• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 5.20 "The Girl in Question" - Aired 5/5/2004 (WB-US)

D

DarlaDru

Angel and Spike travel to Rome with plans to rescue Buffy from their old nemesis The Immortal. While in Italy, they also attempt to retrieve the head of a fallen demon leader to prevent a perilous power struggle between several warring demon clans. Fred's parents come to visit.
Source: TV.com

Well, I just wondered about the fact, that there is no thread about episode 20. I re-watched "The Girl in Question" again and I think, it's one of the most amazing episodes of the final season.
Spike and Angel together in Italy was just priceless.
It's one of the funniest episodes ever.

What do you guys think about "The Girl in Question"? :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Anya2012

Floppy, hoppy, bunnies!
I think its only so-so. I would have liked to seen the Italian Wesley but I usually skip this one.

Taake

Something Wicked This Way Comes
Staff member
Black Thorn
I've always liked "The Girl In Question" but I've never loved it. (I like it a lot more now though, after reading the comics).

I think it's real fun as always though to see Angel and Spike together and I absolutely love Italian Wolfram and Hart. Also Andrew! It's not an episode I would ever skip because it really makes me smile almost all the way through (even though I at times find it going from funny to a tad silly)

PassionBecoming
PassionBecoming
[No message]

zobothehobo

Scooby
I find I like comedy more than action. Therefore this episode ranked really high with me. I think it was my favorite episode of Angel. It's even better after I've read Long Way Home... But I just love it... everything about it...

white avenger

white avenger
I do enjoy the episode as a comedy, plus the character of Illiana was great, and should have been used again (possibly that was planned for the non-existent televised Season 6, but if so, we'll never know now) plus introducing a character like the Immortal, and then never showing him was a really dirty trick for Joss to play on his fans, though, once again, that might have been developed in Season 6, if there ever had been one. The image of Angel in his "latest fashion" jacket will stay with me forever.

As funny as it was, however, and as much as it provided a break from all of the seriousness that had been going on, once it became apparent that Sarah would not be reprising her role, for whatever reasons, I think that the entire episode should have been scrapped in order to make room for a two part version of "Not Fade Away." then there would have been time for Angel to have recruited a few more fighters, Gwen, for instance, and maybe a few friendly demons who Lorne could have recruited. That whole "slapping the Senior Partners in the face" bit was noble, but obviously suicidal with just that few fighters. Then there could have been a great scene with Angel and Spike trying to get Buffy on a speaker phone or a video hookup on the internet, but getting Andrew instead.

But, as I said, the episode as presented was funny and a change of pace, so I guess it served its intended purpose.

Chosen Enemy

Losing my soul
At first the episode depressed me, because for all we knew, it was Buffy there, dancing, having a romantic affair with The Immortal. Because I'm a Spuffy, so when Andrew said that Buffy is in that place right now and both Angel and Spike should move on... that breaks my heart.
But then... what do you know! It's not really Buffy. So I can enjoy this episode better, besides the comedic scenes between Spike and Angel. And besides being a Spuffy I'm also a Spangel, so it was great seeing the Spangel interaction playing up this way. And how cute was Angel hugging Spike on the motorcycle??! At least he didn't wear a pink helmet this time :D

S
StarSlayer
[No message]

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
I thought this ep was hilarious! I love a good petty Spike and Angel argument, especially the bit when they're arguing over who saved the world the most times.

S
StarSlayer
Lol, "I signaled her with my eyes."
Z
zobothehobo
Counting it up, Spike won. Which makes me happier than words can describe.
thetopher
thetopher
Wrong I'm afraid. Angel beats Spike by a large margin. :)

StarSlayer

Defender of Spuffy
One of my favorite episodes in AtS because of its sheer comedy. I love seeing Angel and Spike argue, then work together, then fight each other, then argue some more, then feel depressed together, lol! I love the flashback scenes too, especially since its with the core four vampires. And I love any episode with Andrew!

Andrew: "Is Angel crying?"
Spike: "No! Not yet."

:D

P
PrettyLilGirl
haha that bit made me really laugh..:)
D

DarlaDru

One of my favorite episodes in AtS because of its sheer comedy. I love seeing Angel and Spike argue, then work together, then fight each other, then argue some more, then feel depressed together, lol! I love the flashback scenes too, especially since its with the core four vampires. And I love any episode with Andrew!

Andrew: "Is Angel crying?"
Spike: "No! Not yet."

:D
Agreed.:bounce3:

Yeah , Andrew is priceless. And Angel and Spike together is never wrong - always huge fun!

