• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 8.12 "Wolves at the Gate Part 1" - Released 03/05/07 (Dark Horse)

Five

Magical Proficiency Level
This "episode" was so surprising.

First of all, as I've already discussed, Buffy sleeping with Satsu. The only thing coming to my mind is "WTF???!!!". I was so surprised I didn't even think it was real.

Karma's a bitch for Buffy when everybody finds out she's been doing the nasties, though.

Willow's back : yaaaay !!! I wish she'd never leave again.

The new vamps are interesting, I kind of thought of Dracula when they were discussing their strange powers but Xander actually going to his house was really great, I love how they re-use past elements from the TV show. I'm looking forward to finding out what the scythe-stealing is about. "It's the scythe scythe. My scythe."

PS : forgive me for my English which must not be very good, I'm French. I hope you don't mind.

X
XDruX
Don't worry, you're not the only French there :) Moi aussi :)

goldenboy

Scooby
I hadn't read the NYT spoiler stuff, so I was caught off guard. Honestly, I was shocked, then kind of pissed and sad, for minute or so. They're messing with a core character in this fairly radical way for...what? Some kind of comic book stunt?

But yeah, it makes some kind of sense, in the context of this season, especially. And she was so broody and isolated, end of last issue. Then it just started turning into a beautiful farce as everybody kept walking in on them, lol. Great scene. It actually reminded me of a scene in Y: The Last Man.

Loved the Superman stuff with Andrew and Willow, brilliant. Dawn sleeps in a barn, heh. The new Japanese vamps are quite cool.

And I officially love the look of this book now. Better paper, Jeanty's style has settled into something consistently good, and Michelle Madsen...she does great coloring. It's more muted, naturalistic. Not sure if she's gonna be a regular or not.

A

Allycat

Wow, great issue! Loved it! It was over quite fast though, that was sort of a bummer. I'm glad they're bringing the funnies back into the series, because S8 has been kinda lacking the light stuff. And the scene where everybody finds out about Buffy was too funny.

I'm glad the Xander/Renee thing is moving forward. Even though I'm still pretty sure that she's Mottler's daughter and thus the inside man. I think that Rander and Batsu (that sounds funny) are just ways to set things up for Bander. :D

I did read the NYT article, so I had an idea of what was coming. I was a bit sceptical at first, but after reading the issue, I thought it was completely believable: very well executed.

And as for the main-plot; it seems interesting, even though we've really only seen the set-up of it. I like that they're bringing Dracula in and that they're addressing "Antique".

I am kinda bummed that I didn't get the variant though... I'm thinking about e-Baying it. Or if anyone wants to trade, I got a regular for you. ;)

In response to your queries, goldenboy: I think Scott Allie confirmed somewhere that Michelle would be staying.

G
goldenboy
glad to hear it

Canon

Potential
I enjoyed this issue, but it was over way too fast :( I need to read more!

I'm interested to find out more about these new vamps and what they're up to. And that bit with everyone walking in on Buffy and Satsu was just brilliant, I couldn't stop laughing.

Senior Watcher

~*VH Secret Handshakes*~
dont be mad at me folks, but i didnt read any of your posts yet because i dont want to be 'spoiled.'

i bought the issue 12 today, and it is sitting/staring right at me. im gonna read it about 5 minutes from now, then ill read the posts.

i have high expectations of it since drew is now involved.

Tueuse de Vampires

Love will tear us apart..
Okay, remember how I said I don't like comics and wanted to wait til maybe a seaosn 8 book gets pulished? Well now I read some spoilers and jus want to read the comics right away! I just don't know where to get them :(

J
Joyce Summers
Ebay is your best bet I think. Some sell every comic together for very cheap prices...
A
Allycat
Just google for a comic book shop in your area. Most major cities have one.
A
alexa
amazon.com is also good

CharmedSlayer85

Potential
I definitely think this was the best issue so far. I am definitely looking forward to reading the rest of this story arc, I absolutely LOVE It. It's good to see Dracula make a return, and I thought everybody coming in on Buffy and Satsu was pure genius, even Dawn woke up and saw her lol. I was a little worried that they'd repeat Season Six with Buffy having this secret sexual relationship with somebody for like most of the season, but I'm glad that didn't happen. I'm definitely interested in these Dracula-like vampires, are they trying to reverse the spell do they even have that kind of power? Guess we'll see

Senior Watcher

~*VH Secret Handshakes*~
ok. awesome episode. i had heard that something major happens in this one.........but i have to say, 3 major things happen.

