• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 8.29 "Retreat Part 4" - Released 10/7/09 (Dark Horse)

Angelic Slayer

Daydream Believer
Sineya
Discuss the latest issue of Buffy Season 8, here :)

Dark Horse said:
Oz's temple in the Tibetan mountains is no longer a safe retreat for Buffy and her troops. Discovered by Twilight's magical agent, Amy, and bereft of their own magic, the army is preparing for a human war with guns, grenades, missiles . . . and MANPADS -- it's not a laughing matter. People are about to die.

But even without her own magic, Buffy is still a Slayer -- the Slayer -- and she has to lead the way to victory. Or at least . . . live to fight another day.
source: Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8 #29: Retreat part 4 (Massimo Carnevale Cover) :: Profile :: Dark Horse Comics

S
sosa lola
Bwah! Awesome banner!
Joan the Vampire Slayer
Joan the Vampire Slayer
OMG awesome banner!

white avenger

white avenger
I haven't read this one yet, so I can only speculate, but it would seem to me that arming a bunch of girls who have barely enough knowledge about firearms to know that the bullet comes out of that little hole in the front with assault rifles is going to be a total disaster. The troops that they are going to be facing will be trained military personnel, if not soldiers taken from Special Forces, Seals, Force Recon, and the like. Right now, it looks like Slayer Slaughter Time to me.

AndrewCrossett

Satsu Otaku
Sineya
I haven't read this one yet, so I can only speculate, but it would seem to me that arming a bunch of girls who have barely enough knowledge about firearms to know that the bullet comes out of that little hole in the front with assault rifles is going to be a total disaster. The troops that they are going to be facing will be trained military personnel, if not soldiers taken from Special Forces, Seals, Force Recon, and the like. Right now, it looks like Slayer Slaughter Time to me.
Well, they're holding their own... I think that's because the discipline of being in Buffy's army has made them quick learners, and because they have the terrain advantage and are dug in, and because Twilight's people don't seem to have thought their strategy through very well (who the hell takes a tank corps into the Himalayas?) But, as Giles notes, they can't win this battle on a gun vs. gun basis. Hence... the final scene.

white avenger
white avenger
Hannibal took elephants across the Alps and used them to conquor most of europe. Same strategy, same potential results (I still haven't seen the issue, so I'm only talking in generalities)

GrimsWatcher

Potential
Underwhelming. And it looks like they brought in a simple way of winning the war on the final page. Talk about deus ex machina. Hopefully that won't be the case. I don't think they did a good job at showing the war either. I expected bigger or something much different, but I guess that's my fault.

Sometimes the art bothers me when characters have no faces in the background. Serious moments have been a little comical as a result, when Willow is running and all she has is two dots for eyes. Just weird. Sometimes it feels like an Archie comic.

Tranquillity

That'll put marzipan in your pie plate bingo
Firstly, little bit disappointed that we didn't find out exactly who is lurking behind Twilight's mask even though he was on the cover.
Secondly, was struck by the absence of Twilight and co. from the invading army. Where the heck are they?
Thirdly, Buffy does seem to be bothered by Dander.
Fourthly, was really glad to see the development at the end. I think it will save the Slayer's bacon but I gon't think the Goddesses are going to be giving back the magic any time soon.

Looking forward to next month, as always.

B
Buffyverse Fan
Very disappointing Issue

davids willow

Townie
Firstly, little bit disappointed that we didn't find out exactly who is lurking behind Twilight's mask even though he was on the cover.
Secondly, was struck by the absence of Twilight and co. from the invading army. Where the heck are they?
Thirdly, Buffy does seem to be bothered by Dander.
Fourthly, was really glad to see the development at the end. I think it will save the Slayer's bacon but I gon't think the Goddesses are going to be giving back the magic any time soon.

Looking forward to next month, as always.
i think twilight could be ozs baby from the future maybe oz n his wife/girlfriend dont survive and the child is leff in the care of willow who we kno ends up dark she could then send him back with powers to desrtroy buffy and company a bit far fetched but it could well be

Buffyverse Fan

* The 28th *
Sineya
I thought this issue was pretty disappointing.

Since Brian Lynch (Joss' Exec Prod) came back to Angel, its newest issue puts Buffy to shame. BS8 has to pick up its game since Lynch just managed to put out the first issue I've read that feels EXACTLY like a TV Episode of Buffy or Angel.

I hope to see type of quality out of S8 soon.

AndrewCrossett

Satsu Otaku
Sineya
I don't think the goal has ever been to make the comic feel exactly like the TV show. Just the opposite, in fact. Joss has gone in a new direction.

While I'm not ecstatic about some of the continuity errors, I'm still very happy with the quality of the comic. It requires more patience than a TV show. The pacing is different, and there's a lot more time between installments to think about criticism.

Some issues are more about the buildup than the payoff.

Buffyverse Fan

* The 28th *
Sineya
I don't think the goal has ever been to make the comic feel exactly like the TV show. Just the opposite, in fact. Joss has gone in a new direction.

While I'm not ecstatic about some of the continuity errors, I'm still very happy with the quality of the comic. It requires more patience than a TV show. The pacing is different, and there's a lot more time between installments to think about criticism.

Some issues are more about the buildup than the payoff.
You catch Angel: Boys and their Toys yet? I see your point, and I actually like the comic style a lot in terms of Time of Your Life or After the Fall, but I think the ongoing Boys and their Toys arc in Angel is very refreshing.

Thus far it's the only semi-Canon comic that feels perfect in respect to both pacing and dialog. Outside of Angel and Spike now being ensouled allies (which was only true for the final season of Angel), this story would have easily fit in as episode xx of season xx of either show.

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Sineya
So did Twilight and co. use magic to transport the army to Tibet to attack the slayers?

Seems odd and I'm still not totally clear why the US military is even involved with Twilight....

Robb Stark

King in the North
Sineya
So did Twilight and co. use magic to transport the army to Tibet to attack the slayers?

Seems odd and I'm still not totally clear why the US military is even involved with Twilight....
Agreed. How exactly did Twilight get a full-scale force military force to Tibet?

Also, where did Buffy's arsenal and armor suddenly come from? I don't get it. They mentioned in passing that they "traded submarine parts for weapons", which makes less than zero sense. First off, who would they trade with? They're in the middle of Tibet. Second, why would anyone in the Tibetan mountains want busted up submarine parts? Dumb.

How did Dawn suddenly become a seasoned battle commander with detailed knowledge of military weapons? Where did they get sandbags in the mountains? Why does Buffy think it's a good plan to remove her Slayer's superpowers and then line them up in conventional warfare against the United States military? How did Buffy suddenly discover that their powers didn't go into the Earth, they went to gods? And why didn't anyone tell her that beforehand? Why did Willow seem to find peace at the end of the last issue without magic and now immediately needs it back, when she was fully aware at all times that Twilight was coming? Why did Buffy allow Twilight to advance so far without any warning, to the point that they didn't even know they were there until Twilight was practically on Oz's doorstep? What kind of commander doesn't post sentries?

Okay, **deep breath**, I'm done.

Top Bottom