• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 8.09 "No Future For You Pt 4" - Released 12/05/07 (Dark Horse)

tommy

spill things on your idol
Hopefully I'll get mine this week. Ordered the variant with Faith and Giles on the cover because I don't actually like the naked Faith + fire regular cover. I just pick one cover each month.

goldenboy

Scooby
Wow. Good issue. I thought Vaughan wrapped this up really nicely. This comic continues to surprise, that's the cool thing"”the reveal at the end is pretty darn good.

nerd4hire

Certified Uncloneable
Great arc. Great story. Great reveal.

Discussion of the story coming up, so fair warning. Trust me, you don't want to be spoiled here.

First of all who's the (wo)man behind the mask.

T
tommy
thanks for the warning, i must remember to not look

Ronin

Townie
I liked this arc a lot, even more than the first one.

I was, however, angry at the way Giles reacted to Buffy. I wanted to reach inside the comic and smack him. I mean, is he still bitter about what Buffy said to him in season 7, about having learned all she needed to from him, and Spike saying that she had surpassed him? If so, then he’s acting petty and childish. I wish that Buffy would have really laid into him, instead of just feeling hurt and being passive. This, after all, isn’t the first time he’s undermined her. How can the slayer orginazation operate efficiently if Giles is keeping Buffy out of the loop on some pretty significant matters? And when did they start referring to Giles as the Boss, or did I misread that and Xander was referring to Buffy?

Except for that one thing I thought this was a great issue. I can’t wait for the next one.

goldenboy

Scooby
Yeah, I hear ya on the Giles thing. It's like there are certain traits, behaviors that characters can never quite move beyond. Giles so often feels the need to protect Buffy, withhold information, do 'the dirty work'. And it gets him in trouble more often than not.

There was something exciting about Giles and Faith leaving the fold like that though.

sosa lola

Scooby
And when did they start referring to Giles as the Boss, or did I misread that and Xander was referring to Buffy?

Xander was talking about Buffy because when he said "The boss needs an alone time." Buffy answers, "Is there another kind?"

That was one powerful arc. I wasn't that interested in Faith's character before No Future For You, IMO it's the best Faith episode so far. I have enjoyed the continuation of the Buffy/Giles conflict that started since S7, I wish we get to see the why in Giles' actions though, I don't like when the writers get one sided, leaving us sympathize with Buffy, and making the other character the bad guy, I like to sympathize and understand both parties.

Clem Rocks

Scooby
So Twilight was floating feet guy! =O

and wow, almost couldn't read that issue because it was so gory x_X

A

Allycat

Another great issue! NFFY definitely beats LWH.

Like sosa lola, I think that NFFY was the best Faith story so far. The Faith/Giles dynamic is an interesting and fresh one. And the conflict between Giles and Buffy, further pushes her to be a leader, so that's good.

Of course, the most interesting thing about the issue is probably the reveal at the end. Twilight looks a bit like the Redeemer from Spawn or Darth Revan from Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. And he's really creepy!

tommy

Just got it.

Giles found a useful spell in that book pretty fast, huh? It's a wonder anybody is still alive if you can kill a man with a few words in the right order. I was thinking last issue that Roden could have been waiting with a gun when he teleported Buffy in; shot her while she was being sick. Sometimes it feels like the good guys win too easy.

It's a shame that Giles and Buffy aren't on speaking terms. I'm not quite sure how it came to that. I'd like to see them have a proper talk soon to patch things up - we haven't really seen them together in Season 8 yet - and hopefully we'll continue to see Faith regularly now that she and Giles have entered into a partnership.

Clem Rocks

Scooby
Giles found a useful spell in that book pretty fast, huh?
Now that you mention it, it is a bit funny he found that spell straight away....o_O

It's a shame that Giles and Buffy aren't on speaking terms. I'm not quite sure how it came to that.
I think Buffy's problem with Giles is the same as Faith's problem with him. Faith was jealous that Buffy is his main girl when she found out she was on a mission to save her, and Buffy's upset cause she thinks she's no longer Giles' main girl because he is working with someone they can't trust instead of working with her.

Here's some questions for you:

1. Now that we know there's more military involved than just Voll's group, do you think Twilight's followers were mentioned in Season 7? In the episode where Riley showed up with his wife, his wife told Willow that they had some mystics then OD'ed on the black magic like she did, and that she was strong to come back from it. Now assuming that meant they went all black eyed and veiny, do you think Roden could have been involved with them? Not everyone when they get alot of magic goes black eyed and veiny, i don't remember it ever happening to Amy, and i know it didn't happen to Giles when he came back to fight Willow (although that can be argued that he wasn't using black magic). And if the military and mystics from that episode are working for Twilight, and knowing that it has been said that Riley might be in season 8 at some point, do you think Riley could be one of Twilight's followers?

