• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 7.06 "Him" - Aired 11/5/02 (UPN-US)

HisMrs

Scooby
Sineya
This episode is ok, but I find it more sad than funny. I don't like the undertone of how women would do anything or change anything about themselves just to get that guy they think they want. For me, it's another example of how preachy BtVS can be about certain things....

Charmander

Potential
Not keen on Buffy's fringe. (bangs)
It's still so uncomfortable to watch the scenes with Dawn humiliating herself, especially her cheerleading routine. I think it was worse because the popular kids at Dawn seem more realistic rather than the stereotypical ones in Buffy's year like Cordelia and Harmony.
The "skank" scene is hilarious and I love Xander's reaction once he realises who it is.
I hate to think what would have happened to Buffy if a teacher had caught her in the room with RJ. With all the news reports on this kind of thing it doesn't make the scene seem so funny anymore.
Just noticed "Warning Sign" by Coldplay in the background when Dawn's looking for RJ.
It doesn't really get funny until both Anya and Willow are under the spell and they're all competing against one another since the start of the episode is a bit too much like BBB, which was done better for the most part, although I hate how it makes Buffy seem gullible enough to fall for it twice.

gite63

Gone
Sineya
Funny episode! I love the scene where Buffy is trying to kill the Principal with the rocket launcher: it's so well done, with Wood completely unaware of what is happening outside and the music playing. And The Plan: Xander and Spike on a mission! :)

Willow and Anya interaction was great :), and Dawn dancing and making Xander go all "daddy like" - who would think that a few years ahead they would be together? ;) And Xander remembering his experience with love spells going bad - a fond memory...

Buffy was so cute in the scene where she delivers Spike at Xander's apartment: the way she looks, the way she talks. And it's cool that she acknowledges that Anya is one of her friends, and wants her close.

An interesting bit is when Spike turns the angels on the shelf, its backs to him.

And a continuity error: when Dawn leaves Wood's office she forgets her purse hanging in the chair and on the next scene in the corridor, she is with it.

Last edited:

Mr Trick

Scooby
Okay, so I think it was a fairly entertaining episode, but we did this already. They shouldn't have had to recycle the same basic idea from a previous episode. Love spell...this time caused by an enchanted high school jacket. Anyway.

There were some terrific moments though so I didn't complain for too long while watching. Dawn had some really funny moments, and a lot of the exchanges between Anya and Willow were incredibly funny, e.g. when Anya says she would kill for him and Willow responds with "you'd kill for a chocolate bar". And Buffy...you know, she's really cute when she is herself, but I don't think anything beyond it. But then, when she really turns it on and gets aggressive with her flirtation...suddenly I think, wow, you can be really hot when you want to be! She seems much harder to resist that way.

The end was also really funny. Xander-"Do you understand the plan?" Spike "Yeah". And then all they do is run up to him really fast and take the jacket off of him and run away. I'm not sure that even qualifies as a plan (okay, a really simple one), but hey that was the point, it was funny. lol.
That is a problem and of course they don't do it nearly as well or interesting as BB&B. That felt like more than just a very entertaining one-off comedy episode. The other problem is that this felt too much like an episode of Dawson's Creek (something that Buffy sidesteps for the most part), with a bit of network TV sitcom thrown in. Buffy as a show falls down when the humour becomes too sitcomey. And I just found the gags lame.

K
katmobile
There's some funny bits like the rocket launcher scene and the Willow/Anya conversation and Willow and Xander being thirsty for Dawn until they realise it's Dawn. However it's just filler really.

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
Xander, niether of them are good options...

Buffy, you are definitely helping Spike out of pity...

Buffy looks like she is in high school here :)

Dawn, be careful...

Poor Anya :(

Dawn, don't be nervous, tell him how you really feel :)

Socially awkward Dawn :D

Dawn, Buffy's cheerleading outfit looks awful on you...

I like awkward Dawn...

Xander, it's not a snit...

Ding dong the ugly outfit is dead :D

Dawn's a bit out of her mind, but at least it's normal...

At least Dawn is past the "get out" phase...

I think RJ put a spell on Dawn...

Dawn isn't a bad liar, so she got away with it :p

I don't watch Monty Python, but everyone knows the Spanish Inquisison quote...

That's Dawn :eek:

Really ??? Dawn looks way better than Anna Nicole Smith ever looked...

Buffy, stop being a hypocrite... :mad:

Wood is sarcastic :D

Buffy is falling for that spell...:rolleyes:

Buffy, do not have sex with him :mad:

Dawn is seriously crushing...:rolleyes:

6x+y=16, I'll need another equation to solve this...

Buffy, if you have sex with RJ, you are officially an even bigger hypocrite...

Buffy, you are a hypocrite and you got busted by Dawn...

How didn't Buffy get fired ??? o_O

Buffy is the biggest hypocrite in the verse :mad:

So RJ got into magic ??? o_O

RJ :eek:

Anya and Willow are under his spell too, and Willow is a lesbian...

Dawn :mad:

Yay Xander :D

Wood is left handed, just like Giles and Spike.

