• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Discussion of 5.20 "Spiral" - Aired 5/08/01 (WB-US)

Oromous

Socially Awkward
Sineya
Ah yes, that ending...

Pretty much what Taake said. This episode doesn't flow very smoothly and it feels like a pitstop before the final battle, with Buffy and the Scoobs just running away from the inevitable.

I like the battle on top of the RV though. I was immediately reminded of Xena when I saw Buffy wield that medieval sword. lol I could practically hear the Bulgarian chanting (from the Xena intro) as she swings it around!

This last part of the season definitely feels more fantastical than Buffy's usual fare, for better or worse. We've had vampires, Dracula, the Wolf Man, Frankenstein's monster, robots, sexbots, a goddess of chaos, and now villains who might as well have come from some Arthurian legend. Is Buffy turning into Once Upon A Time? LOL When is King Arthur gonna show up? I do like how the writers play around with the genre and setting though. Keeps the story from becoming stale. Just as long as it doesn't tread into Battlestar Galactica/Firefly outer space territory. That would be too weird.

I find the inclusion of Ben to be contrived and unnecessary. The entire clinic and she only knew one guy? I mean, it makes sense but why not just dial 911 or something? I find it unrealistic how it had to be Ben, Ben whom Dawn clearly saw shapeshifted into Glory right in front of her, and she didn't have enough sense to know that the tied up general was talking about him? I just find it hard to buy it.

Sigh. At least we're near the end.

Top Bottom