• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 5.22 "The Gift" - Aired 5/22/01 (WB-US)

M

mudslides

How did they get Buffy buried and with a headstone without telling anyone (parent, school etc and Im presuming other authorities) that she was dead?

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Ha! There's always someone isn't there?

Vigeous

I've been thinking about the world...
Like many others mentioned, this would have been a great finale episode. I'm really glad it wasn't because there are some fantastic and unforgettable episodes ahead of this one, but I think the big bad they chose, what was at stake and how Buffy finally gets the rest she's been wanting and deserves all ties up so nicely. I definitely got choked up at the end. In fact, I've been choking up a but this re-watch of the series; I've been finding myself incredibly sympathetic of Buffy in these big moments/episodes. I feel so bad for her and wish I could be there in the show to give her a hug.

Even though I just said I feel for Buffy in these tough situations, I have a big problem with her in this episode/ending of the series. I can't remember the exact line, but she says something along the lines of everybody else dies before Dawn does. First of all, that's an incredibly selfish thing of Buffy to say. I understand completely that Dawn is family, and Dawn is Buffy, essentially. I get that Dawn is Buffy's world. However, I can't believe she was willing to let the portal open and fight to the death protecting Dawn and have the rest of the world die in the process before having Dawn die. If Dawn lives after the portal opens, she and the rest of humanity will likely die from hell on earth anyway. But, if Dawn is killed before the ritual or to close the portal, the rest of the world lives.

Obviously this is all made up for and Dawn doesn't die, but still. I feel it was a little bit harsh.

AMAZING episode though. So many great things outside of the main plot too. Spike, Xander, and Anya had some awesome moments. I really liked Spike's brief moment with Buffy when he says he knows she'll never love him, but she treats him like a man. Very sweet. Also, Xander's proposal to Anya and how he says he's not interested in living his long, silly life without her there was great.

The season as a whole was fantastic and Glory was so well casted. She was played so well and was a very interesting character.

Charmander
Charmander
[No message]

dillonk47polik

Sineya
Well this episode was in fact originally written to be the series finale before it was decided to add more seasons. The "previously on Buffy' intro showed recaps from all seasons rather than just that season. That's something that seems like it should have been saved for the real finale. The demolishment of Sunnydale was something that was written for this episode but was saved for "Chosen".

Charmander

Potential
With the way they recapped the series at the beginning it definitely makes it seem as if this was intended to be the actual finale.
I liked how it started with a normal vampire kill, especially with the vamp not knowing what a Slayer was.
I thought it was extremely unlike Giles to be so pro-killing Dawn. I guess it just shows how much more devastating this apocalypse would have been.
Loved the little Xander/Willow moment:
Xander: "Smart chicks are soooo hot."
Willow: "You couldn't have figured that out in tenth grade?"
And Glory's: "Did everybody else know the slayer was a robot?"
I'm going to miss Glory, she was such a great villain, though it would have been interesting to see her become a true God again; it always seemed silly that she just got owned by a hammer. I think it would've looked better if both Glory and Buffy had gone down together, with some humerous mention of Glory being sent to some hell dimension that she personally finds awful, though maybe that would have been out of tone with all the seriousness going on.
I love how Buffy pushed the lizard guy off the tower so casually when we were expecting a fight.

Reactions: jls

vellavu

Scooby
Black Thorn
A question.

Tara said "Bitch! I'm Supposed to work on the factors!" after she slapped Willow.

Is the sentence supposed to mean something? Or just random?

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
You don't realize how much The Scobbies got done until you see that...

Buffy's quipping is back, it was terribly missed.

I will sure miss Giles (this is his last episode as a main character) :(.

Blood=Life ??? o_O

Tara, I miss you :(

Xander...:rolleyes:

Dawn, why ??? :confused:

Giles, let Buffy sacrifice herself, it's not suicide (unlike the PTC's claims...).

Buffy, you can't quit, Faith is in jail...

You guys weren't looking for it, you were having some kinky sex instead.

Anya's starting to become more of a human :)

Willow, you are a gun ;)

Ow :eek:

Why are we calling Glory a lady when she's a god more powerful than the rest of us ??? o_O

Tara, don't take off the cast...

Buffy has a good point, but I wonder how Tara's doing...

