• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Discussion of 5.15 "I Was Made To Love You" - Aired 2/20/01 (WB-US)

Wild At Heart

the moon lights his way
I may be the only one but I don't really care for the whole sexbot thing. I find her incredibly annoying & Warren is just a pathetic human being. He just disgusts me & he's so weird. I enjoy the scenes with the gang though, there's some funny dialogue. I also love the scenes with Buffy, Joyce & Dawn. My only question is what could that Katrina girl possibly have seen in Warren to even be interested in him BEFORE she found out he was psycho?? I'm sorry but she had to have been desperate!

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Yeah I never really buy that Katrina would be with Warren.

Charmander

Potential
-Buff you have had more than "exactly 2 boyfriends". I know Owen was rubbish, but you still went on enough dates with him. :p And speaking of Owen, she had more chemistry with him than Ben!
-And how selfish is Ben for trying to date Buffy when he knows he'll just morph into Glory at any time? (Hilarious seeing him materialising in the dress though)
-I'm glad that we got to see Joyce happy and herself one last time. And she looks so gorgeous in this episode!
- Since Dawn mentioned Ted, I wonder what happened in that scenario with Dawn around and whether she took his side or not.

Best parts:
Giles: Dear god, Buffy, there's only so much I can take. We're going to have to change the system. A fourteen-year-old's too old to be babysat, and it's not fair on her.
Buffy: (nods, grins) What'd she make you do?
Giles: Um, well, we listened to aggressively cheerful music sung by people chosen for their ability to dance ... then we ate cookie dough and talked about boys.

Joyce: Oh dear.
Buffy: What?
Joyce: I left my bra in his car.
Buffy: Mother!
Joyce: I'm joking.
Buffy: Good god, that's horrible. Don't do that.
Joyce: I left it in the restaurant.

Xander: Too many girls. I miss Oz. He'd get it. He wouldn't say anything, but... (clears throat) he'd get it.

sosa lola

Scooby
S5 Ep15: I Was Made To Love You

Buffy:

12833_600.jpg

Buffy starts this episode being completely horrified, grossed out, and self-loathing due to Spike’s declaration of love. It’s interesting that Buffy is blaming herself for this, some of what she says reflects what her mother said to her in Crush:

Crush:

JOYCE: Honey, did you ... somehow, unintentionally, lead him on in any way? Uh, send him signals?

I Was Made to Love You:

BUFFY: Well, aren't I responsible? I mean, something about me had to make him feel that, right? Something that made him say, "woof, that's the one for me!"

Perhaps this strong reaction from Buffy stems from Joyce and Willow’s horrified reaction in the previous episode – Spike chaining her up and threatening to kill her notwithstanding. Joyce and Willow are the most sympathetic characters toward Spike, hell we had Joyce joking around with Spike in her own kitchen earlier, and to have them freak out over this sends a clear message that neither are okay with Spike being anything more than a source of amusement and that Buffy even considering being with him is unacceptable and bad news.

Interestingly enough the men were far more supportive: Giles flat out tells Buffy that she’s not responsible for what Spike thinks or feels. Xander tells her that the problem isn’t her when she was talking about chasing the good ones away and attracting the bad ones.

Nonetheless, Buffy still believes she’s the sole reason that drove Angel and Riley away (telling Joyce that she shouldn’t take advice about men from her) and that she needs to “improve” in order to impress a guy (laughing at Ben’s jokes and not talking about herself in order not to be “self-involved”).

Buffy succeeds in getting Ben’s phone number, however, spends the whole episode unsure whether she should call him or not.

The reveal about April and the reason behind her existence grosses Buffy out – while her friends can understand and sympathize with Warren in this episode – Buffy can’t bring herself to. She spends the whole episode blaming herself for not being a good enough girlfriend and then there’s this robot girl whose sole existence is to satisfy the man who created her and it’s still not enough. It’s noteworthy how Buffy keeps referring to April as a real person while Warren keeps talking about her batteries. Leaving a robot in his dorm room isn’t exactly a crime – she’s a robot after all – but Buffy takes it personally and throws a jab at him every time he reveals something about April – like when he admitted that if April heard him and didn’t answer it’ll cause a feedback, which angered Buffy.

