• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 5.15 "I Was Made To Love You" - Aired 2/20/01 (WB-US)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
A strange girl arrives in Sunnydale searching everywhere for her boyfriend Warren. She is sweet, pretty, and strong enough to throw Spike through a window when he hits on her. Buffy and the gang decide that they must do something before someone less impervious to injury gets in her way and gets seriously hurt.
Source: TV.com

Discuss this episode here!

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
I think I liked this episode more than I should have; was it popular? I liked the introducing of Warren and the idea of the sex-bot. It's rare that I like standalones yet this season had some quality ones.

Chosen Enemy

Losing my soul
Poor April, she was so lovely, with perfect smile, perfect hair... that was the problem. She was too perfect, Warren didn't want her.

In the beginning of the episode, Buffy is disgused by the discovery about Spike's feelings towards her. I think she too was looking for the perfect guy, and to her Spike is... well, not that perfect. She's looking for something that's not really there.

white avenger

white avenger
Poor April, she was so lovely, with perfect smile, perfect hair... that was the problem. She was too perfect, Warren didn't want her.
More likely, Warren wasn't satisfied with April just because he had her, if you get my meaning. He always struck me as the type of person who always wants more, regardless of what or how much he already has. He was as much of a vampire as any blood sucker on the hellmouth, he just fed on emotions, whether real or artificial, rather than blood, and he was always on the lookout for new prey. That's also probably a large portion of the reason that he treated Jonathan and Andrew the way that he did.

PassionBecoming

Minuscule Redheaded One
Sineya
-Awww, I love the Buffy/Xander moment in the beginning. They are such cute friends! Xander is such good reassurance.
-I've always loved that scene with Dawn and Buffy making Joyce spin a lot. It's so nice and light-hearted and fun. And Buffy's not being qualified to give love advice. Heehee.
-Anya and Tara speaking computer talk was pretty funny! As is Anya's fascination with Chex Mix.
-Willow got in trouble for checking out the ladeeez. :)
-Spike's hair looked way overbleached in the party scene. Glad he's back to his black duds again. I think it's hilarious he got thrown through a window.
-"I've had enough of super-strong women who aren't me." :)
-Is it weird that I feel really bad for a robot?
-"I miss Oz. He'd get it. He wouldn't say anything, but he's get it." Hilarious in itself and also because it's preceded and followed by awkward moments.
-I love Anya's spite of Spike. Well, all of their spite. Totally justified. Lay the smack down, Giles!!!
-The actress that plays April just blows me away. She is extremely good at playing a robot, especially with her facial expressions and the way she walks.
-Buffy gets so indignant that Warren left April in her dorm room. Still nursing abandonment issues.
-Katrina wouldn't be able to move that nimbly with a cracked rib...
-So, did Buffy just pick up April and bring her to the magic shop afterwards? Bet she got some weird looks carrying that around...
-And more happy Buffy/Xander stuff. Awwww...
-Hahaha. Love how Glory is put-out by Buffy not wanting to date her/Ben.
-And enter Spike even farther off his rocker.
-And then the sad starts...

Sineya
Poor squishy Xander at the begining lol He did get a nice hug though lol :D
Buffy and Dawn making Joyce twirl around was funny lol :D
I never really understood why nearly everyone got 'mesmerized' by April, OK, she was pretty but she wasn't magical, she didn't have trancy love powers lol :D
Joyce messing with Buffy after her date was funny, reminds me of my mum, she does that! lol :D
I did feel sorry for April when her battery was dying, it was nice of Buffy to sit with her and talk :)
I'm glad Buffy didn't get with Ben, apart from the fact he's Glory, I just don't like him :) lol
The end when Buffy's mum is just lying there, my heart just sinks! and I'm like OMG! :eek:

Black Thorn
I hate the ending for this episode, Joyce is so happy, no headahes, dating and enjoying life and then bang, the ending is such a shock!!

The rest of the episode is good, the whole concept of human nature and wanting what we cant have, money not buying happiness etc. The speech between Buffy/April was so sweet, as a bangel I'm having that Buffy was referring to Angel :)

Black Thorn
I've listened to the commentary by Jane Espenson.

This episode is to show how Buffy views her relationships with men and it starts with Buffy beating up Xander :) Xander blames the hellmouth for relationship problems but Buffy blames herself. At the start Buffy is of the opinion that she needs to find a new man to fix the problems from her previous relationships. She ends up picking Ben, who the audience knows is a bad choice, but she is just desperate to find love.

Its ironic that when the gang find out that Warren has made a robot its only Tara that feels sympathy for him and yet he's the one she kills.

Giles' Ripper moment in the Magic Box with Spike were he tells Spike to ''get over it'' is harsh because Buffy ends up making a liar out of Giles by sleeping with Spike.

The Warren/Buffy talk is a reflection of the Buffy/Riley relationship in that they weren't happy but they didnt tell each other or give them chance to fix it.