1. buffy and satsu. what a great scene. i lmao when everyone kept walking in on them. the best line so far is in this comic: andrew: "hi naked asian girl."
2. the vamps stealing the scythe in a castle full of slayers?! how did they get away with this? they knew exactly where to go. there must be a mole.
3. DRACULA IS BACK!

10/10. i cant wait for the rest of the arc.

A
Allycat
Twilight has a mole in the organisation. Maybe these vamps work for him?

Tranquillity

That'll put marzipan in your pie plate bingo
I borrowed this discussion idea from over at the IDW boards.

Which cover did you get?

Standard, Jon Foster one, hopefully getting the variant later today.

Favourite character

Xander - great lines, consistently in character, brave even in the face of the fact that he goes "˜wonky' in the presence of Dracula

Favourite surprise

I'm gonna say Dracula "“ how handsome did they draw that guy?
Oh, and hey, Xander can fly a helicopter!

Least favourite surprise

I'm gonna have to say Bufsu. I'm yet to be convinced that it's purposeful and a natural character development. I've read what both Joss and Scott Allie have to say on the topic and yeah, no, still not working for me. I'm hopeful that it will make sense as the story unfolds "“ I do trust Joss! Plus the whole everyone walking in on them afterwards? Sure there are some funny lines (from Xander and Andrew) but I was embarrassed for the girls, as I was when Reilly walked in on Buffy with Spike, as I would be if it happened to me! I know it's supposed to be farce of the bawdy French variety but nah, didn't quite work for me. Actually, the more I read this issue this part looks more and more like filler that is included purely to lengthen the story so that upcoming issues have their cliff-hangers in the right place. I would have preferred to see Willow take on Kumiko.

Favourite panel of art

After buffy says she doesn't like it when people touch her stuff and the vampire dude touches it with the tip of his finger "“ that's classic Buffy.

And when Kumiko grabs Willow "“ all that fog swirling, Will's eyes and a very cool looking attacker. Very nice.

Willow and Andrew flying together is nice too.

Favourite line of dialogue

There's quite a few:

X: No, no- I was right the first time. Those are wolves. We got wolves at the gate.

X: Oh merciful Zeus!

X: I wasn't aware we had an alarm for this, but yes, sound the alarm.

A: How much Dramamine did I take?

B: I really don't like it when people touch my stuff!

W: Nothing makes sense tonight.

X: What? Why's everyone staring at"¦ aw crap

D: Hello manservant.
X: Hey, how's it going"¦ Master.

Least favourite line of dialogue

I think I covered what I didn't like about this issue, can't pin it to a specific line.

Question you most want answered

Are the new mob of vampire who have stolen the scythe in league with Dracula or just know some of his parlour tricks?
Why do they want the scythe?
Is Xander still in Dracula's thrall?
Is Satsu the traitor or have some ulterior motive?
How will Willow react to Buffy's experimentation?
When is Dawn going to shrink back? (not expecting resolution on this one any time soon)

Lyri

Buckle Up Tight
Sineya
gotta say, when i read N4H's spoiler, i was really hoping that Batsu was a dream on Satsu's part...not that i'm against Buffy making it with a girl, lol, it was just, in her big speech to Satsu, she seemed really made-her-mind-up-y.
but after reading it, i thought it was really well handled...i was even okay with the 'let's be friends' scene, if they'd chosen to end it there. but EVERYONE walking in on them? has to be the best scene of the comic so far. Xander was hilarious! his hand clamped over his eye, the look on his and Renee's faces when Andrew walked in was priceless. Andrew's 'Hello, nakes Asian girl' line was so funny, and Buffy reaction, 'Everyone out of my room!' although, looking back, if she'd said 'Get out! Get out! GET OUT!' i would have laughed more, lol

i loved the scenes between Renee and Xander...i'm really starting to dig that ship. (and didn't that sentence sound weird?) i think they're very sweet together. and i loved the fact that Xander chose Renee to go with him to help keep him together when he faced Dracula.

