• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 8.16 "Time of Your Life" - Released 02/07/08 (Dark Horse)

nerd4hire

Certified Uncloneable
"On a hot tip, Buffy and Willow head to Manhattan hoping to unlock the secrets of Buffy's mysterious scythe, but something goes terribly awry when Buffy suddenly finds herself transported to an unknown world, and into the path of future Slayer Fray.

Buffy creator Joss Whedon teams with his Fray co-creator Karl Moline in "Time of Your Life." Jo Chen and Georges Jeanty join the team for covers."

Dark Horse Comics > Profile > Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8: #16 Time of Your Life

sosa lola

Scooby
In that cover, they're Buffy, Willow, Kennedy and Vi...

Anyone read #16 yet?

C
crabby patty
yeah thats who I thought they were
white avenger
white avenger
I had completely forgotten about Kennedy, but yeah, I guess she had to show up eventually. Bad penny and all...

Karrde

Willow naked! Wooohoooo!!
Yep, me, that's why I said "wait for 17..."
It's really only introducing us to what's supposed to happen in the next episode, and there's too much happening that I can't say anything without giving out SPOILERS:

I love the Dawn-Centaur and Buffy in NY. I don't like how they insist on still keeping us in the dark as to how the whole "Slayer Army" operation is financed, and what happened between end of season 7 and now! I guess I expected more news about that before moving on to new story lines and Fray.
Oh, and I guess slayers are definitely moving from Scotland...

white avenger
white avenger
Yeah, the time between the end of "Chosen" and the beginning of Season 8 hasn't been mentioned at all, and I keep hoping that they'll have ad least a few flashbacks to tell us how the present set up happened.
nerd4hire
nerd4hire
Not to worry about # 16 spoilers here. The issue is out. This thread is for open discussion.

andrewcutter

Buffy/Angel fan for life
Yep, me, that's why I said "wait for 17..."
It's really only introducing us to what's supposed to happen in the next episode, and there's too much happening that I can't say anything without giving out SPOILERS:

I love the Dawn-Centaur and Buffy in NY. I don't like how they insist on still keeping us in the dark as to how the whole "Slayer Army" operation is financed, and what happened between end of season 7 and now! I guess I expected more news about that before moving on to new story lines and Fray.
Oh, and I guess slayers are definitely moving from Scotland...
you know in issue 10 they coverd how the slayer army was financed. buffy would steal money saying it was a harmless crime

A

Allycat

I loved this issue.

I had my reservations about the whole time-travel thing, but I think it might just work. I guess the magic used for it is similar to how Buffy met the Shadow-Men in Season 7, given that a demon appeared when she disappeared.

I love the Dawn-taur. I hope it's not too strange to think that Dawn is looking better than ever? Because, in my opinion she does.

I really didn't see the destruction of the castle coming. I though the thing with Warren and the bomb was setting things up for later in the season. I wonder where they are going to relocate to. I'm guessing maybe Cleveland or New York.

I loved seeing Kennedy and Vi again, but I thought the whole Kennedy bashing Buffy over Willow was not okay. I guess it fits with her character to be that rude.

The whole Vasuki-storyline is ever so fascinating. I wonder on who's side she is... and if maybe she's related to Gunther.

white avenger

white avenger
I loved this issue.

I really didn't see the destruction of the castle coming.

I haven't read the book yet, but if the setup in Japan is any indication, the Slayers may have castles, temples, monasteries, hotels and whatever located all around the world either set up or capable of being so without much trouble.

I think re-locating to Cleveland would be a mistake, though. They seem to have a team already established there, and a sudden influx of new Slayers would probably upset their operation. Also, I got the impression that Buffy's group was much larger than would be needed in any particular location, even a hellmouth, and that was one reason that they were located in so isolated an area as the Scottish Highlands. Another would be the need for privacy in order to undertake the large scale training that they seem to be undergoing.

Primal Slayer

Did I Fall Asleep?
It was an ok issue.

I really want wait for Dawn to turn back to normal and start adding something to the group.

When the castle got blown up it was a WTF moment for me. Some of Buffys best slayers were inside, not to mention probably the majority of the Slayers Buffy had. I hope some of them survived though. So thats going to be a major drawback for The Scooby Council.

