• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 7.21 "End of Days" - Aired 5/13/03 (UPN-US)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Buffy has a powerful new weapon, but the gang cannot find any information about the origins of the mysterious scythe. Eventually the Slayer goes herself in search of knowledge, and finds a new ally, an old friend, and great danger.
Source: TV.com

Discuss this episode here!

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
Good action: Buffy saving the Potentials from the Turok-Han, Buffy fighting Caleb (both times). And of course...Angel. :)

Any fanfic on the Guardians? I'd love to hear more about them, and I'd love to see them in s9.

Great quotes:

Anya: And they have no purpose that unites them so they just drift around blundering through life until they die... which they know is coming yet every single one of them is surprised when it happens to them. They're incapable of thinking about what they want beyond the moment. They kill each other, which is clearly insane... and yet here's the thing. When it's something that really matters, they fight. I mean, they're lame morons for fighting but they do. They never... they never quit. So I guess I will keep fighting,too.
Andrew: I don't think I'll be okay. I'm cool with it. I think I'd like to finish out as one of those lame humans trying to do what's right. [love this whole scene with Anya & Andrew]

Buffy: You're my strength, Xander. You're the reason I've made it this far. I trust you with my life.

Faith: Faith: Thank God we're hot chicks with super powers.

Guardian: I'm sorry, what was your name?
Buffy: Buffy.
Guardian: No, really...

Buffy: (holding up the scythe) Do you see this? This may actually help me fight my war. This might be the key to everything. And the reason I'm holding it is because of you. Because of the strength that you gave me last night....
Spike: I've lived for sodding ever, Buffy. I've done everything. I've done things with you I can't spell... but I've never been close... to anyone. Least of all you. Until last night. All I did was hold you, watch you sleep... and it was the best night of my life. So yeah, I'm terrified.

Jules

Bite Me
Black Thorn
Buffy's a better person than I am, I'd have left the Potentials to fend for themselves against the Ubervamps!! And then back at the house she interacts with everyone as if nothing has happened. I loved the Buffy/Faith heart to heart, it was nice for them to finally come to terms with each other.

I love that Angel is back! I'm not a fan of Buffy though, she has a huge moment with Spike, addressing what happened the night before and then Angel shows up and she's kissing him like were back in season 2/3. I'm a Bangel so I'm fine with it, but it makes Buffy seem a little bit shallow.

Charmander
Charmander
Maybe it was to appease Bangel fans, but yeah, it was badly placed.

PassionBecoming

Minuscule Redheaded One
Sineya
-Why must we relive Xander's eye-gouging on every recap?!
-Scythe. Ooo, shiny.
-Yes, yes, she can pry it out of the solid rock before you...well, do anything, Caleb. FAIL.
-"Faith go boom." Yes, yes she did.
-Why would a Potential where a corset top and a skirt on a mission where there's bound to be fighting?
-JAFFA CAKES!! [MENTION=8885]nightshade[/MENTION] brought me some of those. :)
-Ubervamp nest isn't something good to stumble upon.
-And there's Buffy, saving your butts again. What do you know.
-"There's always more." S2 Buffy talking to Joyce.
-Giles playing with scythe like it's a new toy. Heh.
-Love seeing Willow go for her laptop again. Makes me all nostalgic!
-Andrew has a good point about the hospital. A good plan! Drunk Andrew and Anya have a mission!
-Xander and Buffy friendship moment. *heartwarmed* "You're my strength, Xander."
-I love Buffy's outfit for this season finale.
-It's silly how bound Willow is from using magic.
-So Xander likes the subtle missing-an-eye jokes.
-Black-eyed Caleb vs. Black-eyed Willow? Who wins?
-"You lead people into battle, they're going to die." I like Buffy and Faith having matter-of-face conversations. They do complement each other.
-And Faith finally admitting she's jealous of Buffy. And finally "getting it".
-Spike gets so attitude-y. Cracks me up. He's not so good about being nonchalant.
-Yay for Buffy calling out Spike! Talk about your feelings, people! That's called intimacy, Spike.
-Jaws reference!!
-"When it's something that really matters, they fight."
-Wheelchair fight.
-Back to a simple "Buffy in the graveyard" scene
-I don't remember this old lady in the temple.
-Heh. "Buffy." "No, really." *shrug*
-Gotta love when you go looking for information and get lovely vague answers. And then your source of information gets her neck snapped...
-Ok, that scene with Dawn and Xander in the car was completely awkward and makes no sense. Where did she get a taser? How did she drive away without moving Xander out of the driver's seat??
-Caleb vs. Buffy. Love it
-ANGEL!!! "You look good." "Timely." One of my favorite S7 parts. :D
-"You are so gonna lose." That is one of my favorite quotes from this show.
-I always feel so good for Buffy and Angel. They've got to feel so comforted with each other near after what they've both been through of late. But poor Spike. :(

FuzzyHandcuffs

USS Bangel Captain
Sineya
All I have to say about this episode is ANGEL ANGEL ANGEL ANGEL ANGEL ANGEL ANGEL. I love seeing him back with Buffy, however, I hate that Spike has to get hurt in order for this to happen. I have always loved Buffy and Angel together.

