• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 8.17 "Time of Your Life Part 2" - Released 04/08/08 (Dark Horse)

nerd4hire

Certified Uncloneable
Did you click for the preview? They make it seem easy to guess the guest star, and there's some Buffy/Fray language chemistry developing. The art in what they give seems a little...I don't know.

goldenboy

Scooby
The art's still not as good as the original Fray. I remember thicker inked lines, less airbrushy shading.

And Mel's slang and clipped speech is bordering on annoying here. It seems more self-conscious on Joss' part. Complain, complain :)

This story's shaping up to be a bunch of fun though.

sosa lola

Scooby
The only thing I dislike is the art. As well as the way Buffy looks so much like Fray's sister.

Tranquillity

That'll put marzipan in your pie plate bingo
How come Buffy hasn't instantly clicked that it's Dru - a darkhaired madwoman - I'm so looking forward to this!!!!!!!

nerd4hire

Certified Uncloneable
That wasn't Buffy. That was Fray's sister.
Oh yeah, Fray says, "I'm not going to get you booted from the laws, Sis." (Her name was Erin, right?)

Duh...how did I miss that.

I did catch the monkey, and the room from Tales of the Slayers though, so I wasn't completely asleep at the switch. :blush:

Primal Slayer

Did I Fall Asleep?
just read it and it was ok overall. The dialouge in the beginning seemed to keep repeating words which wasnt that great. Buffy in the future was fun though. But do the watcher diaries have pictures in them? Cause if not how did Fray know that Buffy was Buffy...

On the art side, I think the artist does a great job recapturing Fray and co. but a not so great job capturing The Scoobies. Xander is fine but Willow looks terriable (and really needs to ditch the dress already, she and Xander need to get some new clothes) and Buffy needs an improvement. He did a sketch of Buffy before and it looked really good so I dont know why he cant seem to recapture it this time around.

And the big reveal imo looked more like evil willow then Drusilla.

R
Rowan Hawthorn
That's because it was.

andrewcutter

Buffy/Angel fan for life
the issue was ok....... i think that the madwomen is evil willow and if so i kindda say it coming.

i dont think that they need to show alot of willow and co. and more of xander and co.

did a video review of this issue if u wanna see

Superstar

33.3bar% Pure Evil
Well, ever since the Fray Tales segment I suspected that the monkeythingy was someone we already knew transformed.
I had suspected Xander or Andrew - Xander mostly, due to his "butt-monkey" comment. A fitting end.
Now I think it's Giles - after the "last great watcher" comment was given.
Giles/Gates.
Makes a sort of sense since the monkeythingy doesn't have articulate speech and "Giles" spoken badly could be interpreted as "Gates".

nerd4hire

Certified Uncloneable
I also got the feeling there's something significant about the monkey. I hadn't considered the possibility of the monkey transmogrified from a scoob though, but come to think of it...hmmm... What do you open a gate with? A key right? We still haven't seen Dawn's third transformation. Nah, surely that's not it.

I had to read this issue a few times. I'm still confused, but totally fascinated.

"Slayer of slayers". Does that mean she was the greatest slayer, or she slayed slayers?

"What happens in your time will cause your time to come. Do you see? Ripples child. Everything is ripples"

What's that all about?

If Willowish wants to hurt Buffy why doesn't she just hurt her? Our Willow says Willowish is more powerful than her, which means she should be able to just kick Buffy's ass.

One question was answered. We always wondered if Buffy was the last slayer spoken of in the Fray comics. We know now she was. Fray calls her "the last girl".

That means there is a final battle where magic and demons are banished from this reality. Buffy disappears into a portal. They tell us this in the Fray comics. OK, so if there is no more magic after Buffy how come Willowish is still around doing the ol' transfer-the-demon through-the-portal, magic trick in Fray's time?

Just tons more questions. It's making my head hurt.

white avenger
white avenger
Isn't there another character called the "Slayer of Slayers" who is immortal and could, therefore, show up in the future just as easily as Willow? Does a long black leather duster bring anyone to mind?

Primal Slayer

Did I Fall Asleep?
one thing though: Why is Willow being tortured by having to wear horriable dresses the rest of her life?

It is a possibilty that Willow escaped into another dimension while Buffy was being pulled away and slipped out sometime after. We know in Fray that vampires were making a comeback. With vampires already back and they were working on bringing back demons so magic was probably released along with one of them.

Darth Willow could be like the First and escape through a portal that is being opened between two dimensions. Maybe when those two demons we saw in Fray (who happened to survive somehow) released Urkon, they accidently released Willow.

And I wouldnt actually mind if the monkey were Dawn, it would kind of bring the charecter back full circle depending on how they use it. I would just assume that while magic was being taken from the world it ran wild and turned Dawn into a monkey. And monkey Dawn is the key to bring back magic/demons/vampires full term.

But now that we have so many interesting questions to ask, it just makes this arc even better.