1000509261001_1086612957001_Bio-Biography-Britney-Spears-LF1.jpg

Interesting fact, the role of April was written for Britney Spears – who also has a song in her early career called “I Was Born to Make You Happy” which fits April’s character perfectly. Seeing as Buffy sees herself in April, it would have been fun with Britney and Buffy looking a bit like each other.

13368_300.jpg

Also this:

13848_600.jpg

Buffy keeps treating April like a real person even after her batteries start dying out, her whole experience with April makes her realize that “men are pigs”
RpS_biggrin.gif
She really doesn’t need a guy to fuss over right now, doesn’t need a guy who will mistreat her, doesn’t need a guy to define her and to be happy. She can just be happy getting to know herself.

13261_600.jpg

Buffy’s view on men has gone south, thanks to Warren. “Couple of guys getting it right” are Xander, her support system this episode, and Brian, the gentleman her mom is dating.

Then of course, her good day ends with this:

joyce.jpg

Xander:

buffy-xander-into-the-woods.jpg

Into the Woods shows Xander challenging Buffy about her true feelings when it comes to Riley. He points out that Buffy have been treating Riley like a rebound and that she shut down because she was burned with Angel. He gave her the choice: If you don’t love him, let him leave. If you love him, stop him from leaving. It’s no brainer that Xander was clearly rooting for Buffy and Riley to make up and stay together. Xander wasn’t aware at that time that his speech had a negative effect on Buffy: she started blaming herself for Riley leaving.

6227_800.jpg

Triangle shows Xander and Anya in bed after sex discussing Buffy’s break up with Riley. Anya started blaming Buffy for the break up and I think that moment awakened Xander’s sense of guilt. He defended Buffy, emphasizing that he was more worried about how she was taking the break up. He didn’t think Buffy was at fault and hoped she didn’t see it that way.

6674_800.jpg

I Was Made to Love You: too late. Buffy was ranting about how dirty she was, about how she chases men away, about whatever that is wrong with her and why she can’t keep a man. Xander reassures her there’s nothing wrong with her.

“Don’t do this to yourself. Please.” Xander was the reason she felt this way. ‘Cause at first her anger was directed at Riley but then Xander opened her eyes at the possibility that she didn’t treat Riley right herself.

Xander does a good job making Buffy feel better and directing the blame to the Hellmouth instead. He does his best throughout the episode to be the greatest best friend: dancing with Buffy at the party and later complimenting her and supporting her decision about not needing to date at the moment.

While Buffy’s luck in the romance department is at a rotten point, Xander on the other hand is doing so well. He’s grown fond of Anya and admits to liking her quirks and the way she speaks. That can be attributed to his newfound confidence which he acquired after The Replacement: new shiny job with new shiny promotion with new shiny apartment and of course the shiny girlfriend!

Among all the Scoobies, Xander was an adult! In the literal sense of the word. He even comments on it twice in the episode: the adult who sees life through his job and turning into a person Buffy would want after a crazy attack to fix what’s broken – which is Xander’s calling on the show in the physical and emotional sense.

He even looks so damn proud and happy with himself it’s so refreshing after seasons of insecurities and self-loathing. Even Buffy looks impressed.

At that moment in the show, Xander’s character is done – something Joss had stated – he was fully baked and ready to be served. It’s understandable why Joss thought of making Xander Glory’s other half. At that point there were no stories left to tell about Xander – which IMO is completely unimaginative and wrong, but I understand when a writer gets tired with a character.

Anya:

Anya was also in a very good place in her life. She was growing into her own, not just with the Magic Box, but also the stocks. She’s incredibly smart and the characters will realize that in The Gift, when Xander will state his attraction to smart chicks.

Speaking of Xander, his declaration of love made Anya more confident and trusting. During S4, she had to remind Xander’s female friends that Xander is hers and that they can’t have him. Right now, she’s suggesting her dances with Buffy and isn’t bothered with his flirty comments about April.

Outside of Xander, Anya seemed to have taken into interacting with other people and forming new relationships: Giles and Tara. Anya and Tara appear to be buddies outside the Scooby Gang – if I’m not mistaken, Tara is Anya’s bride’s maid, right?

