• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 5.20 "The Girl in Question" - Aired 5/5/2004 (WB-US)

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
A fun episode. However, considering the heavy episodes that went before it such as "Damage" and the character growth for Spike and Angel in that episode, this one seems like kind of a back step for the two. This episode would be better placed earlier on in the season IMO before "Damage" because they seem quite juvenile here whereas in "Damage" they seemed more mature.

fresley93

Potential
A fun episode. However, considering the heavy episodes that went before it such as "Damage" and the character growth for Spike and Angel in that episode, this one seems like kind of a back step for the two. This episode would be better placed earlier on in the season IMO before "Damage" because they seem quite juvenile here whereas in "Damage" they seemed more mature.
Not really a fun episode when you include the Wesley & Illyria stuff. It was like watching trainwreck. It looks cool, but it's so tragic.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Not really a fun episode when you include the Wesley & Illyria stuff. It was like watching trainwreck. It looks cool, but it's so tragic.
True. The Angel and Spike stuff was fun, the Wesley/Fred stuff was sad but strong. Amy Acker proved her acting skills by how effortlessly she switched between Fred and Illyria.

fresley93

Potential
Yeah, Amy Acker is great, the episode also brings up the question of how much of Fred remains after Illyria took over.
Lets look at it.
1. Her desire to be near Wesley & trying to help him
2. Her willingness to deceive Fred's parents
3. Her regard for Gunn & Spike.

How much of that is Fred?

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Yeah, Amy Acker is great, the episode also brings up the question of how much of Fred remains after Illyria took over.
Lets look at it.
1. Her desire to be near Wesley & trying to help him
2. Her willingness to deceive Fred's parents
3. Her regard for Gunn & Spike.

How much of that is Fred?
I still think an element of Fred remains, otherwise why not just have Illyria take over a dead body?

fresley93

Potential
Also remember, Joss Whedon is a bit evil.

He said, Wouldn't it be fun to kill Amy?

But I also know the plans for season 6: Fred/Illyria would both be there, like Clark Kent & Superman

WillowWhispers

Bored now...
I watched this episode a few days ago and I love it. Granted, I'll concede it doesn't fit much with the later season arc, but I'm glad we have it. I almost think Joss and crew crammed two small stories together in one episode because they couldn't justify their own episodes...and well they knew at this point they weren't getting another season (boo!). The A & B plots seem to have an odd couple feel for sure...but I can't get over the humor in it. It's my guilty pleasure episode.

Also, regarding the Buffy eye color slip- I think that may have been a writer error (especially since neither character corrects the comment). I seem to remember reading somewhere that Joss originally wrote Buffy as having blue eyes, just that SMG has hazel eyes. It's a small detail that I could see the writers of AtS forgetting about Buffy after it being over for a full season (and not all the writers did crossovers).

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
Angel got another haircut :eek:

Spike is playing GameBoy :oops:

How do Spike and I say "wank off" in Italian ??? o_O

Buffy Buffy Buffy...:rolleyes:

Angel, Spike, stop acting like children :mad:

Nina is mentioned :D

Angel, say the source of the info...

Spike and Dru :)

1894, that was over 120 years ago :eek:

Angelus, your accent sucks...

Nice one :D

Illyria seems to like plants...

Does Illyria even eat ??? o_O

Fred's parents :eek:

Meanwhile in Rome...

Andrew :eek:

Andrew still has a crush on Spike...

Andrew needs a haircut...

Buffy and The Immortal are dating ??? o_O:confused:

What happened to Darla's voice ??? o_O

Dru :eek:

Darla and Dru are bathing together...

It's actually over...

Angel, that's very much Buffy's type...

Wes, break the bad news...

It's Fred :eek:

Blue Eyes ??? Buffy has Green eyes last time I checked...

Sleeping together is not a relationship...

Fight scene in slow motion :D

Car chase :D

Spike has a point, they should stop arguing...

Good thinking Spike :)

She is annoying...

Fred's parents are very optimistic people :)

Lucky ??? o_O

This chick and Hitler might be able to bond over their hatred of gypsies :p

With Jasmine it counts, she was evil...

Wes, why shouldn't she do it again ??? o_O

Spike... :rolleyes:

The head is a ball :eek:

Bomb :eek:

R.I.P Spike's jacket :(

Spike has a new jacket :D

That thing looks bad on Angel...

So heroes shouldn't believe in a higher power ??? :confused:

Enough with the Cookie Dough already :mad:

Andrew has beards :eek:

Illyria, go back to your original form please...

How did the head get there ??? :eek:

Yes, you will have to live with it...

Finally moving on :D

Next time: Drogyn comes to town and we get to know more about the house of Black Thorn.

white avenger

white avenger
Something that I've always wondered about this episode is, when Illyria assumes Fred's image in order to fool Fred's parents, she tells Wes that she can look like anyone she wants to. Just a throwaway line, I know, but it might have been a cool thing if she could, literally, look like anyone she wanted to.

spikenbuffy

"You have superpowers,that's so cool,can you fly?"
How does Angel know that Spike 's jacket was to the second slayer that he killed ?

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
How does Angel know that Spike 's jacket was to the second slayer that he killed ?
I figure Angel has kept tabs on the whirlwind. Especially once Spike and Dru blew in for BtVS s2. He probably asked around, hung out at Willie’s overheard demons talking about Spike showing off about killing his two Slayers. It’s probably the kinda think Spike likes to brag about. Or maybe while they were trapped together in the mansion after Angel had lost his soul Spike tried to impress Angelus with stories of his favorite kills over the past 100 years. I don’t think it’s too much of a stretch to think he knew. But we never saw it explicitly in the show. This is all head canon! :)

Myheadsgonenumb

Potential
I love this episode! It is so funny ... but so heart -breakingly sad as well. I've always said that 'Bewitched, Bothered an Bewildered' and 'Passion' show case some of the very best of Buffy - the way, in one week, we go from side splitting laughter - to Jenny dead on the bed. But in TGIQ - we get that same juxtaposition in the very same episode - and I love it. I forget how funny it is whilst Illyria is pretending to be Fred - and I forget how heart rending it is when Spike and Angel are speeding around the stradas ('It's Italian for street' - 'I know that'.) on their little scooter.

The placing is a bit off - I'm always surprised when we go from Spike and Angel - lads on tour - to Power Play, where no one trusts Angel any more. But out of context - it's a cracker.

Top Bottom