• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 8.06 "No Future for You Part 1" - Released 08/06/07 (Dark Horse)

nerd4hire

Certified Uncloneable
This should be out now. Here's what Dark horse has to say about it.

Top creator Brian K. Vaughan (Y: The Last Man; Pride of Baghdad; Lost) takes over writing duties and dives headlong into what Faith is up to-infiltration, assassination, and nonstop Cleveland. The fugitive Slayer is given the assignment that could change her life . . . if Giles's specialized training doesn't make her want to end it first. Artist Georges Jeanty (The American Way) remains at the top of his game--and Joss Whedon stays on as Executive Producer--in this first part of "No Future for You."
Dark Horse Comics > Profile > Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8: #6 No Future for You

Black Eye Guy

Taking over the World!
Black Thorn
Awesome issue, Gotta say I'm not a fan of how Faiths drawn, but the book is fantastic, a little bit of a let down, but thats only cuz it's the set up story and I know how cool the rest of the storyline is going to be!

I don't really like this whole Faith is an outsider and not part of the group she was at the end of season 7, they just went back to treating her like a killer?

Doctor who in Buffy that was Brilliant!!

nerd4hire

Certified Uncloneable
I just read it. This is easily my favorite so far, and I've got a feeling I'll be saying that again next month. This whole series is just so great. I'm loving it.

goldenboy

Scooby
"Hey, I likes me some kink, but if you think I'm going downtown on this chick, you chose the wrong Chosen One."

C'mon, that's good stuff, lol. Agreed, Faith is drawn weirdly. Lady Savidge actually looks...normal. I think Jeanty may in fact do better with the non-actor characters. Brilliant issue overall. Highly quotable.

S
StuckinTraffic
I think that was my favorite line!

Lyri

Buckle Up Tight
Sineya
this arrived in my hallway this morning...got so excited to find it when i came back frm my sucky job interview.

anyway, i know i harped on a bit about the crappy artwork, but actually, a few pages in, i really liked it. i like the fact that it's choppy and rough, i think that's maybe the point, to show that Faith isn't the smooth, comfortable person that Buffy is. i also like the fact that it's slightly darker than the previous issues.

loved the Doctor and Rose squeezed in there. that was cute.

i liked the scene with buffy and Xander, but i think that might have been just me trying to picture a buffer Nick Brendon rather than a comic book character, lol

overall, i LOVED this issue. i agree with N4H, definitely my fave issue so far. i loved the fact that they paired up Faith with Giles, rather than someone else. and her dress at the end? not something i ever expected to see Faith dressed in.

i liked the intro of 'Gigi' or rather, Lady Savidge. i'm just wondering where they're gonna go with this. she just killed another Slayer, true, but i'm wondering who's pulling the strings. she seems to be being led by the guy she was with, who just happened to have a Twilight image on his book or whatever. do you think she's actually evil, or is she being played?

i cann't wait to find out what happens next.

goldenboy

Scooby
i liked the intro of 'Gigi' or rather, Lady Savidge. i'm just wondering where they're gonna go with this. she just killed another Slayer, true, but i'm wondering who's pulling the strings. she seems to be being led by the guy she was with, who just happened to have a Twilight image on his book or whatever. do you think she's actually evil, or is she being played?
It's interesting that she says "I want what was promised me. I want what's mine". Does she even know who or what Twilight is?

General Voll's a member of Twilight. So's this Irish Warlock. Voll seems totally ignorant about magic. Seems like a fairly loose, disparate collection of active members.

nerd4hire

Certified Uncloneable
That was the big question of this issue for me too. What was promised Lady G. According to the great, bearded wizard of Northhampton (LOL - love that) it means Apocalypse if she gets it, so what could it be. I don't know...control of the slayer army? She thinks of it as hers, whatever it is.

goldenboy

Scooby
This issue felt very Vaughan-ish. Almost over-the-top, overkill with all the quips. But I never get sick of them.

And yeah, maybe it's just some power grab fantasy on her part.

nerd4hire

Certified Uncloneable
Could one of the TFaw people check in when they get their issue. I want to post a non-spoiler spec thread for 8.07, for the people who don't like spoilers, but I don't want to do it until the bulk of people get # 6.

Mortal

Townie
"Hey, I likes me some kink, but if you think I'm going downtown on this chick, you chose the wrong Chosen One."
okay, so i think we have it settled; Faith is not bi.

as for the issue it was a very promising start for this leg of the story but i have to defer judgment until the other issues are out. And yes, the drawing, of Faith in particular, was just rather bad.

And I loved the ending for some reason: "5 by 5", B.

Panda

hey girlfriend!
^ hahah i love the faith is bi debates.

i absolutely loved this issue. vaughan is always entertaining and is soo good with faith. it really felt like her.

i agree on the drawings of faith, although they were way better than what i was expecting. georges is definitely better at drawing buffy than faith.