i adored the scene with Dracula. i'm glad they kept that storyline running, and made reference to 'Antique' even if there's been no mention of the Slayers Buffy was with in that story, lol.

i'm not sure where they're gonna take the whole Batsu (is that what we're going with?) storyline. i'll wait until next issue to make my mind up. i'm not sure i love the Batsu ship, but that's probably because i'm wainting on Spike breaking outta hell to sweep her off her feet, lol.

A
Allycat
It's either Batsu or Suffy. And the latter sounds a bit too much like Spuffy, so I guess Batsu it is.
T
tommy
ha, "batsu"

Spike Angelus

Vampire With a Soul
I liked it. The Japanese vamps with Drac's powers seem to be a new twist. I've got no theories on how that works, so I guess I have to wait and see.
I read the NYT article, so I knew about Buffy/Satsu. Doesn't bug me a bit. People experiment,no biggie. It doesn't change WHO she is. She's still our Buffy.
But the way everyone kept walking in: classic! It's Xander's fantasy come true...lol.

Clem Rocks

Scooby
Question you most want answered
Why do they want the scythe?
To deactivate all the Slayerettes so that the balance is restored

Questions i want answered the most:

Since when did Xander have premonitions?
Surely one of the Slayerettes must have seen the wolf with the M? running away and thought that just maybe, stopping that one would be more important than stopping the others? =|
Why has Buffy moved the Scythe to the armory anyway? Surely it would be safer in her room with her?
Does the little mountainey bit infront of Drac's castle look like Mottler's and Twilight's meeting place to anyone else?
And most importantly, why does the Japanese vamp have a sheet of newspaper hanging from him crouch?! XD

And my thoughts after reading this issue:
Andrew for inside man
Japanese vamps might not actually be evil
Where the hell is the rest of my comic? D= it seems so short this month =[ and it's not that good compared to the last one, i have a feeling that A Beautiful Sunset is gonna stay the best issue for a while...

Evilyn

Symphony of Destruction
So, I just got my issue today and I enjoyed it overall. I don't agree with Buffy sleeping with Satsu. Not because I don't like her being with a girl, but she shouldn't mess with Satsu like that. If she wanted to experiment, it should have been with someone that wasn't in love with her like Satsu is. Buffy pretty much used her and I don't think she will become romantically involved with Satsu and that usually doesn't end well. While it was fun for both, I'm sure it meant so much more to Satsu on an emotional level where as Buffy was just having fun. That combination usually leads to disaster.

The last two pages were my favorite, where Renee and Xander are conversing on the way to Drac's castle. He's explaining that she's there to keep an eye on him because he gets all wonky around Drac and when she asks wonky how, he doesnt resond. Then the exchange between Dracula and Xander is priceless. They also made Dracula really hot. I mean like, really hot, so I'm curious to see interaction between him and Buffy. I don't think she was attracted to him before because of his ability to enthrall her, I think she was genuinely attracted to him. Should be could comedy/chemistry for upcoming issues.

I think Satsu will be the one to betray Buffy, just because of my earlier statement. I think Buffy will end up hurting her and it will result in some sort of betrayal. I don't think she's the inside man, unless what she and Buffy did was a diversion so the WereVamps could get into the castle and get the scythe. I mean, it was the perfect diversion. I dunno, probably not, I'm just casting out theories there.

I also liked the addition of Mr. Gordo on the floor by Buffy's bed. I get a kick out of stuff like that. Like in one of the first issues, the cross that Angel gave her was hanging on her dresser top. Little things like that make me smile.

white avenger

white avenger
How does this tie in with the on line comic with Dracula and his "manservant"? In that, Buffy came to rescue Xander after he had been with Drac for a YEAR. Does that mean that he'll be gone for the rest of Season 8?

