• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Discussion of Angel 11.01 "Out of the Past Part 1" - Released 1/18/17 (Dark Horse)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Vampire Angel is tormented by a vision linking his shameful past to something very big—and very bad—that is coming. The goddess Illyria gives Angel some insight and incentive. Then she really gets involved, and Angel discovers that it might be possible to change the future by changing the past.

* Writer Corinna Bechko (Tomb Raider, Star Wars) brings you the vampire Angel in his own series!
* Featuring Fred and Illyria!

Writer: Corinna Bechko
Artist: Geraldo Borges
Colorist: Michelle Madsen
Cover Artist: Scott Fischer

Source: DarkHorse

I haven't read this yet, but that summary opens up so many possibilities, and actually makes me more interested in reading it. I just hope there isn't too much Illyria

I just hope we haven't seen the last of Faith, either here, in the "Buffy" comic, or in her own series. I don't want them to just ditch her again when they sent her off to prison.
I'm hoping Faith, and virtually everyone else, makes an appearance in this comic as they are all part of Angel's past. It's a shame the writers don't think Faith can co-carry a series and it feels like Illyria/Fred is taking her place at Angel's side. What worries me is how he is going to change his future, and I hope that isn't going to effect Buffy too much as I like the way that series is going.

white avenger

white avenger
I'm hoping Faith, and virtually everyone else, makes an appearance in this comic as they are all part of Angel's past. It's a shame the writers don't think Faith can co-carry a series and it feels like Illyria/Fred is taking her place at Angel's side. What worries me is how he is going to change his future, and I hope that isn't going to effect Buffy too much as I like the way that series is going.
I haven't read this issue yet, and maybe it'll all be explained when I do, but hasn't Angel been living in Faith's house all this time? Has he relocated, and, if so, how is he able to pay for it. or has he thrown Faith out like the Potentials did Buffy in Season 7? If it's the latter (and I'm relatively sure that it isn't) there would be more than a little irony involved.

I haven't read this issue yet, and maybe it'll all be explained when I do, but hasn't Angel been living in Faith's house all this time? Has he relocated, and, if so, how is he able to pay for it. or has he thrown Faith out like the Potentials did Buffy in Season 7? If it's the latter (and I'm relatively sure that it isn't) there would be more than a little irony involved.
Good point, yes Angel is living in Faith's house. Maybe part of the new season is that Angel goes back to 'persuade' Giles to leave his London house to him not Faith ;)

white avenger

white avenger
Good point, yes Angel is living in Faith's house. Maybe part of the new season is that Angel goes back to 'persuade' Giles to leave his London house to him not Faith ;)
More likely, they'll handle it like the mansion that he lived in in Season 3. The actual owner isn't there, so Angel just sets up house.

Anyhow, whatever else happens, I'd hate to see Faith lose the place, since it is, as far as we know, the only real home that she's had since becoming a Slayer. If Angel wants to house sit while she's away, it would seem to work out well for everyone involved, just as long as he doesn't manage to get it blown up or something.

I assume that Fred's living there as well. The place seemed big enough to accommodate a whole team like the old gang from LA. Maybe he'll start recruiting some new muscle, with Faith gone.

Well I hardly recognised Angel. Not just his face, but his body type and expressions are all wrong. Fred looks like an amalgam of herself and Faith, like the artist ( Geraldo Borges) didn't know who these characters actually are and just took a guess.

The story is okay; something Angel did in the past is causing nightmares in the present (which has been done to death imo) but it could lead to something interesting and tell us something new about Angel.

And I miss Faith. We see the aunts, but Faith was co-lead and it feels like only half a story because she isn't there.

Black Thorn
Finished my reread of #1. Thought I'd share a few notes. Here is the two-page spread with Angel's vision:

Not sure who the brunette is at the bottom right. Angel and Fred are not hugging when we see them in the next pane.
It could be Kathy. They did hug in #10, even though we didn't see this exact framing.

