• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 8.11 "A Beautiful Sunset" - Released 02/06/08 (Dark Horse)

nerd4hire

Certified Uncloneable
I won't be able to get to this one for a while. If the identity of the big bad is revealed could somebody tell me quick, so I can close out the "who's the Big Bad" house cup points competition in THIS THREAD

Clem Rocks

Scooby
Dunno if you guys have seen this yet

Wikipedia: Buffy invites Satsu to dust a group of vampires at a graveyard. There, Buffy declares to Satsu that she knows Satsu was her true love's kiss from "The Long Way Home". Suddenly, Twilight attacks both of the girls and introduces to Buffy his malicious plan to destroy all of the Slayers

sosa lola

Scooby
If we already read the issue, should we put it under spoiler tags or just spit out our review. :)

nerd4hire

Certified Uncloneable
Technically the rules are the same as they were for episodes when the show was airing. If the issue is out, and it says "Discussion of..." in the title with a date, people should know what to expect if they click on the link.

With the comics there was confusion at first, because people get the issues at different times depending on where, or how they get it. They needed an adjustment perioed. I was giving people a little time to have a little chat, then I'd say OK here comes the spoilers. Time to run if you haven't read the issue yet, but that's not very efficient is it?

We'll start posting a separate non-spoiler speculation thread from here on out, and for this discussion thread feel free to discuss the issue openly.

Anyway...here come the spoilers.

So Sosa Lola have you read it? Do we get to find out who or what Twilight is?

sosa lola

Scooby
I'll leave that question unanswered, it's better you find out while reading the issue :)

SPOILERS:

Buffy encourages Xander to ask Renee out.

Xander throws a party for Dawn to make her feel better, and she gets to drink lots for beer, seeing that in Scotland she's in the legal age to drink.

Buffy lets Satsu down gently, telling her that it's a good thing they won't be dating, because Buffy's boyfriends tend to leave (sent to hell, burn, get vamps to feed off of them), and generally Buffy opens up to Satsu in a way we never saw her do before.

Twilight interrupts their conversation and kicks both their asses, making Buffy doubt her decision to give all potentials their slayer powers.

nerd4hire

Certified Uncloneable
I'm not sure I was clear. There are no spoilers in this thread unless they're for an upcoming issue, and yes tag those. Anything that's in 8.11 can be discussed. I need to know if Twilight is revealed in this issue, otherwise this contest I'm running elsewhere on this site is void.

Never mind. Don't worry about it. I'll close that contest thread, and re-open it when I get the answer.

A

Allycat

No, it does not reveal the identity of Twilight. We do learn that he/she has itches when he/she removes the the lower part of his/her mask (in a spider-man like fashion) and he/she has a pretty firm jawline. Conclusion... likely a male human.

I didn't think this issue was too spectacular. I liked the Buffy/Satsu dialogue I just wished there was a little bit more of it. Twilight's introduction was not quite as cool as it looks on the cover. There's a couple of punches being thrown, but it doesn't look like either Buffy or Twilight is really trying too hard. As Twilight says later on it wasn't about the physical battle, but rather about the opportunity to discuss morality with her. Still he no longer seems as scary as he did before I read this issue. Part of that maybe due to the itchy neck. Don't get me wrong, I like a villain who has is very human at the core, but this was just a bit too mundane for my taste.

PS: The first letter by Joss, the explanation that The Chain was dedicated to Janie Kleinman, was very touching imho.

goldenboy

Scooby
Man, what a tease with the almost reveal of Twilight. I was almost thinking it was gonna be Giles under that mask. The dude seems to understand Buffy's history, psychology pretty darn well, whoever it is.

It's good to have Jeanty back for this issue. I think they're using a duller paperstock now; looks less glare-y to me. I'm liking Jeanty's panels more and more. The backgrounds are cleaner, simpler, easier to follow.

Overall, a good if not great issue. Buffy's in total somber/reflective mode.

Tranquillity

That'll put marzipan in your pie plate bingo
I was thinking it could be Xander as i was reading, he did send Buffy to the graveyard and all, but then i had a close look at the drawings and Xander is always drawn with a round chin while Twilight's is squared. But you do get the impression that it is someone who knows Buffy, don't you - well i did. I really liked this issue, i re-read it three times straight and looked at everything that was said trying to figure out who Twilight is...but i've got nothing. Will we get the big reveal next issue? When we do finally get it, it will probably be a completely new character and we'll all be like - who?

Clem Rocks

Scooby
Just read it and i gotta say, pretty good issue. Talking, fighting and jokey jokes, just how Buffy should be.