Willow and Tara:

Tara’s jealousy when Willow compliments April was so comical compared with Anya’s zen attitude.

TARA: Willow's good at all that computer stuff, but me not so much.

It was refreshing seeing Willow work with computers again.

Willow’s reaction to Xander mentioning Oz read more uncomfortable than sad.

Also,

tumblr_lisdcjOh3K1qgmt5yo1_500.jpg

I don't think Oz would really get the joke. However, I think Jesse would have.

Spike:

Spike doesn’t give up, now does he? He’s been told constantly by Buffy to leave him alone, leave town, take a hike, never show his face to her, her family and friends ever again, hell, she even de-invited him from her house. He just can’t take a hint. He’s still in his early stages of development, doesn’t get boundaries, what he wants he gets.

Not only does he keep stalking Buffy, but he’s completely rude to her. He’s the exact definition of the KG boy who punches the girl he likes.

“Get away from me,” Buffy says pointedly.

Spike stares at her. She’s dead serious. She can’t stand him. She wants him gone. He finally respects her wishes and leaves. But, not for long, he’s jealous of Ben, and he naively wants to make Buffy jealous, but gets thrown out of the window by April after whispering inappropriate innuendos in her ear.

Spike doesn’t give up, though. If he can’t get to Buffy through Buffy. Then there’s the Scooby Gang!

Backfires badly. Everybody expresses resentment toward Spike. Even Dawn grits out that he should stay away from her. Giles especially goes all Ripper on him and demands he “clears out of here” and get over his obsession with Buffy.

Spike tries to act tough throughout the scene with Giles but fails miserably – getting rejected from every Scooby member and specially Buffy has to sting hard. Especially since he humiliated and deserted Dru and Harmony in the previous episode. He has no one in his life right now. I feel that part of him did want to belong to the Scoobies in the Magic Box scene, it was like he desperately wanted to walk in (run in more like) on a research party and perhaps beat up a new big bad and prove his loyalty. And maybe, maybe if Buffy saw how good he was, she’d actually want to be with him.

But all efforts fail. He’s not wanted. Not by the Scoobies nor Buffy. He’d driven away every person who did actually want him and now he’s alone. So, what does he do about it? Ask Warren to make him a companion who loves him, of course, she’ll have to look exactly like Buffy.

Giles:

It’s noteworthy to say that Giles is one of the very few characters who never judges Buffy on who she’s attracted to or sleeps with. Here he rightfully tells her that she’s not at fault for how Spike feels or thinks about her.

Seeing how freaked out Buffy is about Spike does disturb Giles and plays a role in how he reacts to Spike’s presence in the Magic Box. It brought out the protective father figure in him.

Dawn:

Dawn mentions Ted, which makes you wonder what’s her role in the episode is. Was Ted nice to her or expressed the same hostility he had for Buffy to her?

Warren:

A 20 year old young man building a perfect robot like April – Warren is a genius and it’s so sad that a talented kid like him wasn’t discovered or given opportunities to use those talents for the benefits of people. Instead, he was treated like a nerdy loser all his life and it shaped the man he became.

On the whole sex-bot issue, I honestly don’t see any harm in it. I wouldn’t go for it personally, ‘cause it’s weird as hell, no matter how lonely I get a robot isn’t like a real person and the show makes it clear with how Warren got bored with April and wanted someone who challenges him and isn’t predictable. However, unlike the Buffybot, April doesn’t resemble any existing girl. She’s designed to look like Warren’s fantasy girl.

The mistake Warren had committed was leaving April at his dorm room and running away. Why didn’t he just take out her batteries? Now that he met Katrina, he could have just gotten rid of April. But in that department, he’s a stupid little idiot.

That concludes my humble review. Hope you enjoyed it.
RpS_smile.gif

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Really good review! Some great points.

cryptwarmer

I'm in charge of morale!
Black Thorn
I disagree that Warren was treated like a nerd loser all his life. He wasn't. He was an engineering genius, in school for it, and fell in love with and had a relationship with an intelligent beautiful strong woman, Katrina.

Warren is a troubled psychopath who thinks he is better than everyone around him, has huge ego and anger issues and no moral compass. He creates a woman who will treat him the way he sees himself, and then is shocked when he finds out that he prefers an actual woman who challenges him. Yet when she stops loving him, he decides to make a robot of her anyway, by controlling her.

