• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 5.11 "Damage" - Aired 1/28/2004 (WB-US)

Flannen

Flannix
When an emotionally unstable woman, Dana, escapes from a psychiatric ward, Angel learns that she was tortured as a child and is now searching for her tormentor. Andrew, a watcher-in-training, arrives from Sunnydale with surprising information about Buffy and to inform the group that Dana is also a vampire slayer.
Source: TV.com

Discuss this episode here!

Jules

Bite Me
Black Thorn
In the opening scene Dana is very much like the First Slayer in the way that she moves and also using the blood to mark a similar signature on her face.

The scene with the gang in Angel's office really showed how Gunn is different from the rest of them. Like Angel said, I liked the old Gunn better :) Harmony was so funny when she was telling Angel what had happened with Dana. It also had similarities with Faith's escape from the secure hospital.

I love watching the different ways Spike and Angel go about their investigations. How very fitting of Spike to say the same things to this slayer that he did to the first slayer that he killed.

I've missed Andrew!! His Lord of the Ring references were great and the Buffy helped comment was hillarious. I also really enjoyed hearing about what the Scoobies had been doing.

When they said that vampire slayers sometimes get visions of the slayers that have died before them, I wonder if Faith and Kendra ever received visions of Buffy dying at the hands of the Master, or Faith receiving visions of Kendra being killed by Dru.

I loved Andrew's comment to Angel about having 12 slayers with him, none of which had ever dated him! Although I wished it had been Buffy or Faith that had appeared as back up. I think it would have sent the message home to Angel more strongly than Andrew saying they dont trust him.

I was so shocked at Spike having his arms cut off! I liked the Spike/Angel scene at the end.

This episode goes back to the theme of Buffy and Angel. Angel has always been the darker show. Buffy at the end of Season 7 was all about giving those girls, the potentials, their power, their ability to take control of their destiny and protect themselves. Angel showed the dark side of the Slayer. It showed the flaws in Buffy's plan and that she has inflicted her own sort of evil on the world by empowering all those slayers without the guidence they need.

PassionBecoming

Minuscule Redheaded One
Sineya
Alright, this is the one episode of AtS I have seen previous to this watch. I didn't really know what was going on, but it was good to have the link back to Sunnydale.

-Wouldn't they have a guard on a secure unit?
-Oh, my. I didn't see that beginning part. Quite gruesome...
-Gunn is so hot, all in his suit and speaking legalese.
-I love Fred's outfit - cream sweater with gray jeans.
-I would think if Eve got fired the SP would just assign a new liaison...
-Possessed...or a slayer....
-"Is pathological idiot an actual medical term?" Heh
-Ooo, go nurse for spilling the beans!
-Straight for the donuts. Smart girl.
-Now how is it that just her size jeans are sitting right on top?? I always have to dig for like, 10 minutes at stores...
-Romanian gypsy talk ringing a bell, Angel?
-The vampire blood-smelling thing is just so icky, even if handy.
-Ooo, Angel is putting the puzzle pieces together.
-Spike, you bonehead. Can't fix everything by fighting! Also, do Slayers just automatically know how to fight? Because Dana is fairing decent against a pretty epic fighter...Buffy apparently didn't need all that training. ;)
-Spike, you have done your fair share of pavement bouncing. Time to quit that experiment! And no, Spike, not a Chinese demon.
-ANDREW is Giles' top guy?!?! And, oh, dear goodness, his hair...
-Ah, this is where I started watching this one. The Tale...
-Sunnydale Surprise. Buffy the Vampire Slayer Extraordinaire. Lesbian Witch. Oh, Andrew.
-Why does Andrew have a British flag on his lunch bag?? And Goldfish crackers? OH, my.
-Insane chick with superpowers? Faith Part Deux?
-Spike does have a point there. And also, I don't feel like Dana could take down Spike or Angel.
-Aww, the nice dock guy. :(
-Going to get the house to talk, eh?
-This makes me so sad. :( Sometimes the things some kids see and hear is just so wrong.
-Spike? Heh? Is she just imagining that?
-Dawn went to school in Rome? Interesting.
-Again, could an untrained slayer really put up a fight against Spike like that?
-Well, those voices in her head taught her some stuff.
-WHISKEY!
-She. Took. Off. His. HANDS?!?!?!
-"You killed her. You killed them both." Finally starting to feel sorry, Spike?
-Angel and Fang Gang to the rescue!!
-"Where do you think my orders came from?" Ouch.
-I do believe Mr. Spike learned a lesson.

Silverspike

Scooby
This is one of my absolute fav AtS stories. I loved the character of Dana and loved how in this story the writers are dealing with the fallout from Chosen and flagging how problematic that empowerment spell could be in the wrong hands.

