• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 7.15 "Get It Done" - Aired 2/18/03 (UPN-US)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Principal Wood gives Buffy a bag of items that used to belong to his mother, the Slayer Nikki Wood. The bag contains various items including weapons, a book, and a strange sealed box. Opening the box leads to enchanted shadow puppets and a chance for Buffy to gain incredible power. Now she must decide whether the power is worth the price.
Source: TV.com

Discuss this episode here!

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
First, a couple of questions: Where does this episode's title come from? I don't see a connection. Except maybe a theme of "Get off your ass, people & get it done!". Where's Giles? I know he's not in every season 7 ep, but he's never mentioned. He was there last ep, and all pissed off at the end, and now he's not here. Going to pick up another Potential, perhaps? I would've thought he would be interested in seeing the puppet show & hearing about the origins of the 1st slayer.

Other than those 2 things, of course I liked this episode, it's epic. A few Restless references here: the Slayer chained up, the demon essence inside the 1st Slayer & all Slayers (remember Buffy tells Adam "We're not demons" and he says "Is that so?", & the mud Buffy puts on her face).

Loved Willow finally owning her power, at least a little bit.

Some funny stuff, too:

Spike: You're like a dog with a bone.
Anya: So what?
Spike: It's my bone! [actually, that entire Spike/Anya interaction was awesome!]

then Anya says "But you fought like such a wimpire." LMAO- that's the 1st and only time we hear that phrase in the Buffyverse, & it's classic Anya!

Love Spike's "Get up, get out, get drunk. Repeat as needed". Wow are there days I feel like that. :)

Andrew was hilarious here, with the oven mitts especially- " Where the hell have you been? This funnel cake is kicking my ass!" And his big board. Now, supposedly that's a reference to Dr. Strangelove, but I"ve never seen it. I just love Andrew's Big Boards, loved 'em in season 6, loved 'em now. Almost good as Giles' overheads in Hush, and his slayer flashcards in First Date. When Buffy says "We got a bunch of fighters with nothing to hit. A Wicca who won't-a and the brains of our operation wears oven mitts", was she referring to Andrew as "the brains"?!

And does the portal "exchange" thing remind anyone else of the portal in season 8's Time of Your Life arc, where Buffy goes to Fray's time?

---------- Post added at 02:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 AM ----------

The BBC says that "the Slayer bag that once belonged to Nikki Wood is the one full of mud seen in Buffy's Restless dream." And that the desert scenes are filmed in New Mexico.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/buffy/indetail/getitdone/trivia.shtml

Has anyone else noticed that when Buffy jumps through the portal, her boots change? She goes from small, pointy heels to big, chunky ones. Am I the only one to notice that?

S
soulunsung
I was wondering when someone else was gonna pick up on that.

StarSlayer

Defender of Spuffy
First, a couple of questions: Where does this episode's title come from? I don't see a connection. Except maybe a theme of "Get off your ass, people & get it done!".
Yep, pretty much. :)

I've been carrying you"”all of you"”too far, too long. Ride's over.

The First isn't impressed. It already knows us. It knows what we can do, and it's laughing. You want to surprise the enemy? Surprise yourselves. Force yourself to do what can't be done, or else we are not an army"”we're just a bunch of girls waiting to be picked off and buried.

S
soulunsung
Oooh, good quote! ;)

Nathan

Potential
Loved this ep; the cliffhanger (if you can call it that?) was so epic. She came back kinda baffled, and I remember thinking "what the hell did they show her?"
Did NOT expect the masses of undead uber-vamps preparing to go to war.

Black Thorn
Was Buffy's dream at the beginning a prophetic one for Chloe? I mean she was crying in the corner all alone in Buffy's dream. Also, since when is Anya not friends with any of the Scoobies. In a previous episode Buffy went round to see Anya because she classed her as a friend (this was after tha stabbing insident) and Anya was very touched by this, but come this episode she's not her friend and she wants to leave her in the Shadowland!

I loved Willow's scene when she comes out into the garden and Principal Wood is there and she's trying to think of things to say. Its so funny.

