• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 8.01 "The Long Way Home Part 1" - Released 3/14/07 (Dark Horse)

Black Eye Guy

Taking over the World!
Black Thorn
I'll put this here till we get the fourm.

Since the destruction of the Hellmouth, the Slayers--newly legion--have gotten organized and are kicking some serious undead butt. But not everything's fun and firearms, as an old enemy reappears and Dawn experiences some serious growing pains . . .
Source: Dark Horse

So I went into town today (took the morning off college to go in ;))and got the Buffy Comic, it was only released today in Europe cuz we get comics on a Thursday. The Shop had tons (They'd only been open an hour) Which I thought was cool they are clearly expecting to sell loads!

The Comic itself was FANTASTIC!!! I loved it, I was so surprised at how it totally captured the feel of the TV series in this form. I could totally see the characters saying each of those lines.

The Art is stunning, Like I loved the pics we saw but there nothing to the actual thing, the art is seriously beautiful!

Also loved the whole military Slayer operation thing, which was one thing I wasn't expecting to like that much, but it working well and still had the scoobie feel.

Really liked the Xander bit with Renee, it was funny, had pop culture references and showed signs of flirting, which was nice to see for Xander. Although you did get the sense (As you were probably supposed to) that the gang has really separated, but I loved the "Scoobie" meeting that was just Xander and Buffy.

Who do you think the feet belong to, the ones from the last frame where Buffy and Co storm the castle, right before it cuts to the military flying over the crater formally known as Sunnydale, There's a pair of feet that look like their flying above watching Buffy?

And who do you think Amy's Boyfriend is? Who could she have kept alive in the destroyed Sunnydale??

Gotta say this was well worth the wait, it was bloody brilliant. Only thing I don't like is that comics are so short, although I still think they covered allot.

But Yey Buffys Back!!

goldenboy

Scooby
Damn, I wanna join in the fun. Gotta wait. Just walked to a comic shop. Was sold out...

Lyri

Buckle Up Tight
Sineya
yeah, i have to wait until tomorrow. if they're sold out i'm gonna be majorly pissed!

Black Eye Guy

Taking over the World!
Black Thorn
Jeeze guys wheres your dedication!! You should be takeing sick days and skipping in order to get it!!

Was re-reading it and remembered I LOVEd that Xander used Faiths 5x5 that was awesome!

Lyri

Buckle Up Tight
Sineya
lol, BEG!! it was my sister's birthday today, so we did the celebrating thing. first thing in the morning, i'm heading to town!

Black Eye Guy
Black Eye Guy
Oh your sisters b-day - Damn siblings and there forever getting in the way!

goldenboy

Scooby
I didn't see people camping out at the comic shop door like a buncha Star Wars nerds, but I figured it woulda sold out quick...

Luckily, I got two copies shipping.

Black Eye Guy

Taking over the World!
Black Thorn
I was well impressed with the amount of copies Forbidden Planet had in Dublin, there was at least 80 copies, although thinkning about it now there is only like 2 Comic shops in Dublin, so they could easily sell out!

Mr. Pointy

A sharp stick - it's true
Watcher
Black Thorn
I'm gonna have to e-mail Mrs P and ask her to pick up my ordered copy...I thought it was supposed to have been delayed...

alexa

rip it up
I ordered mine at TFAW.com so I'm assuming it's getting sent to me when it gets to their warehouse.. whenever that is. :(

mogwaid

Squishy
La La LA *covers eyes to not see any spoilers*

I was wondering, how much does shipping cost for you guys? Coz so far, i havent been able to find the comic in the middle east. Is there anywhere i can check shipping price?

A
alexa
cheapest way is 30day shipping, cost you about $7. I've spent $75 tho for 2 day shipping for the 1st issue. Probably cheaper on some other websites.

goldenboy

Scooby
I was wondering, how much does shipping cost for you guys? Coz so far, i havent been able to find the comic in the middle east. Is there anywhere i can check shipping price?
Well, for instance, I got mine from Westfield Comics, in the States. They have a shipping cost chart, you can find it via their FAQ. It's not real cheap to ship internationally...looks like for the smallest orders, "shipping and handling" ranges from $13 to $29. Maybe it's cheaper for you to order from Europe, dunno.

OK, I'm a convert, I really liked Buffy #1. It felt like what I'd imagine a feature film would feel like, if they decided to do one. Going epic...

I'm still not sure about all the tech, sci-fi stuff. I did like the more intimate, mundane backdrop of the show...we'll see.

"Your butt looks big in those giant pants" lol. Love that. But, "great muppety Odin"? That's not a Buffy line. That's a Joss Whedon line, for sure. She musta snagged that one from Xander.