Here are some lines that stood out to me:
  • Talking about the exorcism job they are in Dublin to do, Fred says, "You don't have to to do this, you know... Not everything is your responsibility."
  • The text bubbles on the vision pages say: "Thin. It's worn too thin! Caught by the winding. Don't be a fool...What's on the other side...No, no space left, no time left...Don't...let...them...through..."
  • Angel says of the vision, "And it was all tied up with seeing myself as I used to be--as Angelus--without a soul."
  • He wants Fred to stay out of it, but she says, "How do you know I'm not already involved? Or that this doesn't have to do with Illyria?"
  • Illyria tells Angel, "It is something you did, long ago, that is causing this. Only you can make it right. It is not of my making."
  • Fred wants to communicate with the past for clues; Angel says they don't need to because he remembers it, but Fred counters: "You remember what was important to you..." The implication in the scene is that Angel may not have recognized the importance of something that he saw/experienced in his past.
  • Angel makes a mirror joke. ("Well, does this look like a mirror to you? I have a disadvantage here.")
  • Illyria says, "I see a breach forming, ripping through the walls of two worlds. This one and the next. These small entities you called poltergeists have lived in the space between, and now they take their chance...because even they are not so stupid as to stand against what will soon be arriving."

@Grace A while ago @TriBel pointed out that in Angel's vision/dream of himself as Liam reading a book, there is a palm tree, which there wouldn't have been in Ireland at the time. It might have no significance at all, but it is an odd place to see a palm tree, and could link Liam to California?

Black Thorn
It definitely is odd, @Priceless! I'm not sure about the California reference. It seems more likely to me to be a reference to
Illyria's kingdom, where we also see palm trees. My working theory is that the three phases of the vision (Liam, Angelus and Angel) line up with the three arcs of the season. In arc #1, Angel has to "read"/learn Illyria's history, which will help him later to understand something about his life as Liam (maybe related to Kathy? It's also possibly relevant that the flashback to Liam's childhood we get in #10 with his dad involves reading). In arc #2, Angel revisits his past as Angelus (for reasons that hopefully will be clearer when I reread that arc - it's interesting that the vision makes it look like Angelus and the flower are meant to parallel each other); and in arc #3, Angel sees Kathy again, and ultimately makes peace with something about it, which we will see in the final issue.

I also reread an interview with Corrina Bechko from a year ago (the week issue #1 came out) and she said: "Over the course of this season, I hope he learns that he can trust himself more and that even some of his worst impulses can be made to bear fruit that benefits the light instead of the darkness."

P
Priceless
Lol I'm just so confused :-)

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Can anyone catch me up on Angel getting visions? Because I do not remember that (it's been a while since I read the comics lol). That just seemed weird to me. I agree that Angel & Fred don't seem like themselves. Only Illyria did for me.

I also feel like they jumped to a lot of conclusions rather quickly - "here's a flower from your vision, let's time travel". lol

A while ago TriBel pointed out that in Angel's vision/dream of himself as Liam reading a book, there is a palm tree, which there wouldn't have been in Ireland at the time. It might have no significance at all, but it is an odd place to see a palm tree, and could link Liam to California?
Isn't that a reference to Illyria's world?

Black Thorn
Can anyone catch me up on Angel getting visions? Because I do not remember that (it's been a while since I read the comics lol). That just seemed weird to me.
By reading this issue, you know as much as anyone does. Came out of nowhere, never explained.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Um, this opener is a bit of a mess. Angel and Fred are in Dublin doing 'exorcism stuff' and Angel has an 'out of nowhere' vision that leads to lots of random thoughts and observations.
Many times the characters conclusions went from A to B then straight to like R or something. Only Illyria sounded in-character.

It's not bad so far, but a bit jarring.

Mrs Gordo
Mrs Gordo
And so it begins.
Grace
Grace
Ha, I cannot wait for your thoughts on this season!