• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 8.21 "Harmonic Divergence" - Released 07/01/09 (Dark Horse)

nerd4hire

Certified Uncloneable
"Television writer Jane Espenson (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Battlestar Galactica) returns to Buffy the Vampire Slayer in Season Eight. Espenson is the first of five acclaimed writers that tackle this groundbreaking story arc--where Buffy fans are introduced to a new world where vampires are in and Slayers are out.
Cue Harmony, the bubblegum cheerleader from Sunnydale High whose ambitions include blood sucking and stardom."

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8 #21: Harmonic Divergence :: Profile :: Dark Horse Comics

AndrewCrossett

Satsu Otaku
Sineya
Like I said in the other thread... unless I'm missing something on the time factor, new Slayers are still being created in Season 8. This is a quite large development.

Pulse

Townie
Like I said in the other thread... unless I'm missing something on the time factor, new Slayers are still being created in Season 8. This is a quite large development.
You know I've always just assumed this tbh, I never got how ppl said the slayers would run out, I kinda just thought that forever the magics were changed and forever slayers would be born and the army would continually replenish itself because they changed the magics of the activation of the slayer and started a new system

Kean
Kean
Me too.

ThatDarreinShow

Darrein
I'm not so good at keeping up with the comic. I'm missing about 3 issues, not to mention this one and the one before it. I am very bad! Oh, well.

Clem Rocks

Scooby
Lol, i only got After These Messages....We'll Be Right Back yesterday.

so is this a one shot or the start of an arc? I hear different things from different sites, but i'm under the impression that this is part one of a five part arc with the same story, but from different people's perspectives, correct?

AndrewCrossett

Satsu Otaku
Sineya
Five different stories, by five different writers. I was under the impression that they're possibly interrelated only in that they describe Twilight's plans starting to come into play, although nobody knows it yet.

There are several important points to make concerning this issue...spoilers if you haven't read it yet.

1. As said above, new Slayers are continuing to be activated. Which means, new Potentials are being created. Which means that Twilight isn't going to be able to stop the Slayers just by killing them all, or even killing all the Potentials. The only way to stop the Slayers is to put an end to the magic that creates them. (The First Evil was apparently unaware of this as well.)

2. The whole world is apparently perfectly aware of the existence of vampires. When did that happen?

3. The new Slayer's story (she doesn't get a name) is handled strangely. Her story begins from her POV, with what's going through her mind told in the form of "voice-over" captions. But this ends when she walks into Harmony's party, and everything from then on is told only through action and dialog... right up until the Slayer is stabbed and bitten and (maybe) killed. This is a bit like losing the cell phone connection to this girl's thoughts just before the most important events. Shouldn't we have continued to hear what was going through her mind?

4. Did Harmony actually kill the Slayer on camera? She stabbed her in the shoulder... probably not fatal, and then bit her neck. But Harmony has been biting people non-fatally all through the episode. Is MTV really willing to show someone being killed on camera as part of a reality show? Does the FCC have no problem with this? What about MTV's insurance company? Or the police? I know this is just a story, but this whole thing just doesn't come across as plausible.

5. The Slayer had a cross around her neck which should have made it very difficult for Harmony to bite her there. The cross was there when the Slayer kicks Harmony off the balcony... but missing seconds later when she jumps on top of Harmony and is stabbed and bitten. Where did it go?

6. The Slayers have managed to operate in secrecy for a long time now, but suddenly some twit at MTV "does some investigating" and finds out all about them. I'm guessing that's because MTV is infiltrated by the Twilight organization, who arranged Harmony's show to rally public opinion against the Slayers, and that's where they got their info on the Slayers. What about Anderson Cooper, who "did some digging" and found that the Slayers "say they're our protectors"... huh? Who's been giving official Slayer statements to CNN?

7. Since when has being bitten on the neck been something pleasurable that normal people would seek out? I can see it as a kinky thing or a form of self-harm (like Riley did), but... doesn't it hurt? A lot? WTF?

Very strange storytelling going on here.

Clem Rocks

Scooby
7. Since when has being bitten on the neck been something pleasurable that normal people would seek out? I can see it as a kinky thing or a form of self-harm (like Riley did), but... doesn't it hurt? A lot? WTF?

Very strange storytelling going on here.
I should imagine it gives you the kind of rush you'd get from something like bungee jumping. If people like it, i'm sure they'd put up with abit of pain, and tbh, judging from the reaction of people bitten on the show, it doesn't look too painful

Primal Slayer

Did I Fall Asleep?
You know I've always just assumed this tbh, I never got how ppl said the slayers would run out, I kinda just thought that forever the magics were changed and forever slayers would be born and the army would continually replenish itself because they changed the magics of the activation of the slayer and started a new system
Well it is possible that Slayers will run out since I would think that all the potientials that were born after the spell wouldnt be affected by the spell and thus the slayer activation would keep jumping from slayer to slayer and noone would ever know when they are thee slayer.

But it just looks like now there is an age to where they are fully activated and no longer a potential. 16 seems to be the activation age... Frankly I dont know if I really like that or not.

And I cant believe that Harmony of all vampires killed her first slayer..seems like yesterday her and Xander were hitting each other.

AndrewCrossett

Satsu Otaku
Sineya
Well it is possible that Slayers will run out since I would think that all the potientials that were born after the spell wouldnt be affected by the spell and thus the slayer activation would keep jumping from slayer to slayer and noone would ever know when they are thee slayer.

