• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 8.07 "No Future For You Part 2" - Released 10/03/07 (Dark Horse)

nerd4hire

Certified Uncloneable

goldenboy

Scooby
OK. My favorite line: "Frickin' gargoyles? I hate Europe".

Based on cover #8, I now have a theory on where this arc could go...still not sure...

Senior Watcher

~*VH Secret Handshakes*~
i was real excited for this one to come out. #6 ended with faith getting ready to go to lady g's birthday party and i thought we were going to see some real action.

well, there was action, but not much.

dont get me wrong, i am NOT disappointed at all. the prolonging of the 'action' only means that the last 2 issues of this arc will be wicked packed with action!

i also found it cool that lady g thinks that faith (a.k.a hope) will be a valuable asset to her. my gut is telling me that she will eat those words.

in order to win, i think that faith will have to kill g's mentor first. i think this will somehow dwindle g's powers.

anyhow, go faith!

Karl

Townie
I liked it a lot. #7 developed Faith's character somewhat and things are starting to make sense (a little bit lol). We also got to know what Buffy's dream meant. I'm definately excited about the next issue.

Clem Rocks

Scooby
Just read part two and the only thing i have to say is: Was Dawn wearing a thong? *drools* <3

nerd4hire

Certified Uncloneable
Mine is not a visual brain. I always miss, or misinterpret stuff in the pictures. Without reading the posts above me (don't want spoilers yet), I'm going to let you read this issue along with me, if you'd like, so you can fix my mistakes. ;)

* First of all - psyched - I've been waiting for this one.

* The Cover - Faith is chesty. Giles has a scar on his forehead (I think). I'm getting a Pygmalion feel, like Faith as cultured woman is a Giles creation.

I like the variant here too. Doesn't it seem like Jeanty's characters always have a bit of chub to their faces. I don't mind that.

* I'd already read the Dark Horse preview from a couple of weeks back, of the first 6 pages, but I was only confused by it. I'd missed this bit. It's important.

Before I saw that, I wasn't even sure who the narrator was. I get it now though. Although is that in-mind narration, or is she actually speaking those words to Giles? I ask that, because of this.

When I previously read the 6 page preview I wondered if they weren't offering up some sort of bisexual sub-text on the Buffy/Faith thing. They totally decieve you in the preview though. They go from the narration behind the Buffy/Faith flashback directly to this.

So were they just being intentionally deceptive in the preview to get you interested, or were they pointing out subtext? It interests me, because of the bit in issue 6 where Faith says she doesn't swing that way.

But back to the comic. Loving the art. He's caught Faith better this time, I can really feel the emotional nuisances.

I can almost hear Faith doing the faux nobility thing. I'm glad Faith is questioning the morality of what she's there to do. I didn't want them to breeze over that. That Roden is a snake. He needs his ass kicked.

Great Dawn/Willow stuff. Jeanty has those two down pat. My favorite line so far

Renee makes another appearance. She's going to be a major character, no doubt. And they're foreshadowing the inevitable battle with the Twilight to come. Too cool.

Ah Ha. I knew Faith was going to connect with Lady G's humanity, and complicate the purpose of her mission with questions of what's right. Not to pat myself on the back too hard. Is there anyone who didn't know that?

Best fight ever. Loved it. Faith versus the gargoyles. I got so into into it I forgot to copy something from it. My photobucket account has frozen on me anyway, so I guess that's that for that.

OK, so it's starting to look like Gigi (she's becoming Gigi for me now, because I'm starting to like her) is wanting to be "Queen of the slayers". Saw that coming of course, but again, who didn't? Doesn't matter. I like it.

Why does Roden carry the book with him wherever he goes? Is that his weakness? My money's still on Giles to take him out.

Gigi wears a navel ring.

And I get the narration about friendship at the beginning now. There's more to it than Faith/Buffy. It's Hope/Gigi now.

Great issue. I'm going to read it again right now.

goldenboy

Scooby
Does Lady G just want to covertly assassinate Buffy and slyly assume leadership somehow? Is she anticipating a "Slayer civil war"? With a frontal attack, she'd have to kill off the Scoobs, a huge faction of the Slayers just to get started in her quest for the crown, seems like.

CharmedSlayer85

Potential
So I mean in some ways if you look up the QUEEN of the Slayers novel don't we kind of already know the outcome of Season Eight? I'm pretty sure Joss won't use all of it, but that does kind of suck that he's going in that direction when the book was written but I still enjoyed this issue a lot. And yeah I loved the Faith fight with the Gargoyles. Can't wait til the next issue.

PS- The Release for this is 10/03/07 not 09/03/07

nerd4hire

Certified Uncloneable
Let's try this again then. Two writers land on similar plot details. It doesn't mean one is borrowing from the other, or even that one has read the other's stuff. No Future for You has nothing to do with Queen of the Slayers. If Holder happened to guess something right that was coming, good for her, but it means nothing other than that, unless, of course, we're told it does and the similarity was intentional (which I wouldn't be betting large sums on if I were you).

If you wanted to go back for the origin of this plot type I'm pretty sure you could go back to mythology, or even actual histories. It's nothing new, and when you think of Buffy as the queen bee in charge of an army of slayers it's kind of a natural progression into this story. I wouldn't be surprised if there were fanfics predating Holders story, in fact I'd be surprised if there weren't. Did she get the idea from them?

