• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 5.14 "Crush" - Aired 2/13/01 (WB-US)

Btvs fan

Scooby
How does anyone feel bad for Spike? he's one of my favourite characters but he's literally a soulless vampire with an obsession with her.
Same way I feel for Faith even when she is doing awful things. The actors bring sympathy to the roles.

At the start of the episode though they don't know that and he's just trying to fit in. As he says to Buffy he was right there fighting the fight.
Anyas mocking you may have hurt his feelings is pretty nasty considering how she felt she'd been treated only a couple of episodes ago

Lol Buffy brings him up at her house and goes right to him when she thinks Dawn is missing too

genghiskhan
genghiskhan
Yeah I'm not very good at being sympathetic

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Same way I feel for Faith even when she is doing awful things. The actors bring sympathy to the roles.
I also think the reason why Spike gets so much sympathy from fans(on occasion, more than he should) is because the other characters treat him so awfully. I've said it before, but there is no reason whatsoever why the scoobies can't treat Spike civilly. They don't have to like him and that's their right, but given that he's a scooby team member who fights alongside them and helps them out, at the very least be civil. Manners cost nothing.

On the flipside, this is why I think Xander gets so much hate from the fans. There are times when he is in the wrong yet the other characters don't bat an eyelid. It's kind of like fans are picking up the slack for the characters.

Btvs fan

Scooby
I also think the reason why Spike gets so much sympathy from fans(on occasion, more than he should) is because the other characters treat him so awfully. I've said it before, but there is no reason whatsoever why the scoobies can't treat Spike civilly. They don't have to like him and that's their right, but given that he's a scooby team member who fights alongside them and helps them out, at the very least be civil. Manners cost nothing.

On the flipside, this is why I think Xander gets so much hate from the fans. There are times when he is in the wrong yet the other characters don't bat an eyelid. It's kind of like fans are picking up the slack for the characters.
Agree. Hmm I wonder, is the Scoobies treatment of him, the writers insert view of Spike and how they view him. Basically they just saw him a comedy foil to have for insulting quips with and that's it 🤔

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
This has to be the funniest episode of the season 😂
I’ve avoided watching it for ages now because I’m not a fan of Spike’s attachment to Buffy but this is a good episode in it’s own right. Drusilla was really impactful considering she’s only on screen for like 10 minutes of the episode. It’s probably my favourite of Dru’s run on Buffy.

genghiskhan
genghiskhan
I’m not a massive fan of Buffy and Spike but I love that episode!

Twinkie

Townie
I was happy Dru was back but sad her appearance was wasted. I don't think I have wanted something to end more than Spike's creepy obsession with Buffy. I did enjoy it though it was funny between Xander's hysterical laughing and Buffy's looks of disgust. I like Harmony but I do have my limits.

Ceadsearc03

Potential
Just rewatched this episode and loved Dru. I wish we had more of her, but as other said, not in the context she was there in. So not a fan of desperate, stalker!Spike.

I did find it interesting when I was reading the original shooting script, there was a cut line from Dru, when she’s choking Buffy.

DRUSILLA
Hear the pretty music? It's a dirge
I think... For your funeral...
(a quizzical look)
But it's not here..

I feel like that’s some major foreshadowing they elected not to go with ...

Btvs fan

Scooby
The ending where Buffy just stands and watches 2 vampires just turn around and walk away is ridiculous. On top of that Harmony is given a load of pointless dialogue that makes it even worse

Top Bottom