He recruits Andrew and Jonathan, nerd losers who will do whatever he says because he promises them power and riches he never intends to share with them. They aren't his friends or peers, they are his lackeys and he never saw them as anything but below him. Sure he likes Star Wars etc, but that doesn't place him in nerd/loser class at all.

He knows he is basically a genius, and consistently uses that and the adoration of his nerd lackeys, to his own benefit. His reaction and words to Dark Willow show how he still thinks he has power and is untouchable. He still things his inventions will save him and it's only at the end when it's totally clear that she has him that he begins to cave to actual fear. And even then, he thinks he is smart enough to talk her out of actually hurting him. He believes he can take advantage of other people's weaknesses to cash in, the way he did successfully with Andrew and Jonathan, but alas...it doesn't work. Go Willow!

Warren getting flayed is one of my favorite scenes.

I think a lot of Buffy's blaming herself when men left was leftover daddy issues. She believed (and maybe rightly so) that her father left because of her. Because he couldn't handle who she was, what she was and the problems that came with it. That there was something inherently weird, unlovable and off putting about her.

Her situation with Angel magnified that.

Maybe one of the reasons she showed shock and confusion when Dawn told her Spike was in love with her is that Spike ALWAYS wanted to be with her, clearly he must have no actual interest in her other than wanting her dead. Guys that professed to like/love her always took off. Only the bad guys who hated her stuck around.

She saw him as an annoying fly, not a potential suitor. The idea of a man hanging around because they actually cared for her did not compute.

Spike always wanted to be loved, liked etc. He got off on getting people's attention and then putting them down. His psychological baggage was being put down by people he cared about and wanted approval from, so he would try to get people in situations where HE could be the one who put them in their place before they could reject him.

He got off on being stronger, badder, cooler etc and pointing out to others how less than he they were. Buffy was a challenge because she knew she was better, and he knew she was better. Gaining her respect on ANY level was something he felt compelled to do at any cost. When Dawn told him Buffy was afraid of him, that was music to his ears, as welcome as if Dawn had said Buffy loved him. He wanted to be in a position of emotional power.

Over time, his feelings for Buffy actually grew where he had enough respect for her that he didn't want to overpower her, her love and acceptance could heal some of his emotional baggage about never being good enough, or worthy enough to be loved. When he couldn't get that, he turned ugly and enraged. But he was transformed...at least where Buffy was concerned, to really just wanting her respect and trust. He was still the same old ballsy Spike trying to get a position of power over others and getting off distaining them. He didn't value or care about any other person's approval except Buffy's (and Joyce's to some degree)

Essentially Spike comes to the same conclusion Warren does, even down to creating a bot. That what he thought he wanted in a woman...sex and constant approval, wasn't actually what they wanted. They wanted sex, love and approval that was given freely, and a woman who actually found them worthy.

They both sought to control those women when they didn't get what they longed for. Warren never came around, Spike went and got a soul and became a better man who realized that being a better man is the way to live with himself and others, not controlling everyone around him.

S
sosa lola
Great thoughts!

sosa lola

Scooby
I disagree that Warren was treated like a nerd loser all his life.

BUFFY: They're not talking to you, you're not gettin' dates ... you start thinking, "hey, this isn't fair."
WARREN: Yeah, I mean, I felt like I deserved to have someone. You know, I mean, everyone deserves to have someone.
BUFFY: So naturally you turned to manufacturing.
WARREN: Kinda.
BUFFY: And how long did it take to build yourself that little toy?
WARREN: Oh, no, she's not a toy. I mean, I know what you're thinking, but she's more than that.
BUFFY: I'm sure she has many exciting labor-saving attachments.
WARREN: No, I made her to love me.

It's safe to say that Warren never dated all his life. Also him saying "I made her to love me" can be read as him never receiving love and respect while growing up. He didn't make a sex toy, he made a girlfriend and a companion. Now a companion who praises your perfection every second will get boring and he realized that after he met Katrina - an interesting woman with ideas of her own and everything with her is unpredictable.