Tranquillity

That'll put marzipan in your pie plate bingo
Yeah, i enjoyed it. At first i was insanely disappointed that it wasn't Dru. But i got over that after a little while - though like Nerd4Hire says ^ Dark Willow's presence raises so many questions...truely complicated questions. I did enjoy all the Dru red herrings and that alone should have alerted me to the fact that in the big reveal it wouldn't be her at all but it didn't - they got me, again (headless Ethan got me too).

sosa lola

Scooby
Just read the issue. Thought it was good, but I've always liked the second issue of the arc less than all the first, third and fourth.

Anyway, fave scenes are the ones with Xander/Dawn and Buffy/Fray. "I can't believe I don't have a pun", LOL! And that awkward moment between Xander and Dawn is so funny. Buffy mourning the English language was also funny.

Still need more explanation to the Dark!Willow bit.

Superstar

33.3bar% Pure Evil
I also got the feeling there's something significant about the monkey. I hadn't considered the possibility of the monkey transmogrified from a scoob though
Hey, thanks for that!
Keep tabs on my Guess the Big Bad answer too.

"Slayer of slayers". Does that mean she was the greatest slayer, or she slayed slayers?
I'm guessing the latter.

"What happens in your time will cause your time to come. Do you see? Ripples child. Everything is ripples"
What's that all about?
It is a Terminator-like paradox. The future cannot exist without the future having created itself. In Terminator, John Connor would not exist if he had not sent his father back in time. But how did he come to exist to send his father back in time if he could not exist without already having done so?
Here, Willow is stating that the past must unfold for the future to exist, where the events of the future shape the past.
Speculation that Future!Willow might be attempting to alter the past exists in discussion, but the past has to unfold for Future!Willow to alter it if this is indeed the path taken.
I suspect that, much like Terminator, the past is only malleable to a certain extent which Future!Willow will discover.

Clem Rocks

Scooby
I also got the feeling there's something significant about the monkey. I hadn't considered the possibility of the monkey transmogrified from a scoob though, but come to think of it...hmmm... What do you open a gate with? A key right? We still haven't seen Dawn's third transformation. Nah, surely that's not it.
Now there's an idea O_O

I took it to mean the greatest slayer. Slayer of slayers as in God of gods, or King of kings.

When i first read it, i thought it said something else, not ripples...

Did anyone else get jealous of Xander getting told to ride Dawn? XD....no?...No-one?....D=

nerd4hire

Certified Uncloneable
It is a Terminator-like paradox. The future cannot exist without the future having created itself.
Yeah I got the Terminator time paradox thing, what I'm scratching my head trying to figure out are the specifics.

What specifically must Willowish adjust in the future to alter the past and why. I'm guessing it has something to do with the "slayer line" issue, as that's what Joss promised clarification on in the past. Specifically, how the canon goes from magic, demons, and multiple slayers, to no magic or demons, to magic, demons, and single slayer in Fray's time.

Superstar

33.3bar% Pure Evil
Yeah I got the Terminator time paradox thing, what I'm scratching my head trying to figure out are the specifics.

What specifically must Willowish adjust in the future to alter the past and why. I'm guessing it has something to do with the "slayer line" issue, as that's what Joss promised clarification on in the past. Specifically, how the canon goes from magic, demons, and multiple slayers, to no magic or demons, to magic, demons, and single slayer in Fray's time.
Assuming this is the path the story is traveling (and I'm not totally convinced it is), I would have to assume that Past!Willow removed magic (and the slayers? or maybe NOT the slayers! causing the line to die out prematurely) and that Future!Willow discovered this wasn't such a nifty idea after all.

The mystery is why she wouldn't just stop herself.
However, this may be the paradox inherent with time travel.
If magic is removed, it may not have been possible to alter the timeline until it returned in the future. Thus, the past must happen first in order to be altered.

Is the statement to Harth that they are ineffective together placating him? He does have slayer memories, so if this is a ruse it may be badly played. Or, is it the truth(!), in which case Buffy needs to fail (perhaps with Future!Willow's assistance) in order for Future!Willow to correct things since she could not exist unless the failure was successful. (...?)
It is a bit tangled.
Regardless, it should prove interesting.

A

Allycat

This is why I hate time-travelling. This one arc is turning the entire eight season into one big paradox. I'm just going to try to enjoy the story, without thinking about it much, because I'm pretty sure the plot is going to fall apart if you prod and poke at it. Whew, glad to have that off my chest.

Highly enjoyable issue. Buffy's funny. Mel is great. The scenes with Xander were awesome as always and the art is pretty good too.

Mel said:
The last great watcher. Sacrificied himself at the battle of Starbucks.
Anybody else get the feeling that Giles' days are numbered?

That whole "ride me" comment makes me think that perhaps Dawn and Xander are going to hook up after all.

The reveal that the mad woman was actually Dark Willow and not Drusilla was already sort of a possibility after we saw the cover art for issue 20, but I was still banking on Drusilla. Still, this puts an interesting twist on the story, and I'm curious to see how it all fits in with the Twilight story.

P
punkypower
Great post. Agreed with the time-travel, Dru and Xawn. The Giles thing didn't occur to me--hopefully not true, but since we haven't seen a lot of him this "episode"..
Top Bottom