STRONG TRIGGER WARNING
This is an episode I've always had strong feelings towards. Thinking about it fuels me with anger, hatred, sadness and horror for the disgusting treatment the writers gave Chloe. We see Chloe, buried as if she was a dog run over. We have Buffy, who calls Chloe an ''idiot'' ''stupid'' and ''weak''.

After I saw this episode today, still shaken, I looked online to see if anyone had similar viewpoints to me on this episode. And I saw a very, interesting thread.
https://www.buffy-boards.com/archive/index.php/t-57780.html

And what do you know, it's in the Sunnydale Cemetery, so I couldn't share my opinion on that particular thread, flat out press the disagree button to anyone that called Chloe stupid, or weak, or that suicide in general was selfish. So I decided to write my feelings towards that scene, as well as the episode as a whole, here. It did make me smile to anyone that expressed disappointment or anger at how the issue was written. However, shame on you who defend Buffy, or call Chloe weak, selfish, stupid or not even recognize that she is a fifteen year old girl, and when I was fifteen, I was self harming, choking myself, attempting to drown in the bathroom. So when I saw Chloe, who I knew as Miranda from Lizzie McGuire, hang herself, it reminded me of my experience. It was just a plot device, an unnecessary trigger for me, and anyone that had gone through depression, suicidal attempts, a family member that might have killed themselves. Purely insensitive on so many levels
I feel a very strong need to say this: There is only one opinion that I view as complete fact in pretty much the Whedonverse, that the way Buffy treated Chloe was completely awful, terrible, unforgivable, disgraceful, etc. And by ''fact'' I mean it like a scientist explaining oxygen. Because to attempt to kill yourself, those moments between death, counting down what time you have left is beyond depression, loneliness, sadness, despair. Your body is pretty much tormenting you, you feel like a dirty vessel for something dirtier underneath.

Moving onto the rest of this episode:
-C'mon, writers, Anya provides much more than 'sarcasm'. There are scenes in season 7 of actively helping the potentials, cleaning wounds, helping with household work. And in the Gift, she didn't have witchcraft or slayer strength. She had a baseball bat. She was throwing suggestions to Buffy ''Olaf's hammer'' ''Dagon Sphere''

-I felt sorry for Spike. Wow, I actually felt sorry for Spike. ''bring a cell phone'' that was way harsh, Buffy.

-Overall, really generic episode. Lighting is annoying and cheap, the portal is unoriginal, kind of like a left over scrap from an Angel episode. Directing is unimaginative.

I'd give it a really, very, very rare 1/100.

Charmander
Charmander
[No message]
I find it weird how much Buffy and Anya supposedly dislike each other, considering that they seemed to be getting along only one episode earlier. I guess after Anya had been with the scoobies for so long I just assumed that all the others liked her.

Yes, the Chloe thing was handled really badly. It's alright for Buffy to call her weak, she's had years more experience. Chloe was really young, away from her family, and who knows what the First told her?

I didn't like Buffy's harsh words to them at all, especially when she just expected a way to get her out of the portal and left them all there. They were all very aware of the seriousness of it all.

I find it weird how much Buffy and Anya supposedly dislike each other, considering that they seemed to be getting along only one episode earlier. I guess after Anya had been with the scoobies for so long I just assumed that all the others liked her.

Yes, the Chloe thing was handled really badly. It's alright for Buffy to call her weak, she's had years more experience. Chloe was really young, away from her family, and who knows what the First told her?

I didn't like Buffy's harsh words to them at all, especially when she just expected a way to get her out of the portal and left them all there. They were all very aware of the seriousness of it all.
Going to be nitpicky, but it's not alright -at- all for what she said about Chloe. Having 'life experience'- well, so? That doesn't make it better- if anything it is worse. I mean, a child could be excused by being naive- but statement's like that are pure ignorance and simplistic.

About Buffy / anya: yeah, I get the confusion, I'm confused too. I think Spike is important with this, Anya is probably annoyed that Buffy is just letting triggered Spike walk along, didn't go for the immediate kill like she did with Anya. I think it really showed at the end of First Date... she showed greater concern for Spike's bruises when Xander was gutted. I side with Anya pretty much for everything concerning her against Buffy, and the line that 'what is it that you do here' is complete rubbish.