Does Caleb remind anyone else of Ashton Kutcher? Lol. (In looks, not acting ability. I promise!)
Giles: Ooh, Jaffa cakes! :D
If Buffy had arrived just 3 seconds later Kennedy's neck would have been snapped. :(
I love it when Dawn tasers Xander. It's definitely something that Buffy would have done if put in that scenario.
And sorry but I hate it when Buffy kisses Angel here! I don't think that Buffy had huge feelings for Spike in the way that she did with Angel, but I'm just kind of over a love interest that hasn't been in the show regularly since Buffy was still in high school. If Angel had been put properly into the season I wouldn't have minded it so much. (With Spike and Faith as my fantasy couple). But not for him to just appear right at the end of the penultimate episode, and for Buffy to not be the slightest bit conflicted about kissing him. Meh. I preferred the understanding that she had with Angel when he saw she was happy with Riley. As someone else said, this seems shallow.

white avenger

white avenger
I love that Angel is back! I'm not a fan of Buffy though, she has a huge moment with Spike, addressing what happened the night before and then Angel shows up and she's kissing him like were back in season 2/3. I'm a Bangel so I'm fine with it, but it makes Buffy seem a little bit shallow.
(I'm gonna get trashed for this by some Bangel supporters, but here goes anyhow)

Angel was brought back at the end of Season 7 simply to reenforce the fact that he and Buffy had been together in the past, and might be together again in some distant future. Without that simple scene, cookie dough and all, the Series would have ended mere minutes after Buffy declared her love for Spike.

The Angel/Buffy/Spike triangle had to kept intact, the mystery left unsolved. Otherwise, we wouldn't still be arguing about it to this day.

(I'm gonna get trashed for this by some Bangel supporters, but here goes anyhow)

Angel was brought back at the end of Season 7 simply to reenforce the fact that he and Buffy had been together in the past, and might be together again in some distant future. Without that simple scene, cookie dough and all, the Series would have ended mere minutes after Buffy declared her love for Spike.

The Angel/Buffy/Spike triangle had to kept intact, the mystery left unsolved. Otherwise, we wouldn't still be arguing about it to this day.
In that case, Angel should have been placed in the season earlier, rather than just awkwardly put into the finale. I like the cookie dough speech, but it was badly placed.

Black Thorn
Does Caleb remind anyone else of Ashton Kutcher? Lol. (In looks, not acting ability. I promise!)
Giles: Ooh, Jaffa cakes! :D
If Buffy had arrived just 3 seconds later Kennedy's neck would have been snapped. :(
I love it when Dawn tasers Xander. It's definitely something that Buffy would have done if put in that scenario.
And sorry but I hate it when Buffy kisses Angel here! I don't think that Buffy had huge feelings for Spike in the way that she did with Angel, but I'm just kind of over a love interest that hasn't been in the show regularly since Buffy was still in high school. If Angel had been put properly into the season I wouldn't have minded it so much. (With Spike and Faith as my fantasy couple). But not for him to just appear right at the end of the penultimate episode, and for Buffy to not be the slightest bit conflicted about kissing him. Meh. I preferred the understanding that she had with Angel when he saw she was happy with Riley. As someone else said, this seems shallow.
That has always bothered me - at least as much about Angel as where he fits in Buffy.

Angel has just slit his son's throat and given him away so that he will never see him again. He has wiped his friends memories, thrown in with an evil law firm that hounded him for years - in part so that he can get the best possible treatment for Cordy whom he desperately needs.

Then, carefree and cheerful, he drives to Buffy to give her an amulet from that same law firm - and gets upset because she smells of Spike. Either he's a selfish manipulative liar, or.....or he's cracked under the pressure. I know that BTVS required something different from what Ats was showing but the contrast is both jarring and not very complimentary to Angel.

OTH - I am really glad the Buffy has realized that it's not her fault that her relationships have not been forever in love relationships - that she is 21 and she has years to explore the world.