At least Buffy saved Dawn :D

So the jacket had a spell on it ??? o_O

Next time: Xander's absent while the surviving Trio members return to Sunnydale.

NeonSlayer
NeonSlayer
You couldn't tell as soon as Buffy started flirting with RJ that she was dosed with a love spell?
K
katmobile
Above comment seconded

Priceless

Scooby
This isn't about the lettermans jacket or the love spell, Xander solves that mystery pretty early on. It's about Buffy and Love and what love has been for her. It's about closing the door on the past and moving forward.

Spike only has about 6 lines in the whole episode, the first being in the 'previously on' when he says 'I don't have anywhere else to go' and then subsequently when he moves in with Xander. He doesn't speak again for the rest of the episode. That's because it isn't about him, he is future love, this episode is about past loves.

Dawn decides she doesn't care for love, it's a fools game, and the having or not having of a soul seems to make no differences. She says 'you put all this energy into chasing and having and brooding . . . ', which to me is a direct reference to Angel.

Here we see the high school girl (substitute Buffy) fallling the for handsome leading man of the football team, (substitute Angel). It has all the melodrama of the earlier relationship. Love spells work as a metaphor for young love, in that your emotions take over and you can't fight it. We even have a flashback to a love spell to remind us how dangerous it can be.

We see Xander and Buffy as parents to Dawn again. There is even flirty banter;
Buffy 'I dont want a new cheerleading outfit', Xander 'Don't be too hasty', this was very much their early season realtionship. Buffy hands him her torn up cheerleading outfit, reminding us of The Witch, when Buffy tried out for cheer squad but also when Xander gave her that bracelet with LOVE on it, reminding us the this episode is about Buffys Past Loves.

Buffy and Dawn quarrel 'You don't know him' Buffy says, Dawn answers 'I do know him, I know his soul', reminiscent of Buffy speaking of Angel and Dawn calls Buffy 'The Dysfunction Queen' and 'you don't know what real love is'. Loving RJ doesn't make Dawn a better person, she pushes O'Donnell down the stairs and then lies about it. Real love is meant to elevate and make you better, while this kind of love makes you angry and petty and dangerous.

In the Bronze we have a lovely moment were Xander calls himself Daddy, remember when Warren did it and Xander told him it was creepy :), well Xander proves the truth of it.

Buffy and Dawn argue and once again Buffy's past is bought back into it with Dawn saying 'You've always been the special one. Hot little Buffy with her boyfriends. The Slayer. And now someone likes me, and you just can't stand that I'm getting the attention' - another reference to Buffys past. When Xander and Spike visit RJ's brother, Spike does not speak, but he turns a ceramic angel away from him, to face the wall.

Buffy seducing RJ is similar to IOHEFY, they even use an old song to represent RJ and the spell, as they did in the season 2 ep. Here Buffy is playing Angel and RJ is playing Buffy's part, in that both of them wanted sex, but neither of them really understands the consequences of their actions.

The comedy of Willow, Anya and Buffy doing ridiculous things to win RJ's love, even when Anya doesn't even know his name and Willow doesn't fancy men, but that's the effect love has on you. Buffy's use of a rocket launcher is another call-back to a past episode 'Innocence' where Buffy wakes up to an empty bed after losing her virginity to Angel.

So for me this episode is a call back to the past, to Buffy's love life prior to Spike and how she behaved very much as though she were under a spell. Now, she is moving towards something different.

Ethanrayne

Townie
I love this episode! Must be the funniest in season 7, it reminds me of s 1-3 a lot. Really liked seing buffys old cheerleading uniform for some reason.
However it's been bothering me so much how old the scoobies act, i think they're supposed to be 22? so they're the same age as me but i still relate way more to Dawn when it comes to age. Guess that's what happens when you cast actors almost a decade older then they're supposed to be :p

Out for a walk

5 Words Or Less...
Once again Xander with the inappropriate comments at the Bronze. Even though he didn't know it was Dawn, she was still obviously a teenager. He gets away with way too many comments like this.

GraceK

Grr Arrg
Once again Xander with the inappropriate comments at the Bronze. Even though he didn't know it was Dawn, she was still obviously a teenager. He gets away with way too many comments like this.
The character of Xander is supposed to be 22. That’s pretty damn young himself. His ex fiancé at the point , Anya is over 1000 years old. Double standard? Also, from the back in that scene, Dawn could pass for at least 18, maybe older, so “obviously a teenager” is pushing it. Also, Willow , who is standing right next to him, has the exact same response to Dawn and also makes a remark. I notice that tends to get overlooked in the rush to condemn Xander for the crime of existing.

NeonSlayer
NeonSlayer
Xander might've still been 21, Buffy was.

Out for a walk

5 Words Or Less...
The character of Xander is supposed to be 22. That’s pretty damn young himself. His ex fiancé at the point , Anya is over 1000 years old. Double standard? Also, from the back in that scene, Dawn could pass for at least 18, maybe older, so “obviously a teenager” is pushing it. Also, Willow , who is standing right next to him, has the exact same response to Dawn and also makes a remark. I notice that tends to get overlooked in the rush to condemn Xander for the crime of existing.

