• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 7.11 "Showtime" - Aired 1/07/03 (UPN-US)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Potential Slayers are arriving from around the world, seeking shelter in Sunnydale. Some of them, however, are starting to doubt that Buffy will be able to protect them from the First Evil. Giles and Anya seek answers and learn of a weakness in the Slayer line. Meanwhile, the Scoobies are rushing to fortify their defenses because nightfall will bring the Turok-Han.
Source: TV.com

Discuss this episode here!

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
Hmm, Spike beats the Bringer & Buffy rescues him. We think it's really happening, but it's just a dream/fantasy. Interesting that in the same year, Angel has a similar (albeit more detailed & longer) fantasy of beating the Beast & getting together with Cordy while his soul is getting extrated. Again, it's a surprise at the end that it's not happening for real.

Anyway, I know that everyone says that Kennedy is so annoying, but she's the only one willing to "man up" here. I'm tired of the other Potentials' whining. I love Beljoxa's Eye- it's so gross LOL! Eve being the First...I didn't see that coming at all. Camden Toy is so awesome, but I'm assuming that a stunt double does most of the fighting- does anybody know for sure?

Love the Mad Max allusion.

Love-
Willow: I felt it just surging through me, every fiber of my being. Pure, undiluted evil. I could taste it.
Kennedy: How does evil taste?
Willow: A little chalky.

Spike's reliance on Buffy's belief in him is touching: "She will come for me", as is the final scene.

Anya cracks me up, & I am so enjoying her inclusion in the Scoobies. "what am I a leper in this town. I can't even give it away." LOL

Andrew wants to play Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon & tv.com does it for us:
Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon states that all actors can be connected to Kevin Bacon via co-stars in six movies (or TV shows, if they are a regular and not a guest). For example, stretching the rules to say Tom Lenk is a "Buffy" regular, one can say: Tom Lenk -> Alyson Hannigan (BtVS)-> Tara Reid (American Pie) -> John Turturro (The Big Lebowski) -> Danny Aiello (Do The Right Thing) -> Charlize Theron (2 Days in the Valley) -> Kevin Bacon (Trapped).
Andrew says, "I'm bored. Episode 1 bored." Is he referring to Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace?

Black Thorn
That new Potential Slayer isnt going to be very good as a Slayer, she's only come to Sunnydale for protection and she's little miss negative. If I was Buffy I'd have fed her to that Ubervamp. Bless Spike for still believing Buffy would come for him. I absolutely love that Willow, Buffy and Xander were talking telepathically and they made that cool plan to watch Buffy fight the Ubervamp.

Sineya
OK, I just watched the episode again and I would like some clarification from any lip-readers here: What is Anya actually saying to Tork, the demon who opens the portal to Beljoxa's Eye? It's like a bad kung-fu movie where the audio doesn't synchronize even slightly with the lip movement - Anya is seen to be saying a lot of things but the spoken word audio is much more sparse and some of it seems to come when her lips are not moving.

Anyone?

PassionBecoming
PassionBecoming
I thought I was seeing things!!!
Black Thorn
I hate that scene for that very reason. If it was done on purpose, why? And if it was done accidentally, how?

I found the episode to feel contrived in parts. Buffy's monologue, just annoyed me, although it was necessary given the situation. Better than ''bring on the night''.

Sineya
Please excuse my masculine powers of observation here:

How did Willow get that big in the bustline when she was lying down in the sleeping bag talking to Kennedy? Maybe she has managed to pull off some real magic here - she always had a very slim figure and suddenly she's swimsuit edition material. Then in later scenes when she is not lying down, she is back to her usual slim self (but with more of a bustline than she had in earlier seasons), the opposite of how it works in real life.

Meanwhile, Buffy, who started out with an enviable figure in Season 1 is starting to look like Willow.

PassionBecoming

Minuscule Redheaded One
Sineya
-Now, as a Potential, why on earth would you plan an arrival in Sunnydale after dark?
-"Her is me." Simple as that, Buffy. :)
-Ah, Kennedy. Spoiled, rich brat.
-All those girls in one house. I would go insane. Why not bring some to Anya and/or Xander's? I'm assuming ubervamp can't get into a house without invites?
-So is The First keeping Spike alive because it wants to use him for evil or for bait?
-"Those were entrails." Heehee. Anya's past...
-Big floaty eye. Ew.
-Dawn does have a point about the Potentials.
-Weight of the world on her shoulders. Yeeeup. Season 5 summed that up.
-Love Buffy giving Andrew a dirty look while storming into the house.
-That wily First Evil, all hiding in the house in plain sight.
-Hindsight makes the scene around the table make so much more sense.
-I do give Kennedy credit for wanting to fight. Better to do that than sit around and do nothing.
-Scoobie scene in the kitchen. <3
-"Facing my fear..." Reminds me of "Fear, Itself". Lots of flashbacks these eps!
-So is Willow going to tread the cusp of evil every time she tries magic?
-Anya's soul must be working. "We're the reason those girls are dead". And the realization it wasn't a good move to bring Buffy back keeps making me sad.
-So, how did vampires evolve into being less powerful??
-Ubervamp angry. Ubervamp knock over wheelbarrow.
-Construction site smackdowns. Lots of fun things to play with there.
-"Here endeth the lesson." Done.
-Buffy always comes for one of her own, Spike. Always.