2. Seeing as it now looks like Twilight is floaty feet guy from issue 1, do you think that Twilight can fly/float for a long time without needing a break, or is the mountain that he is on (That looks like a volcano to me) pretty close to the Slayer's castle?

3. Did we ever find out what happened to Voll? One minute he was talking to Buffy, the next he's never heard of again. Did the slayers capture him? kill him? let him go? or do we just don't know yet?

A
Allycat
Since this is mostly speculation on Twilight, I'm gonna reply in the "Who Do You Think the Big Bad is?" thread. U do have some interesting points.

tommy

No clue about Riley. It looks to me like Twilight can suspend himself in mid-air. Not sure if he descended from high above when Lieutenant Molter called out to him, or maybe he has an invisibility cloak, or he can turn into mist. I assume they let Voll go after LWH. If they took him hostage, that's just asking for an immediate attack by the soldier boys, and they probably wanted to get out of the enemy base quickly, out of danger, so they didn't stick around to interrogate him. Some things need explaining.

In NFFY part 1, Buffy said she was getting swallowed by a monster every night. Sort of a griffon thing that says "The queen is dead. Long live the queen." What's that about?

goldenboy

Scooby
Yet another premonitory dream maybe, from Buffy's perspective. Buffy's the (slayer) 'queen' so to speak. It's all sort of referring back to Sex Pistols lyrics..."God save the queen", "no future, no future for you"...

In retrospect, seems like it all had to do with Gigi. She had slayer dreams. And she was having bad dreams too, wasn't she?

tommy

I'm just wondering if this Twilight guy is putting these nightmares into her head, or maybe it's just a slayer thing.

Lyri

Buckle Up Tight
Sineya
just got this this morning, and i gotta say, i loved how they wrapped everything up. i liked that it was actually Faith that killed Gigi, but she immediatly felt bad about it and demanded that Roden fix her. it was kinda like a throw back to S3, when Faith killed the D. Mayor, but instead of throwing her off the deep end like it did back then, it kinda brought her back into the light, whith her social working idea.

i liked Giles' reveal, and the fatc that he killed Roden with one of his own spells. but i admit, he did find it pretty darn quickly.

the reveal of 'Twilight' was great. it's awesome to see the bad guy 'in the flesh' i can't wait for issue #11 now, for that big ass knock down fight.

i wanna know just who exactly Twilight's working for/with. is he/she/it part of the military? is Riley and/or Sam involved?

Tranquillity

That'll put marzipan in your pie plate bingo
Awesome issue!
On the first read i was a bit blase about it but then i found i couln't stop thinking about it and subsequently re-read it numerous times. There was so much to like about it as so many questions put forward. I was surprised that Roden and Gigi were both dispatched so quickly and so bloodily and i did feel kind of bad for Gigi. Faith was perfect - her reaction to the fight all gutsy and ballsy and her reaction to the death, regretful and sorrow.

Love how Giles and Faith seem to have come to an understanding. I is interesting that this happens when Giles is on the periphery of the group, like two outsiders drawn together in a common purpose. I get the impression that things haven't been quite right with Buffy and Giles for quite a while - probably as a ongoing legacy of their difficulties in season 7 - hopefully we'll get more information on this soon. I do feel for Buffy too - that expression on her face when she asks what other kind is there other than 'alone' time is just heartbreaking. Surrounded by friends and junior slayer and she still feels alone! Will she ever feel not alone? (I think somebody needs a big hug from Spike :))

As for twilight well all i can say is that it is very intreaguing. He (it) seems magic, what with the floating and all, yet wants to 'bring the age of magic to a close'. It would seem that the story is building to tie in with the context of Fray which is really cool. I'm not sure i understand Twilight's strategy though -(on the last page) who are the 'victors' he talks of and why does it suit him to have them remove themselves from the chessboard if he wants them to wage war for him? weird.

nerd4hire

Certified Uncloneable
Lieutenant Molter says there's an "Inside man" at castle Summers, so who's the traitor, I wonder?

Hope it's not Renee. I like her. It would fit though. Xander's problem with women, and all.

Kean

Professional Bangel
Sineya
What about Satsu? be interesting...in love with the enemy...although Buffy has played that card a little too much

Top Bottom