The narration, internal monologue stuff is standard for the comics, but something that you have to adjust to a bit for Buffy...

The art is great, I'm impressed. I was afraid the art team would make it too pretty, airbrushy, but it's good. Georges' style here is sort of rough and craggy, but not sloppy. It's got a lot of character, I really like it. Coloring is great, sort of muted. Good stuff. The likenesses are good, but not slavishly precise and static. Buffy's a true comic book character now. Nice, sturdy paperstock too...

goldenboy

Scooby
I'm guessing the cheapest way to go is to just subscribe to the comic? But it seems like it takes awhile before you see the latest issue, not sure. Dark Horse's subscription service, here.

Mr. Pointy

Watcher
Black Thorn
I'm guessing the cheapest way to go is to just subscribe to the comic? But it seems like it takes awhile before you see the latest issue, not sure. Dark Horse's subscription service, here.
Yea, that's the way I got the Serenity comics after I missed them in the shops. Dark Horse use TFAW, who do ship worldwide. I don't remember the postage costs being excessive (from US to UK) and they arrived pretty quickly.

Today after school I was gonna pick up the newest issue of Y: The Last Man at the comic book store. I didn't they they had the Buffy comic yet, but I asked the guy working there when they'd get it and he said they already did, and asked if I wanted one.

Woo hoo, bought it, read it, love it. Can't wait for next month, grr, hate that they're so damn short!
[br][/br]
Edit:
[br][/br]
Really liked the Xander bit with Renee, it was funny, had pop culture references and showed signs of flirting, which was nice to see for Xander. Although you did get the sense (As you were probably supposed to) that the gang has really separated, but I loved the "Scoobie" meeting that was just Xander and Buffy.
Agree about both these two things. Then again, the Scoobies weren't really Scoobies in season 7 either so.. guess they'll have to work on bringing them back together if that's what they want? Idk.

goldenboy

Scooby
It's good to see Xands finally step up and be a take charge Scooby. They played down his military brain potential so much in later seasons.

And yet, yeah, he's still Buffy's best psychologist/councillor...next to Giles, maybe...

Xander is the heart :) I love how calm Xander has become. I mean he was like that in season 7, obviously, and I feel like they're keeping him that way, which I love..

Joamna

frak
I picked mine up today too after a call from an excited epo holding her issue in her hand :D

I love it, very much. Loved the "scene" where Buffy was talking to Dawn lying on the floor, it felt so.. eh, real, like I could actually see the character moving..

I'm very excited, can't wait for next month, think I'm going to lie down and sleep and don't wake up until there's another issue.. or something.

A
alexa
yeah I need #2 now please :p

Mr. Pointy

Watcher
Black Thorn
Brilliant! Loved it! Fave bits -

"Sgt Fury...nerd points" hehehehe!
Andrew set up the Immortal thing especially for Angel and Spike's benefit...hehehe!
Giant Dawn.
The fight with the demons.
The return to Sunnydale panels.

My guess for Amy's "friend" - Warren or Rack...as for the floaty boot bloke, I only noticed that on my second read...Hmm...and what was with the "frowny" symbol stuff...intriguing...
Did I mention I loved it...I even agreed to letting Mrs P read it...well she did go to the shop and get it for me :)

Jenny
Jenny
LOVED the S.H.I.E.L.D. reference too ;) Especially since I've been playing Marvel Alliance alot lately!

CharmedSlayer85

Potential
I really enjoyed this comic I just WISH it was longer, cause when I got to the end I was like DAMNIT!!! And I'm wondering who the pair of feet belonged to as well as we'd never seen anyone fly in the Buffyverse, granted they mentioned Willow flying when they thought she teleported but eh, maybe it's Dracula lol. One thing I wondered when I saw all this technology and then their headquaters was "Where the hell did they get the money for all this?" Also I noticed that Buffy had blue eyes when Sarah herself has green eyes, and I remember they said the same thing in "Girl In Question," in Season Five of Angel where angel said have you seen a girl blonde hair blue eyes, and I said the same thing I was like "Buffy has green eyes." I'm wondering how this US government thing is gonna play out. Are these the same guys that told them to cement the Initiative? They did say they were going to watch her. And Amy must be that damn powerful for her to survive inside the Hellmouth for about a year with just magick and not be drained...and I'm wondering who her "boyfriend," is too. It can't be Rack or Warren cause they're both dead...which doesn't mean anything in this universe but still. And I'm also wondering again where the hell is Amy getting all this power....could Willow even do that? Willow's suppose to be MUCH stronger but I'm just like Damn

Top Bottom