• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 6.07 "Once More, With Feeling" - Aired 11/6/01 (UPN-US)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Sunnydale is alive with the sound of music as a mysterious force causes everyone in town to burst into full musical numbers, revealing their innermost secrets as they do. Add in the fact that some townsfolk dance so much that they simply burst into flame, and it becomes clear that the Gang must stop this musical menace.
Source: Tv.com

Discuss this episode here!

PassionBecoming

Minuscule Redheaded One
Sineya
So, I'm obsessed with musicals, so I LOVE this episode. I sing the songs all the time. Random thoughts in no particular order:

-Tara's jazz hands = hilarious
-"Dawn's in trouble. Must be Tuesday." You can really tell how burned out Buffy is from living back in this world.
-sweet is one of my favorite demons. He's smooth, fun, and can dance!!
-Nicholas Brendan's arms look freakishly long.
-I'm so glad Buffy's secret is out. Stupid Scoobies should have to live with what they did. Grr.
-Spike singing. Oh. My. Yummy.
-The choreography on Buffy's final dance really bugs me for some reason.
-Tara is wearing some weird clothes for just every day when her and Willow are in the park.
-I want to smack Buffy in the head for the way she treats Giles. :( I don't want him to leave!!! You can tell how much he cares for her.
-My favorite line: "One more verse of our little ditty and I would have been running for a gas can." Heehee

Mai82Go

Townie
I just watched OmwF again and I realized something and wanted to ask if it has been discussed before or if anyone actually ever said something about it. Most of the time people realize and understand what the others sing. Like Spike to Buffy (because she later says "I thought you wanted me to leave you alone" or something) or when Buffy sings about Heaven - obviously they all hear what she is singing. Why though doesn't that happen with Giles when he is singing to Buffy? Or when Tara/Giles do their duet to Willow&Buffy in the Magic Box? The others don't notice. I think it's weird, but maybe there is some explanation I missed.

E
EffieT1
[No message]

patriot1123

... in a tutu. Pillock.
I love this episode. It's my second favorite of all behind "Grave." I love musicals, and for me this one works so well. It was lovely to hear the good voices (Tony, Amber, James, and of course Hinton Battle) and surprising to hear the ones that were really pretty good (Sarah, Emma), and it made me smile to hear the ones who were game to try it (Nick, Alyson, Michelle). I love every song on it except "I'll Never Tell," and I listen to at least one of the songs from it almost every day. Of course, my favorite song is (wait for it ...) Standing. (Wonder why.)

V
Vorchan
Giles really is the Father to the Scoobies.

PassionBecoming

Minuscule Redheaded One
Sineya
I just watched OmwF again and I realized something and wanted to ask if it has been discussed before or if anyone actually ever said something about it. Most of the time people realize and understand what the others sing. Like Spike to Buffy (because she later says "I thought you wanted me to leave you alone" or something) or when Buffy sings about Heaven - obviously they all hear what she is singing. Why though doesn't that happen with Giles when he is singing to Buffy? Or when Tara/Giles do their duet to Willow&Buffy in the Magic Box? The others don't notice. I think it's weird, but maybe there is some explanation I missed.
I wondered this as well. I thought the singing was Sweet's way of bringing secrets to the surface, so....yeah, I dunno.

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
you summarized in one line pretty much everything i wanted to say in this thread

white avenger

white avenger
This episode will always be special for me, because it was the first episode of the TV show that I ever saw. (That final kiss between Spike and Buffy was what recruited me to the Spuffy ship)

My favorite scene is when everybody realizes that they have to help Buffy. They're all marching along singing, and Spike finds himself in a blind alley. The Bloody Awful Poet with a bloody awful sense of direction.

O
OutForAWalk
I love Spike in this episode too!

drizzlydaze

The Bloody
Black Thorn
Obviously, she was in training montage land, so she couldn't hear Giles in musical world.

WillowHallow

Townie
I love this episode, and although I'm not a Spuffy shipper, I think there kiss at the end is sweet. However, Angel the Series kinda proved that Angel shouldn't have been in OMWF.
I think that the songs are good and funny, especially I've Got A Theory. This episode is the first episode I bought on DVD and it re-ignited my love for Buffy. I will always rememer this episode, and I'm pretty sure I will never get rid of my Buffy VHS tapes (all 7 seasons, cos I'm too poor to buy them on DVD) :eek:

E
EffieT1
Lol on the Angel point

Goby

Brb, shipping Snoyce
Sineya
I hate musicals. I hate that the lyrics usually don't mean anything. I hate that it makes no sense why people would sing. I usually hate the music (I love punk and metal). I just hate musicals!!!!!

And now that I've said all of that, I absolutely love OMWF. They had me at the credits. And Buffy's first song was brilliant and the brilliance continues.

I love that they sang their own songs. I love that there is only one professional singer (Not counting James and ASH). I love that the lyrics are brilliant. I love the music. I love the first Spuffy kiss. I love EVERYTHING about OMWF.

It seems like every time Joss has an idea that I think is stupid (starting with a show about a teenager named Buffy who kills vampires) he proves me wrong.

