• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Discussion of 5.18 "Intervention" - Aired 4/24/01 (WB-US)

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Spike would've had to write down the information about the scoobies for Warren to program into the Buffybot, which suggests that maybe what's on screen is all that Spike know for sure about the scoobies. The scoobies aren't the most friendly towards him and vice versa so it's possible that Spike doesn't know the scoobies well enough to give a more detailed analysis. His dislike for Angel shows through though.

TriBel

Scooby
I thought the Bot was meant to be uncanny. I don't mean weird - I mean uncanny in the Freudian sense of unheimlich. As a device she exists to make the familiar strange. The Bot is a construct - made by Warren to Spike's blueprint (and told to be) just as The Slayer was made by Watchers under instruction from the Council and just as women have been constructed by patriarchy according to some mythic notion of the Eternal Feminine. As de Beauvoir wrote "One is not born, but rather becomes, a woman". It's telling that Spike makes his perfect woman who is easy to love, while in the Prologue she says to Giles (who is also telling her how to "be": "Maybe being the perfect Slayer means being too hard to love at all" It's not that Spike's made a thing of her that's gross - it's the fact that she's becoming a thing - losing her ability to feel that unconsciously disturbs her. "I'm starting to feel like ... being the Slayer is turning me into stone". From this perspective, it makes sense the Scoobies don't recognise her - she's becoming something other to what she was before. Perhaps it's why Tara's empathic skills don't work - because gradually the real Buffy is becoming less than "human".

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
Re watched & still my absolute fave episode of the season.
The Bot was super funny! Lol I liked her but I prefer the real Buffy ;)
Buffy and Giles in the desert was fun. And now I understand what the First Slayer is getting at which I didn't the first time. Death is your Gift like Buffy's death in "The Gift" and obviously Buffy rejecting love means she's scared to get too close which eventually Spike breaks that barrier.
Everyone's reactions to the Bot is so funny lol! T
Spike shines this episode. I love how he gets beaten up but never exposes Dawn because of his love for Buffy!
Buffy truly cared for Spike and that kiss was a beautiful and sweet moment

Out for a walk

5 Words Or Less...
Love this episode! My favorite parts were the things that Spike programmed for Buffy Bot. The Willow being gay from 1999-present...not bothering to have Giles name pronounced correctly and the folder for pleasing Spike which included "positions" haha.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Another wonderful SMG performance balancing so much as both the Buffybot and as the real Buffy.

Its a very entertaining episode, packed with awesome lines!

Plus a great Spike episode. I like that we see both the worst and best of him. The speech Buffy gives to him at the end is beautiful. I like the drama this sets up moving forward too. Watching it at the time it must have left the mind rushing just what Spike's future role would be and his relationship to Buffy?

Btvs fan

Scooby
Another wonderful SMG performance balancing so much as both the Buffybot and as the real Buffy.

Its a very entertaining episode, packed with awesome lines!

Plus a great Spike episode. I like that we see both the worst and best of him. The speech Buffy gives to him at the end is beautiful. I like the drama this sets up moving forward too. Watching it at the time it must have left the mind rushing just what Spike's future role would be and his relationship to Buffy?

I love this episode and SMG as the perky Buffybot is hilarious.
I also notice that the gang trusted the Buffybot to give her a weapon :D

Love the Buffy/Buffybot exchange
"Listen Skirt girl we aren't going to save him, we are going to kill him"
"You're right he is evil but you should seem him naked" Buffys face 😂😂

I don't think I'm wrong in saying that Spuffy's love the ending. I mean Buffy could've/should've thanked Spike for not revealing Dawn. That's perfectly ok. Yet she chose to kiss him and not even on the Forehead/cheek Ala Faith but on the lips. She's not stupid, she did that because she wanted too.

Mr Trick

Scooby
I love this episode and SMG as the perky Buffybot is hilarious.
I also notice that the gang trusted the Buffybot to give her a weapon :D

Love the Buffy/Buffybot exchange
"Listen Skirt girl we aren't going to save him, we are going to kill him"
"You're right he is evil but you should seem him naked" Buffys face 😂😂

I don't think I'm wrong in saying that Spuffy's love the ending. I mean Buffy could've/should've thanked Spike for not revealing Dawn. That's perfectly ok. Yet she chose to kiss him and not even on the Forehead/cheek Ala Faith but on the lips. She's not stupid, she did that because she wanted too.

That's an interesting choice. Its partly done for drama (certainly would have fooled the audience at time). But I think there could be something to Buffy starting to have feelings for Spike at the time.

Btvs fan

Scooby
That's an interesting choice. Its partly done for drama (certainly would have fooled the audience at time). But I think there could be something to Buffy starting to have feelings for Spike at the time.

I think she defo had feelings for Spike but that was probably the first time, she felt she could act on them. I mean I'm sure she's thought he was hot before but theres a difference between thinking something and acting on it.

Lol though I do wonder, what would she have done after she asked him if he wanted to ravish her and Spike had said yes. Would she have just played along until she got her anwser 🤔💃

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Interesting question. I think Buffy might have drawn the line at that.

