• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 5.08 "Shadow" - Aired 11/21/00 (WB-US)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Riley begins to suspect that Spike has feelings for Buffy, and Spike takes great pleasure in telling Riley about Joyce's illness "“ and about the fact that Buffy told Spike first. Meanwhile, Glory is conjuring up a creature that will be able to locate The Key for her, no matter what form it may be in.
Source: TV.com

Discuss this episode here!

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
Best things about this episode: Spike sneaking in to smell Buffy's sweater, and the interaction between Joyce, Buffy and Dawn. The snake was lame. And is this the 3rd time we've had some kind of evil snake demon? Reptile Boy, the Mayor, and now Sobek? I know some people are busy getting pissed off at Riley in this episode, but I'm still feeling sorry for him. I do think Glory's minion's nicknames for her are funny. I love Dreg's "Your creamy coolness" and "No, no, your terrifically smooth one, it is the epitome of ankles. To touch such an ankle would be— but I'm not touching. I'm backing away."

Favorite quote: Spike- "Ah, that's the stuff! Slayer musk, it's bitter and aggravating!"

PassionBecoming

Minuscule Redheaded One
Sineya
Myles woke up halfway through my re-watch of this ep, but so far I'm thinking:

I remember the first time I saw this and was like, "They wouldn't kill off Joyce. She's going to be fine. Just have to make Buffy's life as miserable as possible for now." Ha! If I only knew...

Glory's little gross minions crack me up with their "worship" speak!

Giles selling the stuff to Glory - I just love that whole scene. Irony at it's best! "She could be anywhere!" Uh-huh!

Dawn talking to Riley: "She doesn't get worked up like that over you." Ugh. Talk about a gut-punch.

PassionBecoming

Minuscule Redheaded One
Sineya
Oh! Forgot to mention the sweater-sniffing. I know Spike is evil at this point, but what a creeper!! Riley would have been totally justified in dusting him (glad he didn't, but at that point I would've thought he had it coming!) If a guy I was dating caught another guy in my bedroom, sniffing my stuff, there would be a smackdown!

Love how Spike quickly grabs her panties on the way out. Hahaha.

K
KellGreen
He makes up for it by giving her her panties back in Wrecked...ha, ha
AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
[No message]

Taake

Bella
Staff member
Black Thorn
Oh! Forgot to mention the sweater-sniffing. I know Spike is evil at this point, but what a creeper!! Riley would have been totally justified in dusting him (glad he didn't, but at that point I would've thought he had it coming!) If a guy I was dating caught another guy in my bedroom, sniffing my stuff, there would be a smackdown!

Love how Spike quickly grabs her panties on the way out. Hahaha.
You know that scene is really funny (and I agree with you a smackdown would've been justified) but I find myself increasingly disturbed by the sniffing and the panty stealing.. it's just... creepy. So very, very creepy!

Also, what's up with Spike's complexion?? Why's he so... orange? Or is it just me...

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
[No message]
I agree with all the above - the lameness of the snake, the great interaction between Buffy Dawn and Joyce and the hilarity of Glory's minion. Watching Dreg - I've never laughed so much in a while to an episode:

Dreg: Most beauteous and supremely magnificent one, this dark spell I hold in my worthless and scabby hand is our gift to you, most tingly and wonderful Glorificus...

Dreg: Forgive me, shiny special one. I beg of you to rip out my inadequate tongue.

Dreg: Yes. Dreg. Your creamy coolness has honored me by speaking my name. Your voice is like a thousand sweet songbirds that-

Dreg: I grovel like a bug, most silky and effervescent Glorificus- (She throws more shoeboxes at him) Glory! Glory. Your most fresh and cleanness, it's just a matter of time.

The one that [MENTION=10354]VisionGirl[/MENTION] mentions is a classic also - hilarious! What a great little character!

I love Anya in this episode - she is so funny ! I love her increasingly louder 'Heys!' when she realises what has been sold. I love when she says ' are you stupid or something' and Giles replies 'Allow me to answer that question with a firing' I like how Anya is being used, that her past as a demon allows her to pick up on things and help the group! She's done that a couple of times in the Season - I think it's great!

I also love her line:

Giles: All that aside, I should think you'd be pleased to avoid the confrontation.
Anya: That's what I've been saying. I mean, I for one didn't want to start my day with a slaughter. (Suddenly gets a look of realization on her face; excitedly) Which really just goes to show how much I've grown!