Anya2012

Floppy, hoppy, bunnies!
Forgot about Andrew...I enjoyed seeing Andrew and Angel and Spike together is always fun but I don't know, it's just not one of my favourites.

It was funny, but I'm always annoyed when they have to work around actors who won't come back. They do it a lot on Smallville after Michael Rosenbaum leaves. It's annoying.

Taake
Taake
very much agreed
D

DarlaDru

It was funny, but I'm always annoyed when they have to work around actors who won't come back. They do it a lot on Smallville after Michael Rosenbaum leaves. It's annoying.
Good point. I mean, knew before I watched this episode at first, that SMG won't appear in season 5 of Angel, but somehow it would be better, if they would have brought her back for this episode, because, if Spike and Angel are already going to Europe, just because of Buffy, so it would have been, if she would have appeared....:rolleyes:

zobothehobo

Scooby
I honestly hadn't thought about the fact Sarah wouldn't come back... I mean, it really worked for the plot that they didn't actually catch up to her. Both of them needed to move on. If they had met up to her, it would have been hysterical and fun and all of us fans were hoping they would when we first watched this episode... but looking back on it, it would have been wrong.

Nikkolas

Glory/Dawn Shipper.......
At first the episode depressed me, because for all we knew, it was Buffy there, dancing, having a romantic affair with The Immortal. Because I'm a Spuffy, so when Andrew said that Buffy is in that place right now and both Angel and Spike should move on... that breaks my heart.
But then... what do you know! It's not really Buffy.
I try to ignore the comics but even without them, one shouldn't really take this episode seriously. Yes, Buffy sleeping with the Immortal is a load of random BS but so is the soulless Angelus' comedic and passionate behavior.

Psychotic masterminds just shouldn't be acting like jealous teenagers unless character is being disregarded for comedy.

So, I look at this ep and laugh, even though i personally support Bangel. Because it's just supposed to be laughed at and not really thought about.

Username

Scooby
I haven't seen this episode since before the comic, a long time ago, and I hated this episode. But seeing it now knowing that it actually wasn't Buffy made it easier to just sit back and enjoy the comedy, which there is plenty of.

Wolfram & Hart in Rome "Gypsies, *spits* we will speak of them no more!" LMAO :D

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
I love this episode, I think it's absolutely hilarious. I just watched it a couple nights ago, but I'm thinking I need to see it again. More Spangel is never a bad thing! I loved how they came to a kind of agreement at the end. That slow-mo fight scene had me in stitches.

Others have quoted my favorite lines, but here's some more I like:
Angel: Ours is a forever love.
Spike: I had a relationship with her, too.
Angel: Okay, sleeping together is not a relationship.
Spike: It is if you do it enough times.

Spike: The Immortal?!
Angel: I mean, come on!
Spike: She's smarter than that!
Angel: She'd never fall for a centuries old guy with a dark past who may or may not be evil.

Demon: Oh, look - the Americans are relying on violence to solve their problems. What a surprise.

Spike: So, what? We just have to live with it? Get on with our lives?
Angel: 'Fraid so.
Spike: Fine. No problem. I was planning on doing that anyway.
Angel: Yeah, me, too.
Spike: Actually, I'm doing it right now. As we speak, I'm movin' on.
Angel: Movin' on.
Spike:Oh, yeah.
Angel: Right now.
Spike: Movin'.

According to David Fury, the plan was never for SMG to appear in TGIQ, but in Power Play instead:
JOZIC: But wasn't there talk of her being in "The Girl in Question"?

FURY: There was very, very little talk about that. No, she was never going to be in that. The missed opportunity to see Buffy was always going to be the joke of that. It's the tease of, they're going to see Buffy, and they can't quite get to her. It's sort of the After Hours kind of craziness where it's like, I can't get to her, I can't see her, and that was always pretty much decided.

The person we expected to get and didn't get was Michelle Trachtenberg. We had expected to get her for that episode but she was tied up prepping a movie, I believe, and wasn't able to do it, which is why we brought Andrew back again.

But, Sarah, no. We never expected Sarah to be in that episode. We did think she might be in the second last episode, "Power Play", just like Angel appeared in the second last episode of Buffy's finale. We thought we'd do that but wound up not.
http://www.mikejozic.com/buffyweek6.html
And I can't forget to mention the part of the episode that we haven't talked about: Illyria assuming the persona of Fred for Fred's parents. It was sad & haunting.

Tammy

Potential
Spike: Can't we just... lock her away in a box where no one can ever touch her? You know? Like we did with Pavayne?

Best line!

Top Bottom