• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 8.04 "The Long Way Home Part 4" - Released 06/05/07 (Dark Horse)

nerd4hire

Certified Uncloneable
"Buffy's back in action, thanks to a kiss of true love, but Willow's another story entirely-their capture of Amy the witch opened up a magical trap door, and now the Wiccan is in the belly of the beast. To make matters worse, she's at the mercy of someone truly bent on revenge, and he's been waiting for this for a long time. The conclusion to Season Eight's first arc."

http://www.darkhorse.com/profile/profile.php?sku=14-114

nerd4hire

Certified Uncloneable
"Her magic is my skin".

What exactly does that mean? I don't know. Kind of poetic though.

Xander:
Oh I bet you loved hearing that.

Buffy:
How much longer.

Gotta bit of a lump in my throat there.

Satsu is serious this time. She doesn't wear her "rude girl" buttons, or her cat hat.

In case you haven't read this issue yet and are wondering, here's a 3 word hint. Cinnamon lip gloss.

He he - The Scythe. "KRHUHBOOM - Magic - It's all done with mirrors"...Huh?

"About two miles South of Sunnydale"... Oh no.

Ice Spirit (in the ethereal world):
Your body is almost dead. You can't come back from a natural death dear. Not even you.
Do You Fear?

Willow:
Did I ever tell you about my best friend?

Buffy: (Back in the real world battle):
I like to think in a way that she is a part of me. That even when she's gone a part of her is with me.

Buffy con't: (Dark eyed now as she arms with slayer-witch magic):
Cause it is.

And me gets another throat lump.

But continuing to type as I read...Great battle.

"And someone ask Dawn to stop jumping up and down."

Ah ha triple X. OK, I get it now. Someone at BB was right. I think it was Lyri.

An Ah ha again. Ethan said "Twilight is falling" last issue. Never thought I'd feel sorry for Ethan Rayne.

Then the ending - eerie feeling.

That's my synopsis. If you want one that makes sense, go to Wikipedia. :)

I love Eliza Dushku

Masked Kane
I agree about the eerie feeling of the ending! It was pretty funny seeing Amy's mom in this issue, especially since I just watched "Witch" like 2 days ago. I am sad that we now have to wait until August for a new issue !!

palabravampiress
palabravampiress
Amy's mom was one of the best likenessess I've seen in the comics so far.

Lyri

Buckle Up Tight
Sineya
Ah ha triple X. OK, I get it now. Someone at BB was right. I think it was Lyri.
what did i say? i wanna know what it means now! lol. i won't get to read it for weeks!!

nerd4hire
nerd4hire
And duh...I just got it. XXX "More antique Roman than a Dane". They're Roman friggen Numerals. :D

nerd4hire

Certified Uncloneable
It's early in the thread so I'll spoiler it this once.

Wasn't it you who said the triple x could signify the number 30?

Be warned all. No more spoiler tags after that one. If you're here, that means you want to know. ;)

Lyri
Lyri
YAY!! that was me!! hee hee! i was right!! lmao!

VisionGuy

Oh Plerr
I read the summary in Wikipedia cuz I know I won't get mine for at least two weeks thanks to TFAFW or whatever.

I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY KILL ETHAN!!!!!!!!!

nerd4hire

Certified Uncloneable
Spoiler tags aren't really necessary now. I just wanted to give people a bit of a warning before we start laying the big reveals out in the open. :)

VisionGuy
VisionGuy
Okay, I took them off. :)

Ashxking

one evil monkey
Her magic is my skin line means just that. AMy's magic helps Warren able to walk and move with out him feeling the ground or having air blow on his tendons and everthing else. He would be in a world of pain if all his nerves were in the open

Evilyn

Symphony of Destruction
So, I picked it up today and didn't even get out of the parking lot before I had it read.

I got a total X-Men vibe from the end when the General is explaining to Buffy why they are after her and the other slayers. He says something about Buffy creating a master race (like mutants) and that they are now at war against the human race. How much does that suck? Everything she's fought to protect is now against her.

That Satsu thing was out of left field for me. The look on Buffy's face when she realizes it's cinnamon is great.

CharmedSlayer85

Potential
Can somebody tell me what happened in the comic with a little bit more detail please, cause the summary on wikipedia was very bland and not much detail.

Bishop Cruz

Townie
Cool issue, the Warren retcon was kinda weak though.

I think the whole cinnamon lip gloss thing is a red herring. Looking at the blocking of the previous issues, it wasn't even clear that Satsu was IN THE ROOM when the kiss happened. In fact the last we had seen of her clearly, was in issue 2 fighting the undead. My money is still on Xander.

nerd4hire
nerd4hire
I was sure it was for sure, but now you've got me thinking, and I'm not sure at all.
Tranquillity
Tranquillity
Yup, i thought red herring too - satsu had no reaction to the comment either

Black Eye Guy

Taking over the World!
Black Thorn
It was a good issue, but I did prefere the last one! But it was odd that Ethen was dead! Did he's body look decomposed? I thought it did, but it looked like he was just killed?

Wonder why the military were talking with Ethen, if he was a prisioner?

I left my comic in a friends, but was it Buffy's eyes that wen't black, or willows? I thought it was buffys when I read it, but I liked all that bit!

Willow is so much more powerfull then she was before, like she healed her eye instantly! And what was with that other dimension she Entered? What were those thingm where they elements? What was the one that looked like it was made up of math stuff (going off memory)

The ending was cool!