Wesley Pryce
Wesley Pryce
[No message]

PassionBecoming

Minuscule Redheaded One
Sineya
-ooo,velour for Buffy
-There are way too many girls in that house.
-Ah, the First Slayer. Always out to help.
-Anya and Spike are kind of cute together. Especially Anya hitting on Spike
Heh.
-The Hellmouth percolating. Heh.
-Andrew is our...hostage. yes.
-I wonder if Buffy's neighbors ever try spyingon her. They would be confused.
-"So.much cooler than Snyder."
-And again with the people not getting what happens when a demon gets a soul. A gray area, but why not listen to the explanation?
-UGH, Chloe.
-so, how do they just bury Chloe?Wouldn't her parents know where she is?
-And here is where I start to really dislike Kennedy. And when the Scoobies get out of line.
-Not sure why Buffy is turning on Spike so much.
-I do appreciate Xander's ill-placed humor.
-creepy shadow story. :/
-Oh, hey, a door. Oi, Buffy. Grumpy exchange student. Buffy must not even be able to insure that house anymore.
-She went back to the desert, of course.
-Yay for Spike back in black!
-Shamans are so testy.
-Willow screaming can't be good.
-Mm, the coat.
-Yeah, how was that for you, Kennedy?
-Buffy definitely learned something...
-Eep.

-

FuzzyHandcuffs

USS Bangel Captain
Sineya
'Chamber your energy' very Angel reminiscent. I like it.

I like Wood... for now. I just hope that he doesn't go all crazy and try and kill Spike because The First told him who killed his mother.

Going to be nitpicky, but it's not alright -at- all for what she said about Chloe. Having 'life experience'- well, so? That doesn't make it better- if anything it is worse. I mean, a child could be excused by being naive- but statement's like that are pure ignorance and simplistic.
I only just noticed this reply. I worded it weirdly, but I don't think it was okay for Buffy to call her weak. (I meant it in an "It's alright for you, you always had support from your friends and never had to deal with this stress before you became a slayer, like Chloe did" kind of way)

Sineya
I do think Buffy's comments about Chloe were incredibly harsh and reductive. Also, gotta say, I think it's pretty rich considering Buffy was a depressed, suicidal mess just last season. Thought she might show just a bit more empathy.

Interesting episode though, seeing more of the slayer origin. Willow getting her spell on and Kennedy finally taking that seriously.
When did Dawn become such a linguist?

Sineya
Great episode.

Anya and Spike together are really gold! :) Spike shamefully running from a fight... :oops:

Buffy starts this episode in a very good mood, but that's gonna change soon enough...

The emergency kit should have been passed from Slayer to Slayer, and propably Giles didn't know about it - maybe it is the reason he was missing in this episode to avoid him having to address the issue.

Andrew and his big board :)

Willow with her arms full of weapons trying to cover their secret operations :)

The confrontation between the wimpire and the cool and sexy vampire fighting guy in the basement - and Buffy just observing :)

We learn in this episode that having a soul is something private and that what Spike does best is being thrown through the ceilling - shut your mouth bad Kennedy! :)

Then things go sour: Chloe is found dead and Buffy has something to say about that. She is their leader, she is the General and they are at war - her words are harsh and cruel but they are necessary: weak people don't survive a war, they are dead even before it begins, and Buffy makes it clear. People get mad and Spike The Wimpire thinks that he doesn't have anything to hear from Buffy...

The cast shadow thingy is very cool and there it goes Buffy through the portal - and as soon as she is gone everyone is worried about what they will do without the Slayer:

ANYA
We've got bigger problems than that.

PRINCIPAL WOOD
Yeah, demon loose; no slayer.

WILLOW
We need Buffy.

XANDER
You gotta get her back.

I love Buffy's trip, the Shadow Men, the origins of the First Slayer, her choice and the vision they gave her.

Willow scares the hell out of Kennedy, but this is understable, Will is scary when she is in dark eyes mode, and Kennedy, althoug being brave - there are forces she doesn't understand.

And Spike gets his coat and his mojo back - it was about time! How it happened to be in the basement is a mystery, since it was last seen at Buffy's house.

Last edited:

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
So. Many. Girls :eek:

Sineya :eek:

Anya, you are also always a mere mortal when you are human...

Demon :eek:

How do they get cut slack ??? It doesn't make sense...

