• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 5.10 "Into The Woods" - Aired 12/19/00 (WB-US)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
At the hospital, the Scooby Gang awaits news from the doctor about Joyce's surgery and they are all relieved when the surgery is a success. Dawn spends the night with Xander and Anya. With the house to themselves, Buffy and Riley spend a romantic evening together. In the middle of the night, Riley sneaks out and Spike follows him into an old building.
Source: TV.com

Discuss this episode here!

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
Okay, I have to play my role of Ruffy here... saddest episode of the season. I really thought had there been some support for the Riley character that he could have been something good. I think Mark and Sarah had a very 'real' chemistry together. They played off one another well. It all seemed very realistic and believable to me. I was sad to see him go.

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
[No message]

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
Okay, I have to play my role of Ruffy here... saddest episode of the season. I really thought had there been some support for the Riley character that he could have been something good. I think Mark and Sarah had a very 'real' chemistry together. They played off one another well. It all seemed very realistic and believable to me. I was sad to see him go.
I just wrote a lot about this in the other thread on this episode, but I completely agree! I think you and I are the only Riley fans around these parts LOL. I also wrote on the other thread how this is the 1st time that I get mad at Buffy (she's my favorite character, and I'm usually supporting her decisions/actions).

And have I told you how funny your banner is? Even if it is Drogyn.:p

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
[No message]
This episode was okay. I'm a Riley hater, so I was glad he left. But I felt sorry for Buffy because her mom was going through that surgery and her boyfriend was paying vampire prostitutes to bite him.

thetopher
thetopher
[No message]

Taake

Bella
Staff member
Black Thorn
You know watching this episode I got to wonder - why doesn't Riley stake Spike in the crypt? Why does he use a fake-stake? I mean, all things considered he does have reason at that point and I don't really see what would have motivated him to not dust Spike (except for the writers desire to keep Spike around of course)... just not sure why they took it there when they weren't planning to follow through...

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
[No message]
I'm also a fan of Riley's. But I don't think he was the right guy for Buffy. And I don't think she was the right female for Riley. They were better off as friends. And I also believe that both of them were responsible for their breakup. Both were to blame.

Perhaps the reason Riley didn't stake Spike was because he knew that the vampire couldn't defend himself.

Taake
Taake
[No message]
PassionBecoming
PassionBecoming
My thoughts exactly on all points.

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
Perhaps the reason Riley didn't stake Spike was because he knew that the vampire couldn't defend himself.
Yeah, I basically think Riley was going along with Buffy's decision on that, whether he wanted to or not. I was going to say "besides, she would've kicked his ass", but actually, at that point, I don't think she would have minded! Now, the end of the season is a different story entirely.

PassionBecoming

Minuscule Redheaded One
Sineya
Alright, kids, doing my re-watch of this ep. I REALLY don't want to because it makes me sad. :( So, onto my observations and thoughts:

