• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 8.08 "No Future for you #3" Release 11/07/07

MrGordo

hamnoo?
I havent got it yet!! can't wait though! anyway the title is wrong, it says No Future For You #7 it's #3, just thought youd like to change that...:)
Has anyone got it yet? I need my fix of spoilers haha

nerd4hire
nerd4hire
Thanks. Fixed it.

nerd4hire

Certified Uncloneable
I just read it, and yeah, OK, that was fun. Doesn't make my personal "best of list", but some interesting developments to bring up in the canon thread.

Edit:

OK after a few viewings, I've got a question. When Faith jumps Buffy is she protecting Lady G, or is she actually protecting Buffy from Roden's magic blast which apparently is coming from the balcony?

Clem Rocks

Scooby
Anyone know where i can download it so i can read it until i can get to the shops and buy it?

nerd4hire

Certified Uncloneable
Uh...if you read the FAQs you'll discover that's a question you're not supposed to ask. If it was on the open Web, I could help you, but it's not.

There are previews at Dark Horse and Wizard. I believe you can find links to those in the Spoiler threads here in the Season 8 forum.

Clem Rocks

Scooby
Uh...if you read the FAQs you'll discover that's a question you're not supposed to ask. If it was on the open Web, I could help you, but it's not.

There are previews at Dark Horse and Wizard. I believe you can find links to those in the Spoiler threads here in the Season 8 forum.
Oh, sorry, haven't read the FAQs since just before i joined

nerd4hire
nerd4hire
PM me. I'll tell you some secrets

Senior Watcher

~*VH Secret Handshakes*~
WOW! i just read it and i believe it is the calm before the storm. i think its about to hit the fan if you know what i mean.

OK after a few viewings, I've got a question. When Faith jumps Buffy is she protecting Lady G, or is she actually protecting Buffy from Roden's magic blast which apparently is coming from the balcony?
in answer to your question, i think that faith actually helps buffy by pushing her out of the way of rodens spell. her intentions are made clear once they land in the water because buffy is trying to fight faith and faith is trying to tell her that she is on her side......in between punches by buffy of course.

Clem Rocks

Scooby
I'd say she was protecting Buffy, but was enjoying attacking her a lil too much. It's obvious the only problem Faith has with "Gile's golden girl" is that she's jealous.

I think the most important question about this issue is: Who is the mysterious anonymous benefactor? My first and only guess would be Riley, Riley's wife and the Initiative

nerd4hire

Certified Uncloneable
Yeah that was an interesting curveball. The only real hints we might have are Willow doesn't know about them, and Buffy speaks of them in the plural.

I wonder, could it possibly be tied into this comment from Giles in the previous issue.

The initiative eh? I don't know. Wouldn't they be tied to the same government funding The Twilight is?

So who do we have as suspects who might have that kind of money? Buffy and Giles didn't seem to know a lot of rich people.

What's left of the Watcher's council?

The Initiative?

Kennedy's Parents were rich, but Willow would be in on that one, you'd think.

The Immortal, but that's not plural, is it?

Somebody new they've brought in like Trafalgar's people, or the underground dwellers from The Chain, or the great bearded wizard of Northampton ;) ?.

I don't know. For now I'm just going to call them the "Deep Pockets".

Clem Rocks

Scooby
About the The Initiative, it would depend on just how much of the military are involved with the Twilight, it could have just been Voll and his men.

I also thought of the Immortal, but for it to be him, he'd either have to find out it's not the real Buffy he's with, or the Decoy is taking his money without him knowing.

I thought it was just the way Buffy was talking, but i could be wrong and she could be talking about them in the plural, thing is, there's nothing there to suggest that Buffy knows who they are, she probably only knows that someone is giving them money, but doesn't know who.

The only people i can think of from previous seasons of Buffy who would give them loads of money, would be:

Riley, who i already said about and could be getting funding from the Initiative.
Oz, who has been absent for ages and could have got some money in that time.
Or Spike, who doesn't exactly seem poor on the cover of the second issue of After The Fall, and it would explain the secrecy.