I do agree that Warren will become a very problematic character, but it has to start somewhere.

cryptwarmer

I'm in charge of morale!
Black Thorn
It's safe to say that Warren never dated all his life. Also him saying "I made her to love me" can be read as him never receiving love and respect while growing up. He didn't make a sex toy, he made a girlfriend and a companion. Now a companion who praises your perfection every second will get boring and he realized that after he met Katrina - an interesting woman with ideas of her own and everything with her is unpredictable.

I do agree that Warren will become a very problematic character, but it has to start somewhere.

I think it does have to start somewhere, but I don't think it necessarily started with him not being able to get a girlfriend in high school.

I got the feeling him parents cared for him, and even people who have dated can decide that they aren't getting what they want or deserve from a partner. If Katrina was his first girlfriend, go Warren! you hit the jack pot.

Some people are psychopath megalomaniacs and play that out even when they are getting laid on a regular basis. Some people are born that way. Could be a mental disorder. I guess I just don't see Warren's behavior as typical can't get a date, nerd behavior. There was something much bigger going on and I don't think getting the love and approval of a nice girl was going to fix that.

vellavu

Scooby
Black Thorn
Are there anyone besides me who had the thoughts of "I guess Buffy/Xander would be the endgame" when watching it for the first time?

sosa lola

Scooby
Are there anyone besides me who had the thoughts of "I guess Buffy/Xander would be the endgame" when watching it for the first time?

I'm a fan of S7 Buffy/Xander to be honest.

If Katrina was his first girlfriend, go Warren! you hit the jack pot.

I think she was because once he knew her, he didn't need April anymore. I don't really know about his parents - he used to live in his mother's house in S5? Maybe they're separated?

cryptwarmer

I'm in charge of morale!
Black Thorn
I think she was because once he knew her, he didn't need April anymore. I don't really know about his parents - he used to live in his mother's house in S5? Maybe they're separated?

A lot of this is speculation on my part, some of it based on things I learned from my sister. She's a psychiatrist and worked for a number of years in a maximum security prison for the criminally insane. There are people driven to that type of behavior due to abuse, torture, trauma etc, and then there are those who are born "wrong", with no moral compass or care for others. They always feel different and resent the world, even though they have what most people would consider a normal healthy upbringing.

That's what is in my mind when I see Warren. Some chip against society, against good guys in spite of the fact that he was born in a decent place, looked to be at least middle class, but I'm guessing upper middle class. Had a very good education but was always just "off".

On the other hand, he could be just a revenge of the nerds sort of guy, but he didn't come across that way to me.

Obviously this is all speculation on my part as we're given very little information. It's interesting to see how different people interpret and flesh out the bones they throw us.

sosa lola

Scooby
I don't know if Warren is born wrong. I do see it as a revenge of the nerds - nerds, especially back in the day tend to be mistreated in school by the jocks and popular kids, which inspired some superhero comic books and movies where the nerdy kid gets to be the hero and get the girl eventually.

I really need to rewatch S6 to understand Warren more. I'm doing this rewatch in another forum, and right now we have reached The Body.

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
Buffy, of course Spike wants you, you are attractive :)

Why were you punching Xander ??? o_O

Buffy, just be Buffy :)

Xander is right, a hellmouth is a horrible place to build anything...

Joyce, you look great :D

Joyce is having memory problems, I would worry...

4:24 is a random time...

Tara, 16 years later and the internet is still a depressing place where people can't spell :(

Anya let them dance together ? That's nice :)

Ben :eek:

Anya clearly has a lot to learn...

Warren :eek:

The girl must be a robot...

Spike :eek:

Spike is right, it's a free country, and him living in Sunnydale isn't harming anyone :)

Ben+Coffee=Boffe :p

She's stronger than Buffy :eek:

Tara has a good intuition sense, she knows things in seconds that others don't thanks to her instincts :)

Giles, that sounds interesting ;)

Joyce :eek:

Tara, swearing doesn't look good on you...

Xander... :rolleyes:

Xander, I miss Oz too :(

Warren, wrong timing...

Spike, your security blanket isn't working that well...

Giles, love doesn't make sense...

Looks like even robots get tired...

Warren, that's why we don't make robot girlfriends...

April :mad:

April, do as Buffy and Warren say...

April isn't taking it well...

Buffy has a point, crying sometimes helps :oops:

April has died for now...

