• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 5.11 "Triangle" - Aired 1/09/01 (WB-US)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
While trying to create a new spell to help Buffy with her Slaying, Willow is distracted by an argument with Anya and accidentally releases a troll from a mystical prison. With Buffy in mourning over Riley leaving town, Willow and Anya may need to defeat the troll themselves before it flattens the entire town"¦
Source: TV.com

Discuss this episode here!

PassionBecoming

Minuscule Redheaded One
Sineya
So, technology was not my friend yesterday! I couldn't get my Roku to work to continue my AtS watch, the BB was down while I watched a couple eps! I was going into withdrawals! Haha.

Anyway. I can't believe how much I LOVE this episode! I don't hear it talked about much, and I didn't remember liking it as much as I do. It's Willow and Anya centric, and while I like them fine, they aren't my FAVORITE characters. There are so many little things in here that I love, though.

The whole conversation that Buffy and Dawn have about Riley and his leaving was really heart-warming and sad. Buffy and Dawn were really bonding, and it was nice to hear Buffy speak lovingly of Riley. She obviously cared for him very deeply and misses him a LOT - such a case of "too little, too late". The "maybe he'll come back" line just killed me. :(

OLAF!!!!! I have to say, he is my FAVORITE demon in the whoooooole series! I LOVE HIM! I seriously laughed through this entire episode after he made his appearance. I don't know if it's the type of humor I have, but the way he talks just cracks me up.

There are so many great quotes in this ep in general - I won't post them all!

The scenes with Olaf, Xander, and Spike in the Bronze are just hilarious. Love how Olaf just punctures the keg with his teeth and guzzles. Awesome.

The Buffy/Tara moments were so sweet, too! I enjoy seeing them bond further and actually be friendly. Even taking a class together! Yay!

More Xander love for him first extricating him from Willow and Anya's little war and then again for him trying to fight Olaf to save his gals. He definitely has heart, I must say.

Willow and Tara mostly just annoyed me in this ep, but I'm glad they worked out their issues!

Sineya
I liked Anya's little 'warn me' speech at the begining lol:
Xander? If you ever decide to go,
I want a warning. Big flashing red
lights and one of those clocks that
counts down like on a bomb in a
movie. And there's this whole bunch
of colored wires and I'm not sure
which is the right one to cut, but I
guess the green one and then at the
last second... no... the red one and
click, it stops with three-tenths of
a second left. Then you don't leave.
Like that, okay?

Also thinking of buffy as a nun, is quite amusing lol :D
Spike with the box of chocolates, practising his little speech is kinda cute lol
I thought Willow and Anya were kinda annoying in this one, which is weird, as I usually really like Willow :S
Olaf was a pretty ok demon, he didn't look like something from power rangers, so that was a plus lol :D
Spike and Xander hanging out at the Bronze was kinda funny. I thought they looked like they could really be good friends under different circumstances :rolleyes:
I thought Buffy's crying outbursts were sort of out of character, I mean I know she's sad and depressed about Riley but she usually just goes out and kick butt, the crying stuff was just weird.... :S

Black Thorn
I like how this episode looks into relationships that are usually not focused on in the show. We see Tara and Buffy at school and Buffy breaking down because of Riley. I also liked how we saw how Willow and Anya acted about Xander, it is the typical relationship for a boyfriend to be in about who to choose, your girlfriend or best friend. I did enjoy it.

I really enjoyed this episode! The troll was super funny, Anya and Willow fighting like two little kids was funny, Buffy breaking down when talking to Tara was funny (in a sad way). And Spike... Spike, Spike, Spike. The guy is just hilarious. From practicing how to say he's sorry, to the sheepish "hello" he gave when Buffy showed up at the Bronze, to holding on to her when they both fell down while fighting the troll. The guy is an absolute hoot.

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
[No message]

AnthonyCordova

Apocalypse Engine
Sineya
I found the troll's sense of honor/nobility in his exchange with Xander (before and during their fight) really funny. And Spike was so funny this episode, especially at the Bronze. And I still can't believe how Buffy doesn't notice that Spike is attracted to her. Episode after episode, she just misses it. Probably because her first reaction every time she sees him is revulsion. Still...

Wild At Heart

the moon lights his way
This is one of my favorite stand alone episodes of this season! The scenes with Willow & Anya are hilarious! I love how Willow taunts Anya by floating the merchandise & how much Anya freaks out when the cash register vanishes. "Xander, she endangered the money!" I always could tell in some scenes that Willow & Anya had tension so I'm glad they got their feelings out in the open & dealt with them in this episode. Olaf is hilarious, especially in the scene with Xander & Spike where Xander is trying to persuade him to not eat babies. Spike just wants to tell him to go look at the hospital lol

It's a bit out of character that Willow would take things out of the shop without paying. I guess you could say this was part of her decline but even if she was obsessed with magic she's still seemed Willow enough up till now to not do something like that.
I always felt it was a shame that Buffy never found a subject she was interested in, it was all based around whatever schedule fitted.
And Buffy's little breakdowns were adorable, I liked that the episode following Riley leaving wasn't full of too much drama.

GwenRaiden

AKA Apology Girl
Black Thorn
Willow was very annoying in this episode, but I guess that's the plot line and the reason why she and Anya come to blows. I really dislike Willow's "I'm better than you" attitude towards Anya! I think season 5 was when I really started not enjoying Willow anymore.

