• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 5.12 "Checkpoint" - Aired 1/23/01 (WB-US)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Quentin Travers and a team from the Watchers Council arrive in Sunnydale with information about Glory. However, since Buffy no longer works for the Council, they decide that they must put her and her friends through a grueling set of tests to determine that she is worthy of their trust.
Source: TV.com

Discuss this episode here!

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
I really, really liked this episode. Love Spike & Lydia flirting, so cute & funny! Buffy's speech at the end was kick-ass. So interesting how Glory was physically in the same room as the Key and she didn't know it. Why doesn't she know it? She's a god after all. Anya's "Willow's a demon?!" is my favorite quote. Spike and Joyce watching Passions together. And who knew Glory's minions could actually fight? Spike and Buffy's relationship took a turn with Buffy asking him to protect Joyce and Dawn, of course not the last time she'll do that.

I absolutely ADORE when Buffy does her power speech. It makes me say "That's right girl! Take that power that's rightfully yours!" I just feel so proud of her. And I'm like "Take that Quentin! OOOOH What now?!" I watch this episode just for that. It's just so fantastic. GO BUFFY!

E
EffieT1
[No message]

xfivebyfive

Because its Fate.
Black Thorn
This is episode is really good. I love Buffy's speech. She gives some really awesome speeches. I love what she says about each of the scoobies. I also love when theyre interrogating Anya, Xander, Tara and Willow. Those scenes are hilarious. And Spike and the female watcher was so cute lol.

Five

Magical Proficiency Level
That's one of my favourite episodes of the season, I guess it makes the top three after The Gift and The Body...

It's the episode I show people who know little about the show, I think it's an interesting episode that you can follow without much trouble if you don't know the characters, that introduces the characters, that shows the dynamics and give you an urge to watch the rest...

My nickname actually comes from this episode, it's the quote from Tara. I adore this scene where they get so stressed up about the interrogations Tara just blindly makes up a magical efficiency level, not even knowing what it means... Haha so funny "FIVE!". (In French they say "neuf!" (=9) ... never got why but hey, that's how it always is in the French version).

That speech at the end is just EPIC. "I'm pretty sure I said 'no interruptions'." I love these kinds of moments where the characters suddenly reverse the situation of power. During all the episode, you never question the authority of the Watchers, you suffer through Buffy's exams and her friends' interrogations like them, but when Buffy delivers her speech, suddenly you're like ... "hey... well, that's true... I never thought of that before but WHY should we listen to them anyway when she is the one with... the powaaaaaa?". I think that's very brilliant.
The last episode of the first season of Glee actually reminds me of that, with Sue Sylvester, who is always the queen in the high school and a local celebrity. But in the jury the other ones suddenly put her back in her place and you're like "hey... that's right... she's JUST a local celebrity, she's "nothing" compared to them", and you never thought of that before because she was always in an environment where she ruled the place.

Tillow4ever
Tillow4ever
[No message]
VisionGirl
VisionGirl
Well, cool username then! :)
F
FetalPig
I was just gonna post that "Five!" was my favourite line in this show, it cracked me up :) .. so you get Double Kudos!!

Tillow4ever

♫ I'm Under Your Spell ♫
My nickname actually comes from this episode, it's the quote from Tara. I adore this scene where they get so stressed up about the interrogations Tara just blindly makes up a magical efficiency level, not even knowing what it means... Haha so funny "FIVE!".
Hahaha! I love that part too!
And the part when they ask Willow and Tara about their relationship and they get confused and tell the guy they're lesbians. Haha. That was hilarious! and I love the speech at the end! Buffy was awesome! And the part when Anya was like "Willow's a demon!?" hahahaha.

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
While we all love to hate the Watcher's Council, their appearance makes things so much more interesting. I almost wish we had seen them more. And thinking about Quinten Travers...he's a smart man, the Council really could be powerful allies with Buffy. And almost were, until they were blown up!

caitaintdead

caiters gonna cait
Black Thorn
Okay, I was browsing through Checkpoint quotes and came across this beauty:

Joyce: Passions? Oh, do you think Timmy's really dead?
Spike: Oh, no, no. She can just sew him back together. He's a doll, for God's sake.
Joyce: Ah, what about the wedding? I mean, there's no way they're gonna go through with that.

Buffybot as Timmy: Do you think Buffybot is really gone? Hell no, it's a robot, you just put it back together.
Joyce and the Xanya wedding: I mean, there's no way they're gunna go through with it is there?

I love reading into quotes that mean nothing. Really interesting.

Z
zobothehobo
[No message]

Chosen Enemy

Losing my soul
This episode shows how much a Slayer is just a Slayer and not a human being to the Council. It's not like it was her choice, and they're right on her, because they have the power. But they don't really, as Buffy explains to them. They see a Slayer as black and white - a warrior who's there to do the dirty job of cleaning the world out of vampires. I would like to see them getting off of their asses and make an afford for the world for real for once. It's easy talk when you're hiding behind your books and sending a teenage girl to fight to death, her certain death. They don't care. A Slayer dies, they just hop to the next one in line.

VisionGirl
VisionGirl
[No message]

FetalPig

Poltergasm
Xander got his wrist broken by Olaf in Triangles while over in LA Lilah got her arm broken by Darla or Dru in Reunion. Discuss.

no, just kidding .. but is it deliberate, on the part of the writers? Weird, huh?

This is one of my fave episodes, and I like what ^^Five^^ said up there about the way the power gets shifted during the Ep. The speech is perfect, of course, and my fave moments are

Tara: "Five!"

and Dawn the seething teenager foiling Glory's plans. Brilliant!

