• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 5.18 "Intervention" - Aired 4/24/01 (WB-US)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Buffy and Giles leave for the desert on a vision quest in an attempt to find a way to fight Glory. While they are gone, Spike decides to have a little fun with his BuffyBot but the gang mistakes it for the real Buffy and think that she has gone crazy. Meanwhile, Glory's minions also mistake the BuffyBot for the Slayer and, noticing its devotion to Spike, begin to suspect that he is the Key.
Source: TV.com

Discuss this episode here!

StarSlayer

Defender of Spuffy
One of my favorite episodes. SMG is hilarious as the Buffybot, the episode is pivotal with the "Death is your gift" message, and the last scene is one of my favorite Spuffy moments :)

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
I, too, really like this episode. Spike is great here, both the antics with the Buffybot (love the scene in the cemetary where she's trying to cuddle up to him in front of Xander & Anya), and with Glory. His actions were really noble.

I do not understand at all why her friends couldn't tell the Buffybot apart from the real Buffy. They were all able to tell pretty quickly with Warren's girlfriendbot. And that happened just a few episodes ago!

I ROFL at the Hokey Pokey every time I see it! I always love seeing Buffy as the girl-Slayer she was with Giles in the 1st couple of seasons.

And my favorite quote is Buffy: "The ... who whating how with huh?"

2nd favorite is Spike: "Mark my words, the Slayer ... is going to kick your skanky, lopsided ass back to whatever place would take a cheap, whorish, fashion victim ex-god like you."

Another funny one from the Buffy as the Buffybot: "Spike! You're covered in sexy wounds"

And I love the touching Spuffy scene at the end: "What you did, for me, and Dawn ... that was real. I won't forget it."

Chosen Enemy

Losing my soul
My 2 favorite thing from this episode are:
The whole "Willow's gay" remarks (like "Willow fixed me. She's gay")
And the ending scene. Aw, Spuffy! That was amazing. And poor Spike doesn't even have the strength to jump up and down after Buffy kisses him. And Buffy/Buffybot is right. Even his wounds are sexy!

It's one of my favorite episodes ever! Love Buffybot!!

xaphania

Spike/Buffy
As we're talking about favourite lines from this episode, I love:

"Angel's lame. His hair sticks straight up and he's bloody stupid."

The Bot speaks the truth. :D

VisionGirl
VisionGirl
Well, I was kind of ignoring that one LOL, but it is hilarious!

FetalPig

Poltergasm
this moment struck me this watch:

BUFFY: I love you ... really love you.
DAWN: .. Gettin' weird.
BUFFY: Sorry. But it's important that I tell you. Weird love's better than no love.
cut to Spike

there are a couple of levels to that I tink

So many great Buffybot lines but my favourite unmentioned so far ones are
"Anya! How is your money!?"
"I could make sketches!"
and ..
"Yes, Spike is Evil. But you should see him naked. I mean really"

classics one and all.

Litheran

Rebel without a pulse
I swear I'm not having a laugh; but SMG was perfect as a robot. The scene with her and Spike on the floor was played spot on by both of them. I always get sad watching it though because Spike craves love and acceptance; yet for the moment he can only find it through an avatar of Buffy.

"...I wont forget it."

Turning point for Spike here; where he can start to understand that being good means living by the standard of WWBD? In season five that means he's able to be good for goodness sake. In season six it means he's hurtful and spiteful.

I thought this was a really great and funny episode, and touching at the end with Buffy and Spike. But I think my favorite part of the whole thing is when Buffybot first sees the real Buffy and says "Hey, you look just like me! We're very pretty." Just the way she delivers that last part makes me laugh everytime. :D

Oh, also "we will bring you Bob Barker!"

K
kittenpoker
yeah those were awesome!

Pik

Buffy Fan Dude
Here's something I found interesting about this episode. Nicholas Brendon was sick during the filming of this episode, so they pulled and Olsen Twins and had his twin brother Kelly Donovan play Xander in a couple of scenes. Anyone catch the difference?

Gum Gnome33
Gum Gnome33
I knew this too but couldn't see the difference
Wild At Heart
Wild At Heart
Wow I didn't know that & couldn't tell lol
Fuffy Baith
Fuffy Baith
Nicholas Brendon delivers the lines, but his brther fills in when he's in the background. Same as The Replacement.
Sineya
I just gotta say omg, the Buffybot is just soooo funny and weird! lol and played really well by SMG :D It is quite wrong and offensive of the Scoobies to not know the difference between her and a robot though! lol

Love Giles' little ritual in the desert lol :D

BUFFY
So, how does it start?

GILES
(embarrassed)
I… jump out of the circle, jump
back in, and, and, shake my gourd.

BUFFY
Hey, I think I know this ritual. The
ancient shamans were next called upon
to do the Hokey-Pokey and to turn
themselves around-

GILES
Go. Quest.

Buffy doesn't move. Giles jumps out of the circle. Jumps back in and shakes his gourd. It rattles. Buffy tries to look serious.

BUFFY
And that's what it's all about.

LOL! :D
Buffy's animal guide is beautiful! :)
I'm all for Bangel but it was quite sweet of Buffy to kiss Spike at the end :)

K
kittenpoker
I love those moments!
Black Thorn
I love the fact that the gang couldnt tell that she was the Buffybot and that Xander even thought it was the same thing that happened to him :)

I actually really liked Spike in this episode! He was so couragous, even more so because he has not soul. The end scene between him and Buffy was very heartfelt and the look on his face when he realises its her and not the Buffybot is so sweet!

AnthonyCordova

Apocalypse Engine
Sineya
I'm just going to stop speculating about Spike. Maybe he really can be good despite being a vampire. I'm just so confused about him. I thought vampires didn't have souls. He's acting like he has one. I don't understand.

The last scene was really touching. I like and respect Spike so much more, especially because he's a soulless vampire who is fighting against his baser nature.

Does spikes obsession and creepy robot buffy not make anyone else feel ill? just, urgh, vile.
Nah, not really because imo it's obvious that it's being played for laughs. The only really serious element is the whole 'death is your gift' forewarning.

M

mudslides

In previous watches of the whole of Buffy, Ive found spike funny and whatever, but this time the whole way through Im just.... totally grossed out :/ This MAY in part be due to just forcing myself through reading twilight (urgh) and seeing parallels between stalky vampires....

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
In previous watches of the whole of Buffy, Ive found spike funny and whatever, but this time the whole way through Im just.... totally grossed out :/ This MAY in part be due to just forcing myself through reading twilight (urgh) and seeing parallels between stalky vampires....
Absolutely- ths is where Spike goes from creepy to just sad imo, ever since 'Crush' I've wondered why the characters didn't just stake him and be done with it.

But at least here Spike proves that his devotion, however twisted, is heartfelt and genuine.

And I a big fan of the Buffy-Bot. (SMG's performance is perfect here- she's so perky/bimbo-like.) :)

5.20 "Spiral" question!

I have a really random question lol... In season 5, ep. 20 of Buffy, Willow uses a spell after running from the knights in order to make the phone work... she says "discharge and bring life"... My question is, what does that even mean? What's being discharged, Willow's energy or some form of latent electrical circuit within the phone in the booth? Lol I know it seems like an odd question but it's actually important to me.