Spike and Xander hanging out at the Bronze having some bro time was good. Spike's "what do you think, the hospital?" line was as funny as I remembered.

Tara and Buffy hanging out was nice too! They have some cute dialogue. Benson is sooooooo pretty.

The triangle theme of the episode is relatable though, most of us have been in the same situation with a lover or friend. I have definitely been the Anya in this situation! I did feel really bad for Xander (I hardly ever feel bad for Xander!) being told to choose between the two. Anya telling Olaf to take her instead of Xander was sweet.

I take it the other triangle in the episode would be Buffy/Spike/Riley - with Riley's departure; Buffy dealing with him leaving, Spike with the box of chocolates and the mannequin (the spiteful, destructive side of the demon, Spike, and the patient, poetic side of William conflicting are great). Also, Spike trying to figure out if Buffy is mad at him for taking her to the vamp brothel, while also trying to gain her respect for not feeding on the injured after Olaf's destruction of the bronze.

Funny, good character development and a nice break from the big bad, Glory.

This episode goes under the readar a bit for me. I really enjoy it, the stuff with Willow and Anya is good because they needed to deal with their issues over Xander and the fact that they are such different characters. Sorry to disagree Gwen but I think Willow is great in this episode. Think it is more season six where her character takes a dip maybe. Like you say you do get some good character deveolpment, and the stuff with the troll was fun!

Black Thorn
This one is easily the best of Jane Espenson IMO.

It's also the most "pure" comedy episode. There are no slow setting-ups like what are in "Band Candy/BB&B". There are no burden of serious B-plots like what are in "A New Man". It's just funny from the start to the end without much exception. Even the fighting/action scenes are hilarious.

Buffy/Dawn bonding was sweet. Buffy's heartbreaking and Dawn's caring was played both sincerely and amusingly.

The "back to the cruel reality" ending was feels very Whedon-ly. Then ending of Angel S2 re-used the same kind of pacing rhythm.

I found the troll's sense of honor/nobility in his exchange with Xander (before and during their fight) really funny. And Spike was so funny this episode, especially at the Bronze. And I still can't believe how Buffy doesn't notice that Spike is attracted to her. Episode after episode, she just misses it. Probably because her first reaction every time she sees him is revulsion. Still...
Yeah, and even when Dawn tells Buffy in a later episode that Spike's totally into her, Buffy's reaction is like "huh?" I can't believe Buffy was that clueless.

I do buy that it wouldn't dawn on Buffy about Spike. I mean they had been arch rivals pretty much all the way through the show. And I think its that thing of not really believing that such a thing could be happening. Spike himself was in denayal for awhile.

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
Xander, I have that feeling all the time...

Xander, do you miss Riley ??? o_O

Anya, are you implying something ??? o_O

Why do nuns wear black robes in the first place ???

At least Buffy saved the nun :)

Buffy, being a nun is not for you...

Giles, you are a bit of a fanboy about your books :p

Anya, how is that great for anyone but you ??? o_O

Willow, How do you do different colored pens for each thing without going crazy ??? o_O

Joyce, you can continue to wear a robe if you want ;)

Dawn, being insightful isn't very creepy, it's just a bit creepy...

Buffy, I don't think that he will be coming back...

Spike, what are you doing ??? o_O

Spike, don't take it all out on your Buffy doll :(

Anya, they can run the store better than you...

Anya, you haven't heard of The Cat in the Hat ??? :eek:

Willow :eek:

I really hate Anya right now...

Anya :mad:

Olaf has Thor's hammer :eek:

Buffy, I don't like spitters either...

Buffy, you need a tissue...

Willow has a point, Giles has his moments...

Spike, go eat an onion blossom :rolleyes:

Spike, she's too preoccupied to notice anything...

Olaf likes beer :p

Olaf, don't eat babies please :(

Willow, you can't wish for a small loan of a million dollars and get it straight away :p

Willow, continue :)

Spike :mad:

Anya, rules are stupid, but some are necessary...

Anya, Willow, stop it :mad:

Olaf :mad:

Xander won't surrender, Xander won't choose :p

1000 years :eek:

Buffy might actually succeed...

Olaf has died :)

It broke :eek:

Giles is back :D

Dawn, go to your room :eek:

Next time: The watchers council makes life harder.

jls

a big cat
UGH I hate these quotes!

Anya and Xander, in bed together:

Anya: Maybe it's her. Maybe it won't happen to us because it's all about her messing things up. She couldn't make it work with Angel, and then she let Riley go away.

Xander: Yeah, relationship debris is kind of piling up on the Buffy highway.

Two relationships ending is not a debris pile-up! The reason her and Angel aren't together is not because *she* "couldn't" make it work! It is Riley's own choice and responsibility that he left, not Buffy's!

ARGH! :mad::mad::mad::mad: Stop the Buffy-blaming!

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
Re watched this one today and I love it.
First of all the Buffy & Tara scenes are amazing. I love that dynamic and buffy opening up to her!
Willow and Anya were so hilarious together they have a banter that works well!
Awe I miss Riley :( .
I loved Spike caring so much about Buffy and how much he wanted her to like him. Haha they're the best! Team Spuffy!
Also I love seeing Joyce , Giles and Buffy at the end when Dawn overheard them referring to her as the key.
Great episode.