1. Hospital waiting room - TENSE. Love how Riley is being reassuring and that Buffy grabs his arm when the surgeon comes out. Love the looks of relief on everyone's faces! Yay for Giles and Xander awkwardness!
2. Xander and Anya baby-sitting always cracks me up. "He's not very convincing, is he?" Heehee.
3. "Are you planning on seducing me, Mr. Finn?" "Always." Makes my heart soar. One of the best Briley moments ever. Then ruined by Riley realizing once again, Buffy pushed him away when she needed someone.
4. I love how sweet the Briley sex scenes are. Then there's creeper Spike again. He needs a hobby. :) Kind of a good thing he was there, though.
5. DON'T DO IT, RILEY!! By the way, does Buffy not notice all the random bite marks and cuts on his body? Because I would be wondering about those. I find it odd that Riley woud feel the need to go to the vamp haven while in bed with Buffy.
6. Joyce has so much more insight into Buffy's relationship than Buffy does. Sad.
7. Spike walking in on nakey sleeping Buffy. HAHAHAHA. Love the look on his face when he turns around. Such a jealous little man. Love when he and Angel act like little boys. :)
8.Vamp haven: First of all, EW. Second, Spike is such a baddy and I love it! Oh, the looks on both Buffy and Riley's faces...then Spike's smart-ass comments. And then Buffy's look like she wanted to kill Spike. Oofda.
9. Love that military guy's speech: "High-risk, low pay, and reeealll messy." I'd go if I was Riley!
10. One of the best Anya quotes EVER! "I dislike that Anya. She is newly human and strangley literal." Ah, the beginning of the Anya and Willow tension.
11. Irrational, ragey Buffy. Always scary. And arsonous.
12. Riley has reasons about 10 times over to kill Spike. Glad he didn't, but would have been justified for sure. I love how they just end up sitting to chat and drinking together. (BTW, how much does a vamp need to drink to get pretty toasted?)
13. And one of the best Spike lines: "The girl needs some monster in her man."
14. Marc Blucas is REALLY tall.
15. And there is yet another guy telling Buffy how she feels. (Same as Angel and Spike.)
16. And there's Buffy not saying what she feels, then just lashing out. She says she gave him her mind, body, and soul, but won't say she loves him or really express any true feelings to him other than talking in circles. Then she freaks when she finds out he might leave.
17. "I'm leaving, Buffy." Made my tummy go "Uff".
18. Excellent fight scene. Go, Slayer, go!
19. And here comes Xander. I just love this scene, as you can tell by my signature. Xander is always good for calling a spade a spade, especially with Buffy. Deinfatley the heart of the group. :)
20. Riley standing aone by the chopper makes me so sad. (PS - How did Buffy know where he would be leaving from?) The look on his face of complete defeat just breaks my heart.
21. FRUSTRATING scene, though it's for the best. UGH, just look down you idiot! Though, Buffy, you kind of deserved that. Doofus. :)
22. Which segues into one of the best Anya/Xander moments.
23. And Buffy finds herself all alaone, yet again. The beginning of the spiral towards "The Gift".

Taake

Bella
Staff member
Black Thorn
2. Xander and Anya baby-sitting always cracks me up. "He's not very convincing, is he?" Heehee.
lol, love it when they baby sit!

4. I love how sweet the Briley sex scenes are. Then there's creeper Spike again. He needs a hobby. :) Kind of a good thing he was there, though.
Kind of good? *shivers* Gosh no, just really uncomfortable and creepy to me...
5. DON'T DO IT, RILEY!! By the way, does Buffy not notice all the random bite marks and cuts on his body? Because I would be wondering about those. I find it odd that Riley woud feel the need to go to the vamp haven while in bed with Buffy.
I wonder that too... I mean vamp bites around a vampire slayer isn't very discreet now is it?
6. Joyce has so much more insight into Buffy's relationship than Buffy does. Sad.
10. One of the best Anya quotes EVER! "I dislike that Anya. She is newly human and strangley literal." Ah, the beginning of the Anya and Willow tension.
agreed! :)

12. Riley has reasons about 10 times over to kill Spike. Glad he didn't, but would have been justified for sure. I love how they just end up sitting to chat and drinking together. (BTW, how much does a vamp need to drink to get pretty toasted?)
Love how the scene plays out too but it still doesn't make sense to me that Riley didn't stake Spike. It was just played for drama and justified or not it would have made more sense to me if he had just done it... at that point I really think he could have lived with it
14. Marc Blucas is REALLY tall.
Indeed ! I like that in a man. (sw)
18. Excellent fight scene. Go, Slayer, go!
Agreed!

20. Riley standing aone by the chopper makes me so sad. (PS - How did Buffy know where he would be leaving from?) The look on his face of complete defeat just breaks my heart.
Not that many spaces in Sunny-D where a helicopter could land?

21. FRUSTRATING scene, though it's for the best. UGH, just look down you idiot! Though, Buffy, you kind of deserved that. Doofus. :)
Lol, know the feeling.

