• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 8.10 "Anywhere But Here" - Released 01/02/08 (Dark Horse)

nerd4hire

Certified Uncloneable

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8: #10 Anywhere but Here

Writer: Joss Whedon
Cover Artist: Jo Chen
Penciller: Cliff Richards
Inker: Andy Owens
Colorist: Dave Stewart

"Buffy and Willow meet a demon who reveals a dim future, forcing the two to reflect on their past. Meanwhile, back in Scotland, Dawn confides in Xander the deed that led to her mysterious growth spurt."

Dark Horse Comics > Profile > Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8: #10 Anywhere but Here

A

Allycat

This issue is the best one so far and it also feels the most like the TV series.

Therewith endeth the spoiler-free discussion.

First of all, the art; I'm diggin' it. Cliff Richards' work looks a little darker and a little more mature, which is just what this issue needs in my opinion. Jeanty's work is a little more frivolous and fun. Cliff doesn't have all of the characters down quite the way Georges does. Dawn looked a bit unfriendly and Kennedy looked a bit skinny. With the exception of that one frame with only her face, that was spot on.

The plot for this issue is a bit flimsy and seems to be merely a device to get some of the backstory out and some character development going. Luckily, said character development is delightfully Whedonesque. The whole Willow/Buffy/Kennedy/Tara thing is too touching. The schism at the end between Buffy and Willow is curious to say the least. I wonder if Joss is once again seperating her from all the people close to her on purpose. First, Dawn and her don't get along, then she and Giles split, now Buffy and Willow; what's up with that? Although, it would seem things are not as bad as they seem between Buffy and Giles, if he is still briefing her.

Although, it's main function seemed to be to built dramatic tension between parts of the main story, the Dawn/Xander side-story was interesting too, if maybe a little clichéd as Xander pointed out. So, Dawn is a giant skank; I have to admit I didn't see that one coming, but it's a good twist. Question: is Kenny the thricewise or Nick? Something I also wouldn't have guessed is that Buffy and the Slayers have stolen the funding. It seems very unlike Buffy.

The celebrity guest appearances were cool. I wonder if Joss/Dark Horse had to get permission to use their likeness? Tina Fey rocks in 30 Rock and Daniel Craig was awesome as Bond. Surprise, surprise, Joss has taste. One more thing is that I like how they connected this issue with different events from previous seasons, like Parker. It adds to the realism.

Finally, there's one more important thing I want to discuss: BETRAYAL. There's two lines that worry me.

Willow said:
No. I won't betray you. Any more than I have.
What does she mean exactly? I'm not sure. I think what she means is that she wouldn't choose Buffy over her significant other again, and in retrospect wishes she hadn't. Although, she couldn't have known. But like I said, I'm not sure what to make of this line, so any input is appreciated.

Robin said:
Betrayal. The closest, the most unexpected.
Is this Robin referring to that whole thing with Willow above... or, as I'm thinking, is she referring to Twilight's man-on-the-inside? I'm a bit scared by the "the closest"... I mean Dawn, Willow, and Giles are all not very close to Buffy right now, so that would just leave Xander. It's hard to imagine him betraying her.

PS: Can anyone confirm that the paper this issue was printed on is somehow different from the normal paper?

GATEGOD

Anyanka
Allycat said:
This issue is the best one so far and it also feels the most like the TV series.
Really? I haven't got it yet, another few hours I'll be going to get it, Hopefully!! :lmao: You're making me jumpy I so want to read it!!

Senior Watcher

~*VH Secret Handshakes*~
allycat, great post. you said everything i was going to say.....except WAY better.

i agree. this issue has A TON of stuff going on. lots of twists and turns and tension, oh my (wizard of oz reference)! keep in mind that this is a 25 page comic as opposed to the normal 22 pages. i wish they would always do an extra 3 pages because i feel they were able to add so much more to the story.

Question: is Kenny the thricewise or Nick? Something I also wouldn't have guessed is that Buffy and the Slayers have stolen the funding. It seems very unlike Buffy.
i think that kenny is the thricewise. reason: after he found out about dawn cheating on him, he got mad (and rightly so) and made her big. think about it; why would nick make her big when hes the one that slept with her!

as for the buffy stealing thing?! i have no idea what is going on. i had to read that part twice to make sure my eyes did not deceive me. im sure that all questions on that story line will be answered soon.

PS: Can anyone confirm that the paper this issue was printed on is somehow different from the normal paper?
i think it was printed on worse paper than normal. the 'binding' edge (where the staples are) had smeared black ink. the smearing was very light, but dark enough to see. as a matter of fact, i didnt even notice it until i went up to the counter to buy it and the girl behind the counter looked at it and said, "you should take this back to the rack and get another one with no smudging on it." unfortunatley, they all had smudging.

final note: the fan letters in the back are tear jerkers. if you cry easily, feel free to read them, but make sure you have a box of tissues near by. very sad stuff.......but its also encouraging as well.

