• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 5.14 "Crush" - Aired 2/13/01 (WB-US)

Btvs fan

Scooby
How does anyone feel bad for Spike? he's one of my favourite characters but he's literally a soulless vampire with an obsession with her.
Same way I feel for Faith even when she is doing awful things. The actors bring sympathy to the roles.

At the start of the episode though they don't know that and he's just trying to fit in. As he says to Buffy he was right there fighting the fight.
Anyas mocking you may have hurt his feelings is pretty nasty considering how she felt she'd been treated only a couple of episodes ago

Lol Buffy brings him up at her house and goes right to him when she thinks Dawn is missing too

one eyed chicklet
one eyed chicklet
Yeah I'm not very good at being sympathetic

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Same way I feel for Faith even when she is doing awful things. The actors bring sympathy to the roles.
I also think the reason why Spike gets so much sympathy from fans(on occasion, more than he should) is because the other characters treat him so awfully. I've said it before, but there is no reason whatsoever why the scoobies can't treat Spike civilly. They don't have to like him and that's their right, but given that he's a scooby team member who fights alongside them and helps them out, at the very least be civil. Manners cost nothing.

On the flipside, this is why I think Xander gets so much hate from the fans. There are times when he is in the wrong yet the other characters don't bat an eyelid. It's kind of like fans are picking up the slack for the characters.

Btvs fan

Scooby
I also think the reason why Spike gets so much sympathy from fans(on occasion, more than he should) is because the other characters treat him so awfully. I've said it before, but there is no reason whatsoever why the scoobies can't treat Spike civilly. They don't have to like him and that's their right, but given that he's a scooby team member who fights alongside them and helps them out, at the very least be civil. Manners cost nothing.

On the flipside, this is why I think Xander gets so much hate from the fans. There are times when he is in the wrong yet the other characters don't bat an eyelid. It's kind of like fans are picking up the slack for the characters.
Agree. Hmm I wonder, is the Scoobies treatment of him, the writers insert view of Spike and how they view him. Basically they just saw him a comedy foil to have for insulting quips with and that's it 🤔

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
This has to be the funniest episode of the season 😂
I’ve avoided watching it for ages now because I’m not a fan of Spike’s attachment to Buffy but this is a good episode in it’s own right. Drusilla was really impactful considering she’s only on screen for like 10 minutes of the episode. It’s probably my favourite of Dru’s run on Buffy.

one eyed chicklet
one eyed chicklet
I’m not a massive fan of Buffy and Spike but I love that episode!

Ceadsearc03

Potential
Just rewatched this episode and loved Dru. I wish we had more of her, but as other said, not in the context she was there in. So not a fan of desperate, stalker!Spike.

I did find it interesting when I was reading the original shooting script, there was a cut line from Dru, when she’s choking Buffy.

DRUSILLA
Hear the pretty music? It's a dirge
I think... For your funeral...
(a quizzical look)
But it's not here..

I feel like that’s some major foreshadowing they elected not to go with ...

Btvs fan

Scooby
The ending where Buffy just stands and watches 2 vampires just turn around and walk away is ridiculous. On top of that Harmony is given a load of pointless dialogue that makes it even worse

FaithLehane16

"Five by Five."
This episode breaks my heart when it comes to Drusilla and Sprusilla. I honestly think that Drusilla deserved more than what she's got. A person or undead being should be wasted for a louder fanbase. The way it was done was pitiful and sad. You can't start an episode having Spike look all lovey dovey with Drusilla, just to make it look butchered due to his gruesome obsession with Buffy. It's pitiful. In this episode, Spuffy looks unattractive compared to Sprusilla's beauty. It's disappointing that the some of the writers chose to go on the Spuffy route here while discarding both Drusilla and Sprusilla.

It would've been more in Spike's character to go back to LA with Drusilla rather than pursuing Buffy. Some of the comments I've read here about Spike's true nature at the end of the day is more in tune with Drusilla than Buffy.

About Dawn's crush on Spike, it's absurd that a sister would want to pursue men who are romantic prospects of her older sister. We see Xander crushing hard on Buffy in the earlier seasons, but he ends up with her sister instead. In the comics, we see Dawn hugging Angel while saying that she used to have a crush on him semi like she did with Spike. In this season, she crushes on Xander despite him previously pursuing her sister. Xander bought Buffy a bracelet, asked her to Spring Fling, was jealous over frat boys, Owen, and Angel, dug Buffy in her vampiric state, brought her back to life, and referred to her as the other woman he is interested in, but is currently unavailable because she's still mourning Angel in Bewitched, Bothered, & Bewildered. He was interested in both Buffy and Cordy at that time.

I'm definitely on Buffy's side in this episode. She doesn't need to put up with Spike's absurd advances towards her.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
@FaithLehane16 The irony is that the symbolism of Spike offering to stake Drusilla for Buffy only works if he still cares deeply for her. If he didn't care, then it would mean nothing. Bit of an own goal by the Spuffy writers there. JM and JL had much better romantic chemistry together than SMG did with JM. Frenemy chemistry wise they were great.

That is so true about Dawn. Whilst the character herself is okay, her addition to the series did have a detrimental effect on the story telling IMO.

