• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of 8.32 "Twilight Part 1" - Released 03/02/10 (Dark Horse)

Tranquillity

That'll put marzipan in your pie plate bingo
Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8 #32: Twilight part 1

Faster than a speeding -- you know. More powerful than a -- yeah, one of those. Able to leap tall . . . castles in a single bound. Still working on that x-ray-vision thing. In the aftermath of battle with Twilight's army, Buffy has developed a host of new powers, but when will the other shoe drop, and will it be a cute shoe, or an ugly one? Still reeling from the losses of war, Willow goes looking for missing allies and discovers a horrifying truth about several of the Slayer army's recent ordeals.

Series artist Georges Jeanty, acclaimed novelist and comics writer Brad Meltzer (The Book of Lies, Identity Crisis), and executive producer Joss Whedon begin the buildup to Season Eight's climax in the storyline that finally reveals the identity of Twilight!

* The storyline revealing Twilight's true identity!
Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8 #32: Twilight part 1 (Jo Chen cover) :: Profile :: Dark Horse Comics

Discussion is now open...

GrimsWatcher

Potential
I really liked this one, much like issue 31. I think the comics are back on track and things feel right and more focused again. I didn't enjoy the red stick figure drawing though...I mean really Jeanty? But the rest of the art was good.

Not much of a fan of Buffy being able to run so fast, or the fact the characters travel the world so quickly. But those are small complaints. I'm sick of Andrew, and it's really time to retire the character. Whether he leaves or dies, either way is fine by me.

Joan the Vampire Slayer
Joan the Vampire Slayer
Agree on Andrew. He never does/says anything new...

white avenger

white avenger
I don't know just how, exactly, we're supposed to discuss what goes on in a comic book that won't hit the stands for another month, but my comment on the cover is, Buffy should get her own flying style and stop trying to steal Superman's.

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

Okay, I see now that the release date is supposed to be Feb 3rd, not March 2nd. Just color me dumb. (Lovable and devilish handsome, but dumb)

U
ubi4soft
was out today
Tranquillity
Tranquillity
Sorry - I'm Australian - we put the date and month around the other way from you guys :)

Tranquillity

I really enjoyed this issue - Meltzer really knows how to write a comic book. I really enjoyed all the super-hero references and the fun that Xander is having with a super powered Buffy. The Kitty Pryde reference is particulalry good. And I really like that Dawn is the voice of reason in the whole thing, even if her reason is a little bit motivated by insecurity - but still, she's right in the end, the sudden appearence of super-powers has to and does have consequences.

I'm wondering if Amy, the General and SkinlessWarren know who lies behind the mask - and if they are genuine in wanting to switch sides. I'm also wondering if Twilight is responsible for the mobs who are killing slayers, as implied, and if so, how the hell do we reconcile that...

And yes -I do want to hear a really cool master plan. I'm sooooo looking forward to next months issue!

Any thoughts on Buffy's super powers? Over the top or totally cool? Temporary or permanent?

sosa lola

Scooby
Just read the issue. I loved it, it was so fun, but Xander's geeking over Buffy's powers was fine in the preview but I think they overdid it, it started to become annoying -especially with me not understanding all the references It just went on and on and on. Didn't like that part.

I really loved Dawn in this issue. She was the most aware of them all, but she gets ignored, like always. Buffy and Xander are more busy testing and enjoying Buffy's new powers, and Willow is more busy about finding the captured. It's sad that after seasons and issues of Xander being the one to notice Dawn and be there for her, he starts to ignore her after they get together.

I loved Buffy's expression -actually Jeanty's strength has always been about expressions and making those character alive- when Xander was asking her all these questions -the panel I'm talking about is when Xander asks "Can you phase", it's a mixture between annoyance and fondness, Buffy seems to love getting his attention. Yet, all these questions are starting to be off-putting.

I loved Willow's "You have friends" to Buffy implying that Faith doesn't. I also loved Buffy telling her that she should be looking for Giles first.

AndrewCrossett

Satsu Otaku
Sineya
It is a great issue. Looks like Meltzer has a good handle on the characters and the story... and after him, it's Joss to the finish line.

What Willow found is really quite disturbing. This has become by far the deadliest season of Buffy so far.

Buffyverse Fan

* The 28th *
Sineya
I don't know just how, exactly, we're supposed to discuss what goes on in a comic book that won't hit the stands for another month, but my comment on the cover is, Buffy should get her own flying style and stop trying to steal Superman's.
The covers are homages to the artists' favorite comics, and are not strictly canon. How many times does the Season Eight staff have to reiterate that before you stop bashing them? Ballpark figure?

Any thoughts on Buffy's super powers? Over the top or totally cool? Temporary or permanent?
It's definitely temporary, as are Angel's. You know, I hear people saying "over-the-top," and I may have agreed with them had it not been for the Beast. As it stands, sure Buffy & Angel would demolish the Beast, but they're all three in the same rough league of power. And the Beast was well featured in Season 4 of Angel.

I agree, the pacing has finally come back, and it's great. Predators & Prey was abysmal, and Retreat was just okay, but we're back to the status-quo here, and that's darn good.

spoiler I'm having trouble hearing David Boreanaz' Angel saying "Who wants to hear a really cool Master Plan?" and that's my only quibble...

Mumrik

The Unicorn Hunter
I definitely liked this. The comic book geek in me had a field day along with Xander. Also loved the timing of all the Kitty Pryde fanboy-ing, considering ... :) Though that might just be a coincidence. Still. Happy fangirl is happy.