Some really good stuff in this issue: The artists can draw vampire gamefaces pretty well, Dawn has noticable boobs *Drools* and Buffy can infact hold the Scythe properly! =D i've been waiting to see her hold it properly all season. Nice to see she can throw it, stake first, too =]

Love some of the lines in it like "The sweetest thing will be your bloo-" "ACK! Please. We're talking" XD

And am i the only one that thinks Buffy's actualy gonna turn gay for Satsu and then eventualy if (Well, when really) Satsu and Kennedy get killed, she'll get with Willow?
Also nice to see an Angel, Spike, and if we really must, Riley reference too ^^

Now, onto the big question: Twilight. I'm gonna say it's Caleb, because

1. Caleb is in this issue as a flashback right at the start
2. Twilight knows how Buffy killed Caleb. I find it hard to believe that Twilight has been stalking her that long, and it's abit of a coincidence that there's two Caleb references in one issue, and the only people that saw how Buffy killed Caleb are Spike and Angel....which would explain the jacket ;)
3. Twilight seems freakishly strong, holding up part of a church and breaking Satsu's sword, so i'd say there's some First power in him

But, incase it's not Caleb (Or Angel ((Or maybe Angelus =O)) who i am starting to suspect since writing this) i'm gonna read past issues and look for people scratching their neck, i'll let you know if i find anything lol

P.S. I don't mean to be dirty or anything, but does it look to anyone else that in the panel on the last page where all the Slayerettes are play fighting, that the one in the white shirt with stars on it is touching up the one next to her? O_O;;;

Edit:

Edit: No-one in previous issues has itchy neck D=

Kemy
Kemy
Yes you are, Buffy = Straight, sorry
white avenger
white avenger
As much as I want to agree with Kemy, I feel that I simply MUST point out that the same could be said for Willow before Tara.
A

Allycat

Now, onto the big question: Twilight. I'm gonna say it's Caleb, because

1. Caleb is in this issue as a flashback right at the start
2. Twilight knows how Buffy killed Caleb. I find it hard to believe that Twilight has been stalking her that long, and it's abit of a coincidence that there's two Caleb references in one issue, and the only people that saw how Buffy killed Caleb are Spike and Angel....which would explain the jacket ;)
3. Twilight seems freakishly strong, holding up part of a church and breaking Satsu's sword, so i'd say there's some First power in him
1. So, are Rona, Vi, Satsu, and the little baseball player.
2. Huh??? Where did you gather this from? It's not in my issue that Twilight knows this. But as you pointed out, it's not likely that Twilight's been spying on Buffy for that long. After all, his beef with her started after Chosen.
3. Could be another agent of the First. Also, we've seen other characters with similar power-levels; Jasmine, Illyria, Glory, Willow.

white avenger
white avenger
How about if it weere that pesky Immortal we've been cheated out of seeing so far?

Clem Rocks

Scooby
1. So, are Rona, Vi, Satsu, and the little baseball player.
2. Huh??? Where did you gather this from? It's not in my issue that Twilight knows this. But as you pointed out, it's not likely that Twilight's been spying on Buffy for that long. After all, his beef with her started after Chosen.
3. Could be another agent of the First. Also, we've seen other characters with similar power-levels; Jasmine, Illyria, Glory, Willow.
2. On the page right before they go flying. Buffy tries to slice him in half the same way she did to Caleb. Twilight: "I know that move, Slayer."

A
alexa
nice observation
A

Allycat

Oh wow, I hadn't recognised that move. I thought it just meant that Twilight had also been studying her fighting style. Of course, it could be she used this move on others than Caleb in the one-and-a-half year after Chosen. But it might also be a huge hint.

I'm still not convinced Twilight is Caleb though.

PS: Is it coincidence that we haven't seen Spike in his leather jacket yet in After the Fall?!?

Clem Rocks

Scooby
Oh wow, I hadn't recognised that move. I thought it just meant that Twilight had also been studying her fighting style. Of course, it could be she used this move on others than Caleb in the one-and-a-half year after Chosen. But it might also be a huge hint.

I'm still not convinced Twilight is Caleb though.

PS: Is it coincidence that we haven't seen Spike in his leather jacket yet in After the Fall?!?
Thinking that maybe Twilight stole his jacket?

Spike Angelus

Vampire With a Soul
I could tell Joss wrote this without looking at the writing credits. His writing alweays make the comic feel like an episode of the TV show. And why shouldn't it, it's his baby.
"A Beautiful Sunset" had the same feeling, IMO, and the season 5 episode where Buffy first goes up against Glory (sorry, I can't remember the title). I have a theroy on who Twillight is. I can't wait to see it I'm right.

My favorite part is when it looks like Twilight's goign to unmask him self, only to say "Sorry, itchy neck." Classic Joss line right there!

Clem Rocks

Scooby
Just read it again and noticed more stuff

Questions:

How did Dawn get inside the castle? o_O
How did Amy know that someone in the room back in The Long Way Home (Satsu) was in love with Buffy? Could Satsu be the inside man(girl)?
How does Twilight see through his mask? It has no eye holes...

And speaking of Twilight, i realised two things

1. It can't be someone Buffy already knows, because she would recognise his voice
2. What he meant by "My first gift is my last" is that he would not kill Buffy there and then, that was his first gift to her, but it would also be the last gift he gave her

white avenger
white avenger
She wouldn't recognise his voice if the mask muffeled it or he simply changed it.
F
FaithyFivebyFive
Did Amy just say she could be awoken with a kiss from True love? Wasn't it Willow that said it was someone in the room... Suggesting SHE knew it was Satsu...
Top Bottom