Bishop Cruz

Townie
She didn't just heal her eye instantly, she was tortured for hours, and lobotomized, and she healed all of that instantly. She's barely human anymore. I wonder if that is going to change throughout the series. I mean what danger can there possibly be to Willow at this point in time. She is insanely powerful.

I'm also wondering if they are going to address, the reason that Xander still has an eye-patch (other than it looking cool.) I mean if Willow can do the Mojo she can do, regrowing Xander's eye should be cake. I think that means he has chosen to remain one-eyed. I think that could be a cool story if they explain why.

CharmedSlayer85

Potential
Well this is the Buffyverse I'm sure there are plenty of creatures strong enough to take on Willow. I mean Willow is the strongest human being in the world, but humans can only contain but so much power. I mean look at Illyria her new human body couldn't contain all of her godly power. And also no matter how powerful she may get if her head is chopped off she can't come back from that

nerd4hire

Certified Uncloneable
I was just thinking about the triple X clue from last issue again.

I actually made the connection XXX = 30, but then I thought, "No there's got to be more to it". Ethan quotes from Hamlet, "More antique Roman than a Dane". What could that possibly signify? Then they enter Amy's old rat cage, and Ethan starts talking about how when you enter someone's dreamscape you bring a bit of your own, so I naturally puzzled over what Amy could possibly bring from her dreamscape which would be signified by triple X.

Of course now that I know the answer it's all so obvious. More antique "Roman" = "Roman Numerals". It wasn't Amy's dreamscape bringing the Triple X symbol. It was Ethan's. Ethan's dreamscape was connected also. Double-Duh...

Joss might as well have asked for George Washington's first name. I was looking for these complex clues, and he totally sucker punched me by laying out the obvious. I must smile, and chuckle at me now. What a dummy. :lmao:

CharmedSlayer85

Potential
I was just thinking about the triple X clue from last issue again.

I actually made the connection XXX = 30, but then I thought, "No there's got to be more to it". Ethan quotes Hamlet, "More antique Roman than a Dane". What could that possibly signify? Then they enter Amy's old rat cage, and Ethan starts talking about how when you enter someone's dreamscape you bring a bit of your own, so I naturally puzzled over what Amy could possibly bring from her dreamscape which would be signified by triple X.

Of course now that I know the answer it's all so obvious. More antique "Roman" = "Roman Numerals". It wasn't Amy's dreamscape bringing the Triple X symbol. It was Ethan's. Ethan's dreamscape was connected also. Double-Duh...

Joss might as well have asked for George Washington's first name. I was looking for these complex clues, and he totally sucker punched me by laying out the obvious. I must smile, and chuckle at me now. What a dummy. :lmao:
Ummmmmm I don't get it

nerd4hire

Certified Uncloneable
Seriously? Hope you never do then, because if you do you're going to be kicking yourself.

Edit

Oh wait I understand why you don't get it. You haven't read # 4 yet. Ethan is being held in cell # 30. When Buffy saw the triple X last issue it was a symbol from his dreamscape, not Amy's. When Buffy puzzles over what a triple X could mean, he says he's Roman, as in Roman numerals. XXX is the Roman Numeral for 30. There were two clues telling us the number 30 was significant to Ethan.

He wanted Buffy to help him. Come to think of it why else would Ethan have been there if he didn't have a selfish motive. He's Ethan. He's not going to tell Buffy outright what he wants, because again, he's Ethan. Ethan doesn't do that.

Tranquillity

That'll put marzipan in your pie plate bingo
This one left me with more questions than it actually answered!!
Loved the drawings in this one - buffy's battle gear looks very cool. Great to see the Axe back in action. Loved the use of magic and how they made Amy think that Buffy was her mum and it turn have hit on Amy's Archilles Heel. it might come in handy now that she and warren have zapped off to who knows where. Kinda cool that they've ended up two miles south of Sunnydale - the long way home indeed.
I too would love to know a bit more about the elementals that helped Willow. Are they versions of herself or just generic spirt guides? I think Willow has gotten so powerful since the destruction of sunnydale - partially as a result of the empowerment spell, partially as a result of whatever she was doing in her absence from the gang - i'd reckon that is why she didn't fix xanders eye because, at the time she wasn't powerful enough to grow a new eye. The eye patch gives him an edge, i don't think he should be i any hurry to get the eye fixed :)
Dawn is still big! i thought for sure, with her on the cover and all, that she would get 'fixed' this issue- but i like big Dawn, so in no hurry to see her reduced in size.
And yup, kinda sux that you spend your life fighting evil on behalf of the world and its people only to have them (or a group of them) turn against you and accuse you of being the eneny and a demon!
And in the slay the critics column - i think Shawler should just chill out a little or maybe not buy the comics as they seem to be bad for his/her blood pressure.
It will be a long wait for #5 but the omnibus will be in stores mid july so that will be a nice filler.

Evilyn

Symphony of Destruction
OK, so after further research that WAS a Gamorrean Guard from Star Wars in the panel right before the XXX with Ethan in #3. N4H pointed out the people bringing their dreamscape to Buffy's dream, so who was bringing that into Buffy's dream? Was it Warren? I know he explained that Amy's magic is his skin, essentially keeping hime alive, but that doesn't tell me why Star Wars was brought into Buffy's dream. I know it means something darn it, I'm not just beating a dead horse, well....to death again.

I mean for Warren to be able to bring a Gamorrean Guard into Buffy's dreamscape, he and Amy would have to be magikally linked, big time, right? I wonder if it's like a Harry Potter type thing, where one of them has to die to kill the other one. Like you can't kill Warren, unless you kill Amy, or something to that effect.

Top Bottom