• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 5.14 "Crush" - Aired 2/13/01 (WB-US)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Buffy notices that Dawn is spending a lot of time around Spike and assumes that Dawn has a crush on him. Dawn surprises her, however, by telling her that Spike is in love with Buffy. Meanwhile, a train pulls into the Sunnydale station with every passenger slaughtered by a ravening vampire, and Buffy is finding it hard to concentrate on the investigation while simultaneously fending off Spike's advances.
Source: TV.com

Discuss this episode here!

Chosen Enemy

Losing my soul
This episode makes you say about Buffy "WHAT A BITCH!!"
But what would you have done if you were tied up by a vampire who wants to sqeeze some feelings phrases out of you?

PassionBecoming

Minuscule Redheaded One
Sineya
-It was nice seeing the Scoobies out partying at The Bronze! They gotta let loose every now and then. I loved Buffy's outfit!
-It's super cute how Dawn and Spike are all bonding. Very unlikely pair for sure. I don't like Spike's wardrobe change. Meh.
-Xander getting all jealous because Dawn has a crush on Spike was so very Xander.
-Spike and Buffy's stake out date was freaking hilarious!!!! Poor Spike, he's trying so very hard. :)
-Very good point about the chip. Spike isn't being good because he's choosing to be, he's being good because he HAS to be. I always wonder if he would have become obsessed with Buffy if he never got that chip and walked on the "good" side of things. He wants to do bad things in a bad way.
-Oh, Druscilla. I do enjoy her nutcase antics!! (I'm watching AtS in order with this re-watch, so it's fun to see everything in order.) She is so nuts, but so intuitive. "Knick-nacks in your brain." I like that one.
-Harmony and Druscilla meeting. Oh. My. Gosh. HAHAHAHAHAHA.
-Oof, the feedings at The Bronze are pretty grotesque. Best it gave Spikey a nice jolt to get some fresh blood, though!
-Ok, this may be a though because I'm a firefighter's wife, but is it really safe to leave an open flame in the basement of your crypt? Especially when your'e a vampire?
-Spike is so cheesy when he's telling Buffy he loves her. And crazy. You can't blackmail someone into loving you. Ahh, that whole not having a soul thing isn't quite working out.
-"We can love quite well." Poor Dru.
-Harmony can put up a pretty good fight for a cheerleader.
-And Buffy puts up a pretty good fight while shackled.
-I love all the parting words of Spike's women, then Buffy just hauls off and punches him. Awesome.
-Spike was off his nut this episode, but I still felt bad for him when Buffy changed the locks on her house.

Good ep. :)

Sineya
I thought this episode was good but different :) It was definatly weird seeing Spike out of his usual outfit :S lol I thought it was pretty cool Dawn hanging out with Spike too lol I do feel sorry for Spike though, he just tells Buffy he loves her and she just freaks out :S but then I just find it really creepy when she finds the 'Buffy obsession lair' :eek: and of course when Spike goes all creepy pyscho when he ties up Buffy, trying to make her say she loves him, that's very stalker serial killer :eek: I would have 'locked him out' too! :eek:

DarlaFan2011

In love with Lorne
I love the way Drusilla talks, Juliet did an amazing job with this role. I feel really bad for Spike. Buffy could have told him in a nicer way.

Cheese Slices

Take it easy, Joan
An excellent episode which provides both great humour and great character development !

Pros:

- Spike trying to dress like Riley: interesting and quite lame ^^
- Spike getting along so well with Summers women (except, well, Buffy)
- The "date": priceless !
- Dru's back !
- The dance at the Bronze: mesmerizing
- Spike facing (through Drusilla, Harmony and Buffy) his past, his present and his future.
- He actually hesitates right before feeding from this girl at the Bronze: it's telling.
- The fact that despite everything he can do, you can't help but feel sorry for Spike.

Cons:

Don't have any actually ^^

Cheese Slices

Take it easy, Joan
Yes, gotta say it broke my heart, but it's understable. I don't consider it as "con" because it's not OOC, it's pretty much what you expect Buffy to do, even if I'm not happy about it.

Black Thorn
I love that Dru came back in this episode. I felt really sorry for Spike, he was so desperate for Buffy's affection and she was just so mean. I love that he tried so hard to make Buffy see the changes in him. The scene with him, Buffy, Harmony and Dru had everything, it was harsh, funny and action filled.

Dru! I love her so much. I do feel that there's way more chemistry with her and Spike.

Also, Harmony with the backing away scene was hilarious.