Felicia Day! *fangirls* I would totally watch a spin-off with her as a slayer.

Rhonda is really annoying. I don't like pessimists very much. :(

The ending scene with Spike and Buffy was adorable.

Ethan Reigns
Ethan Reigns
Felicia Day all the way! Another fan here.

AnthonyCordova

The ooze that eats itself
Sineya
Another question: we keep hearing that The First can only take the form of dead people...so why can it take the form of Buffy with Spike? Is it because in some weird way she is dead? Does the answer come later in the season? If so, someone please tell me that much (without a big spoiler).

The First is also taking the form of Druscilla...is that because she is dead now too? Or is it because she is a vampire (and they are undead)? That probably is the reason why, since it takes Spike's form when it talks to Spike...anyway, a little clarification would help.

Lyri

Buckle Up Tight
Sineya
Buffy and Drusilla have both died - Buffy twice, in 'Prophecy Girl' and 'The Gift', and Drusilla when Angelus sired her. That's all there is to it.

AnthonyCordova

The ooze that eats itself
Sineya
okay, kind of a stupid question then. So The First can take the form of Buffy because she has died before. I was thinking it might be suggesting something weird, like Buffy isn't completely alive or something. Willow's reincarnation spell had a hitch after all, or something. Thanks.

Although maybe they should have Buffy say it can take the form "of people who have died" as opposed to "people who are dead". That was the part that threw me off.

Lyri

Buckle Up Tight
Sineya
As far as I can remember (I'm only on S3 of my rewatch) no one is actually aware that The First has taken Buffy's form at this point - only Spike has seen it so far.

Sineya
The Potentials are really annoying; I understand that they are just kids, but their non stop whining is very tiresome. I particularly don't like when the scene gets crowded, in movies or TV shows, so the Summer's house full of unknown characters bothers me. In this scenario, the only one who stands up is Kennedy - always being brave and wanting to fight. I liked her smile at the end of the lesson - it was a nice "apology" to her rude commentary at the door ("This is a Slayer?").

Nice touch Buffy, Willow and Xander talking to each other telepathically and then leaving quietly a heated discussion with unprepared and scared Potentials to come up with a plan...

Poor Anya, she is giving it away and anybody seems to want it... maybe it is the hair after all. And poor Giles, having to endure the details of Anya's date with the demon... :)

On a more serious note, she saying that all the deaths are because of her (and Willow, Xander and Tara)... sad. :(

Eve is dead and the First is at the Summer's house. So, "Eve" is sitting on the floor between two Potentials, and they don't touch each other, even slightly. :rolleyes:

Buffy and her lesson - fierce fighter this girl when she is focused on the mission, I'm pround of her; besides, Spike was running out of time... ;)

And he believed in her: "She will come for me." And against the First Evil's wishes, she went. The way they looked at each other...

Last edited:

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
More potentials...:rolleyes:

I think this means more dead potentials...

Rona, Sunnydale is never safe...

Willow, sleep on your own bed...

Kennedy must have come from a rich family.

Even more potentials...:rolleyes:

Andrew should at least get a bed to sleep on, a chair will do things to his body...

Andrew, do you want to do Spike or something ??? o_O

Spike's fighting back with his lower half, better than nothing...

Can I kill the first, please ??? o_O

I never saw Giles go this long without cleaning his glasses...:eek:

Potentials, you must train...:rolleyes:

Nope, nobody lives forever, not even lizard people...

No :(

Yeah, why are slayers girls ??? o_O

Dawn, a soul is not an excuse...:rolleyes:

Dawn, I think he's speaking James Bond-ish...

Andrew makes way too much pop culture references...:mad:

The First as Eve :eek:

How is Buffy responsible for that ??? o_O

Poor Spike :(

Andrew, the holy water will help you :)

Training must have helped :)

It's all Willow's fault, I really hate her right now...

Andrew's got a lot of conditions...:rolleyes:

It's showtime, what show will we be getting ??? ;)

A nooze, and he got beheaded :D

The first :eek:

Spike is out :D

Next time: Even more potentials...:rolleyes:

'Showtime' works on two levels, so an episode about the begining, but also about what is shown and not shown to us and how we interpret that.