Yes Buffy, shim is a real word...

Buffy, are you implying that April the robot died of a broken heart ??? after 2016, I believe her batteries died from it.

Warren, make Spike a girl...

Buffy, I think that Joyce is dead :(

Next time: Let's see how everyone is dealing with Joyce's death :(

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
S5 re watch and I've been dreading coming to this part cause of the ending
This episode was okay.
Ugh but we get introduced to the most disgusting character in the buffyverse warren.
I hate how everyone treats Spike. So wrong.
The ending is such a shocker. Joyce :(

Mr Trick

Scooby
I may be the only one but I don't really care for the whole sexbot thing. I find her incredibly annoying & Warren is just a pathetic human being. He just disgusts me & he's so weird. I enjoy the scenes with the gang though, there's some funny dialogue. I also love the scenes with Buffy, Joyce & Dawn. My only question is what could that Katrina girl possibly have seen in Warren to even be interested in him BEFORE she found out he was psycho?? I'm sorry but she had to have been desperate!

This is fair and probably my main issue with the episode. I guess maybe she might have met Warren when she was young and in college and we may have seen a more likable guy, but yeah it's still a bit weak IMO. I think they just wanted a reason for Warren to dump the robot. But they could've come up with something a bit better.

I enjoy this one enough but its not a standout to me.

Oromous

Socially Awkward
Sineya
Yeah, Xander's speech at the beginning feels kinda weird in that he did a 180 from what he said in "Into the Woods", where he blamed Buffy for being the reason Riley cheated on her. I don't get him sometimes. I mean, while I agree with some of his points in "Into the Woods" about the reasons why Riley felt inadequate, sosa lola was right about how Xander was the one who inadvertently gaslighted Buffy into questioning her own judgment in men in the first place, something which I think is a bit unfair to Buffy. Angel left because of his curse; Parker was a douche from the start; and Riley shouldn't have cheated! None of the reasons for any of Buffy's exes leaving were her fault! And now he's the one who tells Buffy to believe in herself and just be herself? Get out of here! I'm sorry, Xander, I know you're trying to help, but you're the last person I want to hear that from.

I love Tara's "Oh no you didn't!" look at Willow after she praised April's good looks. I think this is the first time I see Tara get genuinely angry. In fact, Tara's a lot more fleshed out in this episode with her surprising, as she put it, "spicy talk." lol

The episode really puts a new spin on Weird Science, that '80s movie about a bunch of kids creating a sexbot as well. At least it had a good theme song:
"From my heart and from my head, why don't people understand... my intentions!" Catchy.

In truth though, this whole sexbot theme would've probably been more relevant in Japan. Did America even have sexbots or virtual girlfriends in the '90s? Whereas in Japan, many teenagers even today prefer AI girlfriends on their phones than real life girlfriends because they feel dating is "too much trouble," partially leading to the decline in birthrate and overall population. Heck, there's even a "robot wife" whom some Japanese are married to! I honestly wish I'm joking.

But man, I do feel for Buffy here in this episode, and maybe not just her but all the characters who felt inadequate without someone else to fill that void; Riley, Spike, Dru, Darla, and maybe even Angel to some extent. I remember (vaguely) something that Passion of the Nerd said about this in one of his Buffy S5 videos, how it's not possible to expect another person to make you whole; the relationship will end up emotionally draining for both parties, as exemplified by Briley and Sparmony. There needs to be that "self" first, a love for your own self that doesn't tread into narcissist territory but in a self-confident manner where you understand your own qualities and what kind of joy and happiness you could bring to another person's life and vice versa, much like Bangel where Angel knows when to back off and when to step in (or Willoz and Twillow for that matter). Love is a two-way street.

I really love how Giles protects Buffy against Spike, even if I feel a tad sorry for Spikey. But as sosa said, Giles has taken on the protective surrogate father figure for the Buffster, so it makes sense that he's so furious about someone who's driving her nuts, not to mention stalking her, tasing her, kidnapping her and chaining her to a wall. Without the proper context, it would be easy to get agitated about Spike. Plus, Jenny is probably still on his mind, even if she was murdered by a totally different vampire.