Definitely in my top 5 episodes of the Whedonverse, and possibly #3 (After The Body and Not Fade Away).

O
OutForAWalk
[No message]
E
EffieT1
when you started your comment thought I was gonna have to smack you through the computer but yay you turned it around

SallyCinnamon

You are my world.
Lovely to see you comment, you should do it more! I think that they remember all the otheg stuff, but buffy is so focussed in training that she doesn't hear anything.

Mai82Go

Townie
^Haha, thanks. :) I think it's just weird. It makes sense from a plot point of view. Because Buffy is in her own little world she doesn't realize that Giles is actually singing to her and then there is the slow-mo. But that explanation doesn't work for the scene with Tara and Giles in the Magic Box because Willow and Buffy are both there at the time. They also weren't far away, like in the mustard scene or the parking scene where other people sing and everybody still sees and hears it. An obvious plothole, I guess. But it makes for some great music. I love Standing and the reprise. And if they had really adressed the issues that were sung about that would have been too much conflict and themes for just that one episode. Overkill.

patriot1123

... in a tutu. Pillock.
The fact that the songs weren't heard by others for Standing and the reprise never bothered me. I just figured that some of the songs represented stuff being said out loud and some of the songs (these two at least) represented what the characters were thinking but not saying out loud.

Amethyst

Scooby
Sineya
I love that they did a musical! It's so different and funny! :D
Loving the singing demons LOL :D
Anthony and Amber's voices are just WOW! :D and I seriously want to own Willow and Tara's dresses from this episode! lol :D

Jules

Bite Me
Black Thorn
Amazing episode! All the songs are incredibly well written and the dance scenes are great, especially Anya's and Xander's. I liked how Tara found out about the spell Willow did and that the Scoobies found out that Buffy hadnt been in Hell, their reactions were heartbreaking.

Jules

Bite Me
Black Thorn
The behind the scenes feature for this episode is hillarious, watching Nick and Emma trying to record their song was so funny because Nick couldnt get the words out. It looked like a lot of hard work though.

The commentary is very good by Joss Whedon for this episode.

The first scene gives the viewers all the information they need about the characters; Buffy's not paying attention, Xander and Anya are getting married, Willow loves Tara and Giles is taking care of Dawn.

Buffy's first song is very Disney, its refered to as the ''I Want'' song, along the lines of Ariel's song from the Little mermaid etc.

Emma's heavy metal bunny song was done because Emma would sing heavy metal randomly between takes on other episodes so Joss put that in for her. Buffy's part of the song is to falsely imply that everything will be ok but what she's really saying is that she's bored and it doesnt mean anything to her. Giles is the last one to believe her.

Tara's song was the first song Joss wrote. Alyson begged to have the least singing parts as possible and so did Michelle. Michelle just wanted to dance.

There's actually 32 minutes of song in this episode.

The Xander/Anya scene is the comedy scene for this episode. Emma had had dancing experience but Nick hadnt.

When Anya, Xander and Giles are walking down the street the 3 men dancing with the brushes are the 2 vamps and the demon from the opening number and they are also Sweet's henchmen. The other two dancing characters in that scene are the choreographers.

Dawn's scene is showing the demon trying to get her to be more mature, which she has been saying she's ready for but now she's not sure.

When Giles is singing to Buffy its a very contradicting scene, he's singing about wanting to protect her while throwing knives at her. Having Buffy in slow motion in the scene and Giles in normal speed was to highlight how far apart they are.

Joss wrote a song called ''I'm Your Girl'' for Buffy to sing to Sweets but it got cut.

The two things that Joss wanted to show in this episode for the Buffy/Spike relationship was firstly for Spike to tell Buffy to go away because there's nothing that attracts a person more than rejection and secondly that he save her and give her the message of hope.

PassionBecoming
PassionBecoming
[No message]

Jeff86

Potential
I just watched this episode last night, and I'm still in love with it. I love musicals and I love Buffy, so this was such an awesome combination. This episode just makes me smile. My favorite songs have to be "I've Got A Theory," "Under Your Spell," "Standing," "Walk Through The Fire," and "Something To Sing About." Anthony Steward Head, Amber Benson, and James Marsters have excellent singing voices. I was also extremely impressed with Sarah Michelle Gellar's singing ability. I have to give her even more credit because Buffy's songs are for the most part the most complex to sing, especially "Something To Sing About." I am glad that Buffy's secret is out in this episode. I know the Scoobies meant well, but they did what they did for selfish reasons. They needed to know what happened to Buffy, and what she lost. Anyway, love this episode! :)

V

Vamp Jenny

First, I'm a sucker for musicals, so it's no surprise that I totally loved this episode.

But with all the little details (the choreographies from funny and simple to artistical contemporary, the funny lines/allusions to other episodes in every song, even the clothes going with each melodies), Joss made OMWF my fave episode ever.

Even the kiss, which I didn't like much in itself (a bit too harsh of a kiss for me, looked like they were about to eat each other's mouth), was magic because of the music that - in that specific moment - sounded just like the end of a Broadway musical.

And no wonder I know all the songs by heart. They're all so catchy :D

Top Bottom