• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 5.20 "The Girl in Question" - Aired 5/5/2004 (WB-US)

svp

Townie
I love this episode. I adore the 1950's Italy flashback with Spike and Drusilla and pretty much every Spike/Angel scene. And, yeah, the scenes with Wes, Illyria and Fred's parents are heart-wrenching, but so incredibly well acted.

Goby

Brb, shipping Snoyce
Sineya
According to David Fury, the plan was never for SMG to appear in TGIQ, but in Power Play instead:
I agree with David. This episode could NEVER EVER EVER have SMG in it and still be funny.

Can you imagine SMG telling Angel and Spike that the Immortal is the greatest lover ever, that he is her soul mate, and that she's going to spend eternity with him? Instead of comedy, you would have a terrible tragedy. :(

I still think SMG should have made some type of appearance in Angel, but not in this episode.

Z
zobothehobo
[No message]

PrettyLilGirl

Happy Meal On Legs
I love this episode very very funny..and it would have been way too serious if they had caught up with her..well actually if they stuck with the comic thing they would have been quite disappointed lol

I kinda loved it when Andrew said 'she loves you both' that made me smile. :)

Angel and Spike when they are like this are totally at their best. James and David work really well together and have great banter :D

Oh and I love it when Spike talks about putting her in a box and Angel takes that moment to think then says 'no i dont think she'd let us, shes pretty strong' like if she wasnt that would be perfectly acceptable lol :D

EvilWillow

Scooby
This episode pissed me off. It was suck a teaser...I was hoping to see SMG but all you see is the back of some blonde girl's head that wasn't SMG. I should have known it wouldn't be her. Oh sure, they can have crossovers with OTHER characters, but not Buffy. :mad:

buffyanne93

Avid Roleplayer
This episode pissed me off. It was suck a teaser...I was hoping to see SMG but all you see is the back of some blonde girl's head that wasn't SMG. I should have known it wouldn't be her. Oh sure, they can have crossovers with OTHER characters, but not Buffy. :mad:
Omg. Completely agree. This made me so angry!! The commercial made it seem like it was her!!

Jules

Bite Me
Black Thorn
As much as I enjoyed this episode, I felt it very miss matched. On the one hand you have Spike and Angel looking for Buffy and all the comedy that comes with that. Then you have those funny scenes interacting with the Illyria scenes which I think are heart breaking. Seeing Wes' reaction to looking at Fred again was so sad, watching Illyria try and fool Fred parent's was very emotional!

It does bring an interesting point about that even with Fred's soul being destroyed Illyria can still act like her just from her memories alone.

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
I'm not a fan of this episode, it kinda reminds me of Go Fish, where there's a serious multi ep arc then a silly ep right in the middle of it. It should have just continued with the Illyria storyline and focused on Fred's parents and what was happening there

timbitsmama

Townie
I totally agree [MENTION=8885]nightshade[/MENTION]! It should've stayed with one plot--the comedy of Spike and Angel's search across Italy was a weird balance to the sadness of Illyria manipulating Wesley and Fred's parents. It didn't match at all and there was no set 'mood'. The idea of Illyria becoming Fred through her memories is so brilliant I think that they should've played that up way more. The whole episode just seemed awkward to me.

white avenger

white avenger
Has there ever been any sort of explanation as to just why Angel doesn't know Buffy's correct eye color? I have a theory, but it's almost certainly going to be blamed on the Spuffy colored glasses that I view the show with.

Angel was actually thinking about Nina.

All Bangels, feel free to roll your eyes now.

PassionBecoming
PassionBecoming
I had the thought of "Aren't Buffy's eyes green?!" too!
bespangeled
bespangeled
Yeah - kinda thought that too.
Give Us A Kiss
Give Us A Kiss
Last time I checked, green isn't the same as blue :P

PassionBecoming

Minuscule Redheaded One
Sineya
I see there is a discussion going on above, but I don't want to read it before watching! I'm curious to see how Illyria acts now. Will she play nice with the Fang Gang?

-"Fine. We'll send Spike." "Bugger that, do it yourself." Hahahaha.
-Gotta love demons who just want to make money and not kill humans.
-I'm not sure "Wank off" will translate to Italian..
-"It's Buffy." I still get shivers when he says her name.
-Trying to think - this would be in conjunction with S8 of the comics then?
-Um, have we heard about the Immortal before?? And Spike and Angel being all petty over Buffy as usual. And Angel saying he's "seeing" Nina. Cute!
-"I'm not proud of it, but it's...it's Buffy."
-Oh, my, Spike and Dru in Italy in the 50's! Hilarious!
-Aaaand then Angel and Spike tied up in Italy. Hmm. Love them making idle threats. And hearing Angelous' Irish accent. So...the Immortal was mad at Spike and Angelous...and did something to Darla?
-"How am I to function with such limitation?" "Have you ever tried a sea breeze?" It's good she's not all-powerful anymore, but I do feel bad for her.
-THEY DIDN'T TELL THE BERKELS FRED DIED?!?!?!?! Jeepers, guys.
-Erm..Buffy is dating the Immortal guy?! And Andrew has let himself go a bit.
-"Did he hurt you?" "Not until I asked him to." So Darla. And she is quite smitten.
-Ah, so Buffy is in with yet another vamp? Didn't learn her lesson yet. :p
-Really great fornication. This is flippin' hilarious. The girls all basking in pleasure and the boys freaking out.
-Spike and Angel lamenting Buffy falling for the Immortal. And then Angel basically describes himself. Heehee.
-Head in a bowling bag. Fun.
-Umm...Illyria is pretending to be Fred now?! Poor Wes. :(
-Oh, dear, is Angel going to dance??
-"Sleeping together is not a relationship." "It is if you do it enough times!" Interesting that Spike says he doesn't have a shot with Buffy/never did. And also, that is SO not Buffy's hair.
-Slo-mo romantic music fight.
-"Hop on, little mama." Oh, my gosh.
-This background music is killing me!!
-The Immortal got Spike thrown in prison for tax evasion??
-W&H Rome office. Good thinking, boys.
-Spitting at the gypsies that gave Angel his soul. Heh.
-Fred's mom trying to hook her up with Wesley. This is so sad to watch.
-Interesting seeing Illyria in Fred's body.
-I want to see this Immortal.
-I like this Italian PR W&H lady.
-Ooo, angry Wesley. did not like seeing Illyria in Fred's form.
-Make sure the head is in the bag, Spike!
-A little late there, buddy. The duster is dead! :(
-The Immortal's eating cookie dough. Hahahahahahaha.
-The boys are all distraught about having to let Buffy go. Sad day.
-Ugh, Illyria, stop torturing Wesley!! "You'll never be her."
-Spike wanting to lock Buffy in a box. Heh.
-Hasn't Angel pretty much already moved on from Buffy? I mean, they will always love each other, but that's been discussed and rehashed and all. Not sure what Spike's deal is. Odd.