OFAWB

Spike's Pet
Black Thorn
When Spike turned to Buffy and said, "It's not blood. It's bourbon," I almost fainted. Bourbon is the only liquor I can stand.

This thread needs someone to be pro- Buffy... (which is weird coz I'm usually the first to say bad stuff about her, but really, with all the 'what a bitch' comments someone needs to).

I mean, if I just found out a former serial killer and a rapist with an incredible sadistic nature about them had a crush on me, I would spiral downwards into a level of self hatred and disgust at myself. I would feel so gross and even though, no matter how much my family and friends remind me that it's not actually true, I'd still believe it. And then there is the whole being concerned for your own safety and your own family- and well, deinviting him and asking Dawn to not go near him would help.

Cutting people out of your life, in particular, if they disgust or revolt you, is never a bad thing. I fail to see how Buffy is a bitch in this situation- and I have no sympathy for Spike whatsoever in Crush. How he treats Harmony, Drusilla and Buffy is appauling.

Lyri
Lyri
[No message]
NeonNightLight
NeonNightLight
[No message]
The Thirst Evil
The Thirst Evil
[No message]

OFAWB

Spike's Pet
Black Thorn
No, I don't blame her for cutting him out of her life, either. I just have a strong bias, and I'll be upfront about it. I don't know if Spike was a rapist (yet), though... Serial killer, yes.

The Chosen
The Chosen
Different strokes for sure! Fine by me though :D

The Chosen

Time is all around
Sineya
I fail to understand how anyone could empathize with pre-soul Spike. And I mean truly empathize...not just a cursory, "Yeah, Spike got chipped? That sucks!"

Buffy isn't the bad person for being "mean" here. Spike is soulless and evil. Everything he does is colored with that -- even his love for Buffy. But yeah, Buffy's not the bad guy because her stalker chained her up in his weird love dungeon. That doesn't even make sense.

O
OFAWB
Different strokes! :)
PassionBecoming
PassionBecoming
[No message]
NeonNightLight
NeonNightLight
[No message]
thetopher
thetopher
[No message]
crazysoulless
crazysoulless
[No message]
I love harmony exclaiming: "I told you spike, no threesomes unless it's boy boy girl..... Or Charlize Theron". Lmao. Not only can't she count - there's four of them there, but she even has a ceLEZbrity crush!

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Yeah, I'm pretty much on Buffy's side this ep. If it wasn't for the chip Spike would be trying to kill her every other week- what is she supposed to do when he says he loves her? It's just creepy.

I did feel sorry for Spike at first, then Dru turns up and he uses her as a tool to get at Buffy, to force her to accept him. Luckily she doesn't play ball. :)

I pretty much loathed Spike after this up until 'Intervention' where he redeems himself in the end. (although building the Buffybot is so creepy, even if she is hilarious!)

Xin Rong

Killed by Dissertation
Spike is a ruthless killer, and has put Buffy and her friends through hell over the years, so Buffy basically telling, what she believed to be at the time, the truth is more than excusable, especially considering Spike's subsequent actions.

AnthonyCordova

Apocalypse Engine
Sineya
Over on AtS Angel encounters Darla again and, despite her evil past, makes an attempt to save her soul...to turn her good. He tries to give her a second chance. Buffy doesn't have the history with Spike that Angel has with Darla, (and Angel and Darla were once lovers) but still. It's worth noting the difference between Angel and Buffy.

It's totally understandable that Buffy finds Spike revolting. And sure, Spike has done a lot of evil in the past (just as Darla had). But if she had Angel's attitude, she might have seen Spike's infatuation with her as a possibility to change Spike to a good guy. Small chance maybe, but he is consistently choosing to do good things now, and sometimes not even for Buffy's sake.

I know that Angel feels differently about giving people second and third chances because he himself is trying to make up for his own dark demons. He's sympathetic. He has to be. Buffy's attitude is understandable, but I think to myself, maybe she didn't learn all she needed to from Angel.

In my opinion, if a person is willing (or shows the capability) to change, everyone deserves a shot at redemption. An opportunity here is being wasted. It might just be possible to change Spike for the better. Buffy can't see past her revulsion of Spike to maybe offer that help to him.

This episode is probably the worst one for my argument, and I agree that his games after tying up Buffy was a creepy thing. Born of Spike's desperation to be honest. But I'm taking in the accumulated evidence of this entire season. My first impression from the season as a whole is that Spike just might be redeemable. The good things he chooses to do from time to time is not just because of the chip in his head.

Last edited:
Blaze
Blaze
I see a Spuffy in the making! :p