• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 5.13 "Blood Ties" - Aired 2/06/01 (WB-US)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Buffy finally tells her friends that Dawn is the Key and they start acting strangely when Dawn is around. Dawn figures out that something is wrong and wants the truth. She has seen that crazy people know that she is different, so she goes to the mental ward at the hospital for some answers.
Source: TV.com

Discuss this episode here!

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
Just re-watched this, and wow- I am so impressed with Michelle Trachtenberg's performance. I usually find Dawn a bit annoying (but I'm not a Dawn-hater), but I completely sympathized with her in this. I found myself tearing up when she cut herself and said "This is blood, isn't it? It can't be me. I'm not a key. I'm not a thing. What am I? Am I real? Am I anything?" And even the "Get out, get out, get out!" was true to the situation and the character. I can totally hear myself as a 14-year old girl there.

Loved Dawn & Spike's interaction; as per usual, he's the first one to truly understand what's going on (Dawn's reaction to finding out that she's the Key). The fight scene at the end is good, too, and Buffy's "Look, it's blood. It's Summers blood.... It's just like mine. It doesn't matter where you came from, or, or how you got here. You are my sister" will factor in sooo importantly in The Gift.

Funny quote from Buffy: "Glory is evil. And powerful. And in no way prettier than me."

And huh...Glory's minions can fight. Who woulda thought?

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
Michelle Trachtenberg's acting impresses me too, especially for someone so young

Gum Gnome33

"Well, yeah..."
Sineya
I like this episode a lot. But it happens to contain one scene that upsets me a bunch.
When Dawn finds out she's the key and Giles offers to stay and help, Buffy says, "it's a family thing," and practically pushes him out the door.
I realize not everyone will agree with me. But the way I see it, this whole episode is about accepting certain people as family whether or not they are actually related to you, and no matter how long you've actually known them. I've always seen Giles as a father figure to Buffy, and until this point I thought she'd seen him that way as well. I would at least like for her to have caught herself after saying that, then maybe backpedal a bit, saying "I mean, you know. Just me and mom for now. Thanks though." Or, "Stay!" I'm sure he'd have helped a lot.

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
good point
Charmander
Charmander
[No message]

HisMrs

The Walking BED
Sineya
I like this episode a lot. But it happens to contain one scene that upsets me a bunch.
When Dawn finds out she's the key and Giles offers to stay and help, Buffy says, "it's a family thing," and practically pushes him out the door.
I realize not everyone will agree with me. But the way I see it, this whole episode is about accepting certain people as family whether or not they are actually related to you, and no matter how long you've actually known them. I've always seen Giles as a father figure to Buffy, and until this point I thought she'd seen him that way as well. I would at least like for her to have caught herself after saying that, then maybe backpedal a bit, saying "I mean, you know. Just me and mom for now. Thanks though." Or, "Stay!" I'm sure he'd have helped a lot.
I totally agree with this. I can see why Buffy would want Giles to leave while she and Joyce talked to Dawn about being accepted as their family, no matter how she came to be there, she could have been a little more tactful in how she told Giles that. She could have said something more along the lines of "Thanks but I think Mom and I need to be the ones to handle this."

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
[No message]
Sineya
I'm glad they told the scoobies about Dawn, it seemed weird them not knowing :) Was a shame they started acting weird though :S
It was kinda sad when Dawn came into the room after cutting her arms, you can just imagine how confused she must feel :( Also feeling she should sought out answers from crazy people rather then her family was sad :( Naturally Ben annoys me! :rolleyes: and I just think Glory is really stupid lol :rolleyes: Thought it was funny Willow 'poofing' her into the sky lol :D

Black Thorn
I felt sorry for Joyce in a way, especially when Dawn tells her to stop touching her and that she's not her mother. I guess it would be a lot like how an adopted child might react if they'd found out by accident that their parents werent their birth parents.

I liked how all the gang came together to find Dawn, although I wondered why Giles and Xander thought she'd be hiding in a dumpster.

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
[No message]
I think Buffy does think of Giles as her father but I don't think Dawn does, and since this is about Dawn I think that's how BUFFY meant it. Yes she could've said it in a more tactful way to Giles but I don't think her statement reflected her thoughts of him not being family but rather Dawns.

thetopher
thetopher
Exactly I think Buffy was thinking of Dawn before herself when she said that to Giles.
Wild At Heart
Wild At Heart
[No message]

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
This really is Dawn's episode, MT is great here.