Buffy, he means your house...

Andrew the Baker :p

Potentials in training :)

Kennedy is very bossy, she would make a great dictator...

I remember Snyde, still hate him...

Wimpire :p

Wood, tell Buffy that Spike killed your mom... :rolleyes:

NO :(

What does TTFN mean anyways ??? o_O

Buffy had to bury her :(

Buffy, get out of here :mad:

Buffy is stupid...

Is that Andrew or just part of the story ??? o_O

Buffy :mad:

Can the Summers' even afford repairs at this point ??? o_O

Spike :eek:

Willow, bring stupid Buffy back...

What's that ??? o_O

Spike still has the jacket, I remember there was a thread on it a few years back, it didn't go too well...

Buffy :eek:

Spike really needed that cigarette...

So.many.ubervamps :eek:

Next time: Andrew and a video camera.

Ah yes. My "favorite" part...but only after this build up:

Get It Done - Buffy Episode 7x15 Transcript

BUFFY
The First isn't impressed. It already knows us. It knows what we can do, and it's laughing. You want to surprise the enemy? Surprise yourselves. Force yourself to do what can't be done, or else we are not an army—we're just a bunch of girls waiting to be picked off and buried. (Spike stands and walks toward the door) Where are you going?

SPIKE
Out. Since I'm neither a girl, nor waiting. All this speechifying doesn't really apply to me, does it? (walks away)

BUFFY
(calls after him) Fine. Take a cell phone. That way, if I need someone to get weepy or whaled on, I can call you.

SPIKE
(turns to Buffy) If you've got something to say—

BUFFY
Just said it. You keep holding back, you might as well walk out that door.

SPIKE
Holding back? You're blind. I've been here, right in it—fighting, scrapping...

BUFFY
Since you got your soul back?

SPIKE
Well, as a matter of fact, I haven't quite been relishing the kill the way I used to.

BUFFY
You were a better fighter then.

SPIKE
I did this for you. The soul, the changes—it's what you wanted.

BUFFY
What I want is the Spike that's dangerous. The Spike that tried to kill me when we met.

SPIKE
(angrily) Oh, you don't know how close you are to bringing him out.

BUFFY
I'm nowhere near him. Dawn, get the potentials upstairs, and break out that emergency kit.

LATER:

RED HAT SHADOW MAN
SUBTITLE: Herein lies your truest strength.

BLACK HAT SHADOW MAN
SUBTITLE: The energy of the demon. Its spirit.

BROWN HAT SHADOW MAN
SUBTITLE: Its heart.

BUFFY
This is how you—

RED HAT SHADOW MAN
SUBTITLE: Created the slayer? (nods) Yes.

Black smoke comes out of the box in long tentacles; it seems sentient as it dances around the circle. The men keep tapping their staves rhythmically.

BROWN HAT SHADOW MAN
SUBTITLE: It must become one with you.

BUFFY
No! (struggles against her chains)

RED HAT SHADOW MAN
SUBTITLE: This will make you ready for the fight.

BUFFY
By making me less human?

RED HAT SHADOW MAN
SUBTITLE: This is how it was then. How it must be now.

BLACK HAT SHADOW MAN
SUBTITLE: This is all there is.

Buffy struggles against her restraints in vain as the black smoke comes toward her, entering her body through her nose and ears.

Fade to black.

ACT IV:
37 EXT. CAVE IN DESERT - DAY
Resume. Buffy's screaming as the black smoke tries to enter her body. The men just stand there, watching. The smoke can't get in through her head while she's screaming, so it rises to the ceiling of the cave and comes back down to her, encircling her hips. Still, she resists.

BUFFY
(through gritted teeth) Make this stop!

RED HAT SHADOW MAN
SUBTITLE: This is what you came for.

Typical "Do as I say, not as I do" Buffy of season 7. She even goes so far as to provoke Spike to embrace his darkness, but she won't hers, not for the strength she demands others force themselves to take. She's above all that, in her mind.

At the very least the writers could have Anya (and others) call Buffy out on it (not just this, Buffy was this way a lot in this season) rather than the trivial stuff they came up with. I wonder, did the writers really miss it, or did they just hope the audience would?