Clem Rocks

Scooby
Question: is Kenny the thricewise or Nick?
Haven't read it yet, but seeing as everyone who met Kenny said he was a thricewise including Giles, who only spoke to him on the phone and knew he was a thricewise. I'd say it's still Kenny :p

A
alexa
yeah it is. Seems to me Kenny put the mojo on Dawn after he found about about what she had done

Evilyn

Symphony of Destruction
So, the whole Buffy stealing thing totally threw me off guard. There is kind of a funny story that goes along with that. My husband is manager/head of security at a local bar. We were having "date night" when he got the call that the bar had just been "shot up" in a drive by. So, naturally we had to end our evening so he could go to work and review the security tapes. While we are sitting in the super secret batcave like security area, I decide no better time to read "my Buffy" as I like to call it. He and his assistant head of security are reviewing the tape and when I reach that part, I blurt out loud "OH MY GOD! Buffy robbed a bank! I can't believe she did that!". Totally inappropriate timing, and probably not as funny as I thought, but I like to share my idiocy with everyone!: scratch:crazy:

So, anyway sorry bout that. This was probably the most confusing read for me so far. (More than likely attributed to lack of sleep). I loved the fantasy scenes, especially the one with Buffy and the two Christian Bales. (Possible nod to the Dark Knight rumors?) Xander telling Dawn she had just become a cliche made me laugh out loud. Has she really been that sheltered in her "life"? Overall though, I'm not sure what to think of it. I am going to read it again today after I've had my coffee, maybe I can make more sense of it then.

The Chosen
The Chosen
omfg lol! (@ the bar story)
nerd4hire
nerd4hire
LOL. Good one.

Clem Rocks

Scooby
Just read it, and the first thing i've gotta say is, god the art sucks D= it's almost as bad as After The Fall! The only recognisable person is Kennedy

Thoughts:

What was the deal with the broken magic egg where future Buffy gets hurt?

What made Buffy want to rob a bank? and how'd she get the slayerettes to go along with it?

Who has to win the war for magic to die? Twilight or Buffy? Up until now, it looked like Twilight, but after this issue, i'm not so sure

Why does Buffy think that Willow's a demon?

And a great quote from this issue

Xander: You ever see the first guy Buffy slept with in college?
Dawn: Riley?
Xander: Oh how she wishes

:lmao:

E
Evilyn
That is a really good quote.
A
Allycat
That quote was the funniest thing this season so far.

Lyri

Buckle Up Tight
Sineya
i got this today, and i thought it was an ok story.

i LOVED the fact that Dawn's a giant because of a revenge kick. i was really struggling with the idea that she was big because she slept with a thricewise. it's a very Joss thing to put in a twist like this.

so, the outside funding is that Buffy's a bank robber. what, did she get tips from Anya? i'm not sure how i feel about that whole twist. on the one hand, i'm loving the fact that Buffy's finally using her powers for personal gain. Faith tried hard to get her to do that, even once. but it takes the fact that she has to look after hundreds of Slayers that forces her to do this.

on the other hand, Buffy's supposed to be the good guy. she's not supposed to be robbing banks and beating up security guards. i'm having a hard time swallowing the fact that she even thought of doing it in the first place.

Robin's character, i was a little disappointed. i thought the whole idea was that the competion winner was supposed to have some huge part in this comic. not be someone's 'minder'. i was expecting her to be some sort of Slayer or something. maybe she'll show up later and have a bigger part.

the ending confused me. Buffy and Willow walking away in opposite directions was hard to see. i don't want her to be distant from her friends again, i like having them all together!!

Buffy mentioning that Faith tried to kill her makes me think that she hasn't spoken to Faith or Giles since the whole thing with Gigi. so, she either doesn't want to, and has been ignoring their calls, or Giles and Faith have decided that they don't need Buffy for whatever their gonna do now. which i kinda like. i'm really digging the Faith an Giles show.

i'm sorta on the fence when it comes to this issue. hopefully the next issue will be better.

A
Allycat
She is still on speaking term with Giles; he gave her the details for this mission. Also Robin was only supposed to have a cameo and Joss greatly expanded her role.

tommy

spill things on your idol
Oh... I'm late again. By the time my copy arrives I'll read this thread properly and find that everything I wanted to say has been said. My eyes accidentally focused on a spoiler on this page - I must flee! Good to hear that people really like this issue.

S
Senior Watcher
sorry if i spoiled anything for you. i hate that.