At the end Buffy finally connects to someone but they happen to be a robot. She also realises that if you live for one person then they wont love you because they dont get to know you and she doesnt have to do that anymore.

Oh the ending is just too sad. I like how Joyce was happy and looking forward to her date when she died though.
And Spike is just too creepy right now.

I have to say that I don't like that they show Joyce's body at the end of this episode. I mean, I love The Body, it's one of my favourite episodes, but I would much rather they just show that scene at the beginning of the following episode. Part of what I love about The Body is the realism, the fact that Buffy goes through the process of finding the body, calling the emergency services, performing CPR, having the paramedics come out and then delivering the news to her, all in real time. Which makes it feel like you're going through it with her as well.

When she finds the body at the end of this episode, we know she's dead. Even if we haven't seen the following episode yet, you take one look at her and you know that she's dead. That gives us all that time between this episode and the next to process that thought, which makes that whole scene less powerful.

RoxySilver

Fan student
Black Thorn
I haven't seen it in a long time but I like this episode.
First, there are all the funny and cute moments.
The Buffy/Xander scenes are really nice, and I like Anya commenting it and understanding better the humans. It shows how she reflects on who she is now. Even though she is struggling in "The Body", it shows that she's trying to put up with human emotions again. And I love Anya so it's always a pleasure to see her on screen.

I was glad that Buffy called Ben to cancel their date. I'm one of those people who really liked Riley so I didn't want to see Buffy back with someone so quickly. Plus, it didn't work out with Riley because she could'nt handle a real relationship, so it probably wouldn't have worked with Ben either. I mean, fact that he and Glory share their body aside, obviously :)
I was impressed by the actress who plays April. I usually really like those secondary characters. They allow a great reflection on the main characters and this is exactly what we have here.

And then, those Joyce scenes. It makes me smile and breaks my heart at the same time, because I know what's coming then.

And big up for the "pink code"!!! (it's in this episode, right? ;) )

PassionBecoming
PassionBecoming
Riley love!!
AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
[No message]
There's one thing that I never got about this episode.

April was pretty much tossing Buffy around during their fight and Buffy was struggling to keep up with her. Like, she could lift Buffy up and almost choked her to death if it wasn't for her battery. Buffy's never been able to do that - she only did it when she was uber and facing Adam. April also pretty much subdued Spike.

So here's my question: if April was SO good at fighting, why aren't they mass-manufacturing robot slayers? Also, the buffybot was way weaker than April for some reason, but I'm assuming that it's because she was originally a sex toy and not programmed for martial arts like April was (and maybe Willow didn't put as much fighting prowess into her). I mean, they just have to make sure she doesn't run out of batteries, but we're told that she's been going on for days.

white avenger

white avenger
I think what we look at as "Slayer Strength" has been overestimated. Maybe Buffy's as strong or even stronger than most vampires (Remember Luke? "You're strong. I'm stronger.) but that doesn't make her the Whedonverse equivalent of Supergirl. She's powerful, and she's a more than capable street fighter, but we never see her throwing boulders at demons. When she tried to work construction with Xander's crew, she easily lifted a heavy steel beam, but that would only require the equivalent of 3, maybe 4, normally strong men. Impressive, sure, but hardly superhuman. Most likely, if she actually were much stronger than that, her skeletal structure wouldn't be able to support the added strain, anyway.

Buffy is as strong as she needs to be to do her job, which is effectively fighting vampires, who, themselves, are probably only 3 or 4 times as strong, maximum, as a regular human. And that's fine. Neither the Slayer nor her opponents have any reason to be any stronger than that to accomplish their respective regular missions.

April, however, was a machine, with a steel frame, and probably very complex hydraulics and electronics systems used to allow her to move in such a way as to mimic normal human motion. She would have superhuman strength just as a byproduct of her construction. The Buffybot was probably just as strong as April, but Warren, having learned from his mistakes with April, either detuned her system or added governors that would limit her available strength. (Obviously, Willow either didn't know how, or was reluctant, to reset the Buffybot to her optimum strength)

And less we forget Adam, he was a combination of human and demon parts, enhanced with mechanical and electronic components, created by Maggie Walsh to be the ultimate supersoldier, stronger, faster, and more ruthless that any demon, capable of literally tearing a vampire apart with his bare hands.

When she finds the body at the end of this episode, we know she's dead. Even if we haven't seen the following episode yet, you take one look at her and you know that she's dead. That gives us all that time between this episode and the next to process that thought, which makes that whole scene less powerful.
That's a really great point actually. However, I do think it's one of the best cliffhangers in the show. So weighing it up I'd probably keep it. Maybe another way of doing it would be to film Buffy coming in, seeing her mom, and saying the "mom... mom... mommy" thing but never actually showing us what she is seeing, never actually showing us Joyce until the following episode?

