• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Discussion of 9.17 "Welcome to the Team" Released 09/01/13 (Dark Horse)

Black Eye Guy

Taking over the World!
Black Thorn
Ripped from the middle of a zompire battle, Buffy finds herself face to face with Illyria and a mystical council in LA. She's been unwillingly recruited to take down a former enemy while her friends in San Francisco are left in a Buffy-less lurch with dire consequences . . .

I haven't read it yet, but looking forward to seeing Illyria in it!

Mischlings

Potential
I'm probably going to have to withhold my thoughts until the Welcome to the Team storyline has finished, since any judgement of it depends on the entire storyline finishing.

But a couple thoughts anyway:

What exactly destroying the Seed of Wonder means is a little... uneven. I mean, I get that some incredibly powerful... people (is that the word?) still have some power, but I just want some sort of good explanation.

Also, with Illyria coming over, is this the first time a character created for Angel has appeared in Buffy? I know no one did in the show, but I can't remember if anyone did in Season 8 (I read it kind of quickly, so... have forgotten some things).

white avenger

white avenger
:

What exactly destroying the Seed of Wonder means is a little... uneven. I mean, I get that some incredibly powerful... people (is that the word?) still have some power, but I just want some sort of good explanation.

So far, I can't see any real reason why the Buffyverse moving away from fantasy into reality is such a bad thing except as seen by those who possessed extraordinary powers due ti being practitioners of magic. Naturally, they want magic back, and just as naturally, they would see a real threat in the fact that their source of power is drying up.

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

:

So far, I can't see any real reason why the Buffyverse moving away from fantasy into reality is such a bad thing except as seen by those who possessed extraordinary powers due ti being practitioners of magic. Naturally, they want magic back, and just as naturally, they would see a real threat in the fact that their source of power is drying up.

Mischlings

Potential

That's not my issue at all -- people who practice the magic obviously want their powers back. What confuses me is what exactly it means that the magic is gone. Illyria obviously still has some of her power given what happened, but it's never made entirely clear who or what still has power and why -- if there was a good, concise explanation given, then I'd have no problems with it, but I'm still not sure what being cut off from magic really means, given the amount of magic that still seems to exist in some form.

Stake fodder

Soulless
I love the demon that is a red balloon. Brilliant idea! And it's good to see D'Hoffryn back; I always enjoyed his character. I'm not sure teaming up with the few remaining demons is wise, though, as any of them might end up worse than Severin. Better the devil you know?

Xander screams at Dawn for coughing. He's really going downhill this season.

TriBel

Scooby
I love the demon that is a red balloon. Brilliant idea!
You're making me want to reread the comics. (I'm not...I have too many things on the go). All I can think now is Kennedy "tethering" Willow in S7; Fritz Lang's M and Lamorisse's 1956 film The Red Balloon. 🙄 Keep up the good work! 😄

Stake fodder
Stake fodder
I loved "The Red Balloon" as a kid! They showed it every year in elementary school, it seemed like.
Top Bottom