The strange lady in the tent was pushing things a bit far, and the damn weapon is in no way a scythe!

Charmander
Charmander
[No message]
white avenger
white avenger
Buffy's scythe is really a short handled halberd, a spear/axe combination used by foot soldiers in the Crusades.

white avenger

white avenger
In that case, Angel should have been placed in the season earlier, rather than just awkwardly put into the finale. I like the cookie dough speech, but it was badly placed.
Not if, as I believe, the purpose of his appearance and his scene with Buffy were meant to counterbalance Buffy telling Spike that she loved him. The two scenes had to be placed as closely together as possible. If Angel had shown up earlier, for instance, if he had come with Faith and Willow, his brief scene with Buffy, and it would have had to be brief, because of the story line on his own show, the time between then and "Chosen" would have made it easier for Spike supporters to say, "Yeah, she said that BACK THEN, but over the next few weeks, Buffy came to her senses and realized who she REALLY loved."

Even having her sleep those last two nights with Spike, after Angel was gone, was something of a risk for the same reason.

And the cookie dough speech was left ambiguous, I think, for the same reason. Buffy never mentioned anyone specific that she was including in those future plans. Yes, she was speaking to Angel at the time, which could indicate that it might be him. He certainly assumed that it was him, but, if you listen closely, Buffy is simply saying that she looks forward to a time when she can hang up her Scythe and Slayer shoes and live a real life with whoever gets to eat her cookies. No Angel, no Spike, no one at all by name. Just somebody who likes cookies. 
and the damn weapon is in no way a scythe!
Halberd blade. Not exactly the same, but you can see the similarity

bespangeled
bespangeled
[No message]

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Angel has just slit his son's throat and given him away so that he will never see him again. He has wiped his friends memories, thrown in with an evil law firm that hounded him for years - in part so that he can get the best possible treatment for Cordy whom he desperately needs.

Then, carefree and cheerful, he drives to Buffy to give her an amulet from that same law firm - and gets upset because she smells of Spike. Either he's a selfish manipulative liar, or.....or he's cracked under the pressure. I know that BTVS required something different from what Ats was showing but the contrast is both jarring and not very complimentary to Angel.
Or maybe he's just really nostalgic? Angel has had one hell of a year and has lost both his son and the girl he COULD have had deep, loving feelings for to Jasmine's manipulations.
He's saved the world from apocalypse and got zero credit for it (apart from the ultimate evil law firm thanking him)
So I'd imagine it would've been nice for him to return to Sunnydale- in many ways a simpler time for him- to see an old flame. When he says 'I missed this' about Buffy kicking ass I honestly think he means it.

Yeah, him getting jealous of Spike is petty, (Buffy even calls him on this by calling him a twelve year old. And also later on Spike is just as petty) but its also entirely in character for him to act this way around anybody he has romantic feelings for, Buffy or Cordelia. Angel was the same with Riley, came to apologise to Buffy but gets into a brawl with her boyfriend.

Here Angel has come to help but, after some hard truths from Buffy about their relationship and how it ended, does actually do the graceful thing and make an exit so Buffy does what needs to be done without distraction.
The only bit that is specifically for the Bangel fans (apart from the kissing) is the 'sometimes I do think that far ahead' which Buffy says to Angel as he leaves.

Let's be honest, both Bangels and Spuffy's are pandered to in these last few of episodes (like that scene in 'Touched') just so people can argue about them to their hearts content.

It's all redundant anyway since when Buffy, Angel and Spike reunite in S8 not one oif the things said in these episodes is touched upon. Not the cookie dough speech, or the I love you/know you don't' so we have to conclude that they don't actually matter in the grand scheme- they happened and everybody then moved on.

That has always bothered me - at least as much about Angel as where he fits in Buffy.

OTH - I am really glad the Buffy has realized that it's not her fault that her relationships have not been forever in love relationships - that she is 21 and she has years to explore the world.

The strange lady in the tent was pushing things a bit far, and the damn weapon is in no way a scythe!

Yeah, that change in Angel has always bothered me as well. He's just lost the love of his life, his son, and now he's suddenly reverted to season 1 Angel, quipping away as If nothing has happened.

Bad form Mr Whedon.

Ah the cookie dough speech. The perfect cap on later Seasons Buffy and her perpetual immaturity. By that age everyboy knows (except those with less intelligence due to birth defects) you are never done baking. Your life always changes and that's even more true for a slayer than the average person. The only time you are done baking is when you are dead, permanently.

