• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Discussion of 5.09 "Listening To Fear" - Aired 11/28/00 (WB-US)

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
Joyce is right, they should eat real food...

Dawn, they cut off the feet after they are brutally killed, it would be worse if they cut them off alive...

How is Giles not in a coma yet ??? o_O

Willow staked 2 vamps :D

No, Riley didn't forget, he has a new creepy hobby... :(

Willow Claus ;)

Dawn should learn about the history of spells if she wants :)

Santa doesn't lie ??? :rolleyes:

Glory is doing too good of a job sucking brains...

Willow and Tara being Willow and Tara :)

That guy creeps me out...

Joyce, rest.

Weird creepy thing :eek:

They found the man dead, not surprising...

What did the creepy thing put in his mouth ??? o_O

The mental institution looks depressing :(

Disgusting :eek:

Buffy, behind you...

At least Joyce is home :)

Riley brings in the military, good thinking ;)

The creature is watching :eek:

Joyce :eek:

I think Joyce needs to return to the hospital...

Dawn is starting to figure out she isn't real :(

Xander, focus...

1917 ??? That was 100 years ago :eek:

That queller demon needs to be stopped...

Joyce :eek:

Poor Buffy :(

He's here :eek:

Dawn, kill that thing, or not.

Spike :eek:

It screams like the most annoying baby ever... :mad:

At least it's dead :)

Joyce, she's not yours, but don't tell her...

Joyce, good luck.

Next time: Riley is leaving.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Again some powerful Joyce drama. At the same time who doesn't dig a big slimy green monster from outta space?:p Probably this one will live or die on that. I kinda like it. Though it is a bit silly at the end. The Ben stuff is meh... But I enjoy it a lot.

Btvs fan

Scooby
So bored by this episode, it was Stock writing. The best scene was the Buffy dishes scene but that was pretty much it

Mr Trick

Scooby
So bored by this episode, it was Stock writing. The best scene was the Buffy dishes scene but that was pretty much it

What with the terrible make believe radio music?;) Just remind me again what station was she listening to?:p I like the scene despite of that because it hits on some very realistic and raw. Then again I don't have problems with this episode the way you do.

Oromous

Socially Awkward
Sineya
Man, what a great episode. It goes to show that BtVS is a show that could use an alien invasion to tell a story about coping with a family member suffering a mental disorder. A lot of Buffy and Dawn's struggles here with Joyce ring true to real life, right down to the kind of inadvertent abuse Joyce dished out like "You should stop eating; you're disgustingly fat" remark. Heck, my mum's paranoia condition wasn't as severe but she already had similar symptoms of verbal abuse when I was a kid. Buffy's breakdown is great and believable, thanks to the stellar performance of SMG, but along with Buffy and Dawn drowning out Joyce's voice, this episode hits too close to home.

The cliché of the cavalry arriving at the last minute though, god, that annoys me every time I see it.

An interesting detail I noticed though is that the Queller Demon's face looks a bit like the fluke monster from X-Files, and with this being an episode about extraterrestrials, it's almost as if it landed in the wrong TV universe. lol I call missed opportunity for a Mulder/Scully crossover.

That promise in the end... poor Buffy. I remember that Passion of the Nerd has said that Buffy resembles Peter Parker, and it's in moments like this that makes me see the connection, when Buffy has to stay strong and make the right choice, even if it means to sacrifice her own happiness and peace of mind, even when she loses her loved ones to the hands of cruel, random reality.

8/10

Great episode with a few minor flaws.

Mr Trick

Scooby
As someone who enjoys low budget b-movies this episode has a charm to me and is actual one of the more underrated of this season. It was fun to see the show explore creatures from outta space. There's some great character drama too, with maybe the Riley stuff being the weakest parts.

TriBel

Scooby
@Mr Trick - Meh...ignore Riley! I think it's a great episode that makes very valid points about history and time - it's not coincidence that Willow takes Buffy history books. Then there's the anachronistic knights and the Queller. In order to get here the Creature must have been called eons before ('cos light years). On the topic of light years, Tara renames/reconfigures the constellations - it's a metaphor used by the historical materialist Walter Benjamin to explain messianic time...apt given the forthcoming apocalypse and Buffy's sacrifice. Love it! Thanks for listening to my Ted Talk! 😄

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Wow! Yeah I like the episode a lot.

TriBel

Scooby
I think the Queller demon came from the moon? So, only light-seconds.
Did it? I can't remember. LOL! I was being a bit dramatic with "eons". I've just checked and Willow calls it a meteor, which apparently are "fragments of asteroids that broke apart long ago in the asteroid belt, located between Mars and Jupiter. Such fragments orbit the Sun for some time–often millions of years–before colliding with Earth". I hope it's a meteor...I don't want all my childhood illusions marred by a "man in the moon" who bears passing resemblance to a slug!

Top Bottom