Trepkos

Townie
One of my favourite episodes. The ritual in the desert - "and then they did the hokey pokey and turned themselves around" ... ! Spike's interaction with Glory is priceless - I love the way she checks everything he criticises! And when he is falling down the lift shaft, I feel every thud. I think if he'd said 'yes' to the ravishing, she'd have given him a look, and gone away, disappointed.

GraceK

Grr Arrg
What gets overlooked a lot in this episode is Xander’s reaction to Spike. He’s the one who points out to Buffy just how beaten up Spike is at the end and is the catalyst for Buffy going to Spike dressed as the Buffybot. He’s the first one to show genuine compassion and sympathy for Spike and I think it’s really something considering just how much Xander loathes and hates him. It’s a really a good insight IMO to what type of person Xander is and just how perceptive he actually is. It’s another reason I’m a a staunch Xander defender and always will be. At his core he’s a good person and it tends to get overlooked by his character flaws.

Mr Trick

Scooby
What gets overlooked a lot in this episode is Xander’s reaction to Spike. He’s the one who points out to Buffy just how beaten up Spike is at the end and is the catalyst for Buffy going to Spike dressed as the Buffybot. He’s the first one to show genuine compassion and sympathy for Spike and I think it’s really something considering just how much Xander loathes and hates him. It’s a really a good insight IMO to what type of person Xander is and just how perceptive he actually is. It’s another reason I’m a a staunch Xander defender and always will be. At his core he’s a good person and it tends to get overlooked by his character flaws.

Really good pick up! It reminds often of early seasons Xander too. The way he a lot of the time he would put his foot in his mouth or make a dick of himself, but then would come through with a brilliant moment of humanity or loyality. No matter how much he dissed Angel in those early seasons he would normally come through in the end.

I think this probably ranks as Jane Espenson's best episode too? I like her comedy writing but sometimes that gets in the way of good storytelling. In this one I think she gets the right balance.

GraceK

Grr Arrg
Really good pick up! It reminds often of early seasons Xander too. The way he a lot of the time he would put his foot in his mouth or make a dick of himself, but then would come through with a brilliant moment of humanity or loyality. No matter how much he dissed Angel in those early seasons he would normally come through in the end.

I think this probably ranks as Jane Espenson's best episode too? I like her comedy writing but sometimes that gets in the way of good storytelling. In this one I think she gets the right balance.

Agree! I think what happens is that Xander is such a dick in so many moments in alot of the early seasons that it overshadows so much of his growth in the later seasons. It’s hard for some fans to get over certain things . 🤷🏻‍♀️

Mr Trick

Scooby
Agree! I think what happens is that Xander is such a dick in so many moments in alot of the early seasons that it overshadows so much of his growth in the later seasons. It’s hard for some fans to get over certain things . 🤷🏻‍♀️

That's fair. I think you can also excuse those scenes because Xander moves on and grows from them. Come the later seasons he is far more mature.

GraceK
GraceK
Yup!! He is also nonjudgmental about Spike because he has gone through so much with Anya at this point. He has really matured.

katmobile

Scooby
He's very ambivalent about Spike sometimes like here he expresses sympathy but a lot of the time during season six he looks down on him even when with Gone he has no real reason too unless he does realise he does and isn't acknowledging it which as a victim of abuse he might have got good at. He also hostile during early season seven until he is the one who works out that Spike is being triggered then he suddenly stops. I read that as indentification on Xander's part being used by a villian and made to do things against his will happened to him with Dracula and hynea possession he can relate to that.

Xander's interesting because he's so mixed he's a good man who does some bad things and has some bad attitudes that have bad consequences but are never as obviously bad for him to be called out about them. I think Spike and Xander are generally more alike than either cares to admit or at least not at this stage.

Oromous

Socially Awkward
Sineya
And the exploration of what love means continues. Buffy feels like her toughness is making her insensitive; Glory's minions shower her with their idolatry; while Spike... builds a masturbation machine. Yeah. There's really no other way to interpret it. It's a sex machine built for Spike's pleasure, all played up in a comedic manner to make it less creepy.

For what it's worth, Spike does prove that vampires could have their own form of "altruism," perhaps a more distorted one that I don't fully understand yet at this point watching the series. Considering what I know, that Darla will have a son in the future of AtS (the notoriously hated Connor), perhaps vampires have their own versions of love that's on a completely different level that humans couldn't hope to comprehend.

Also, I wasn't really that crept out by the Buffy-bot, not because of the comedy, but because, well, Spike's a demon. Lusting over a person and building a robot image of her isn't really surprising for the list of things a demon would do. Considering the amount of sadistic torture vampires have performed over the centuries, creepy stalking and having a sexual fantasy be given form aren't really that shocking anymore in comparison. There's a dissonance here in the value of what is appalling here relatively speaking.

The only thing that bothered me about this episode is something that's not a flaw, but just a confusion of mine: "Death is your gift." I guess I'll know what that really means by the end of the season. It all just seems really vague at this point, but like how "Are You Now or Have You Ever" in AtS, perhaps it will make more sense in the larger context of the season.