I also like that scene where Anya can't appreciate the need to keep Buffy in the dark about Glory's appearance! It's just so Anya and gives the episode a lighter note to the dark moments with Joyce's illness! On that note though, SMG's performance is amazing - when the doctor tells her, her face in shock and then pain really gets me alongside her line at the end that If she starts crying she will never stop.

Other highlights are when Giles says he overpriced Glory as if that would compensate for the situation, and Xander's mention of Bunny worshippers to which Anya replies, 'thank you very much for those nightmares!' Haaa

I love Glory here too, once again she has some great lines:

Glory: I mean, nothing worse than a gift that doesn't work. Then I'd have to get all mad and kill you! (apologetically) It's this whole big thing.
Glory: Chill, worm. I'm gonna make you a star!
Glory: Dreg! I'm not hearing chanting!
Glory lifts Buffy to her feet again.
Glory:There! (grabs Buffy's hair and knees her in the face) That feels more real, don't you think? (Pulls Buffy up and flings her against another wall. Buffy lands upside down and stares, gasping, as Glory approaches. She grabs Buffy by the throat and lifts her up again.
Glory: Even if I do have to carry your performance.
She throws Buffy across the room. Buffy crashes through the glass into the snake case.
Glory: (throws up her arms) Scene!
Glory: (angrily) Ohh! Everything takes time! What about my time? Does anyone appreciate that I'm on a schedule here? (Dreg nods nervously) Tick, tock, Dreg! Tick frickin' tock!

The only thing that ruins this episode is the lame Snake! Other than that its good! I liked how Buffy had to stop the snake before it could get back to Glory, 'It knows!!'

:)

P.s who else thinks Buffy and Ben could make a nice couple? Except for that whole sharing a body with Glory thing haaa

jls
jls
lolll @ "tick frickin tock"!
Sineya
This wasn't one of my fave episodes but it was OK :)
Also loving Spike's sweater sniffing and panty knicking lol Sooo funny and kinda freaky lol :D
Even though I'm not a Riley fan, he does have a hard time in this one, being left out of everything :S
I found it funny when the gang has to explain how Glory got hold of the items from the shop, with Anya, pointing at Giles and whispering 'Giles, sold them to her' lol :D
I was very dissapointed in the snake, it was like something from the Power Rangers!! :rolleyes:
Oh and poor Joyce, you feel so much for her and Buffy in this one, when they find out it's a tumour :( So sad :(

Black Thorn
When I originally watched the show I wasnt a fan of Riley, but I did feel really sorry for him in this episode. First Spike is the one to tell him that Buffy's mum is in the hospital and then Dawn's comment about Angel. For a change I wasnt annoyed with Dawn for telling him, she really was just trying to be nice.

I loved when Glory came into the store and Giles sold her that stuff and later when they realise what had happened. It was hillarious.

Its almost sad to watch Buffy try to deal with her mums illness. Firstly she wants to blame it on a demon and then she wants magic to fix it. I feel sorry for her, she must have felt so powerless; she can save the world but she can save her mum.

I don't know, maybe it's my extreme dislike for Riley, but I wasn't all that sad about what Dawn said. It certainly wasn't in her place to say it, but it was true... and Riley knew it. I do feel bad that after leaving the Initiative, he should've had someone there for him. On his side, so to speak. But Buffy had a lot of her own stuff going on too, which lead to more than normal ignoring on Buffy's part.

And that snake this was ugly. And by ugly I mean completely fake/ugly looking. They've had so many great demons and whatnot, but this was definitely NOT one of them!

AnthonyCordova

Apocalypse Engine
Sineya
This episode was great. But Spike smelling Buffy's clothes and taking her panties to smell them later (or God only knows what) seemed to push the boundaries of good taste. I feel dirty just talking about it. I might have left that out if I were the writer of this episode. It was funny though, I'll admit.