I found Buffy in NY to be a bit....odd to say the lease. With her being overly excited.

It was great seeing Kennedy and Vi again, wasnt expecting to see them either.

The art was bad in some places but overall I enjoyed it.

And starting with this issue, there is a very rare third cover that each issue is going to get that makes one big image.

Superstar

33.3bar% Pure Evil
[quote[I really want wait for Dawn to turn back to normal and start adding something to the group.[/quote]
I'm waiting for the transformation to a 3rd mythological creature... Leprechaun.

Buffy: Giles, there are two things that I don't believe in: coincidence and leprechauns.

Tranquillity

That'll put marzipan in your pie plate bingo
I liked it.
I think its a really promising start to the arc. Finally the story seems to be moving somewhere after jogging on the spot for so long.

Love that whole-page picture of cenatur-Dawn *neigh* - its both funny and pretty.
So is Vi the comander of the New York based slayers? Cool.
Who is Buffy "taking a meeting" with in New York? And getting all dressed up for it too - but she also took the scythe. Interesting and intriguing...
Wow - the castle was blown up! Does that mean that all the Scotland-based slayers are dead? and all their expensive stuff too. I 'spose that means a change of headquarters too.

looking forward to next month now.

nerd4hire

Certified Uncloneable
Good question Superstar. If Dawn is slated for 3 transformations, and they seem mythological in nature so far what's the third one. You know what would be cool? What are those hawk things from Norse mythology? Valkyries?

And yeah, Tranquility who was Buffy meeting with? My first guess was Giles and Faith, but she wouldn't need fancy dress for that. She did say the Nazi gold wasn't her only source of income, so maybe it was a meeting with an investor. One suspects a hint at an upcoming romance of some sort.

And Leah looked hot at the castle, then Boom! Another one bites the dust.

white avenger

white avenger
Good question Superstar. If Dawn is slated for 3 transformations, and they seem mythological in nature so far what's the third one. You know what would be cool? What are those hawk things from Norse mythology? Valkyries?
The Valkyrie were Odin's daughters, the warrior maidens who flew over the battlefield and retrieved the fallen heroes to take them to Valhalla where they would feast, drink, and carouse with beautiful wenches all night and battle all day. A true Viking paradise.

As for the "hawk things," are you referring to the crows who sit on Odin's shoulders and serve as his messengers? Or are you referring to the Harpies from Greek mythology, who were birds of prey (hawks, eagles, or vultures, depending on who was doing the translation) with the faces/heads/upper bodies of women? That would parallel the centaur nicely.

nerd4hire
nerd4hire
No. It was the Valkyries I was thinking of. You just brought it all back to me, except I'm thinking of them as I've seen them appear in modern fiction. Thanks.

Superstar

33.3bar% Pure Evil
So far, it is from different mythologies.
I mentioned leprechaun as it is a third separate mythology and relevant to the current location.

You wondered why Scotland was chosen? Now you know.

OH! and she'll have her pot of gold, so no more stealin' of the Nazi gold to make everyone happy.

Karrde

Willow naked! Wooohoooo!!
But the Leprechaun's gold, feeble it is, those little green buggers turn it to coal after sunrise they do... :)
It would be interesting, though, I don't think I've seen a girl leprechaun mentioned or shown except in an old American cartoon one time or another. :D

Superstar

33.3bar% Pure Evil
williamtheebloody agrees: huh! you think leprechauns are scottish?
They're Irish.

Sometimes I just throw stuff out there for the fun of it and see who bites.
This one was all too obvious. Plus I played into the ongoing thief discussion just to take it to 11 with the pot o' gold.

Entiel

King of the Primordium
I loved the story as always but I wasn't too impressed with the art...espescially Willow looked way too skiny,like she has anorexia or sth.. :/

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
I liked this issue more than any of the Wolves At The Gate arc. It looks like a good start to what could be a really fantastic story though I'm still not sure about the Dawn thing.

gilesfan1980

Bloody hell....
Telling by Fray's words, she recognizes Buffy immediately. It means to me that the story "Tales" from The Tales of the Slayers is going to be a part of season 8. "Tales" was written by Joss Whedon, so it all fits in nicely. Fray should know the history of the Slayers and Buffy particularly.

Top Bottom