• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 5.14 "Smile Time" - Aired 2/18/2004 (WB-US)

Flannen

Flannix
When several children are hospitalized after watching a TV show called Smile Time, Angel goes to check out the studio only to be turned into a puppet. Now, Angel and the gang have to stop a group of evil puppets from stealing the souls of children and return Angel back to normal.
Source: TV.com

Discuss this episode here!

sisterofmercy

Ray of Sunshine..
This is my favourite episode of Angel. I love puppets and have always thought they looked a bit evil. I think I prefer Angel as a wee little puppet man.

V

Vamp Jenny

Fave episode of Angel! I can watch it over and over again withotu getting tired.

"Angel you're..."
"Spike..."
"You're a bloody puppet!!!"

This line never gets old! XD

TheGentlewoman

The Gentlemen's Lady
Everyone should read Spike: Shadow Puppets too :3

Spike and Lorne as wee little puppet men X3

Jules

Bite Me
Black Thorn
Was it just me or did anyone else think the noises the puppets made when they were taking the energy out of those kids was a little bit rude (I might just have a dirty mind :)). Also Fred is coming across as a little bit of a tease, in my opinion. Dont get me wrong, I've always routed for her and Wes but I just feel like the last time she saw Nox she was willing to start something and now all of a sudden she's not.

Also, Angel isnt acting like he's just lost someone he loves. It was only 2 episodes ago were Cordy died and I know she hasnt been a big part of his life for Season 5 but still. Nina is certainly a hussey (the bangel in me is protesting at the new development of a relationship - it was only 2 episodes ago that I had to deal with all the Cangelness :)).

The whole episode is hillarious and the guest appearance of David Fury was great, the twist that he was actually being used as a puppet was ingenius.

Taake
Taake
you were not alone... about the noises that is
Give Us A Kiss
Give Us A Kiss
[No message]

PassionBecoming

Minuscule Redheaded One
Sineya
Evil puppets? I am going to HATE this episode!! 0_0

-Good night, I'm not sure I can watch this episode. Creepy puppet and that kid...meh. I seriously have shivers.
-THE. PICTURES.
-Awww, Fred shoots Knox down. :(
-Oh, werewolf girl!! Fun to see. Nice that she can keep going to W&H on full moons.
-Uh-oh, Gunn is still starting to lose his legal brains.
-Ooo, Angel is getting flirted with...:p
-"How did you respond?" "Well, I of course ignored her completely, changed the subject, and locked her in a cage." Heh.
-Angel is all nervous about a girl. Heehee. And glad Wesley pointed out that achieving true happiness is extremely elusive. And Angel needs to be yelled at! Go have some fun, dude!
-Ooo, I love Fred's outfit with that pleated skirt.
-And then Fred gets shut down. Interesting.
-Lorne knows about Smile Time?
-Angel getting dizzy? Hmm.
-Guy with a towel on his head? Sauna time?
-ANGEL'S A PUPPET?!
-"Oooh, my God! Angel, you're....cute!"
-Angel freaking about the remote. Heh.
-Angry Angel puppet. Hahahahahahaha.
-Very incognito, Angel. Make more noise.
-Spike sees Angel. "You're a bloody puppet!!!" Angel punches him, "Hey, that's enough!"
-He bites him!!!!! Ok, puppet Angel and Spike fighting is way funnier than it should be.
-Saying Lorne has "unfortunate deformities"? Bad move.
-Well, a human puppet. Creepy to a new level.
-Eductainment. So...stealing innocence to sell in Hell?
-Glad he told Nina about the puppetitis. :)
-"No Nina! Bad Nina"! So..werewolves don't like stuffies then?
-Lorne just makes me happy. "Is there a Gippetto in the house?"
-Aw, Gunn, you were good the way you were. :( Don't do it!!
-Poor Knox. And Fred "I'm not really looking for so much as looking at..." Ai ai ai. So complicated!
-Ahhh, the songs are cloaking spells.
-Ninja puppet hug!
-Alright, puppet Angel with the sword might be the best image ever.
-Another great reason not to put a TV in my kids' rooms...
-They are fighting puppets. Gotta take that in for a moment.
-Fred shoots left handed. Interesting.
-Vampire Angel puppet!! "I've got a lot of demon in me."
-"What do puppets eat?" "Let's find out." So cute!!
-Well, finally, some kissies between those two!

There's a good chance I will have nightmares for weeks after this ep. Little creepy kids and puppets/dolls terrify me.

Silverspike

Scooby
Simply loved this story. The puppets were excellent (created by ex Henson makers I believe) and the dialogue was cracking. :D

Puppet Angel was so cute when brooding. :)

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
(the bangel in me is protesting at the new development of a relationship - it was only 2 episodes ago that I had to deal with all the Cangelness :)).
It shouldn't protest, it should try to enjoy the rest of the episode, because this episode is one of the better ones (Maybe that's just me being bias because of my username :p).

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
-Lorne knows about Smile Time?
Of course ! Lorne knows all about pop culture :p

He bites him!!!!! Ok, puppet Angel and Spike fighting is way funnier than it should be.
Possibly the idea of fighting with a puppet makes it funny :)

There's a good chance I will have nightmares for weeks after this ep. Little creepy kids and puppets/dolls terrify me.
I think that you would rather watch Puppet Angel than the Chucky doll…

Puppet Angel was so cute when brooding. :)
That squinty eye is cute indeed :)

Puppet Angel is so cute you just want to cuddle him…:)

By the way, What would a puppet Illyria do ? Would she be less powerful because she would be in puppet form ? Or should she still posses just as much power as in human forum ?

Charmander

Potential
Aw, the kid at the start, Tommy, also played young Dean Winchester in Supernatural. :)
Ah okay, his smile face was creepy as hell. D:
Omg, I love puppet Angel and all his furious little expressions. They got the pouting and the eyebrows to a T. xD
My favourite part was the shock on his face and when he ran to hide from Nina.
But man, those other puppets were creepy!
Even creepier than the puppets was that Doctor/Surgeon working at W&H. Good actor though. I wonder where this will take Gunn...

Silverspike

Scooby
By the way, What would a puppet Illyria do ? Would she be less powerful because she would be in puppet form ? Or should she still posses just as much power as in human forum ?
If you read Brian Lynch's comic 'Shadow Puppets' you may get an idea. :D

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
Both Angel and Wesley are a bit thick:
Angel was unaware that Nina has a thing for him while Wesley was unaware that Fred had a thing for him.

Speaking of Nina, her character isn't annoying, just a bit dull...

-Poor Knox. And Fred "I'm not really looking for so much as looking at..." Ai ai ai. So complicated!
Knox is also a bit thick, he is unaware of Fred's attraction to Wesley.

thetopher
thetopher
So guys are basically stupid! :P

Samuel Reyes

Chilling in SunnyD
Both Angel and Wesley are a bit thick:
Angel was unaware that Nina has a thing for him while Wesley was unaware that Fred had a thing for him.
Well, Angel has always been awkward with women, so for him it's kind of understandable.

Wesley, on the other hand, has been hanging on Fred's every word for the past couple of years and doesn't seem to notice when she's finally making advances toward him? Harder to believe.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Just rewatched this episode, it was great. Spike's scene, though funny, didn't really need to be in the episode if they weren't going to use Spike beyond that scene. JM must've had fun that day.

Lol at the children's tv puppet calling the other puppet "dickwad".

This episode had the tongue in cheek humour that Buffy lacked from season 6 and 7.

Top Bottom