I think what we look at as "Slayer Strength" has been overestimated. Maybe Buffy's as strong or even stronger than most vampires (Remember Luke? "You're strong. I'm stronger.) but that doesn't make her the Whedonverse equivalent of Supergirl. She's powerful, and she's a more than capable street fighter, but we never see her throwing boulders at demons. When she tried to work construction with Xander's crew, she easily lifted a heavy steel beam, but that would only require the equivalent of 3, maybe 4, normally strong men. Impressive, sure, but hardly superhuman. Most likely, if she actually were much stronger than that, her skeletal structure wouldn't be able to support the added strain, anyway.

Buffy is as strong as she needs to be to do her job, which is effectively fighting vampires, who, themselves, are probably only 3 or 4 times as strong, maximum, as a regular human. And that's fine. Neither the Slayer nor her opponents have any reason to be any stronger than that to accomplish their respective regular missions.

April, however, was a machine, with a steel frame, and probably very complex hydraulics and electronics systems used to allow her to move in such a way as to mimic normal human motion. She would have superhuman strength just as a byproduct of her construction. The Buffybot was probably just as strong as April, but Warren, having learned from his mistakes with April, either detuned her system or added governors that would limit her available strength. (Obviously, Willow either didn't know how, or was reluctant, to reset the Buffybot to her optimum strength)

And less we forget Adam, he was a combination of human and demon parts, enhanced with mechanical and electronic components, created by Maggie Walsh to be the ultimate supersoldier, stronger, faster, and more ruthless that any demon, capable of literally tearing a vampire apart with his bare hands.
Okay, yeah, but it definitely makes me question the whole slayer mythos of "one girl in ALL the world" to fight the forces of evil thing, when she's outclassed so often. I feel like the reason why the world still exists isn't really because of slayer construction/mythos, but rather sheer luck... if you know what I'm getting at...

white avenger

white avenger
Okay, yeah, but it definitely makes me question the whole slayer mythos of "one girl in ALL the world" to fight the forces of evil thing, when she's outclassed so often. I feel like the reason why the world still exists isn't really because of slayer construction/mythos, but rather sheer luck... if you know what I'm getting at...
Quite possibly the "one girl in all the world" thing was because the Shadow Men created the First Slayer as their own personal bodyguard or, at best, a tribal/regional protector. She was never meant to fight a world wide menace single handedly. It wouldn't be for generations, more likely centuries, before the Watchers would be formally set up as a world wide demon fighting organization, and by then the spell creating the Slayer had been lost. (Remember, Willow was only able to activate all the Potentials by using a Guardian artifact, something that the Watchers never knew existed)

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
There's more to a slayer than just strength, they spend their lives training to fight. Vampires don't, they have a natural instinct, but how many activly train to fight?

Some do, like Angel. I always thought that Spike had had some training (which isn't surprising, since he had a thing for hunting down and killing slayers- that would've a sensible thing to do).

There are some things that just out-power a slayer. Adam (a state of the art creation, a blend of science and demon, one of a kind). Glory (Hell-god, pretty rare). The Beast (one of a kind unstoppable rock demon, but not that smart, was banished by witch-y types). Caleb (right hand of the First, able to be imbued with its power)
These are fairly rare individuals for a slayer to fight, they have to be out-thought, not out-fought. (Ha, I like that. :))

PassionBecoming
PassionBecoming
[No message]
Ethan Reigns
Ethan Reigns
Don't forget Acathla - the rocket launcher was not part of slayer strength.
AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
[No message]
An average filler episode that I enjoy for some good lines and little touches (and that ending!)

Aprilbot
I'm looking for warren, he's my boyfriend

Spike
Well you know what? MY BLOODY SYMPATHIES TO WARREN! Lol

Aprilbot growls

Buffy (to warren)
You made her so she growls?!!!

I like the "winding down" chat and music. It's sweet and sad. How her voice lowers I. Register with every word till she stops mid sentence.

Poor Joyce. What a shocker!

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I'm never really sure I enjoyed the introduction of robots into the Buffyverse, I mean, I like...no, love the Buffybot, but somehow Warren and his abilities never really fit with the rest of the universe.
I mean a couple of years ago we had the Intiative- this state-of the art government instalation and they had nothing on Warren- one guy with college student funds. I just think it stretches believability too far (and, yes I'm aware of how strange that sounds...) but this is a supernatural show, I would've been happy if the writers could've come up with some quasi-mystical explanation for Warren (Technomage?). But whatever, I'm not gonna dwell.

A nice filler episode, kudos to the girl who plays April, pretending to be a robot is quite hard. She gets a lot of the facial tics and mouth movements down really well. And the conversation between her and Buffy draws a nice line under the Buffy/Riley relationship.
(imo- he didn't need to come back)

But, man, that ending- poor Joyce. :(:(

Top Bottom