Not a terrible ep and it's always nice to hear Buffy mentioned!

---------- Post added at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

Has there ever been any sort of explanation as to just why Angel doesn't know Buffy's correct eye color? I have a theory, but it's almost certainly going to be blamed on the Spuffy colored glasses that I view the show with.

Angel was actually thinking about Nina.

All Bangels, feel free to roll your eyes now.
But also, Spike didn't correct him. ;)

wickedtiger86

Scooby
Sineya
So. When the Burkle's went up to look at Fred's office and Wesley finally has the opportunity to confront Illyria about all of this. . .Ugh! . . . and then the Burkle's come back out and ask if everything's ok. And Illyria/Fred is just looking at Wesley until he's says it's fine.

When he says that line, his voice breaks. Pretty sure my heart broke along with it.

I did like this episode a lot. I liked the comedy thrown in, especially as it is toward the end of the show, so that that aspect of Angel wasn't buried at the end under all the drama and suspense. It was like a nice swan song to the lighter aspects.

I always crack up in the car chase when the music changes with those two on the motorbike. No matter how many times I see it.

Robb Stark

King in the North
Sineya
Other than the placement of this episode in the season, which I agree didn't really mesh with the structure of the current overall arc, I love this episode. I think it's hysterical.

PassionBecoming
PassionBecoming
[No message]
AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
[No message]

bespangeled

Scooby
Black Thorn
Source: TV.com

Well, I just wondered about the fact, that there is no thread about episode 20. I re-watched "The Girl in Question" again and I think, it's one of the most amazing episodes of the final season.
Spike and Angel together in Italy was just priceless.
It's one of the funniest episodes ever.

What do you guys think about "The Girl in Question"? :)
I love TGIQ but then again I am a Spangel fan and that is the most seriously homoerotic thread since Angelus batting his eyelashes and asking Spike to be deviant with him. While I understand the problems a lot of people had with it - I still love it!

Silverspike
Silverspike
[No message]

fresley93

Potential
The best parts of the episode were when Fred's parents showed up. Really twisting the knife with that story line. Tragedy: Fred's dead, Wesley is heartbroken and barely knows what he is fighting for anymore. More Tragedy: The Burkle's show up and Wesley faces a horrific situation, how to tell them their daughter is dead. Only to have her walk into the room. And poor Wes, having to deal with Illyria in Fred's form. Wow. A most underrated episode.

And it really sets up what happens with Wes and Illyria in NFA. Her little scene at the end of the episode with Wes in his office really brings up questions of how much of Fred remains, and how much influence she has on Illyria.

The best part about Italy was the exact replica of the Wolfram & Hart office. Building replication anyone?

white avenger

white avenger
-

But also, Spike didn't correct him. ;)
But, actually, he did. He said something like, "Her eyes are HAZEL, you wanker!" (Not an exact quote, I can't find the script)

I could have understood if Angel had said brown or green. My eyes are also hazel, and I've been told more than once that they are one or the other of those two colors. But BLUE? Angel spent three years gazing longingly into those eyes, the eyes of his supposed one true love, the girl who literally stole his soul away, and he couldn't even remember what color they were? Pitiful!

bespangeled

Scooby
Black Thorn
SONG
(performed by Dean Martin)
Once upon a lovely time,
Many million dreams ago,
Once there was a man in love, dear,
Many million dreams ago.
Once he thought he had a sweetheart,
Then he broke the golden rule:
Never take your love for granted.
Wise men often play the fool.
Now he'd like to say, "I'm sorry."
Can't you see within his heart
Without you, there's no tomorrow.
Why should true love have to part?

As far as I'm concerned this was one of the most homoerotic scenes in AtS. Hey, don't try to sink my ship, I am happy just floating along.

I love the humor, and I needed it because the Burkle and Fred scenes (and Wesley...sob) were so sad. AtS can do heartbreak so well. The final scene with Wesley and Fred/Illyria is gut wrenching!

vellavu

Scooby
Black Thorn
If you have a problem with the "immortals don't change" setting, don't blame the comics and Gage. Blame this episode.

You think Angel matured during one epiphany after another?

You think Spike's creepy fixation disappeared after the soul-having thing?

You think Buffyverse vampires finally outgrew Joss's initial "vampire=immaturity" metaphor?

The answer is: :rolleyes:

thetopher
thetopher
Perfect. :D
Fuffy Baith
Fuffy Baith
But I still like the episode. lol
Top Bottom