I haven't watched this episode much. So, I honestly missed Willow's comments, since I had this on in the background just now. I wouldn't condone her saying it as well. I am not really a Xander fan and I get quite annoyed by him. So his comment just stuck out for me, probably since this is a "typical" Xander comment.

GraceK

Grr Arrg
I haven't watched this episode much. So, I honestly missed Willow's comments, since I had this on in the background just now. I wouldn't condone her saying it as well. I am not really a Xander fan and I get quite annoyed by him. So his comment just stuck out for me, probably since this is a "typical" Xander comment.
That’s fair. I admit I’m a little defensive when it comes to Xander ;)

Out for a walk

5 Words Or Less...
That’s fair. I admit I’m a little defensive when it comes to Xander ;)

No problem, I understand. I also forget that he is supposed to be in his early 20's, since Nicholas looks so much older and was what early 30's in this season.

Cohen

Warrior
The best thing about this episode is the fact that it’s the last “fun” episode of the series. I really wish the rest of the season wasn’t so arc-heavy and didn’t involve hundreds of potentials that took storylines from the rest of the core characters. I like that this episode allowed all of the Scoobies to have comedic moments. With the rest of the season so dramatic, this was a good one to have.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Xander had an interrupted sex dream about the potentials in "Dirty Girls". When he was woken up by Rona, he had "leg cramp" to sort before he could fix the toilet.

Got to feel sorry for him though, he gets woken up and the first thing he hears is that the toilet is backed up and one of the potentials has stomach flu.

thrasherpix

Scooby
Having a sexual dream is in no way shady or wrong. You can't control dreams or feelings. It's his behavior that counts, so that if he acted towards one or more of them the way Spike did Buffy in season 5 (or actually even less than that, which he did not) THEN it would be worth pointing out. If anything, it shows his strength of character that he can be attracted without being an undisciplined or entitled creep about it.

But really, most people just look for excuses to hate Xander rather than having reasons, because those reasons apply only to Xander and not anyone else who displays the same or worse (and on top of that, some just make stuff up).

TriBel

Scooby
Having a sexual dream is in no way shady or wrong.
Agree
You can't control dreams or feelings.
Agree
if he acted towards one or more of them the way Spike did Buffy in season 5 (or actually even less than that, which he did not) THEN it would be worth pointing out.
Dreams are allegedly the "royal road to the unconscious". Following that logic, what Xander's fantasy seems to indicate is an unconscious desire for sex with someone significantly younger than himself (note: this is not a criticism of Xander. I'm not suggesting anything untoward and the age difference is relative). Combined with the scene in the Bronze when he makes the comments about Dawn together with his "extraordinary" speech to her; the fact that from S8 through to S12 there's been an "on/off" relationship between them that culminates in a baby, and the fact that she was mistakenly identified as a potential (so the potentials in his dream are a "misidentification" or a displacement of Dawn), can't we say that he DOES, in reality, play out the fantasy (or act on his dream) in the long term?

In fact, I'd go as far as saying that ALL relationships in BtVS are rooted in male fantasy and it's this fantasy that's ultimately responsible for female oppression. This isn't "blaming men" as such since women are equally at fault - they inevitably buy into the fantasy (in fact, without buying into the fantasy a sense of self couldn't emerge). What I'm suggesting is that patriarchy is not simply something we can legislate against - it's structural underpinning is unconscious desire.

IMO, Xander is incredibly important to S7 (and I know @sosa lola disagrees with me on this). Spuffy might dominate the story but much of the discourse runs through Xander. I don't think it's coincidence that the series ends with Xander's loss mirroring Buffy's.

spikenbuffy

"Why can't I stay"
Staff member
Poor Dawn!!!!!!!, I feel Dawn's pain of being humiliated. When I was a teenager I could see that scene (Dawn in Cheerleader) without having a problem with it but then I grow older and I don't know I started to really find Dawn falling hard on the ground and humiliated with people looking at her, disturbing and a little less easily to watch that when I was younger.

spikenbuffy

"Why can't I stay"
Staff member
Buffy looks great, sexy and is also hilarious all along this episode when she's making out with rj, Xander comes, she isn't embarrassed or anything about Xander's interruption, she's like "Hey Xander hi, it's rj":D. Also Spike stopping Buffy trying to kill Woods with a rocket launcher is hilarious.:p Dawn is also great in the Bronze.

FaithLehane16

"Tact is not saying true stuff. I'll pass."
Anya robbing a bank. Willow trying to turn RJ into a girl. Priceless moments hahaha. One of my favorites in season 7 because it reminded me of the first 3 seasons so much.
This is how I felt while watching it. It was like a Dawnverse version of Bewitched, Bothered, Bewildered. It was so funny.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Have to say this has gone up for me on a re-watch. I actually enjoyed it second time around. It feels like a standalone but a lot of fun :)

Top Bottom