Tara's back :D

It's the BuffyBot :eek:

Glory's sure dumber than I thought...

The lizard guy again :eek:

Glory's bleeding, maybe she isn't a god after all.

Giles killed Ben, killing Glory with it :eek:

It has started :(

R.I.P Buffy :(

Spike's crying :(

Next time: 149 days later, The Scoobies resurrect Buffy :mad:

Dora

Scooby
The big bad who had killed two slayers could not handle a old man with a long tong ? which in the end caused Buffy to sacrifice herself !. I think it was written as the last episode of Buffy , Buffy had to find a new home after season 5 and basically jw did not go with them having a new project in Fire fly....seeing what happened perhaps it should have ended then

K
katmobile
Yeah I never figured that one out especially as Buffy pushed him off the tower

YummySushiPJs

Scooby
A question.

Tara said "Bitch! I'm Supposed to work on the factors!" after she slapped Willow.

Is the sentence supposed to mean something? Or just random?
I think it's just part of the random gibberish she was spouting at that time.
If you want to find meaning, she could be frustrated that she's supposed to be helping build the tower with the other crazy people but Willow is keeping her there.

GraceK

Grr Arrg
I wish this was the series finale. It was epic on every level. All the scoobies contributed to the end fight, which was one of the most well done finale fights in my opinion. All the little shout outs throughout the episode was also really sweet. I felt that Buffy's sacrifice was the perfect way to end the series. It's a fitting, heroic end to her character. She had always been a hero, making the tough choices and trying to do her best for others. Giving up her life to save the world and save her sister is the perfect way to send off her character. I would loved if it they picked up with Faith , having heard of Buffys death and picking up her mantle as Slayer if they were gonna continue the series . Let Buffy finally rest. But no they dragged it out for 2 more seasons and basically destroyed everyone's character for stupid metaphors and drama. Lame. I'm still bitter lol

Plus it would have been more really cool if they explored Dawns key aspect more. Like maybe opening those portals activated her powers. Instead they just made her normal and generic. For a mystical key whose been around forever they sure didn't do anything with it.

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
Liked this episode so much but here are some of my pet peeves.

Are we all supposed to be OK with the number of humans that had to die in this episode? The knights (who say nee?) the mind controlled people at the tower who are brutally attacked by the scoobies, and then of course Ben.

I hate when Buffy is fighting Glory and Dawn keeps obnoxiously yelling "Buffy". In fact Dawn is annoying as all hell in this episode, if she wouldn't have shouted SPIKE when the lizard guy was about to cut her, Spike could have probably snuck up on him.

But regardless of all of the little quirks the best stuff is:

The previously on Buffy, everything, the cold open, and the end.

EarthLogic
EarthLogic
How awesome would it have been t if they were the knights who say 'nee'. Then Buffy could have just thrown shrubs at them. ;-)

jls

a big cat
Ahhhhh. Buffy's face before she sacrifices herself, and her words to Dawn, my heart swells up! It makes me happy that they gave her a true hero's death, and I think you can kind of see in her eyes that Buffy is grateful too, for death, but also for a hero's death; meaningful and right. It's her gift to the world but it's also the world's gift to her. That sounds hokey but it makes sense to me.

There were acts of heroism all round, from Spike, trying to save Dawn, from Anya, saving Xander, even from Dawn, who intended on sacrificing herself.

James Marsters does amazing face work throughout this episode - so sensitive.

Willow and Tara's reunion is beautiful, I love when she says 'I will always find you'. That's a really brilliantly acted part.

I think Giles did the right thing killing Ben. Glory only would've come back. It shows that heroes aren't the only ones who are needed, it's definitely not a heroic act but a necessary one.

Also, I loved the foreshadowing that occurs the whole way through the episode and the series. But people have already spoken about this, so I'll just signal my appreciation!

I will miss the Doc and Glory (and Ben for his hotness). I wish they did more with the Doc, that actor was great, truly creepy.

Also, is there something messed up and weirdly menstrual about the whole young girl's 'bleeding' destroying the world?