Here's a different question:

"Look, I've had older guys in my life before too." "ooh, naughty." "It wasn't like that. They... they used me, Gigi. Told me what i wanted to hear to get me to do their dirty work for them."

Who's she talking about? At first i thought she was talking about Giles sending her there to save the world, when she was really just there to save his golden girl, but the more i thought about it, the more i thought it could be explaining a lil about what happened to make her and Wood split up...

nerd4hire

Certified Uncloneable
Yeah, I get it. Giles is the stress as far as where her head is at the moment, but no doubt it's become a generalized complaint in her mind which she's applied to a larger group of older guys she's been connected to in the past. One could maybe add The Mayor, and even Angel to the group. Certainly there are older guys we don't know about from unseen passages of her life.

You know later when she grabs Buffy out of the moat, and screams "Shut up!"? She's not really talking to Buffy. She's talking to the little irrational voice in her head that feeds her twisted, dark conspiracies like the "older guy" one, or Buffy is the enemy. That's what I think anyway. I think maybe that narrator's voice we've been seeing in purple is Faith's dark voice.

I so love that one frame where we see the old Faith emerge from the moat all pissed. It says it all.

X
XDruX
Thanks for posting those pictyres. At least I can see what the season 8 looks like becaus believe me or not, in France you can't buy it... :(
A

Allycat

Initially, I also thought it was obvious that Faith was trying to save Buffy from Roden's blast. But the more I think about it, the more I feel there's a duality to Faith's actions.

Why did Faith try to talk Gigi out of attacking Buffy? Was it because she was afraid Gigi might hurt Buffy? Or the other way around?
Did Faith save Buffy from Roden's blast? Or did she save Gigi from a pummeling by Buffy?
Which feelings are stronger in Faith; the sense of right (Buffy) and wrong (Gigi/Roden)? Or her hatred/jealousy of Buffy combined with her pity for Gigi, who like Faith, has been betrayed by an older man?

I think Faith is ultimately going to do the right thing, but whether that means actually killing Gigi, I really doubt. I recall the scenario from Sanctuary, but here Faith takes Angel's place and Gigi takes Faith's place.

I really like how this arc is playing out. In my opinion it is so much better than The Long Way Home and The Chain.

I think the most important question about this issue is: Who is the mysterious anonymous benefactor? My first and only guess would be Riley, Riley's wife and the Initiative
I don't think this is the most important question, but it's a very interesting question nonetheless. I have a feeling this isn't one that's gonna be answered quickly.

What's left of the Watcher's council?
I would think that this new Watcher's Council has usurped all the previous incarnation's funds, that hardly makes it a benefactor.

The Initiative?
We still don't know if they are even around any more. In 'As You Were' it didn't seem like the Initiative was active any more and if it was, it appeared to be no more than a handful of black ops. And in the 'Killer in Me' the group that removes Spike's chip might not be the Initiative either, but rather a regular part of the army. The same goes for the base at Drextalcorp. It might just be a regular part of the army, investigating the 'terrorist' attack on Sunnydale.

Kennedy's Parents were rich, but Willow would be in on that one, you'd think.
Given Willow and Kennedy's split, maybe she doesn't. But that would probably mean the benefactors have only recently approached the Council, since after the break-up.

The Immortal, but that's not plural, is it?
No, but who said that it couldn't be The Immortal and somebody else, maybe even an unrelated group of people all given donations.

Somebody new they've brought in like Trafalgar's people, or the underground dwellers from The Chain, or the great bearded wizard of Northampton ?.
All very valid guesses I would say. I personally feel that it might somehow be linked to Giles' meeting in The Long Way Home, Part 3.

Oz, who has been absent for ages and could have got some money in that time.
He's been away for about four and a half, maybe five years when this story plays. Now, I'm not saying it's impossible to amass the wealth that is needed to run the Council, but it's pretty darn tricky. Besides, if he went back to the Tibetan monastery I somehow doubt that he's there to work on a get-rich-quick-scheme.

