• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Discussion of 5.11 "Triangle" - Aired 1/09/01 (WB-US)

Oromous

Socially Awkward
Sineya
I really like Willow's hair. She looks good with the curlies:

5yjMYOh.jpg

Other than that, is it me or are Willow's worst qualities come bubbling up in this episode? She belittles Giles for being an idiot, she thinks Xander is often out of line (which is more true in the earlier seasons, but not really season 4 or 5... except maybe "Into the Woods"), she steals from Giles without remorse, and she callously practices magic without the proper precautions. If she knew Anya would disrupt her spell, why didn't she just go into a secluded room or perform the spell later with Tara? Willow shares some of the blame too for bringing about that demon.

I like Willow when she's more sensitive about her words while remaining assertive and confident, but this new reckless Willow who casually wields dangerous spells around and gaining an ego due to her mastering magic? Not so much. You'd think she's learned her lesson from "Something Blue". I could see how this development would lead up to Dark Willow in season 6 though.

But I like how this episode uses the opportunity to point out some of the past transgressions that still have fans talking today, such as Willow cheating on Oz, or even Anya's past life as a vengeance demon. It's nice to get the perspective from Anya that she really has left behind her life as a man-killer, but I almost forgot about her past life until it's pointed out this episode, probably because she's been just "one of the Scoobies" for a while now, not a vengeance demon.

I love Spike's portrayal here. Let's remember: he's still a demon, a vampire whose heart is driven by his base desire alone rather than out of any genuine compassion, so it makes sense that his actions here are driven by his desire to impress Buffy and win her over. lol It's cute.

Overall, it's a fun and light episode that helps us recuperate from the heavy drama of the previous episode. We've got a demon here that acts like he walked out of the middle ages with his baby-eating and all around cartoonish villainy. I don't even really mind that much that Buffy's pain from break-up is played for laughs here in a somewhat comedic fashion whenever Xander and Anya's relationship is brought up in front of her.

6/10

Last edited:
Reactions: Bop

Priceless

Scooby
I like Willow, but she definitely comes across as entitled in this episode. It's her contempt for Anya that really grates on me.

Top Bottom