I like how April ended up in this episode, how Buffy talks to her as if she's speaking to herself, or perhaps saying words that she wish Riley would've said to her before leaving, saying how she felt like she has given every part of her soul and all her love to Riley, only to end up getting hurt like April here.

And boy, that foreshadowing... yikes. "Darkest before dawn," huh? No kidding. Next episode changes everything.

thrasherpix

Scooby
Japan is ignoring a large market to their detriment (or maybe because it's dominated by men deeply disturbed by the idea) if they don't think females wouldn't appreciate robot sex toys as well. There was (is?) some movement there of Japanese girls opting out of "serious commitment" because it's too much trouble (for a variety of reasons, including what sounds like a uniquely Japanese one--at least on a mass scale) and even had a button to identify themselves out of defiance of their elders trying to shame them into marriage and children.

And plenty of older Japanese women there have said when their husband died they felt liberated, like an obligation over and done with, and sometimes sought out no strings attached sex as a widower without a desire to remarry. Sex toys have always been more popular among women (I'm not including live human trafficking for this), and in many places (including many places in the US where it was easier to get a bunch of guns than more than a couple of sex toys), it's cracked down on, which might explain why Japan is slow to expand their market (but surely greed will win out in the end).

Though it did amuse me that some Japanese politicians sought the endorsement of a popular vocaloid (the decision entirely in the hands of the vocaloid creators, not the actual vocaloid who didn't have a say, and presumably has no awareness of the surreal sitch she was in). I'd love to hear a detailed explanation by someone Japanese on the nature of kami and souls, and what that means for robots, vocaloids, and also humanity itself.

And until robots are self-aware then that's all they are, toys (even April able to mimic such emotions, which isn't yet in our ability, at least not on the market). Toys can't say "I do" in any meaningful sense, nor do they inherit property (which they're then responsible for paying the bills and taxes for), and I could go on. And I'd find other ways than a robot to make health decisions for me when I'm in a coma given how such programming could be subverted and hacked by others when I couldn't speak up for myself. (And no way would I allow a robot to be wireless. That, in a world that already has hackers so sick as to hack baby monitors to shriek obscenities at babies, is just begging for trouble, as well as a host of criminal activities, from stealing essential information and schedules to murder...possibly even murder that doesn't look like murder.)

(I'm aware of the robot given Saudi citizenship, which I consider a dubious honor for a female robot, and likely just an honorary position...but curious if that robot can now own property, pay taxes, and have all the rights and obligations of other Saudi women.)

But I'll stick to where Joss Whedon could've gone with this. Given that incredibly lifelike robots are made by multiple people (don't want to spoil it so I'll just say one was even fooled to think a robot was his own father, among other things to soon happen that I could mention), that opens up the possibility of a Stepford Wives sitch ('course murder is still illegal...). Or husbands (Ted almost qualified for this, until the "design flaw" became apparent.) Due to "revenge porn" and the like some people are already starting to copyright their own appearances, a trend I expect will continue as it's easier to fake footage and as robots become more lifelike (and something Wolfram & Hart would want to fight on behalf of their clients making these "replacements").

One married to a robot could be visited by that robot in prison, which opens up a can of worms, though a more diabolical use would be to have a robotic copy of one's self do the time for you (can you imagine if Warren went to prison only to find out it's a robot?). (Speaking of which, I find it scarcely unbelievable that Warren didn't think to build a Terminator, at least a close proximity of it, particularly when the Buffybot wasn't that bad at fighting demons. For that matter, the others should've been able to create magical constructs like golems.)

With the aid of a little magic to get at passcodes and intimate information, they could potentially steal from places like the Initiative (since their pseudo-AI was much more complex than is currently thought available). They wouldn't even have to disappear someone for very long to record retinal patterns to put into their androids.

Luckily, human life is cheaper and easier to replace than robots. As long as that's the case, we're not in danger of replacement (though celebrities will have to deal with dolls and robots and photoshopped and other unauthorized images of them). But the moment we become less cost effective than robots then global overpopulation will no longer be a problem (though that would suck for vampires unless they can learn to live off of hydraulic fluid). Which sounds like something Wolfram & Hart (who aren't restricted to operating by capitalism given how they operated fine without it in Pylea) might want to work on...

Last edited:
Top Bottom