Or Spike, who doesn't exactly seem poor on the cover of the second issue of After The Fall, and it would explain the secrecy.
However, LA was sucked into hell and we don't know if they've gotten back out yet when this story plays. Also, since the story is set somewhere around November 2004, they can only have gotten funding from Spike for half a year max.

"Look, I've had older guys in my life before too." "ooh, naughty." "It wasn't like that. They... they used me, Gigi. Told me what i wanted to hear to get me to do their dirty work for them." Who's she talking about? At first i thought she was talking about Giles sending her there to save the world, when she was really just there to save his golden girl, but the more i thought about it, the more i thought it could be explaining a lil about what happened to make her and Wood split up...
I think here the plural is really important. Like N4H, I don't think she's talking about one man in particular, but rather a combination of men she met Pre-Sunnydale, as well as the Old Council in its entirety, plus of course Giles. I don't know if she maybe also means Mayor Wilkins and/or Wesley, but I doubt it. I certainly don't think that she means Angel.

As for our purple narrator, I don't think it is the voice of "Dark" Faith, but rather the voice of unsure, hurt, betrayed, and thus mistrusting Faith.

Clem Rocks

Scooby
"What's left of the Watcher's Council?"

I think the only remaining members were Giles, Giles' friend from England whose name i can't remember, and Roger Wyndom Price

nerd4hire

Certified Uncloneable
But then remember that other one, Sirk, popped up at W&H. They can do that, Watchers can. Pop up, I mean.

And remember that wet works guy was talking about how there were alchemists on the board? (Alchemists can turn lead into gold). Was he joking? I don't know.

A

Allycat

But then remember that other one, Sirk, popped up at W&H. They can do that, Watchers can. Pop up, I mean.

And remember that wet works guy was talking about how there were alchemists on the board? (Alchemists can turn lead into gold). Was he joking? I don't know.
Personally, I think a lot more Watchers survived than just Giles, Sirk, Roger Wyndham-Pryce. Although most of them were probably retired.

I think the notion of having an Alchemist on board would have been interesting if it weren't for Heroes.

BTW: What wet works guy?

nerd4hire

Certified Uncloneable
I think the notion of having an Alchemist on board would have been interesting if it weren't for Heroes.

BTW: What wet works guy?
You know. The wet works guys the Watcher's council sent after Faith when she went bad in BTVS, then they crossed over to ATS to pursue Faith there.

Here's the bit about Alchemists on the Watcher's council from Sanctuary.

Weatherby: "Wouldn't cough up the dosh for the airfare home, would they?"
Wesley: "No, they wouldn't."
Smith: "All those alchemists on the board of directors and they still make us fly coach. Miserly bastards."
Collins: "A frugal lot, to be sure, but not stupid.
And yeah, Sirk was a watcher.

A
Allycat
I'd totally forgotten that. So, I guess there really is NOTHING original about Heroes.

Clem Rocks

Scooby
Sirk was the bad guy at Wolfram and Hart that non-corporeal Spike led Fred to without even knowing he was doing it, right?

If he was a Watcher, why was he working at Wolfram and Hart?

white avenger

white avenger
Watchers' Council

"What's left of the Watcher's Council?"

I think the only remaining members were Giles, Giles' friend from England whose name i can't remember, and Roger Wyndom Price
If you remember, Quinton was in the process of calling in operatives from "the field" when Caleb blew up the Council Building. Obviously, the Watchers have more going on than supervising/training Potentials and Slayers.

nerd4hire

Certified Uncloneable
This is from the Angel Season 4 finale, Home.

WESLEY
Impressive. And does the Watcher's Council know you stole
the only known copy of the Codex when you left?
SIRK
There is no Council.
WESLEY
Not anymore, no. So you opted to what? Play for the other
side"¦ cross the line?
SIRK
These are complicated times. Lines become blurry. How did
you know?
WESLEY
Something about Watchers and"¦
(Wesley drops the book and punches Sirk in the head, dropping him.)
"¦libraries.

Top Bottom