Sineya
I thought it was nice that everyone became all happy and less stressed at the start when they found out Joyce was OK :)
Kinda felt sorry for Spike in this one though, he's trying to help Buffy and he just gets pushed away :( I thought it was pretty brave of him to admit to Riley he loved Buffy! :eek: Even though I don't like Riley, my eyes start to well a little bit when him and Buffy are fighting, Buffy saying she's giving him her heart, body and soul, and he just says he doesn't feel it :S It's sort of annoying how Buffy goes all bitch monster on the scoobies though, it's not their fault Riley is so freakin stupid! :rolleyes:
I thought it was a nice moment between Xander and Anya at the end :) and I suppose the ending with Buffy just missing Riley flying off was sad but didn't really get to me, never liked Riley lol :rolleyes:

Ripper666

Home sweet virtual home!
I think this episode played with feelings and emotions. Personaly I like this, I am sure there will be some who don't. And that's ok! I found it quite wonderfull how everybody tried to help Buffy, Dawn and Joyce. I always have to think about the moments when Xander and Anja carried about Dawn when they let her sleep her in their house! So funny and emotical!

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 PM ----------

By the way "emotical" this word doessn't really exist, does it?

Sineya
I think this episode played with feelings and emotions. Personaly I like this, I am sure there will be some who don't. And that's ok! I found it quite wonderfull how everybody tried to help Buffy, Dawn and Joyce. I always have to think about the moments when Xander and Anja carried about Dawn when they let her sleep her in their house! So funny and emotical!

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 PM ----------

By the way "emotical" this word doessn't really exist, does it?
I think you mean emotional. But it was close enough that I knew what you meant. :D

I agree though. This episode does have a lot going on with the emotions of the characters. Makes it very interesting.

Black Thorn
I love all the heart to heart's in this episode. The one's between Riley and Spike, Buffy and Riley and then Buffy and Xander. It really looked into Buffy and Riley's relationship. On some level you can understand Buffy being heartbroken, she had given herself to Riley as much as she was emotionally able and he was telling her that it wasnt enough for him. On Riley's side of things he had needed to be with her, to help her and take care of her but she hadnt let him do that.

Its a shame she wasnt able to reach Riley (I cant belive i'm typing this as a Bangel :))

E
EffieT1
it's okay Bangelite, we wont tell angel
My favourite line in this episode:

Anya: We have to see the chimp playing hockey! That's hilarious! The ice is so slippery, and, and monkeys are all irrational. We have to see this!

As a Buffy/Riley shipper, this is a sad episode for me as it marks the end of a great relationship, but to be perfectly honest, I feel like their relationship was over before this :(

PassionBecoming
PassionBecoming
[No message]

AnthonyCordova

Earth Invasion Taskforce Unlimited
Sineya
I need to watch the episode again, (and earlier Riley episodes) because I just don't understand where Riley's problems and doubt are coming from. I don't understand what he thinks Buffy's withholding from him. And Buffy doesn't really love him?!? What? What's he talking about? What more does she have to do? It sounds like he's really just battling his own insecurities. And it also seems selfish to demand everything from somebody else. Specifically, to demand that Buffy should really need him. You really care for me, you show this to me all of the time, but somehow this isn't enough...I need you to need me so bad that you're dependent on me. That seems like what Riley was saying. It's selfish.

And I liked Riley in many ways...it's sad to see him go out like that. His final episode made me doubt him and lose a little respect for him. I had no idea this kind of thinking was what he was really feeling.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Yeah, I've never been a Briley fan.
Riley's reasons for leaving always felt a little weak to me. Remember that he and Buffy have been actually dating for about a year (and a fairly intense one at that), and suddenly he, what? knows what their future holds so he's gonna give all that up to go and become a soldier?
Buffy was distracted big time by her Mom's illness (I know from personal experience that an ill parent can easily become your sole concern, never mind anything else), and Riley feels left out, because he thinks Buffy doesn't need him.
Fine, its kinda dumb, but it comes from a place of insecurity, I accept that. Talk to her. :rolleyes:
Getting vamps to bite you is beyond stupid. :mad: When Riley did that...I gave up on their relationship, pretty much. His justification to Buffy was stupid and insulting.

