• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Discussion of 8.34 "Twilight Part 3" - Released 4/07/10 (Dark Horse) #2

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8 #34: Twilight part 3

Creators: Joss Whedon
Writer: Brad Meltzer
Penciller: Georges Jeanty
Inker: Andy Owens
Cover Artist: Jo Chen

Twilight has been unmasked. Buildings fall, oceans churn, and the earth moves as titans come together in a bizarre twist!

* Twilight part 3 (of 5)

Brad Meltzer's earth-shaking turn on Buffy Season Eight continues!

Source: Dark Horse Comics

Black Eye Guy

Taking over the World!
Black Thorn
Yeah thats exactly what I thought, Buffy and Angel was never really about that side of a relationship, they were more rooted in romance.

Stake fodder

Soulless
So this is what all the foreshadowing was about, the sexual nature of Buffy's flying dialogue at the beginning of "Turbulence", and the subtitle of Part 1: "Buffy has F***ing Superpowers." Apparently, they are literally are for that!

And I guess Angel doesn't have to worry anymore about "pure happiness" making him lose his soul?

Well, moving on. If Giles knew that creating so many Slayers would cause an imbalance in the universe, it seems like he might have mentioned it before. He isn't usually so reticent about magical downsides.

"Twilight is Angel? Ben is Glory?" That made me laugh.

TriBel

Scooby
If Giles knew that creating so many Slayers would cause an imbalance in the universe, it seems like he might have mentioned it before. He isn't usually so reticent about magical downsides.
Read it as an extended metaphor...Slayers are women with power. Power that's both inherent and inherited (in the sense there's a history to draw on). It's almost certain to cause a backlash in a predominantly patriarchal world (look at the various suffrage movements and the Women's Liberation movement). Giving women power in a wartime situation, for instance urging them to work in factories doing jobs previously done by men (and if you make it to S12 there's a certain WW2 poster that surfaces), is usually followed by a drive to get them back in the home (to restore the economic and political balance) - witness the uses to which Bowlby's Attachment Theory was put to tie woman to the home/children.

"Foreshadowing" is kinda like history (not synonymous with "the past"), which is created in retrospect, effect traced back to often multiple causes. With hindsight, certain events are accidents waiting to happen (WW2 and the Versailles Treaty for example. Shoulda seen that one coming. In a sense, Hitler's rise to power was "prophesised" and set in motion years before. It's just that people didn't follow the right clues - as they do in S7 when the find the scythe, which is hidden in plain sight...just realised...that's genius). Twilight's inferable from Angel/Liam's past (though not confirmed until later) and follows a path inscribed in and by certain models of history, certain models of mind but this doesn't preclude something as yet unimaginable happening...as it did when Buffy created the Slayers.
"Twilight is Angel? Ben is Glory?" That made me laugh.
I agree but it's also probably very, very telling.
And I guess Angel doesn't have to worry anymore about "pure happiness" making him lose his soul?
Slightly more complicated but to say more involves spoilers.

The comics take some stick and I understand why but really they're examining the same psycho-social grounds as the TV series did. From this perspective, I think they're incredibly clever. The actual stories can be irksome but I don't really absorb story so it passes me by.
Despite how much I love Buffy & Angel...I really didn't need this graphic novel to be quite so graphic about it lol
For me it's the feet and the curled up toes. They make me shudder. I think I have the opposite of a foot fetish (foot phobia?). I was obsessed with Lucifer until I realised I hated Tom Ellis' feet. Now all I see is feet...such a waste.

Last edited:

Stake fodder

Soulless
Read it as an extended metaphor...Slayers are women with power. Power that's both inherent and inherited (in the sense there's a history to draw on). It's almost certain to cause a backlash in a predominantly patriarchal world (look at the various suffrage movements and the Women's Liberation movement). Giving women power in a wartime situation, for instance urging them to work in factories doing jobs previously done by men (and if you make it to S12 there's a certain WW2 poster that surfaces), is usually followed by a drive to get them back in the home (to restore the economic and political balance) - witness the uses to which Bowlby's Attachment Theory was put to tie woman to the home/children.
Thanks for the insights! I certainly did think that people would not have hated the Slayers so much if they had been men!

Top Bottom