But really the whole thing is great. 10/10

I really love this episode. I love Buffy and Glory's conversation and I love the 'family outing' to Spike's crypt - "Well, that's a boatload of manly responsibility to come flying out of nowhere." and of course, the interrogations by the council are priceless.

I like this episode, not a favorite but it's good. the interrogation scenes are obviously the high point, I love the part when the watchers are asking Spike questions and the female watcher has a tiny little crush on him :D
Spike: Heard of me, have you?
Lydia: I... wrote my thesis on you.
Spike: Well, well. Isn't that neat?
haha her face after that is priceless :D

Z
zobothehobo
[No message]

Gum Gnome33

"Well, yeah..."
Sineya
This is one of my all-time favorite episodes! It's got so much goodness in it, as mentioned in previous posts. I think it also has a lot of profound "firsts" that set up the tone of things for the rest of the series.

-Buffy bringing Joyce and Dawn to Spike's for protection: This is the first time we see her really putting faith and trust in Spike. It's a very powerful moment for me when their eyes meet after she says "you're the only one strong enough to protect them," and he answers simply, "all right." Up until this point, it's been mostly bickering and games between them,(with the exception of the porch scene in Fool for Love).

-Buffy stands up to Tarvers as a woman, instead of as a teenage girl. Instead of just muttering "bite me" under her breath, this time she pinpoints exactly why he is there, and just how useless he is, and calls him out on it.

-First time Willow and Tara really come out as a couple together, proudly, in front of another person. Until this point it had always been danced around with people saying "we know, Will," or "sometimes you don't need a boyfriend," or Willow blurting it out to Giles in The Yoko Factor in a heated moment,(which didn't do justice to their budding romance).

-Buffy lets one of her opponents "go;" at this point we don't really know anything about this Knight, (do we ever know if they're human?) and neither does Buffy. It's the first time she's been in this situation.

-First (I think only) time we see Anya bake something successfully! (Or "cook," as she says!)

-First time Buffy speaks up about just how much Xander's bravery means to her, and to the scoobies.

PassionBecoming

Minuscule Redheaded One
Sineya
I really enjoyed re-watching this episode! Finally, Buffy is truly embracing her power and using it to her advantage! LOVE her putting the Council in their rightful place; they had it coming. Obviously, they were just trying to trip her up and make her feel inferior because they felt slighted by her. Seriously, were they really not going to give her the information? What in the heck are they going to do against a Hell God??

I think most of the great moments have already been mentioned. Love how they had their meeting when Giles found out the Council was coming. Also, Buffy stopping when she finds Riley's sweater was great - he may have left, but the memory of him being in their lives is still there.

The interviews with the Scoobies and Spike were just hilarious! Especially Tara and Willow's. "FIVE!"

As was mentioned, here is the first case of Buffy truly trusting Spike. She left two people she loves in his care. Major shift in their relationship. (And lots of giggles with the Joyce and Spike moment!)

The power speech at the end was just epic. Buffy is smart, logical, and knows how to strategize. I really like the scene when Glory comes to Buffy's home, too. Also, that got me thinking: Say Glory gets ticked off and kills Dawn. Then what?? Obviously it would be sad for Buffy, but she could be like, "Um, you're a MORON."

Buffy really solidifies the relationships of all the Scoobies as a unit as she points out that each of them are useful, functioning members of the group that is fighting evil. Again, she shows that her "unconventional" ways of slaying really pays off. I would like to see if any other slayers have kept going as long as she has.

This ep is also when the plot tends to get a little convoluted with so many storylines. Enter the Knights, Glory is a God, blah blah blah.

Sineya
I really didn't like the council! :mad: They had some damn cheek, closing the magic box and threatening to deport Giles!! :mad: I was soooo glad of Buffy's speech at the end! It was brill!! :D:D Especially when she throws the sword at that guy! just brill!! lol :D
I also loved it when they were interviewing Willow and Tara...sooo funny! :D

TARA
Our relationship?
WILLOW
We're... friends.
TARA
Good friends.
WILLOW
Girlfriends, actually.
TARA
Yes. We're girlfriends.
WILLOW
(stronger)
We're in love. Lovers. We're gay
lesbian-type lovers.
NIGEL
(expressionless)
I meant your relationship with the Slayer.
TARA
Um... just good friends.

Also loving Joyce and Spike watching Passions lol :D

Black Thorn
I like this episode because you can see a big change in Buffy from start to finish, at the beginning she's unsure of herself, she lets her teacher put her in her place, when clearly Buffy was in the right, then the Watcher's council come and make her ''jump through hoops'' and Glory comes and tells Buffy how she's going to kill all her family.

Then at the end she makes her killer speech about having all the power!

Taake

Bella
Staff member
Black Thorn
Oh I love the end of this episode, the Watcher's council interviewing the Scoobies is of course really funny, but it is absolutely awesome when Buffy stands up to them and takes her power back! Go Buffy :)

PassionBecoming
PassionBecoming
[No message]
Ooh I love this episode - I just finished watching it and wanted to comment on some of the interesting things it sets up. Of course, there is the traditional (kinda manic) Joss-esque hilarity... We're lovers. Lesbian, gay-type lovers and Willow's a demon and Who's our little patriot?
Those scenes with the council interviews are fantastic. But it also moves to series forward a lot. We see Buffy, for the first time, putting her trust in Spike and we see her really begin to assume her role of 'adult' - standing up to the COWs (Council of Watchers - LOL). It's where we begin to see that Giles isn't the only adult around, and that's really important.

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
All that comes to mind when thinking of this episode is the awkward girlfriend talk with Tara and Willow, funniest moment. And Anya, hilarious!

One of my favorite episode of the season.

I
itssmiletime
[No message]
Wesley Pryce
Wesley Pryce
[No message]