Black Eye Guy

Taking over the World!
Black Thorn
Reading this the second time I felt really bad for Faith, she clearly doesn't like being the go to slayer for wetworks. She tried to get a passport and leave, also when she got home she put a stake in the wall, there were 5 others, doesn't that mean she's done at least 5 other missions that really effected her?

I really loved the bonding between Giles and Faith, thats an excellent idea, Giles telling her they wern't do different. That was something I never made a connection with, but now they've said it, makes perfect sense!

I still think there planning something with Xander and Buffy, that scene seemed a little random, but not out of place. Clearly they've gotten closer, Willow was in the castle but wasn't with them.

Lyri

Buckle Up Tight
Sineya
i don't want a Buffy/Xander ship.l but i do agree with BEG, that seems to be where it's leading.

Tranquillity

That'll put marzipan in your pie plate bingo
i don't want a Buffy/Xander ship.l but i do agree with BEG, that seems to be where it's leading.
see, for me, i thought the Buffy/Xander scene really put paid to any suggestion of a romance. it was so reminicent of the tv show - Xander crushing on Buffy, Buffy ignoring his babbling. Classic Buff and Xander.

What else about this issue...

Loved this issue - my fave so far (as others have remarked) i think because there is so much nice, juicy dialogue that sets up coming events really nicely. Faith and Giles were spot on perfect - i could hear them talking in my heads as i read.

So Robin Wood has a troop of newbie slayers. So that makes who - Andrew, robin, Giles and Buffy each with a squad - who's got the others? And Faith didn't get one? (that we know of) which is a bit strange considering that she was very good with the gals in season seven - though is looks like she gets given all the really crappy jobs to do.

Lady Genivive - rich bitch and dangerous! she's confusing too - callous and cruel but then sort of sorry that she killed the other slayer. What has her passably attractive irish warlock promised her?

RE: the passably attractive irish warlock - i predict a big showdown with our Willow - she'll show him that witches don't have to be ugly.

Loved Xander's Sunnydale Swim team shirt - ahh the glory days:)

and Yay, Buffy is dreaming again

Clem Rocks

Scooby
Thoughts about this issue:

Why are you all moaning about the way Faith's drawn? she looks like.....Faith =|

Was nice the see The Doctor and Rose in it, but considering Rose hasn't been in the last series of Doctor Who, you'd have thought it would have been Martha with him instead =|

What was up with a vamp kid calling Faith a whore and making her stab Giles?

Was funny to see Giles finding Faith attractive in her dress at the end lol

Since when was Xander so buff? o_O

Was that a Chimera in Buffy's dream that ate her?

and does anyone else think this issue is just Queen of the Slayers but with a few lil differences?

Lyri

Buckle Up Tight
Sineya
Since when was Xander so buff? o_O
well, this is 18 months after 'Chosen'. he's obviously been working out and training. where does it say that Xander can't be buff? i like it...now if only this was real TV and we could get to see Nicky with a nice buffy body again...

wait, where was i? oh, yeah...

and does anyone else think this issue is just Queen of the Slayers but with a few lil differences?

we don't know what Lady Savidge wants. she might not want to be 'Queen of the Slayers' maybe it's something else that she was promised. we just don't know yet, so i'm gonna resist jumping to conclusions about this arc and that stupid novel.

A
alexa
adsactly what I wanted to say about Xander :) He could be buff if he wanted to.

Clem Rocks

Scooby
Give me a break, does this look like Faith?
The top one does, yes

we don't know what Lady Savidge wants. she might not want to be 'Queen of the Slayers' maybe it's something else that she was promised. we just don't know yet, so i'm gonna resist jumping to conclusions about this arc and that stupid novel.
Queen of the Slayers: Rich slayer with sorcerer boyfried
No Future For You: Rich slayer with socerer friend
Queen of the Slayers:Slayer wants to kill Buffy to become Queen of the Slayers
No Future For You: Buffy dreams of being killed by something that says "The Queen is dead"

You don't see the connections?

TeenageFBI

Townie
I feel like the series has really started to develop it's own identity with this issue (ok...maybe #5 and 6 combined). While I loved the first arc, it did seem a tiny bit shallow as far emotional depth. (Ok maybe emotional depth isn't the exact term I'm looking for but it's the best I could come up with.) Obviously Joss had to set up a lot of backstory for the year between season 7 and season 8, as well as lay the groundwork for what's going to happen coming up the comics.

It was nice having #6 focus more on one character in particular. I felt like the Faith characterization was dead on and it was great having Giles appear in more than just a few panels.

I forgot to check and I don't have my comics with me right now but was this issue longer than the others?

Top Bottom