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
Re watched this one! Easily one of the best finales.
I love the flashback scenes from S1 - now
I love Anya coming up with ideas.
Glory is such a strong villain.
Buffy has been through so much.
I love Buffy and Willow's friendship
I love the Spuffy scene. It was so pure.
The fight scenes were amazing especially between Buffy & Glory.
Buffy sacrificing herself was a heartbreaking yet a selfless and beautiful act.
I'll miss sexy Ben. I'll miss Glory cause she's a great villain.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
I really notice the difference in acting quality in this episode. In scenes with Giles and Buffy, Giles and Spike, and, Buffy and Willow, I am glued to the screen, feeling what they are - on the trolley with them. But scenes with Xander or Tara in, I get distracted and the spell is broken.

Buffy smashing Glory and all she is makes me cheer. Giles has a great evil streak, I am more sad now that we didn't get to see ASH as an evil.

Mr Trick

Scooby
I don't think the other seasons cheapened the effect of this episode, I just wish they would have waited longer to bring Buffy back. I know it was like 5 months for them, but it was not even 1 whole episode for us...

I have to say, a lot of the time, Buffy's speeches annoy me. But this one actually made me cry.
I agree with this. I mean do those crappy Halloween sequels cheapen the original film? No. Every time I watch that film I enjoy it just as much and see it as a masterpiece. Not that I'm comparing S6 and 7 of Buffy to those crappy Halloween sequels of course;)

I wish this was the series finale. It was epic on every level. All the scoobies contributed to the end fight, which was one of the most well done finale fights in my opinion. All the little shout outs throughout the episode was also really sweet. I felt that Buffy's sacrifice was the perfect way to end the series. It's a fitting, heroic end to her character. She had always been a hero, making the tough choices and trying to do her best for others. Giving up her life to save the world and save her sister is the perfect way to send off her character. I would loved if it they picked up with Faith , having heard of Buffys death and picking up her mantle as Slayer if they were gonna continue the series . Let Buffy finally rest. But no they dragged it out for 2 more seasons and basically destroyed everyone's character for stupid metaphors and drama. Lame. I'm still bitter lol

Plus it would have been more really cool if they explored Dawns key aspect more. Like maybe opening those portals activated her powers. Instead they just made her normal and generic. For a mystical key whose been around forever they sure didn't do anything with it.
I think that's the point that we only really got a taste of what would have happened if the portal hadn't been closed.

When it comes to all the small little details, and the craft put into it this may well be the best season finale. Its fitting that Tara in her own little way has a part in the final battle. Love how important Willow is and how for once her magic is put to good use. Giles going full ripper on Ben is a great moment too. The whole build up to the battle is wonderfully done. I can totally see Gile's case for letting Dawn go, but its Buffy's love for her and desire to do the right thing which is what makes her the Slayer. It really is a powerful moment when Buffy says to her friends that if any of them harm Dawn she'll kill them. The final moments of the episode get me ever time. So beautiful, so devastating. Pays off everything the season and Buffy the show had been building up to at that point. Pretty much perfection:)

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
There is a bit of fridge horror behind Buffy's grave at the end of this episode.

Think about it. When someone dies, there's a post mortem to ascertain the cause of death (make sure its natural and not murder), then a death certificate is issued, then a funeral is arranged through an undertakers including a coffin. Grave plots in churches have to be bought for burial then the funeral takes place.

The scoobies couldn't do any of that because they are using the Buffybot to convince everyone that Buffy is alive and well. However here's where the fridge horror kicks in:

First, they would've had to take her body home with them so that it didn't get discovered by someone else.
They then would've had to steal a coffin in order to put Buffy's body in.
Once they did that, they would have to find a cemetery (given the number of abandoned churches in Sunnydale, this was probably the easiest part of the plan) to bury Buffy in.
They would then have to transport Buffy and her coffin to the cemetery.
They'd have to dig the grave themselves and put the coffin in before filling it back in
They could then have a little service and get a headstone made.

Essentially the scoobies have to cart Buffy's dead body around with them until they can get her in the ground.

Ethan Reigns
Ethan Reigns
What else are friends for?

Btvs fan

Scooby
Not a fan of the Gift. Its basically a cop out for the Buffy character on the situation Joss himself raises.

It's why I'm always wary of calling Joss a genius etc. He can raise an interesting story thread but cop out of it. Which is not genius.

Btw how the hell did Anya survive those styrofoam bricks that fell on her. They looked dangerous 😳

Top Bottom