Anyway, I like how Buffy teaches what real love is. It's perhaps the first step to Spike's path of redemption (or his own version of redemption) where he learns more about human values and how to love Buffy the way she is, not the way he expects her to be.

Btvs fan

Scooby
And the exploration of what love means continues. Buffy feels like her toughness is making her insensitive; Glory's minions shower her with their idolatry; while Spike... builds a masturbation machine. Yeah. There's really no other way to interpret it. It's a sex machine built for Spike's pleasure, all played up in a comedic manner to make it less creepy.

For what it's worth, Spike does prove that vampires could have their own form of "altruism," perhaps a more distorted one that I don't fully understand yet at this point watching the series. Considering what I know, that Darla will have a son in the future of AtS (the notoriously hated Connor), perhaps vampires have their own versions of love that's on a completely different level that humans couldn't hope to comprehend.

Also, I wasn't really that crept out by the Buffy-bot, not because of the comedy, but because, well, Spike's a demon. Lusting over a person and building a robot image of her isn't really surprising for the list of things a demon would do. Considering the amount of sadistic torture vampires have performed over the centuries, creepy stalking and having a sexual fantasy be given form aren't really that shocking anymore in comparison. There's a dissonance here in the value of what is appalling here relatively speaking.

The only thing that bothered me about this episode is something that's not a flaw, but just a confusion of mine: "Death is your gift." I guess I'll know what that really means by the end of the season. It all just seems really vague at this point, but like how "Are You Now or Have You Ever" in AtS, perhaps it will make more sense in the larger context of the season.

Anyway, I like how Buffy teaches what real love is. It's perhaps the first step to Spike's path of redemption (or his own version of redemption) where he learns more about human values and how to love Buffy the way she is, not the way he expects her to be.

Its a great scene but Buffy didn’t need to kiss him on the mouth. That is her saying keep it up and you've got a shot.

Angel sleeps with Darla in the S2 episode Reprise which gets her pregnant. She then kills herself to save the baby in Lullaby in S3.

Connor in S5 is actually not bad. Its just how he was written in S4 thats the issue.

Oromous
Oromous
Aw, spoilers. :(

Oromous

Socially Awkward
Sineya
Its a great scene but Buffy didn’t need to kiss him on the mouth. That is her saying keep it up and you've got a shot.
I think that's really up for interpretation. I don't personally think that she was saying "you've got a shot," but more like she was thanking him. I agree though it's a bit weird to kiss him on the mouth - on the cheek would've been better. But I see Buffy as a romantic, as in she probably grew up on fairy tales at one point of her childhood, possibly even seeing Angel as his dark and shining prince charming, so I could kinda understand why she would kiss Spike as a showing of affection for that particular moment. I don't think it was really a romantic kiss, but more of an affectionate one out of gratefulness, the same way a betrothed princess might kiss the hero at the end of a story without any romantic associations.

@Btvs fan: I've only seen up 'till season 2, but it's okay. :) It's only a matter of time before these things are spoiled.

Last edited:
B
Btvs fan
Sorry about the spoilers i thought you've seen Angel

Btvs fan

Scooby
I think that's really up for interpretation. I don't personally think that she was saying "you've got a shot," but more like she was thanking him. I agree though it's a bit weird to kiss him on the mouth - on the cheek would've been better. But I see Buffy as a romantic, as in she probably grew up on fairy tales at one point of her childhood, possibly even seeing Angel as his dark and shining prince charming, so I could kinda understand why she would kiss Spike as a showing of affection for that particular moment. I don't think it was really a romantic kiss, but more of an affectionate one out of gratefulness, the same way a betrothed princess might kiss the hero at the end of a story without any romantic associations.

How can you have a non romantic kiss between the hero and princess. That just doesn't work. She could've just thanked him and left. She kissed a guy she knows is in love with her full on the mouth. If that's not saying a message I don't know what is

Oromous
Oromous
Yeah, I agree. On the cheek would've been better. This small little detail changes the whole context of the scene. I think that that's the only problem with it, that it's on the lips.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
She could've just thanked him and left. She kissed a guy she knows is in love with her full on the mouth. If that's not saying a message I don't know what is

I agree, and in my view, it's just the start of a pattern of Buffy's behaviour where she sends Spike mixed messages by telling him to stay away from her one minute whilst kissing him/having sex with him (season 6) the next. A kiss on the lips is an intimate kiss so I don't buy it as "just a thank you". It's bad form on BUffy's part because she is essentially keeping Spike dangling on a string.

Oromous

Socially Awkward
Sineya
I agree, and in my view, it's just the start of a pattern of Buffy's behaviour where she sends Spike mixed messages by telling him to stay away from her one minute whilst kissing him/having sex with him (season 6) the next. A kiss on the lips is an intimate kiss so I don't buy it as "just a thank you". It's bad form on BUffy's part because she is essentially keeping Spike dangling on a string.
Which seems kinda off because she's been "Ew, Spike gross" the whole time prior to that kiss. Trying to send out romantic signals all of the sudden just felt odd and jarring.

Last edited:
Top Bottom