Dora

Scooby
God another Buffy hater and Spike lover
You understood that the smoke was the essence of a demon wright!!! it was the Demon essence that the Shadow men raped the first Slayer with , Buffy did not want extra demon in her body why would she ? especially after season six. The shadow men raped her in that Cave forcing the demon dust to enter Buffy's body against her will..... fortunately Buffy was able to break free
Spike was not fighting as he should be not as we know he can, why would Buffy have her best fighter below par when all it takes was a bollocking to make him understand. Spike knows this that is why he went and got his coat,. Spike is happy Buffy did what she did , he killed the demon who came from the portal.... completely different to running away as he did with Anya, The pre souled Spike would not have run away from any fight, Spike needed the mental stimulation of Buffy speech to go and killed the demon or Buffy would not have been able to return

God another Buffy hater and Spike lover
More of a season 7 hater rather than Buffy hater. I hate its drivel and its heavy handed violation of plot and characters.

As for a Spike lover...I think that's the first time I've been called that. I guess my effort to ease up on Spike has paid off if my harsh criticism of his character (especially in regards to Spuffy) beyond when he was gleefully evil in season 2 & 3 is fading from memory.

As for what I understand (taking into account it's piss poor drivel), yes it was the essence of a demon. So is Buffy's entire Slayerhood. For that matter, vampirism is equated with sex and rape, so the darkness in Spike that Buffy wanted him to embrace could be more of "accept rape for strength" or some such if you want to force a metaphor. And accepting a soul was obviously traumatic (and that's not just a season 7 thing, if anything Spike was better able to handle it than Angel), but since it doesn't imply rape I guess you think that trauma doesn't count. Give Buffy a hug when she whines and bitches, and then cheer her on as she metaphorically and literally smacks others around for whining and bitching as well.

And using certain words too freely deprives them of the power they should have. I'll thank you to not try to throw the word "rape" around so glibly. It comes off as more manipulative than informative and creates a suspicion of the word, as well as imply certain toxic things I don't want to derail this thread about.

And I'm not going to fall into the trap of the arbitrary, heavy handed, and often contradictory metaphors the writers of season 7 liked to use. Buffy said to be strong, and she accepted the power before to fight Adam, she sure as hell could to fight the First...or alternately, stop being so harsh on others fighting against their darkness or displaying their own lack of ruthlessness of self to get the job done.

And Buffy didn't goad Spike so he could get her back, she had no idea that was coming. If I want to make sense of a senseless season, then I see Buffy as feeling like she's carrying everyone else (which is human nature to perceive their own burdens more than their own perks while also being mostly blind to the troubles other people have) and being caustic about it to everyone. If I want to be understanding of Buffy as a person who was stressed out and hurting, having just buried someone, then fine, but I'm not going to portray her as some brilliant general as she gave that hypocritical speech. When she gave that speech, she was weak, not strong, and at some level she knew it which made her angry at herself, and then projecting that anger at everyone else around her, so that she could escape her own self-hatred for her own weakness by instead attacking that same weakness in everyone around her. Furthermore, Buffy is the last person who should be griping about someone getting weepy when she's been a whiny cry-Buffy off and on since season 2, and continuing into season 7 (though I sympathize with her until season 7).

Last edited:
Sineya
Look beyond the story. This is the episode where the essence of the slayer is defined and to our surprise it is defined as demonic. We do not see Buffy as having a demonic essence before this - she appeared to be just a girl with a unique calling that gave her extra power in exchange for the promise to use it to eliminate vampires, other demons and forces of darkness. So Buffy has been standoffish and distanced from her friends for a number of seasons now and the reason is obvious - she is not fully human anymore. She has a liking for vampires and now we have the same reason - she is part demon herself. She didn't want to be alive at the beginning of Season 6 and we see the same reason - she is charged with the responsibility of destroying demons but she is one herself.

Without this episode, we would have retained the very different idea of what a slayer is as explained in episodes before this. As we head into the decline and fall of Buffy's empire, we now see that she is part demon and not at home with normal human interaction, regardless of how much she may have wanted a normal life.

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
I saw it as at least partially demonic with the First Slayer attacking Scoobies in dreams and--vague memory here on my part--Dracula showing her that Slayer power is "rooted in darkness"
Top Bottom