A
Allycat
That one comes before Season 8. It's in the year in between.

nerd4hire

Certified Uncloneable
They also made Dracula really hot. I mean like, really hot, so I'm curious to see interaction between him and Buffy. I don't think she was attracted to him before because of his ability to enthrall her, I think she was genuinely attracted to him. Should be could comedy/chemistry for upcoming issues.
OK, don't shoot the messenger here Evilyn ;), but I have to burst your bubble.

Drew Goddard's Buffyverse Dracula is much like Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula in Bram Stoker's Dracula, (and possibly even Bram Stoker's original Dracula himself), in reality an ugly old man. The young, handsome Dracula is a glamor. It's a disguise. We know this from the Tales of the Vampires story Antique.

Speaking of the old comedy sketch where a room gradually fills with people at an inopportune moment, has anybody ever heard of the famous "stateroom scene" from the Marx Brothers comedy classic Night at the Opera"?

Here's a link

Back to Wolves at the Gate though...were those fingernail scratch marks on Satsu's back?

E
Evilyn
Well, his glamour is really hot then. That sounds weird...:)

Clem Rocks

Scooby
Back to Wolves at the Gate though...were those fingernail scratch marks on Satsu's back?
*Goes to check* I did not notice that before O_O either they're trying to tell us that she's fought the werevamps before, or that Buffy's pretty feisty in bed XD

white avenger
white avenger
Can't be Buffy, she's a biter (Spike: "Wanta see the bite marks?") not a scratcher.

Evilyn

Symphony of Destruction
OK, don't shoot the messenger here Evilyn ;), but I have to burst your bubble.

Drew Goddard's Buffyverse Dracula is much like Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula in Bram Stoker's Dracula, (and possibly even Bram Stoker's original Dracula himself), in reality an ugly old man. The young, handsome Dracula is a glamor. It's a disguise. We know this from the Tales of the Vampires story Antique.

Speaking of the old comedy sketch where a room gradually fills with people at an inopportune moment, has anybody ever heard of the famous "stateroom scene" from the Marx Brothers comedy classic Night at the Opera"?

Here's a link

You know, I bought the Tales of the Vampires and I haven't read them all yet. I got them right around the time I moved and they are still packed away. Guess I should look into that...

I didn't notice marks the first run thru, but now that you mention it, does appear to be scratches of some nature. Could be scars from her encounter with Twilight. Do slayers scar? I mean, I know Buffy has the bite scar, but that's different. Like, does Faith have a scar from Graduation?

sosa lola

Scooby
Now that I've read the issue again, I must say, it's just awesome!

Haven't laughed like this in a long time.

Loved the little touches, Buffy's pink pig PJs (Buffy's fave animal must be a pig) as well as her UC Sunnydale shirt, loved seeing Leah and Rewona again, Dawn sleeping in a barn full of bees (do vampires turn to bees? That's new info), Andrew's sleepwear. Ha!. Renee wearing a matching outfit like Xander -girl is obessesed- Buffy's post-sex conversation with Satsu, and everybody discovering it as well as Xander's dream. The Japanese vamps looked cool.

The best part was the Xander/Dracula meeting!!! Aww! I've read so many Xander/Spike slave fics that this scene got me in the best way.(I didn't like Antique, though.)

The drawing of characters is really good, Dracula looks better here than on the show, Xander is spot on, Buffy looked like Buffy in some panels, what we saw of Dawn through the window was good. This is the first time I didn't like how Willow was drawn, but she looked pretty after she fell into Buffy's room and noticed Buffy being naked with Satsu. Jeanity hadn't got Andrew right, though.

A
Allycat
It's amazing to see that Jeanty is getting better all the time. I'm sure with a little more experience, Andrew will become spot on too.
C
Clem Rocks
The new Japanese werevamps can turn into bees

TabulaRasa

Buffy Girl
BUFFY'S BACK BABY!!! Now this is the best issue to me so far of this season. I literally threw my head back and laughed, also alot of OMG's. It really kept me focused and on the edge of my seat. I am so pleased to say!

And what's funnier than Dawn sleeping in a barn with her legs sticking out? You know, besides the Buffy bedroom scene of course.

Man, what a great issue. I'm so happy I went and got it early.

Top Bottom