A lone potential gets off a bus to begin her life Sunnydale. She is attacked for the first time and rescued by Buffy saying 'next time you're attacked . . . ', Rona replies 'Next time? You say I'm going to get attacked again?' and Buffy says 'Welcome to the hellmouth'. I thought that was a lovely call back :)

We see the begining of the Kennedy and Willow relationship. They are getting to know each other and Kennedy asks to see Willow float something, a call back to one of the first spells Willow learnt to do. We move downstirs to the potentials discussing what they expected from a slayer. Andrew tells us exactly where we are 'I'm bored. Episode one bored'

Spike is dreaming of being rescued by Buffy. He also sees Buffy as The First, telling him that Buffy will never put herself at risk to rescue him, but Spike has a mantra 'She will come for me. She will come for me. She will come for me'. Spike is choosing to believe what he sees in his mind as opposed to what he is being told.

Giles and Anya go to visit an Oracle and we learn that Anya is no longer accepted as part of the demon community because of how she is now seen. The Oracle tells them that the future cannot be seen, that only the now is seeable and that they bought this upon themselves by bringing Buffy back, or that's how Anya chooses to interpret what the Oracle told them.

The biggest 'show' in the episode is Eve, seen as one of the potentials. But later, when the Devonshire witches 'see' her, the Eve we are seeing is really The First. She is manipulating the other potentials, and is incredibly creepy when she talks about waiting for each other to die.

Xander, Buffy and Willow communicate telepathically, the potentials, Dawn and Andrew are excluded and are not shown the plan. This fits with the theme but also works to create a bigger and better final 'show' for them.

Showtime for the potentials begins on a building site, the beginings of a new library, a reference to the old school library. Buffy tells them that no matter how bad it looks, or how terrified you feel, she can always find a way to defeat the monsters. She is the thing that monsters have nightmares about. Buffy of course kills the Turok Han in a great fight scene, and says
'See? Dust. Just like the rest of 'em. I don't know what's coming next, but I do know it's gonna be just like this. Hard. Painful. But in the end it's gonna be us. If we all do our parts, believe it, we'll be the ones left standing. Here endeth the lesson'

The episode ends with Spike who has learnt this lesson well. He bellieves that she will come for him, and he is right. His belief is rewarded when Buffy rescues him.

In this episode, we have the Potential Slayers panicking and doubting Buffy, Buffy and Willow and Xander contriving a plan, Anya and Giles paying Beljoxa's Eye a visit, the ultimate showdown between Buffy and the ancient vampire, and Spike finally being rescued.

The Potentials doubting Buffy is a necessary, albeit annoying, part of the storyline. Dissent, distrust, and doubt are all part of the gradual process of forming a cohesive army to fight the enemy. Kennedy is rather eager to jump towards Buffy's rescue, I've noticed, though.

This episode's name clearly shows when Buffy, Willow, and Xander spend a part of the episode "playwrighting," planning their moves later against the vampire paying them a visit. And Buffy and the vampire eventually end up facing one another, the climax of this "show." They fight one another, and Buffy ends up winning. But what makes Buffy win this time, as opposed to the other time they fought in which the vampire beat her senseless? I'm not sure myself, but I can tell at what part of the battle the tide of the battle turned so that she gained the upper hand: the part when the vampire is holding her up by the throat, and she breaks the arrow plunged into his chest and sticks it into his eye. Maybe something clicked within her as she was choking in his grasp... Determination to prove those Potentials that she - and they - have it within themselves to fight the First? To prove to herself this exact message? Desire to save Spike (who is if not someone who she has romantic feelings for, at least a friend)? Tired of the feeling of hiding, of being thrown around by the First, of not being able to do anything but run?

The episode ended with a bittersweet scene of Buffy rescuing Spike. It was heart-wrenching to see Spike in so much pain, but when he realizes that the real Buffy, not an image of Buffy conjured up by the First, has come to rescue him, you can just tell how oh so grateful he is, with his slight smile and completely morphed expression of relief - that he's saved, and also that he wasn't wrong about Buffy believing in him all along. And Buffy's expression when she sees him, tortured and beaten, is heart-wrenching as well; you can just tell she is hurting for him, with her tearful expression looking on him with utter sympathy and pain.

Oh and, one last thing. When Anya and Giles ask the Eye about the First and how to defeat it, the Eye (ok and side note: the Eye looked absolutely ew omg I was dying when parts of it kept bulging out) informs them that a disruption caused by the Slayer herself incited the First to seize this moment to begin killing the Slayer and Potentials. I don't know about you, but when I first heard this, I immediately thought of Spike and Buffy because 1) they happened only like a season before and 2) a vampire and a Slayer? definitely not the natural order of things. But anyways, according to this episode, it was just Buffy being brought back to life, so haha nvm.

Top Bottom