I like that Buffy's new superpowers have such a dark origin and thus hopefully aren't permanent. The comics are definitely back on track. Yay!

anne92998

Townie
Ok. I been a Buffy fan since 7th grade seen all the episodes and love Whedon. However I am new to the site and forums and such so I have one question. What is season 8? Was there half a a season written and never shot? Please no one get mad at me or anything, Ive just seen things today referencing a season 8 so im curious

B
Buffyverse Fan
I hope I answered your question (two posts below yours)

Mumrik

The Unicorn Hunter
Ok. I been a Buffy fan since 7th grade seen all the episodes and love Whedon. However I am new to the site and forums and such so I have one question. What is season 8? Was there half a a season written and never shot? Please no one get mad at me or anything, Ive just seen things today referencing a season 8 so im curious
Buffy Season 8 is released in comic book form.

Buffyverse Fan

* The 28th *
Sineya
Oh, no, no reason to get mad, haha. There hasn't been a lot of PR for the series event though it's been wildly successful.

Anyway, as Mumrik said, it is in book form. But don't let the format deceive you, it is written by Joss Whedon, creator & showrunner of Buffy and Angel. Also contributing are Doug Petrie, Drew Goddard, Jane Espenson, Drew Greenberg, and Steven S. DeKnight, the writing staff from the TV Series.

Buffy Season Eight picks up with Buffy and the whole gang in roughly 2007 (several years after Season 7).

Here's Book #1 (each book is roughly the length of an episode):

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Long-Buffy-Vampire-Slayer-Season/dp/1593078226/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265475167&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: The Long Way Home (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Season 8, Vol. 1) (9781593078225): Joss Whedon, Georges Jeanty: Books[/ame]

Books #7 is currently in-progress, and there will be a total of 8 books in Buffy Season Eight. And I believe Buffy Season Nine will be made up of 6 books.

LyteHouse

FOX cancelled my life
Black Thorn
I absolutely loved this issue!

Watching Xander's geekish glee and Buffy's reserved excitement over her new powers was just brilliant, laugh-out-loud fun.

I'm not familiar with Brad Meltzer's previous work, but his constant pop-culture geek references had me grinning from ear to ear, especially the many nods to Richard Donner's Superman movies ("General, would you care to step outside?" <--- LMAO fantastic stuff!).

Did anyone get the 'J0SHUA' pass reference? What is that from? XD

riceballalien

Spuffy for life! :D
I just finished this last night!! One thing I realized, Dawn gets dissed a lot in this one. Even Xander ignores her. I feel so bad. It turns out she is right of course!! They need to listen to her more. No wonder she is always so angsty. I would be too if people ignored me all the time.

Xander is the biggest fanboy ever. I actually thought it was super funny the way he was acting towards Buffy's powers. Yes at one point it was a bit insuffurable...but then it stopped lol Just in the nick of time.

This issue was surprisingly uneventful compared to the others. Then I got to the end...and now I can't wait to see the next issue. It is like the calm before the storm. Twilight and Buffy are about to throw down for sure. Despite my little grievances. I give it a 7/10.

nerd4hire

Certified Uncloneable
Did anyone get the 'J0SHUA' pass reference? What is that from? XD
It's from War Games.

"Look up at the sky and shout 'Spoon'" was even more obscure, I thought.

Oh...here's a good trivia question on that one. Give me the Whedonverse connection on the spoon quote.

Tranquillity

War Games! I even googled it and didn't find the answer! been years since I saw that movie. I did love me a bit of Matthew Broderick in my youth.

Answer to obsure question
Ben Edlund - creator of The Tick (who shouts "Spoon" as his battlecry) and Writer on Angel (and now on Supernatural). (and I didn't even have to google that one ;))

LyteHouse

FOX cancelled my life
Black Thorn
Thankies to nerd4hire and Tranquillity.

That was driving me crazy!

If it had been a Ferris Bueller reference, I'd have gotten straight it away lol. :tongue05:

nerd4hire

Certified Uncloneable
I was quietly musing today over something completely unrelated, and all of a sudden I was smitten with a bolt of Eureka concerning this issue. The quickly fashioned idea should have been immediately obvious upon finishing # 32, but to me at least, it was not.

Did they, or did they not totally answer the much queried question on what happens with the slayer line when one of the new slayers dies?

Apparently the power of the line does not pass on to another potential when a season 7 slayer dies, so as far as they go, what you saw in Chosen was what you got.

So that means the mention in Fray of a slayer line passing on concerned a single slayer per generation, not multiple slayers.

Also, and I think even more interestingly the power of the line did not pass into Faith. It passed into Buffy. This adds even more credibility to the long discussed theory here at Buffy-boards that the line transferred after Willow brought a regenerated Buffy back to life in Bargaining 2. Except we used to say maybe the line could possibly go through both slayers now. However, are they not saying with this new revelation, the line passes through Buffy again, and only Buffy?

Mumrik
Mumrik
OH. Excellent thought.
Kean
Kean
According to Scott Allie in his latest Q&A when someone queried about this he said that Buffy was THE Vampire Slayer, so it certainly seems that the question has been as good as answered

Spike Angelus

Vampire With a Soul
Just read it.
As a comic book fan, I love all the references to different super heroes, especially when Buffy quotes Superman for "Superman 2".

I really wasn't expecting Buffy's superpowers to be coming from dead Slayers, but I think I can see Joss taking this, and season 9, leading into Fray.

The one one thing that bugs me is Twilight. If he's really who the spoilers say he is, why would he put up with Warren designing the lair like the Enterprise?

Top Bottom