The stuff with Angel has never bothered because they always ignored what went on in AtS when they brought Angel over to Buffy after S3 (no different in the comics either). Plus it also prepared me for what's to come in Angel S5 and it was nice of them to give me a warning so I could stock up on aspirin.

Black Thorn
Ah the cookie dough speech. The perfect cap on later Seasons Buffy and her perpetual immaturity. By that age everyboy knows (except those with less intelligence due to birth defects) you are never done baking. Your life always changes and that's even more true for a slayer than the average person. The only time you are done baking is when you are dead, permanently.

The stuff with Angel has never bothered because they always ignored what went on in AtS when they brought Angel over to Buffy after S3 (no different in the comics either). Plus it also prepared me for what's to come in Angel S5 and it was nice of them to give me a warning so I could stock up on aspirin.
Buffy's death? And Angel didn't even have to kill her with his own hands. He killed Connor with a knife - cut his throat. I don't mind that he's there - I mind the way he talks and acts.

Taake

Bella
Staff member
Black Thorn
Buffy's death? And Angel didn't even have to kill her with his own hands. He killed Connor with a knife - cut his throat. I don't mind that he's there - I mind the way he talks and acts.
Yeah, and I mean I get that they were pressed for time and all, so they couldn't go into it. But it really is in poor taste to have Angel be so light and fluffy and it's not very credible at all in terms of the character.

white avenger

white avenger
Let's be honest, both Bangels and Spuffy's are pandered to in these last few of episodes (like that scene in 'Touched') just so people can argue about them to their hearts content.

We actually agree on a Spuffy/Bangel issue? That's frightening.

Is the Hellmouth gonna freeze over now?

Sineya
Good episode.

Buffy rocks with her brand-new Scythe, and in, like two seconds, she dusts two Turok-Hans and rescues the Potentials. Then, she's back home, owning it, and forgiving everyone for everything - but then, she has no time for holding grudges, she is on a mission.

Faith finally understands what Buffy's life is like, what has always been, and admits that she was jealous of Buffy - good progress.

Poor Xander, he certainly wanted to stay and fight, but he can deny a request from Buffy, even more if it's about protecting Dawn - and Dawn, what a feisty girl she turned out to be! I loved her putting Xander to sleep and controlling the car like a pro...

Very cool Anya and Andrew bonding at the hospital.

Buffy and Spike... another great moment between the two of them, she acknowledging he gave her strength, and admitting she was there with him; he being totally open, confessing to be terrified, and that he had the best night of his life... just beautiful. :)

The Guardians are one of S7 flaws, appearing from nowhere, saying that they kept the Scythe hidden, to be delivered to the Slayer. In fact, the one who did that was Caleb, who drew attention to it staying in the vineyard protecting the thing. Buffy found out about the pyramid shaped tomb and the Guardian only after she got the weapon... if she was supposed to wait for them, she would be dead.

And then, arrives Angel - and saves her life; Caleb apparently would have killed her if it wasn't for his good timing. They compliment each other with a kiss, and Spike looks like he will go evil any minute now... :rolleyes:

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
Buffy, the weapon is now yours :)

Caleb, she knows more than you think she does :)

Faith go boom :(

Why does Faith need to suffer so much ??? :(

At least some of the potentials are alive :)

Andrew raided the store because the store owner left :p

Buffy :eek:

Giles has a point, mind Faith's head, the more her head gets hit the more she tilts her head...

Scythe matters :p

They need bed sheets :(

Xander, you can still do things with just one eye :)

Xander, this is the end...

Research is getting harder, Giles is getting frustrated :(

Giles figured it out :D

Miss Kitty fantastico is dead :(

Xander, I don't think that Dawn had time to do drivers ed lately...

Caleb... :rolleyes:

Caleb is god :eek:

Faith is awake :D

Buffy, Faith, the Scythe belongs to both of you :)

Buffy is only figuring it out now ??? o_O

Faith, you are a hot chick with superpowers :D

Spike :eek:, I was wondering where he was...

Shirty ??? o_O

Buffy, just go...

Buffy has Faith for mixed signals, guess that she picked up on the subtext too :D

Spike, not even Drusilla ???

Rob the hospital :D

Andrew and Anya :p

Anya has a good point...

Wheelchairs are fun, as long as you are able to walk unassisted.

Buffy :mad:

At least Buffy gets it back :)

Caleb :eek:

Yay Dawn :D

Angel :eek:

Ding dong the witch is dead :D

Spike :eek:

Next time: The hellmouth opens and swallows Sunnydale.