The whole thing had a kind of X Files vibe to me mood wise. Could have done without the inclusion of Andrew, but hey thats a minor quibble.

Loved this dialoge which shows Spikes carrying on getting to grips with his soul and imo which brings him that bit closer to to understanding Angel.

ANGEL
(walks in)
A lot of pain?

SPIKE
More than I'd like. But not as much as you would. Just what I deserve.

ANGEL
(sighs)
I didn't say that.

SPIKE
No. I did. The lass thought I killed her family. And I'm supposed to what, complain 'cause hers wasn't one of the hundreds of families I did kill? I'm not sayin' you're right... 'cause, uh... I'm physically incapable of saying that. But, uh... for a demon... I never did think that much about the nature of evil. No. Just threw myself in. Thought it was a party. I liked the rush. I liked the crunch. Never did look back at the victims.

ANGEL
I couldn't take my eyes off them. I was only in it for the evil. It was everything to me. It was art. The destruction of a human being. I would've considered Dana a masterpiece.

SPIKE
What happens to her?

ANGEL
I don't know. Um, Andrew and the slayers took her. Didn't trust us to help her.

SPIKE
Andrew double-crossed us? That's a good move.
(chuckles)
Hope for the little ponce yet. Though the tingling in my forearms tells me she's too far gone to help. She's...one of us now. She's a monster.

ANGEL
She's an innocent victim.

SPIKE
So were we... once upon a time.

Charmander

Potential
I like Andrew's hair. Usually people look worse after they return to a show, but Lindsay and Andrew are looking fine!
I do think this episode would have been even better with a different member of Buffy's crew (Maybe Giles or Xander since they've never been on) but it was still a great episode.
Angel looks a bit like a surly teenager at the end when he has his arms crossed Andrew takes away Dana; you can see where Connor gets it from!

white avenger

white avenger
The whole "Buffy doesn't trust you, Angel," is so obviously straight from Giles that ol' Rupert should have delivered it himself. If Buffy didn't trust Angel, she would have said it herself, face to face, not through any middle man.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Rewatched this episode. It's quite a heavy story and quite gruesome. Spike's hands being cut off- I knew it was going to happen but seeing those stumps is still quite shocking.

The scene at the end between Angel and Spike is quite powerful. However, I do wonder if it would've been even more powerful if Spike was still soulless and the depravity of what that man did to Dana was too much even to him.

spikenbuffy
spikenbuffy
But he was soulless, he wouldn't feel guilty

GraceK

Grr Arrg
I think Xander would have been so much better in this episode than Andrew. Given the history between Angel and Xander it would have been perfect

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
Mental hospital mix-up, ouch...

This whole season is very much all over the place...

Girl needs to chill...

Fred, it's a business man thing...

Fire Eve please :D

Spike :eek:

In this world, demon possession makes perfect sense...

We don't eat from stores :mad:

Flashbacks, bad flashbacks :(

What's so special about Romanian ??? o_O

She's a potential :eek:

Angel, it takes a while to wrap your head around that...

Andrew :eek:

Andrew still has a crush on Spike...

Not surprised that he's going to a therapist...

Fred, you caught on.

Angel, Spike, stop acting like children :mad:

Lorne,won't help...

Poor girl :(

She might be onto something...

It was Spike :eek:

Glad to hear that Dawn is back in school :)

Andrew, don't tell her :mad:

She's here :eek:

Andrew still has some work to do...

Spike, please don't remind me of that thing you had with Buffy... :rolleyes:

This is just disturbing to watch...

I might have to change my avatar on Tumblr after this since I'll never be able to look at Spike the same way again...

Spike is getting exactly what he deserved...

Spike has no hands :eek:

It's not Spike after all ??? :D

Angel, not helping...

At least Spike will be getting his hands back :)

More potentials :eek:

Andrew has grown quite a bit though...:)

At least Spike has his hands back :D

Next time: Cordy dies :(

white avenger

white avenger
I think Xander would have been so much better in this episode than Andrew. Given the history between Angel and Xander it would have been perfect
I've always thought that Andrew was fine throughout the episode, but that it would have worked out much better if Xander, or maybe Giles, had been the one to show up with the squad of Slayers to collect Dana. Andrew was perfectly in character with his whole Junior Watcher persona right up to the end, but that last scene just didn't fit with his character. Also "Buffy doesn't trust you anymore," just isn't what he would have said, or how he would have said it. He would have come up with something much more dramatic, and, of course, silly. The Andrew that we all knew and felt exasperation for would have said the word, "Vampyre," at least three times in that speech.

caitaintdead

caiters gonna cait
Black Thorn
I have a question - is it ever mentioned in the comics what happens to Dana after they take her away?

Top Bottom