• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 5.07 "Fool For Love" - Aired 11/14/00 (WB-US)

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
When they were trying to get rid of various parts of Acathla in "Surprise 2x13", Angel had to take it on a slow boat because he could not risk air travel. He could hide in the hold and never see the sun:
Angel did Air travel in AtS season 5 with Spike (The Girl in question I think) I don't know if that plane had special windows to keep out the sun like Wolfram and Hart had special glass for its vampire employees (W&H might be evil but it's equal opportunities :p).

Couldn't Angel just hire a small private plane and close the window blinds?

Out for a walk

5 Words Or Less...
Wow...where to start with this fantastic episode. How could you not love Spike after this episode. I especially loved the punk version of Spike.

The ending..wow. Even without a soul...he cares so much and that is what separates him from other vampires.

nina98

Did I get it?
One of the most memorable episodes of the entire series. Since I picked on Doug Petrie yesterday, I'll give him credit here for really stepping up and writing a fantastic episode (his personal best, I'd say).

In the final scene when they're sitting on the porch without talking... I can picture Angel doing the same thing, but I can't picture Riley being able to sit in silence. He'd be wanting to talk about it. This scene in a nutshell is why Riley is not right for her.

Dora

Scooby
Not a great episode for me to much Spike
Riley using grenades , modern weapons ? Spike was going to shoot Buffy , so why no flame throwers also why did Buffy etc not wear helmets , stab vests etc , And I never understood in S7 why if she had Riley's phone number for Spike Chip why would she not get him involved in the fight with the first?
The thing I think this episodes show is the fact that Spike unlike other vampires can make a choice , he got a shot gun to shoot Buffy ( not sure why his chip would not go off once he pointed the gun at Buffy with intent ) , then chose not to, Spike can chose whether to be good or bad . Buffy getting hurt and going to Spike I think shows she wants to live , she wants to know how he killed two Slayers so she can try to avoid what has happened to them , but fighting every night must have a mental effect on Slayers, Buffy is not mentally different than a soldier but never getting a break why would Slayers not suffer from PTSD one of the reason I think in S6 Buffy was so depressed she asks Giles why am I back I was finished she was happy .

nina98

Did I get it?
Alternate post: This is the episode where Spike stole the show. Until now, he's been an entertaining character, one of our favorite villains, and great comic fodder. He's stolen episodes he's been in (School Hard, Lover's Walk, etc.) but his role has been clear and defined. This episode marks the end of that. Here, he gets the Angel flashback treatment. Done better than any of the Angel flashbacks were. Going forward, he will be the one who gets the most character development, yes, even more than Buffy and (slightly) Willow. And that's where the show fell down and I can never forgive the writers in later seasons - particularly in the development of Buffy herself.

As much as I loved Spike when the show first aired (over the years, maybe as I've matured, I've become a bigger Angel fan), even then the over-focus on Spike was too much. Maybe the writers were just bored with the other characters they'd spent so many years developing? Because this didn't need to be an either-or proposition. Ah well, buckle in, it's a new series from now on.

Last edited:

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
I just re watched this episode & I LOVE it!
I love all the Spuffy scenes especially and them really starting to bond!
The death of the past slayers is so interesting to watch and to get Spike's back story was amazing! Punk Spike is sexy as hell and everything I want and more. I loved seeing Willow/Xander/Anya eating chips while on patrol which was hilarious! Riley looked hot & strong too killing those vampires!!! Dawn is so funny and just reminds me why I love her. Joyce telling Buffy she needs to go to the hospital makes me know I'm dreading the episode that's coming (you know which one I'm talking about) . Spike crying and Buffy crying this episode was so powerful and their last scene was so sweet and amazing.
Also who doesn't love a little bit of Harmony? I love her haha.
One of the best S5 episodes hands down!

GraceK

Grr Arrg
Just rewatched this episode for the first time in awhile. I actually remember watching it in real time, when it aired. I think this was one of the first episodes that really had me shipping them. I remember wishing that Buffy would kiss him, and feeling so BAD for Spike at the end. It’s one of my favorite episodes. I know a lot of people resent Spike and think he stole the show...but really, he added SO much to it IMO. When you find yourself rooting for the villain, it’s a definite sign of how good the character is, and the actor :)

Dora

Scooby
Just rewatched this episode for the first time in awhile. I actually remember watching it in real time, when it aired. I think this was one of the first episodes that really had me shipping them. I remember wishing that Buffy would kiss him, and feeling so BAD for Spike at the end. It’s one of my favorite episodes. I know a lot of people resent Spike and think he stole the show...but really, he added SO much to it IMO. When you find yourself rooting for the villain, it’s a definite sign of how good the character is, and the actor :)
James Marsters has said many times that his main priority was keeping his job and even when he was supposed to be evil he had a way of playing Spike that made fans feel for him...he said the production staff wrote Spike being evil but could not understand why the fans still felt sympathy for him

thrasherpix

Scooby
I didn't root for Spike at all, though I did appreciate a bit of complexity there at the end, and I do understand what it's like to love and hate someone at the very same time (worst feeling in the world), if for different reasons than Spike for Buffy. If Buffy was cruel to Spike then it was not ending his misery as she should've done long ago, and no excuse not-to just a few eps earlier (Out of My Mind). It was pure fan-service without an in-show explanation that Spike was walking around at all by Fool for Love.

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
I love this episode.
So complex and beautiful. Spikes character grows exponentially in this episode. He shows so much backstory and I fall more and more in love with Spike. Spuffy really has an amazing and complex episode too. I really love the porch scene at the end where Spike just comforts Buffy and Buffy is clearly coming to terms that she does have feelings for Spike and Spike accepting that he's in love with Buffy. Such a fantastic episode & Spike in leather on the train! Yummy! :):p

Mr Trick

Scooby
This one is perfection! Its a perfectly told and logical story. The pacing is spot on. The spark back and forth between Buffy and Spike is so exciting to see. The flashback scenes add substance, plus they are perfectly interspersed with the scenes in the present. By the end it reaches an emotional high. Like that Spike fully intends to kill Buffy (or at least try), but changes his mind once he sees she's stressed. Its a beautiful moment.

genghiskhan

God doesn't want you
Black Thorn
This has to be up there with one of my favourite episodes, I had already been a Spike fan since School Hard but I really loved seeing him battle the slayers, that fight with Nikki is definitely one of my favourite scenes and I can't say no to more Drusilla. The only thing about this episode that I wasn't too interested in was Riley but the transitions between both plots were very well timed. It was very interesting to finally have some context for his personality and some of the decisions he makes, and what part of his human personality he still has. The flashbacks where amazing and seeing Buffy and Spike interacting was very entertaining. The ending was very memorable where we see Spike's human personality (as a romantic) where he can't kill the crying girl, it was a touching scene and somehow manages to make the audience overlook the fact he was going to blow her head off.

spikenbuffy

"Look, it's blood, it's Summers blood. "
I absolutely love the scene when Giles said that Buffy's death would be painful, it's exactly how it would be for him in The Gift, and it's so sweet when looked at each other when she heard and understood what he said. :)

Btvs fan

Scooby
Its interesting but this is the first real episode to give Spike some depth and characterisation. Up until he was kind if 1 dimensional and Buffy letting him comfort her on the Door Step is really the proper start of mutual Spuffy rather than simply it just being in Spikes head ala OOMM

Top Bottom