The problem I have with Buffy when it comes to Spuffy is how inconsistent she is towards Spike. One minute she's repeatedly telling him she wants nothing to do with him, the next she's kissing him on the lips unnecessarily (Intervention). She needs to be consistent with him otherwise he's getting mixed messages. This is exactly what happens in Season 6.

Taake

Something Wicked This Way Comes
Staff member
Black Thorn
The problem I have with Buffy when it comes to Spuffy is how inconsistent she is towards Spike. One minute she's repeatedly telling him she wants nothing to do with him, the next she's kissing him on the lips unnecessarily (Intervention). She needs to be consistent with him otherwise he's getting mixed messages. This is exactly what happens in Season 6.
Doesn't it kind of reflect how conflicted she is about him though? Like when she's with him she's drawn to trust him, and feels for him, but also rationally knows that she should be on her guard. So feelings and rationality combined creates her inconsistency?

I get what you said earlier, about the gang being more civil to Spike, which I generally agree with but at the same time, he is still technically evil here. It's like introducing Jeffrey Dahmer into a mixed company and going "be nice, he hasn't eaten anyone in a couple of months". Sure, manners are fine, but the gang are kind of right to be conflicted and not quite sure how to deal with Spike. For all they know the chip could malfunction and he'd kill them all, or he'd double cross them like he tried to in season 4 with Adam.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I get what you said earlier, about the gang being more civil to Spike, which I generally agree with but at the same time, he is still technically evil here.
What bugs me is that they're actually nicer to him BEFORE he spends a whole summer helping them out, particularly Xander. In Season 6, you'd think he gambled away Miss Kitty Fantastico given the way the scoobies treat him. Dawn inadvertently kills the cat yet everyone is totally okay with her.

Btvs fan

Scooby
Doesn't it kind of reflect how conflicted she is about him though? Like when she's with him she's drawn to trust him, and feels for him, but also rationally knows that she should be on her guard. So feelings and rationality combined creates her inconsistency?

I get what you said earlier, about the gang being more civil to Spike, which I generally agree with but at the same time, he is still technically evil here. It's like introducing Jeffrey Dahmer into a mixed company and going "be nice, he hasn't eaten anyone in a couple of months". Sure, manners are fine, but the gang are kind of right to be conflicted and not quite sure how to deal with Spike. For all they know the chip could malfunction and he'd kill them all, or he'd double cross them like he tried to in season 4 with Adam.
Considering Anya is always joking about the people she murdered in her demon days that's incredibly inconsistent. Especially as her bodycount is larger than Spikes

@FaithLehane16 The irony is that the symbolism of Spike offering to stake Drusilla for Buffy only works if he still cares deeply for her. If he didn't care, then it would mean nothing. Bit of an own goal by the Spuffy writers there. JM and JL had much better romantic chemistry together than SMG did with JM. Frenemy chemistry wise they were great.

That is so true about Dawn. Whilst the character herself is okay, her addition to the series did have a detrimental effect on the story telling IMO.

The problem with this whole theory is that Fury the writer is not Spuffy. He calls Spuffy fans serial killer lovers and outright stated this episode was to show why they arent right for each other

Taake

Something Wicked This Way Comes
Staff member
Black Thorn
Considering Anya is always joking about the people she murdered in her demon days that's incredibly inconsistent. Especially as her bodycount is larger than Spikes
Yeah, I think they treat Anya too lightly. However, she is at this point human. Which at times in the show appeared to mean something, which was why it was okay to put pointy things through the chests of soulless evil ones but not mean-spirited or even evil humans.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
The problem with this whole theory is that Fury the writer is not Spuffy. He calls Spuffy fans serial killer lovers and outright stated this episode was to show why they arent right for each other
Fury also wrote Gone which features Buffy giving Spike a blowjob so he's clearly not as anti-Spuffy as people think.

Puppet
Puppet
I find Gone more proof that he's anti-Spuffy, actually, precisely because of the BJ scene.

Btvs fan

Scooby
Fury also wrote Gone which features Buffy giving Spike a blowjob so he's clearly not as anti-Spuffy as people think.
"To those who feel my conviction that Spike can never be redeemed and never end up with our heroine shows a lack of imagination on my part. I say your right, it is beyond my limited imagination to see a strong independent female character falling for a murderer who would be killing again were he not suffering from chip affliction"

"For those of you who fault my thinking, I can only say I'll try to be more open minded in the future. In the meantime S/B shippers you go back to writing your pen paps Richard Ramirez and the Hillside strangler and I hope they finally accept your marriage proposals"

He couldn't be more explicit after saying that

katmobile

Scooby
If we refer to what most of the writers thought- and that's what some people like to do and consider it valid- then Spike is a special vampire with some residual soul in him (or something).
There's no explanation given for this 'special-ness' but the result is that he's certainly one of the worst vampires in existence, since he had more agency than any other vampire and yet apparently chose to be as awful as he was.

I actually prefer the 'Buffy-centric' view of Spike, in that he's not that special at all but a combination of the chip and Buffy's compassion/unwillingness to kill him whist chipped meant he changed the way he did.
It's not soul its heart and the way he develops is a consequence of both his own nature and circumstances i.e. the chip. We are who we are no matter how much we appear to have changed. I like Fury but he found a reason post ensoulment that reconciled him to the ananolmy or percieved one in his part but it's not the truth as I percieve it. Nor is your perception.

Top Bottom