when the monk says " She doesn't know that". I've always tears in my eyes everytime I rewatch that scene. :(
- I love how Buffy is resentful towards Dawn but at the end of the day when she knows that Dawn is the key, she wants to protect her at the expense of her life and her friends and they bond. :)
- Amazing last scene of Dawn & Buffy strocking her sister's hair, so sweet :).

W
WillowFromBuffy
You need to join Grace's S5 rewatch thread.
Well I've just sat and watched the 'out for a walk' gif about twenty five times.
I love Glory's introduction in this episode.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Drama wise this is when S5 really starts to get going. Glory has a impact right from the start. Kramer has a great presence and plays her so well. She feels interesting and like she's a threat. I love the tension of the secret with Dawn. It's a great reveal at the end of the episode. Plus Anya's new purpose at the magic shop is great. Then there's Spike's "Out for a walk....Bitch":p

Oromous

Socially Awkward
Sineya
There's a lot to love about this episode beyond just the awesome moments like Giles' costume and Anya's newfound purpose in life. The "enfant terrible" trope wasn't new to '90s television as it traces back all the way to even the ''60s or '70s with films like The Village of the Damned (1960), The Omen (1976) and The Children of the Corn (1984). Even The X-Files season 5 and Millennium season 2 had plenty of that in spades. But for Buffy, Dawn being teased as an enfant terrible was more appropriate in its metaphorical structure (seeing your little sister as a demonic spawn of Hell), and it wouldn't have been out of place if it wasn't a red herring. In spite of the whole "Evil Dawn" schtick revealing itself as false, I like how it was set up because the illusion felt very real rather than having any loopholes that would make you wonder "Wait, if she's evil, then why would she do that?" It's just vague enough to keep you guessing while not playing into the teasing too much to make it feel contrived. Dawn making tea as per normal, Dawn being sinister to Buffy as per normal; everything seemed normal in spite of the "Evil Dawn" context audiences (and Buffy) know about (and the eerie music).

But I think this revelation of Dawn's true nature adds to the little sister narrative in a much different way. Previously, I felt for both Dawn and Buffy because it can be a real burden for both the elder and younger sister, with the big sister feeling insecurity from mum's babying of the little one, and the little one feeling insignificant than the proud and all-powerful Slayer. Beats being a middle child though; being a middle child can be far worse, feeling a sense of mediocrity where you're neither the most talented or the cutest (see Buttercup in PPG), but I digress. Now that we know Dawn isn't really Buffy's sister and is merely an implanted memory, there's no blood connection anymore and Buffy's sense of obligation to a family member isn't the same anymore. So now she's stuck between having the memory of knowing a little sister her whole life and having the knowledge that it's all a lie. Whammy.

If Buffy remains benevolent towards Dawn after all this (and I'm not saying this out of any resentment towards Dawn), then I would really respect her perseverance and compassion, because holy cow, I would kick her out of my house if I know she isn't family. I like Dawn as a character, but I wouldn't be able to stand her for a day in my own house. I'm not as patient. But anyway, this will probably build up to "The Gift" and show the kind of sacrifices Buffy has to inevitably make for a non-sister. Dang.

Not much to say about Glory at the moment other than I do like her as a Big Bad so far, but I can also see why she can be one-note (in spite of her insane villainess charm). Let's hope the season gives her more depth than just "I'm crazy and wanna kill you and be sarcastic!"

Giles learns first-hand just how painful shopkeeping can be. Be careful what you wish for. That's why I don't work retail. It's not just Anya who would go, "Please go." I don't work well with customers.

Overall, a solid episode that changes the narrative drastically in an interesting way. Let's see how Buffy will handle her newfound responsibility to a non-sister.

8/10

thrasherpix

Scooby
I saw this again recently (I do love how Glory is introduced) and felt sorry for Buffy and Dawn both. To hell with the monk. I see Buffy and Dawn as both victims of...well to avoid unnecessary drama, I'll say the kind of shenanigans season 6 Willow did to other people's minds x 100.

And it's hard for me to admire Buffy's "love" for her sister when it seems as artificial as a love spell, which is how it came off to me (but not Dawn's fault at all, she was another victim, transformed AND mind-programmed). It would've felt more real if Buffy became "professional about protecting the Key" who later formed a close bond to Dawn rather than having it from the start, but at best, it's from fake memories that she was victim of (and I see Buffy's later mental breakdown as a side effect of a spell on her mind).

spikenbuffy

"Hi honey, I'm home"
Staff member
The Buffy & the monk/Dawn scenes at end of this episode will always hit me in the feels. So perfect.

Giles : "Well, all spells leave a trace signature. It's just not perceptible to the human eye. In this case, it could be the image of a hand choking your mother."

Made me think about the Dawn & Joyce scenes in Conversations With Dead People.

Top Bottom