• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 5.06 "Family" - Aired 11/07/00 (WB-US)

Blair

Vamp Blair
Sineya
Great role models there- drinking under aged :p
Do they not check ID much in America? In Australia the legal age for drinking is 18. If you look under 25 you get ID checked (I'm not far off being 27 and I get asked all the time...)

Mr Trick

Scooby
I'd say Family is definitely one of Joss Whedon's worst episodes. Just watched it and wasn't impressed. The episode is boring and doesn't make much sense. Tara's family is irritating, which is the point, but just makes the episode worse. The whole 'We're family' part was cliché and felt insincere. And they say Amends is sappy... I don't like Tillow a lot either. I used to, but Tara and Willow act like children around each other and now I'm just noticing all of its flaws.

Season 5 started out fine, but it's unexciting, Glory is tiresome, Briley is a mess, Buffy finding out her roots isn't very interesting so far, Spike 'falling' for Buffy is terrible... hopefully the season improves...
I don't think it makes the episode worse. Sure they could have been written with more depth, but the episode is not about Tara's Family, but about Tara finding her place in the Scoobies. For what its worth the actor playing Tara's Dad did a great job.

But what's wrong with sentiment as long as its true? This is one of the reasons why I prefer Buffy over Angel as a show, because I care about the characters more and because the drama honestly moves me. The point of film, television and art is to draw emotion from people. And Amends is sappy one bit. The end isn't sappy because the episode leading up to that point hasn't been sappy. It makes the episode more powerful. The same happens with Family in a different way. It builds to the big emotional ending, it doesn't signpost it all the way through.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Interesting. I never noticed that. I'm guessing that the people running the club are convinced that Buffy and Xander look about 21 so are happy to let it slide.
Didn't Xander have a fake ID that he used in season 4 "Beer Bad" so he could work as a bartender? Maybe he used that?

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Could be yes.

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
Great role models there- drinking under aged :p
Like that's ever stopped anyone. ;)
Do they not check ID much in America? In Australia the legal age for drinking is 18. If you look under 25 you get ID checked (I'm not far off being 27 and I get asked all the time...)
Well depends. I rarely get carded (or stamped). I think that being tall people just think that you're older. Which is just silly. :p Not that I really mind at the time. ;)

Blair

Vamp Blair
Sineya
I never drank when I was under aged. I think my first drink was when I was 22. I had Dawn's attitude when I was younger "Alcohol is for losers"

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
I LOVE this episode so much!
Tara was so amazing and adorable this episode.
Watching all the Scoobies stand up for her and Buffy saying "we're family" if that doesn't pull on your heartstrings I don't know what does.
I was a huge fan of Tara long before this episode but this episode will forever be one of my favs for Tara.
Re watched it today and just love love love it.
Go Scooby Gang!

Sharky

Townie
It was quite heavy handed and practically sign-posted when Tara's father said "we're her kin" that the "we're family" line was coming. Also aside from Willow, the scoobies never had the emotional attachment to Tara to be able to call her family so it felt kind of hollow. I get Buffy stepping in to protect Tara from being taken against her will, but to go from "the only thing we know about Tara is she's nice" to "we're family" is a bit of a leap.
Exactly. Main reason I don't like this episode, the climatic confrontation at the end doesn't feel earned at all.
Buffy goes from "I don't know Tara and she's kinda weird?" to being mad at her "she almost got us killed" and then seconds later she's all, "we're family." I love the concept, but the execution doesn't feel natural.

IMO an easy fix would be to have a empathetic look from Buffy as she sees how upset Willow is getting at the prospect of Tara leaving, making Buffy's actions seem more for Willow's sake. "We're family" would be true, but more in the sense that "Willow is my family, and if Willow loves Tara that makes her family."

Is it not insane to see Amy Adams in this episode?!
Definitely, Amy Adams is so big now it's hilarious to see her in such a minor role on Buffy :p

Out for a walk

5 Words Or Less...
Ok episode, not my favorite..but I am not really a fan of Tara. She is just too quiet and boring to me.

My favorite quote of the episode is from Spike of course. It was after he revealed that the men of her family make up the demon part to keep them in line.

Spike to Tara's father: "Oh, you're a piece of work. I like you."

Mr Trick

Scooby
A very touching episode. Always tear up at the end. Its good that the show addresses Tara's status in the group. The Scoobies all standing up for her is a wonderful moment.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Anyone else notice how Riley is not part of the "we're family" scene (despite Dawn, Spike and Anya being included alongside the 4 core Scoobies) even though it's still a few episodes before he actually leaves?

Taake

Something Wicked This Way Comes
Staff member
Black Thorn
Anyone else notice how Riley is not part of the "we're family" scene (despite Dawn, Spike and Anya being included alongside the 4 core Scoobies) even though it's still a few episodes before he actually leaves?
Never noticed that! Good foreshadowing on their part. Riley never really was quite part of the family, was he?

Top Bottom