Last edited:
PassionBecoming
PassionBecoming
Oh, Spike.
I really do enjoy this episode because there is a lot going on.
Clare Kramer does a great job as always in her role as Glory; her plans to finally locate 'the key' are exciting, however, Buffy's efforts in strangling the cobra comes across rather comical just due to how rushed that scene seems. A few of the wide shots are pretty bad in terms of the effects -- it's impossible not to think of how awesome that may look today, roughly 14 years from it's original airdate, and with all of the extra advances that have been made in the special FX department.
The introduction of Riley and his extra-curricular activities with a few choice female vampires is so fantastic because of how obviously it paints a picture of how frustrated he is with Buffy, how un-needed he's come to feel in her presence; both in terms of her life as a slayer and in her personal life. Riley has become aware of Buffy not being able to love him in the way that she should, and Marc Blucas does beautifully in portraying a man who is seriously conflicted in just about every area of his life in Sunnydale.

Dreg is bloody hilarious.
I feel sorry for Riley. He really is a loving boyfriend. You can't completely blame Buffy since she's going through a lot but it's horrible for him to know that she told Spike first, and that she keeps shutting him out every time he's there for her.
The snake looked goofy (especially when she was punching it and it kept bouncing back like a bobo doll :p ) but the car chase scenes were well done.
Spike was also great but the clothes smelling thing has always grossed me out!

Best lines:
Buffy: My god, are you guys okay though? I mean, did - no one got hurt, right?
Giles: Oh no, thankfully, no, uh, no violence to speak of.
Buffy: Okay, so, that's good ... How did she get away with this bad mojo stuff?
Anya: Giles sold it to her.
Giles: If it's any consolation, I may have overcharged her.

Xander: Just once I would like to run into a cult of bunny worshippers.
Anya: Great. Thank you very much for those nightmares.

Giles: Aleister Crowley Sings? Um, sadly, no, I-I don't carry that, but I do have some very nice whale sounds.

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
CAT scans must be scary...

Why do they drink generic Coke in TV shows ??? Is it in order to separate the show from the real world ??? o_O

No Anya, you aren't mentioned :p

Glory sure lives like a queen...

Dreg, why are you annoying ??? o_O

Spike, stop being a pervert... :rolleyes:

Spike, give back the underwear, but you are also right...

Riley, at least you came...

Is a shadow another word for a brain tumor ??? o_O

Tara, I think that you are on to something...

Glory :eek:

Buffy, you need a hug :(

"Does she use a cellphone ?" no one would ask this today...

Buffy, healing spells aren't a good idea...

I don't think that hiding from a 14 year old that her mom is ill is a good idea, she's old enough to know.

Dawn's fake memories sound like good memories :)

Guess Dawn isn't a Bangel shipper either...

Why are they hiding things from Buffy ??? It's not going to work...

Go Buffy Go, fight her :D

I love how Glory looks at the Cobra :D

I never realized how small Buffy actually is until Glory pushed her into the Cobra glass...

Clory (Cobra/Glory) anyone ??? (no, not in that way...).

Riley, Buffy doesn't always need you...

Reference to Graduation Day, nice ;)

Riley, I think it's time to move on...

Riley has become a vampire buffet...

Buffy, kill the cobra...

Glory, you have a short fuse don't you ???

The cobra has died, or not :eek:

Glory is not impressed...

Riley, you are becoming less and less useful as time goes by...

Next time: In the hospital again...

CAT scans must be scary...
They're not that bad. At worst it just feels a little claustrophobic.

Why do they drink generic Coke in TV shows ??? Is it in order to separate the show from the real world ??? o_O
At the time, it was because they couldn't use branded products as it was considered subliminal advertising and product placement. If a company wanted their product advertised, they had to pay for it.

Mrs Gordo

(She's not even a vampire.) No, I'm an attorney.
Black Thorn
Is Buffy wearing Angel's leather jacket in this episode? She is wearing an oversized leather jacket I haven't seen her wear in some time in the show. Curious if anyone had any idea if it was Angel's.

jls

a big cat
Just rewatched this episode, I love it. Heaps of hilarious moments, all already mentioned :). I also find it hilarious how absolutely terrible "snakey wakey" is.

The tenderness between Buffy and Dawn is growing, and Dawn is becoming more bearable. Their relationship is turning into something very sweet here, I enjoy it.

Xander also displays a lot of maturity in this episode; his 'growing up' has begun and I begin to really like him at this point.

Riley irritates me; he uses Buffy's family trauma to feel sorry for himself, and takes Dawn's comments, which I firmly believe are good, as validation of his incorrect and selfish ideas about their relationship and the way Buffy feels about him.

Oh also, Ben is hot.