• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 7.01 "Lessons" - Aired 9/24/02 (UPN-US)

Btvs fan

Scooby
It's not about the events but the metaphor, and how incongruous they are with each other. Now if it was done better that would be a different thing. The only funny part is here we all are trying to make sense of nonsensical season 7 again, showing that we care far more than the writers or even Joss did at that point.
I think Goddard and Deknight did a bit. They did the episode Damage on Angel and Dana feels like a direct criticism of the empowerment spell. Also its interesting that Dana never shows up again or is mentioned in the Buffy comics either

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
@Ethan Reigns It's not the same. Your astronaut chose to be an astronaut, she then worked hard and trained to be an astronaut. She was then rewarded for all that hard work by becoming an astronaut. She wasn't just given the astronaut title because she had the "potential" to be an astronaut and that's the fundamental difference here.

The activation spell is Whedon's "girl power" moment but it's undermined by being restricted to a few. As I said, in earlier seasons it seemed like any girl could've been the slayer, which means that any girl could've been empowered. However, by restricting that via introducing the potentials, it takes away the meaning. Just listen to Buffy's language "Are you ready to be strong?" By that logic any woman who isn't an activated potential therefore isn't "strong". Essentially the metaphor and what actually goes on doesn't mix.

Btvs fan

Scooby
@Ethan Reigns It's not the same. Your astronaut chose to be an astronaut, she then worked hard and trained to be an astronaut. She was then rewarded for all that hard work by becoming an astronaut. She wasn't just given the astronaut title because she had the "potential" to be an astronaut and that's the fundamental difference here.

The activation spell is Whedon's "girl power" moment but it's undermined by being restricted to a few. As I said, in earlier seasons it seemed like any girl could've been the slayer, which means that any girl could've been empowered. However, by restricting that via introducing the potentials, it takes away the meaning. Just listen to Buffy's language "Are you ready to be strong?" By that logic any woman who isn't an activated potential therefore isn't "strong". Essentially the metaphor and what actually goes on doesn't mix.
Also by having Buffy say I'm offering you a choice then doing a montage of a bunch of women and girls who weren't given a choice :confused:

Stake fodder

Soulless
I noticed a couple things that seem like continuity errors for the season, but maybe others have different explanations?

For one, the First is not supposed to be able to touch anything, yet here First-as-Drusilla touches Spike's cheek. She slightly ruffles his hair, so it's not that her hand just goes close to him.

Secondly, Spike strokes Buffy's cheek, too. Later, whenever he touches her, she recoils, but here she has no physical reaction.

Top Bottom