Mortal

Townie
I was reminded of the Buffy episode "Faith, Hope and Trick" because Faith uses the alias Hope. Coincidence? It was the first episode with Faith in it. (Scott) Hope was some guy in school who had a crush on Buffy and Trick was a semi-bad ass vampire. Don't remember what happened to Scott Hope, but he didn't get far after Angel came back. Trick got killed and Buffy bailed Faith out because she was in over her head.

As for the comic, it was fine, it moved the story along. Though Lady G becoming soul mates with Faith over one bummed fag seems a little stretched. And people with Lady G's resources should certainly be able to discover Hope's true identity. But then again it doesn't all have to be realistic to be good, but I dunno, stuff like that gets my attention and makes me think the writers took or had to take shortcuts... They should have dedicated a few more pages to the whole bonding thing imo and cut out something else or just added a few pages to the total length.

A

Allycat

I think you hit the nail right on its head with your comments Mortal. The one big problem of the comics (in comparison to the TV show) is that in the comics there is only a very limited amount of space/time/paper available to tell the story in. I guess in the TV show they could've added a scene that explained how the Council's vastly outsources the Savidge Estate and thus are able to convincingly create a false identity for Faith. Seeing as the comic is only 21 pages the writers really can't bother with details like that as they really need all the room for the main plot. I think they have to take shortcuts like this in order to get the story to move at a decent pace.

Lyri

Buckle Up Tight
Sineya
i still haven't got this yet!! *cries* damn postal strike...

Lyri

Buckle Up Tight
Sineya
*bounces up and down*

got it this morning...loved it. ilove Faith's character, i think she's pulling it off well. i think i know what might happen next, but i'm not saying anything in case i'm wrong.

i'm trying not to get pissed about the 'Roden's from Belfast, but don't hold that against him' why is it that it's just bad guys that come from my prt of the world? lol

i think i know who floaty feet guy in issue #1 was...anybody else see the shrine to Buffy on the last page? i'm probably being realy slow, just getting this now, but the photographs are actually from that first scene of issue #1.

nerd4hire
nerd4hire
Aha! Good catch.

Clem Rocks

Scooby
*bounces up and down*

got it this morning...loved it. ilove Faith's character, i think she's pulling it off well. i think i know what might happen next, but i'm not saying anything in case i'm wrong.

i'm trying not to get pissed about the 'Roden's from Belfast, but don't hold that against him' why is it that it's just bad guys that come from my prt of the world? lol

i think i know who floaty feet guy in issue #1 was...anybody else see the shrine to Buffy on the last page? i'm probably being realy slow, just getting this now, but the photographs are actually from that first scene of issue #1.
Which pic? I don't see any there that show's he was the feet guy? And i thought the feet guy was Ethan Rayne? ::huh1::

btw, anyone else think that Dawn WAS wearing a thong?

VisionGuy

Oh Plerr
Which pic? I don't see any there that show's he was the feet guy? And i thought the feet guy was Ethan Rayne? ::huh1::

btw, anyone else think that Dawn WAS wearing a thong?
Lyri means the pictures of Buffy at the end were taken at the time the flying feet guy was hovering over her in issue one, which would probably mean that warlock was the flying feet guy.

I didn't notice the thong.

Clem Rocks

Scooby
Lyri means the pictures of Buffy at the end were taken at the time the flying feet guy was hovering over her in issue one, which would probably mean that warlock was the flying feet guy.

I didn't notice the thong.
Yeah but when the guy's feet were there, Buffy and the Slayerettes were inside the building

And page 11, it kinda looks like a thong

Lyri

Buckle Up Tight
Sineya
on the last page, you can see photographs on the wallof Buffy, Rowena and Leah. they're all wearing the outfits they were wearing in issue #1, and Buffy has the blaster she used to open the door. all the photograph are taken from an elevated view point...i thought that made it pretty obvious that Floaty Feet Man was Roden.

and so what if Dawn's wearing a thong? she's what? 18 by this point?

Clem Rocks

Scooby
on the last page, you can see photographs on the wallof Buffy, Rowena and Leah. they're all wearing the outfits they were wearing in issue #1, and Buffy has the blaster she used to open the door. all the photograph are taken from an elevated view point...i thought that made it pretty obvious that Floaty Feet Man was Roden.

and so what if Dawn's wearing a thong? she's what? 18 by this point?
18 and hawt <3

And just cuz Roden had photo's like that, doesn't mean he took them, the military must have had surveillance, he could have got it from them, unless Roden was taking photos for them, he could have been incharge of Voll

nerd4hire

Certified Uncloneable
But that doesn't disprove the theory. It only says Roden as the flying feet is theoretical. Lyri presented it as a possible theory, so what's the problem?

Personally I kind of like the theory of Roden for the floating feet. It reminds me of other stuff hinted at that turned out to be true. The significance of XXX as 30, which turned out to mean Ethan was in cell 30. Cinnamon lip gloss meaning Satsu was the one who delivered the waking kiss to Buffy. Stuff like that.

Top Bottom