Other stuff that I like:
- Spike's arguement with Buffy is really good, and I actually saw his point. He was looking out for her.
-Plus their conversation as they search for Dawn, as he tries to comfort Buffy, was also a nice scene.
- Xander and Giles talking about Dawn's crush on Xander. Fun.
- Pretty much every Dawn scene. But especially the one's with her and Spike. And Dawn's reaction to the reveletion that she's the key. :(
- All the Scoobies facing off against Glory and barely holding her off. Really brought home for a physical menace they're facing.
- Buffy conforting her sister at the end. Sweet. :)

Wild At Heart

the moon lights his way
Wow, this is such a great episode. I did feel really bad for Dawn. Anya cracked me up in the Magic Box when she says "You make a really pretty girl." I can understand how Dawn eventually picked up on how everyone's behavior shifted somewhat when she was in the room. It was time for her to know & I'm glad that Buffy wanted to learn everything possible about where Dawn came from so that Dawn would have more answers. The ending scene with her & Buffy makes it all worth it. I love that the last thing Dawn asks is "Do you think she'd raise my allowance?" Cute.

Also, the teleportation spell Willow uses on Glory is awesome but intense. The nose bleed & her hitting the floor made me cringe just because I could only imagine what that would feel like. I always wondered actually. I imagine it as being like a sudden migraine.

Vigeous

I've been thinking about the world...
Glory is amazing. I've never really cared for her character all that much in the past but with this watch through I am really enjoying her sass. Great acting.

I've really been trying to appreciate Dawn more but as soon as she starts screaming I feel completely disconnected from her character and from the episode. I guess you could say that MT's performance affecting me that much is a good thing on her part. She's definitely getting her character's essence across. I just can't deal with it. I think it's the way she screams. Either way, I'm trying to be a Dawn fan but it hasn't happened yet.

Vigeous

I've been thinking about the world...
Also, forgot to mention, how did Dawn forget what happened with Ben and Glory? She saw Ben change, 100%, no question.

I feel like this is a detail that I'm forgetting this time around. Hopefully it reveals itself within the coming episodes. :)

Awesome episode! Great acting by Michelle and Sarah. Would find it hard to feel anything but sorry for Dawn, especially at the age she is.
It's so creepy that Glory can almost tell what someone is thinking when they're planning to attack or escape even when her back is turned.
I love how in this season we get to see the big bad just sit casually having chats with either Buffy or Dawn rather than just relying on mostly fighting scenes or big confrontations. I defended Adam a little but Glory is just miles better. Loved her just completely owning all the Scoobies. (I'm on their side, I promise!)
And t's weird how Dawn just forgets that Ben changed into Glory.

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
Buffy's turning 20 already ??? :eek:

The 3 I's, Giles :p

Buffy, tell them...

Glory :eek:

Willow, Tara, it's OK, you just need to get used to it...

School is more than just boredom and despair, it has some redeemable qualities as well...

Glory, I don't think that a god is supposed to behave like that...

Joyce is looking better :)

Anya, TMI... :rolleyes:

Bad Dawn :eek:

Spike, why are you still stalking Buffy ???o_O

Spike and Dawn, stealing some stuff :p

Spike, maybe Giles is just incapable of writing in any size that isn't small, some people are like that.

Dawn knows she's a key, and she's not taking it well :(

Dawn is only six months old, trying to let that sink in...

Get out !!! :eek:

Spike, you've been busted :p

Dawn, you aren't a blob of energy :(

Poor Dawn :(

Why Dawn Why ??? :(

Hormone bomb is a good way to describe a 14 year old...

Poor mental patients :(

He's turning into Glory :eek:

Glory, stay out of this... :mad:

Dawn is smart enough to fool Glory :)

Where was Glory sent to ??? o_O

Dawn, you are a Summers all the way :)

Next time: Something more Spike centric.

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
Re watched this one today. Michelle deserves a lot more acting credit then she gets. I get chills when she cuts herself and walks into the room. I'm a huge Dawn fan but even if I wasn't I couldn't see how even her detractors would fail to sympathize with her. I feel bad for Buffy and Joyce too as they want Dawn to know she's accepted and loved but I completely understand Dawn pushing them away.
Running away made sense to me as when I was younger I would run from my problems too (sometimes I still do) so I completely got Dawn. Life can be tough & she's going through a hell of a lot.
Glory is a firecracker!
Loved her scenes with Dawn.
Buffy's speech to Dawn at the end of this episode was beautiful too.
Overall great episode & a win for Dawn.

Top Bottom