Yes, Buffy took Riley for granted, she didn't realise that there was a problem...but it only became an issue when Joyce got sick. (Add to that Dawn's observations and Spike sticking it to Riley led to an exaggeration of the problem...:( )

I was sad when Riley left, but for Buffy's sake more than anything. I thought, 'great, so after three really dark, depressing episodes we're gonna have Buffy moping for another two or three episodes...' Luckily we had 'Triangle' :), and the writers kept Buffy introspection about her relationship with Riley as a sub-plot (Finally dealt with in 'I Was Made To Love You')
The real reason Riley left is because 1) a lot of fans didn't like him and 2) He didn't really fit the Scoobies...he was kind of square and out of place, so he was written out.

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
[No message]

PassionBecoming

Minuscule Redheaded One
Sineya
I need to watch the episode again, (and earlier Riley episodes) because I just don't understand where Riley's problems and doubt are coming from. I don't understand what he thinks Buffy's withholding from him. And Buffy doesn't really love him?!? What? What's he talking about? What more does she have to do? It sounds like he's really just battling his own insecurities. And it also seems selfish to demand everything from somebody else. Specifically, to demand that Buffy should really need him. You really care for me, you show this to me all of the time, but somehow this isn't enough...I need you to need me so bad that you're dependent on me. That seems like what Riley was saying. It's selfish.
I disagree. There is a difference between "need" and being "dependent". Riley is well aware that Buffy is independent. His issue with the relationship is that Buffy won't open up to him emotionally. She doesn't confide in him. She is obviously in need of support during her mother's illness, but she won't talk to Riley about it. He is trying to be there for her and help her, but she won't communicate with him about what she needs.

To me, to have a strong lasting relationship, you do need to be vulnerable with your partner and be able to communicate with them no matter what the circumstance. Buffy and Riley were in a fairly serious relationship; when she started having issues it shouldn't have turned into "I can't deal with you because I have to deal with this", it should be "I'm having some things to deal with, please help me". Buffy pushed Riley away big time and it caused him to leave.

That said, though I loooove Briley, I do not think Riley was The One for Buffy by any means.

Wild At Heart

the moon lights his way
I'm a Bangel fan but I always liked Riley. I thought he was a good guy for Buffy & I always thought that their relationship would last but that of course there would be obstacles like with any relationship. I understand Buffy putting up walls & shutting down emotionally after everything that happened in her relationship with Angel but on first watch, after Xander pointed those things out to her, I was rooting for her to make it in time before Riley left. I still think they could've worked things out & I'm sure Buffy knew at that point that she could open up & that she would be willing to work harder at their relationship. After seeing the whole series now though, I do realize that like Buffy says in season 7, she's still figuring out who she is. It wasn't the right time for her to be with anyone, whether it be Riley or not. However, being a Bangel fan, I still believe that someday even if it's years & years down the road, Buffy & Angel will have a chance again...especially after Buffy lives her life & experiences everything she needs to that she can't experience with Angel.

What I also liked about this episode are the scenes with Dawn, Xander & Anya. Anya is hilarious as always. I love how Dawn points out that Buffy & Riley really just wanted to have loud, obnoxious sex lol then Anya turns to Xander & says, "Does that mean we can't?"

This episode is also so bittersweet to me just like all of the episodes leading up to The Body. I remember watching this ep for the first time & really be so ecstatic that Joyce was going to be okay. Now, every time I do a re-watch, I still get that hopeful feeling even though I know what's coming. :(

PassionBecoming
PassionBecoming
[No message]
This is a sad episode and I really feel for both of them. I do think that it was wrong of Riley to give Buffy an ultimatum, and make her feel like she was the one at fault, but I also think that Buffy has a tendency to not accept when she's done something wrong. It just seemed like a very rushed way to end the relationship. I liked that it was left unclear about what would have happened. She clearly wasn't ready to let him ago, and I do think that he could have been the one for her (hear me out, their relationship wasn't as entertaining to watch but if we imagine her life in the long-run, I think they could have got over their problems and become closer). My main issue with Riley is that he clearly did have problems with Buffy being stronger, which is pretty childish.

Last edited:
Top Bottom