GATEGOD

Anyanka
Although, it's main function seemed to be to built dramatic tension between parts of the main story, the Dawn/Xander side-story was interesting too, if maybe a little clichéd as Xander pointed out.
I could easily see that :lmao: I found it funny that Dawn is called a skank lol!!

Shocked though when Buffy was actually stealing... she's killed things for less.. and now she's taking up the life of a criminal. Faith would be proud.

The whole willow split from Buffy and her still wanting and loving and holding onto Tara... when Xander hasn't even mentioned Anya .. ::huh1:: not a highlight for me but atleast she finally came out and blamed herself..again, for Tara's death.

Loved the art, the whole reason they went to the mystical place was a little sketchy but we did learn quite a few more things which is always good. Loved seeing Kennedy, even though I couldn't tell it was Kennedy until they started talking :p I wish willow could be hung up with one of her other loves, instead of just Tara all the time, but I guess she still kicks herself everyday for it. Which is sad. Anyway! I still want to see if her and Oz ever become a thing or if they ever talk about Anya ^_^ But I liked this issue :D

Tranquillity

That'll put marzipan in your pie plate bingo
So did Buffy rob the bank or was it something that hasn't happened yet or the demon feeding them lies? Agree with those above who have observed it is most un-buffylike behaviour. Have to admit that i found parts of this one a bit confusing and it will require many re-readings. I did think that Kenedy looked very pretty and the Willow revelations re: Buffy's resurrection and tara's death were quite touching and most interesting.

GATEGOD

Anyanka
So did Buffy rob the bank or was it something that hasn't happened yet or the demon feeding them lies? Agree with those above who have observed it is most un-buffylike behaviour. Have to admit that i found parts of this one a bit confusing and it will require many re-readings. I did think that Kenedy looked very pretty and the Willow revelations re: Buffy's resurrection and tara's death were quite touching and most interesting.
I think the bank robbing was what really happened. I think the demon thing was telling the truth. Buffy sees herself as larger then life, she leads all these extraordinary young women, she protects the outside world, but ignores there laws to do it.

mikey3319

Townie
DUDE YOURE MESSED!! The art looked just like the real cast!! I dont know what you were smokin' when you read this.

Edit:

Just read it, and the first thing i've gotta say is, god the art sucks D= it's almost as bad as After The Fall! The only recognisable person is Kennedy

Thoughts:

What was the deal with the broken magic egg where future Buffy gets hurt?

What made Buffy want to rob a bank? and how'd she get the slayerettes to go along with it?

Who has to win the war for magic to die? Twilight or Buffy? Up until now, it looked like Twilight, but after this issue, i'm not so sure

Why does Buffy think that Willow's a demon?

And a great quote from this issue

Xander: You ever see the first guy Buffy slept with in college?
Dawn: Riley?
Xander: Oh how she wishes

:lmao:

the art was perfect, looked just like the cast

Clem Rocks

Scooby
DUDE YOURE MESSED!! The art looked just like the real cast!! I dont know what you were smokin' when you read this.

Edit:

the art was perfect, looked just like the cast
The only issue so far that has perfect art, is part two of No Future for You, where it actually has Anthony Steward Head on the cover!

Rowan Hawthorn

Potential
Man, I didn't think the show had been off the air that long. The art was okay - it's a comic, after all, I'm not expecting photo-realism - but it in no way looked just like the real cast.

LittleMissLikesToFight

Into Every Generation...
Willow, besides the cover, looked nothing lik her. The cover was insane though, i mean it looked SO much like the both of them! Its my favorite cover so far (and of what ive seen of the future issues).

I just got it today by sheer luck... I went to my local comic book store... they said they were sold out already and it wouldnt be in til next week if they ordered more... i left and the boy working the counter chased me down and said they found one! Talk about lucky! I thanked them a million times over. Now i know to not even wait a couple of days and to go the day of release!

Anyway, i am CONFUSED. I will definately have to read it again. I'm not sure what happened, what was the future, what was just lies... maybe im just slow i don't know.

Poor Dawnie, we all make stupid decisions we have to live with... and Xander was so understanding. And omg so funny when he's "in the frilly" and she's like "relax, its a camisole" haha! Very cute.

And i also liked... "bette-not better! less better!" when Willow was descending haha the dialogue in this one was definitely some of the best. Love the double Christian Bale thing too that was sooo funny.

VisionGuy

Oh Plerr
This was a good episode (yes I call them episodes.) It felt like an actual BtVS episode to me because the dialogue was spot on. Although I'm starting to get pissed at TFAW for sending me the freaking variants. It's been three issues already. They should just let you pick what cover you want.

A
alexa
have to rep you for your avatar that's freaking me out, heh
Top Bottom