• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 5.06 "Family" - Aired 11/07/00 (WB-US)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
As the gang get ready to celebrate Tara's birthday, her family arrives in town to take her back home. She resists, but her father insists that she come back with them before the family curse turns her into a demon on her 20th birthday.
Source: TV.com

Discuss this episode here!

This is my absolute favorite Tara episode. No matter how many times I've seen it, I still get all choked up when the whole gang stands up for her. They took to every other new person, Cordelia, Oz, Anya, so easily, but Tara took some getting used to. I would say it's because she's so quiet, but so was Oz. This episode really made me love Tara a lot more.

That and I loved Anya's, "It's still not funny"¦ What's your eagle reflection?" bit...
Posted via Mobile Device

I love this episode. It fills me with warmth and happiness every time I watch it. When Buffy says "We're family," I always start crying if I'm not already.

msfantastico87

Joann the Goblin Slayer
I've commented on this episode so many times that I get upset when someone asks my opinion on it now lol

It's an amazing episode. Mostly because it's the first episode where the focus is really set on Tara herself. Tara had such a hard time throughout her entire life adjusting to new things, places, people. Here comes Willow, the woman she loves deeply, with all of her heart, and she wants to be a part of everything Willow does, which is natural for someone to feel when they are so in love. However, she grew up thinking she was a demon and she didn't want to hurt Willow by staying and possibly hurting her. I think in a way, Tara wasn't at all selfish for her decision to leave. She was afraid, paranoid, of what could have happened. Even though we all know, that Willow would have never let anything like that happen, and she would have found out a way to get Tara back to normal.

Then the best thing ever happens. Buffy comes to the rescue.

"Who are you?"
"We are her blood kin. Who the hell are you?"
"We're family"

and everyone defends Buffy, and defends Tara, and you see Tara's face glow with happiness. She has finally been accepted into the scoobies. She finally gets to be there side-by-side with her love without having to worry about the rest of the group not liking her.

And let's not forget, that this episode opens a whole new door for all of Tara's friendships. Her friendship with Anya, with Spike, and with Buffy more importantly. It's nice to see that for once, the focus wasn't solely just on Willow and Tara as a couple, but Tara as a person.

....and i'm talking to much so i'm going to shut up now!

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
[No message]
Charmander
Charmander
[No message]
"If you want to take Tara out of here, against her will, go ahead. But you're gonna have to go through me." My question is, Mr. Maclay saw Buffy break that demon's neck with just her boot, and still didn't take her seriously? How?! What a douche.

Nathan

Potential
Just saw this episode; one of the happiest moments of the series was Tara's face when Buffy and the others started sticking up for her. I just want to give her a big hug :) She's adorable.

Pik

Buffy Fan Dude
I love how Spike proves that she's not a demon by punching her! He can be really nice when he wants to be. It was great to see an episode that focused on Tara. I feel like she needed more stories on this show.

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
[No message]
Sineya
I love Tara and Willow together, they're so cute! :) Tara is such a nice character, I immediatly warmed to her, so it's nice they did an episiode for her and let us learn a bit more about her background etc :) Her family were so awful though, obviously wanting the women to be little 'slaves' for the men :S and it always bugs me when kids have to call their dad's 'Sir' what's that all about? you can instantly see the relationship isn't too good and must be pretty strict if they do that :S
This episode always gets me into tears aswell! When they all stick up for her and say they're family! Soo heart warming :D Also love the little floaty love dance Willow and Tara do at the end, so magical! :D

Black Thorn
I love the scene with Tara and her family and Buffy and the Scoobies, its such a heart warming scene, especially when you think Buffy is going to let them take her.

I do feel sorry for Riley, Buffy should have told him about Dawn. I feel she would have told Angel if they were still together. She mentions in season 2 that her instincts are always to run to Angel when something happens. If she had let Riley in then she should have been able to tell him everything.

I love that Spike goes to watch Buffy die but then cant help himself saving her.

This was a great Tara episode! Nice to see the Scoobies stand up for Tara. And a big old way to go to the dad for calling the women of the family demons so that they would stay home and continue to cook and clean.
And another thing, man those demons were uuuuugly! Yowza!
Spike's fascination with Buffy continues to grow... and I love every second of it!!!

Anyone else always notice how disapproving Giles always looks when she mentions how useless her father is? He's such a great father figure. :)
I get that it was wrong for Tara to have put them under a spell but, I think it was kind of rich of Buffy to get so annoyed at Tara after everything that Angelus put the Scoobies through. She did turn around in the end but it seemed very sudden. I always thought it was weird how everyone warmed up to Oz so quickly but not Tara. I can understand Xander probably being uncomfortable around a quiet girl but Buffy never seemed to want to make as much of an effort with Tara.
And I can't believe I never recognised Amy Adams before now!
Love Tara explaining her joke at the end and Anya still thinking it wasn't funny. It seems silly that Tara wasn't put on the title screen for this episode.

jls
jls
+1 on the Giles comment!
Just re-watched this episode and am not ashamed to admit that I was in flood of tears by the end:( The scene in the Magic Box when the Scoobies stand up for Tara is just lovely, and then the finale with Willow and her floating to that sweet song in the bronze was just too much. Beautiful:)

This one just gets better upon each rewatch. Another great Joss script. Hannigan's performance at the end is truly touching. Think it mabe a classic:)

Aww, Joss shows us the perfect family in the perfect family shot declaring they are a perfect family. Yeah well, so was the Manson Family.

The Scoobies judging Tara's family about their conduct just makes me laugh. This only works if you exclude 2 people from the family shot, namely Anya and Spike. But since they are there, the Scoobies lose all rights to judge anyone. You can't have Buffy et. all look down on Tara's family while you have an unrepentant sociopath who used to be a mass murdering demon and a soulles mass murderer who is currently dating another soulles mass murderer who is murdering people as part of the family.

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
I'm in the middle of season 5 at the moment. This is my least favourite script by Joss Whedon. It doesn't have any flair or much of anything to say. It just feels like he wanted an episode centered around Tara, and why not, but it's just dull and unaffecting. Probably up there as the most overrated episode for me.

I'm in the middle of season 5 at the moment. This is my least favourite script by Joss Whedon. It doesn't have any flair or much of anything to say. It just feels like he wanted an episode centered around Tara, and why not, but it's just dull and unaffecting. Probably up there as the most overrated episode for me.
Could it be because Tara herself is a little bit dull and unaffecting. Don't get me wrong, she was a nice character and had her cute/good moments but she wasn't exactly the most dynamic or lively of the scoobies. If people were to rate the scoobies from favourite to least favourite, Tara would probably come near the bottom of the list.

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
Could it be because Tara herself is a little bit dull and unaffecting. Don't get me wrong, she was a nice character and had her cute/good moments but she wasn't exactly the most dynamic or lively of the scoobies. If people were to rate the scoobies from favourite to least favourite, Tara would probably come near the bottom of the list.
Yeah, I can see that playing a part in how I feel about it. I think the story is half hearted too. Usually Joss is better at subtlety. The episode is a means to an end, really. I don't get why people love it so much, unless they're diehard Tillow fans I suppose.