But it just looks like now there is an age to where they are fully activated and no longer a potential. 16 seems to be the activation age... Frankly I dont know if I really like that or not.
I'm assuming that the old rule still applies in that when a Slayer dies, another is activated. Only now it's when any Slayer dies. The old assumption, which seemed to be supported by Joss, was that only the Slayer (Faith) could activate a new one by dying.

I think it's just a coincidence that this particular Slayer was activated on her 16th birthday. I don't know that, but that's what I think until I get more evidence to the contrary.

If this is true then there will always be a fixed number of Slayers in the world.

New Potentials are still being created, since the New Slayer in this issue was obviously a Potential before she got activated. But that means she wasn't a Potential yet 1.5 years ago when Willow cast her spell, or she would have been activated then along with the others.

The fanwanky explanation is that Willow's spell not only activated all the Potentials, but changed the rules by which the Slayer magic operates.

I have to say, this issue... while enjoyable... is an even odder fit into season 8 than last month's cartoon issue was.

Silum

Scooby
spoilers... (though dont be an idiot by reading the discussion of an issue if you dont want to be spoiled...does that mean we dont need spoiler tags? I would get so...whatever) ...ok back from my tangent

i'll write a bit more on this in a bit but reading the issue left me wondering where the other half of the issue went. It was just so empty. And the number of questions/new concepts it brought up was a bit excessive. Ie. Vampires are well known to everybody, enough to green light a reality show. Apperantly Harmony murdering a slayer is good TV? And this is what they use to show us people are on the side of the vamps and seemingly against slayers? Did i miss something? A human looking girl gets killed by a demon looking thing (harmony) and TV goers see this as a good thing?

Either way, i hope and pray that the rest of the season does not go in this direction (Joss said this issue defines a lot for the rest of the series right?). Buffy having to prove herself to world? The world actually understanding the underworld? These are pretty crap plot lines. I want to see a big bad, weve seen real world as the big bad already.

I dunno, maybe ill have to reread it to get it, but so far im not likin where its goin

AndrewCrossett

Satsu Otaku
Sineya
It's certainly going to be hard to keep all of this plausible. In fact, it already is.

I'd just like to know what happens when people start to realize that these glamorous, sexy vampires have a habit of killing people quite a whole lot...universally, in fact. I don't think they're all going to be willing to hold back like Harmony does.

This is really a paper-thin premise. I hope they know where they're going with all of this... but as always, I trust JW until he earns my distrust.

Harm

Scooby
Best one of season eight so far! It reminded me of the Anna Nicole show. Having clem carry around her dogs, the way her house looked, them going to the tattoo parlor! :D

CharmedSlayer85

Potential
Yeah I REALLY enjoyed this issue and agree that it is the best issue so far. I was shocked to see that she killed somebody on live television and nobody really flinched and people like Anderson Cooper actually defended her actions. Also I loved Buffy and co's reaction to the whole thing. I hated that new slayer girl, and it upset me how she just went after Harmony all out in the open like that, I mean I understand she was new, but still, no wonder people think slayers are villians.

But the thing that struck me as odd is if they could easily find all this information about slayers and their history and mission statement shouldn't they have also discovered all the terrible things vampires have done over the centuries and also the wonderful things slayers have done over the centuries. Also being that Willow's spell to make thousands of slayers is a fairly new thing it shouldn't be in any written book, so to the news media and such they should only know about THE slayer and not current slayers.

CordyCat

Miss MotorMouth
I just think they are not only ruining Buffy with this crap, but they are also making me just hate the idea of Buffy. All I'm saying is they did a WAY better job on Angel ATF.

H
Harm
atf sucks

CharmedSlayer85

Potential
I just think they are not only ruining Buffy with this crap, but they are also making me just hate the idea of Buffy. All I'm saying is they did a WAY better job on Angel ATF.
I highly disagree, but I wanna pick your brain. Why do you feel this way?

sosa lola

Scooby
I have to say "Great job" to Jane. People believing the media, even though they're aware it usually twists the truth, is a bitter fact in our world. Especially with the current events that are going now in real world. The part about the public accepting Harmony as a victimized hero is so true to what's happening nowadays it hurts. I just hope some people in Buffy's world will be smart enough to realize who's evil and who's not.

W
wehappyfew
i do enjoy your sermons :)
C
Chase Summers
Espenson is really good at commentary-ish episodes

AndrewCrossett

Satsu Otaku
Sineya
I have to say "Great job" to Jane. People believing the media, even though they're aware it usually twists the truth, is a bitter fact in our world. Especially with the current events that are going now in real world. The part about the public accepting Harmony as a victimized hero is so true to what's happening nowadays it hurts. I just hope some people in Buffy's world will be smart enough to realize who's evil and who's not.
I hope Buffy is smart enough to realize who's evil and who's not.

Voll told Buffy she'd have to go to war against all of humanity... and the way things are going now, that might not be looking like such a bad thing to her. I know that's how I'd be feeling, if I were her.

Clem Rocks

Scooby
Anyone else think Georges can't draw Clem? =[
I like that he's got a cute little tattoo though, even if he can't find it lol

and you guys discussing the public knowledge of everything, did you ever think maybe the Slayers announced everything by releasing the advert?

CharmedSlayer85

Potential
It's partly that stupid girls fault. If she didn't attack Harmony on national television, maybe things would have went smoother. However did Harmony kill her on national television or did she just bit her? Wouldn't Harmony killing her completely destroy her rouse?

S
Silum
thats what I said, i dont mind stretching belivability but theres a difference between that and plausability... S8 is stretching both right now

AndrewCrossett

Satsu Otaku
Sineya
That new Slayer's name was Soledad, by the way. It was mentioned in the script but not in the actual text of the issue.

Top Bottom